Page 496 of 1155 FirstFirst ... 396446486494495496497498506546596996 ... LastLast
Results 9,901 to 9,920 of 23087
    I have shortlisted a bunch of shorter games to play, looking for a chance to reduce my backlog.

Brainpipe: A Plunge to Unhumanity and Data Jammers: Fast Forward by Digital Eel. Brainpipe is a tube racer: avoid ostacles and collect some bonus, get the to the end of the stage. The abstract slash trippy presentation is what sets the game apart, it kinda makes the whole experience mildly hypnotic. Data Jammers has you racing on a multi-lane information highway of sorts (but the ship doesn't automatically snap to a lane), the gameplay has more variation than Brainpipe right off the bat, but all in all it's very traditional. And that's where problem lies for me, they are both revisitations rather than reinterpretations of classic concepts, cool in their own way but not engaging enough.

CreaVures by Muse (the studio behind Guns of Icarus) is a platformer where you guide these cute animals through a fantastic forest at night and collect lights to help fight the spreading darkness. You start with one creavure and meet others along the way. Everyone of them has different abilities so the idea is you need to make them work together to get past obstacles, but the levels I played didn't have much to offer in terms of challenge and variation, and although I didn't collect 100% in any of them, I couldn't see any reason why I would be compelled to do so. The high point is the way the forest and critters are presented, with a characteristic style made of strokes of blues and purples which looks like the shapes somehow emerge from the night, it's beautiful.

Critical Mass is match four in 3D, each level starts with a different structure made of colored blocks, you are given a block at a time and must remove the structure before its mass gets critical. This whole concept is not well developed (why would it go critical if I keep /removing/ blocks?), it's just a timer. While there are combos and powerups of sorts, you're not allowed to think too much or even spend time rotating the structure to find a good spot to place your blocks, because the time runs out very fast, even with difficulty set to casual. Play it long enough and you'll enter a state of focus-like concentration, but placing blocks in 3D can be tricky at times and one mistake may cost you the level. I didn't think there's any penalty for retrying, but it left me with the feeling I was just waiting to hit the lucky run - and towards the end the repetitive music and sense of urgency started to wear me out.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Asscreed II is really bad at stealth, so I cringe every time a mission brief says "without being detected". Why the hell did they think it was a good idea to do it so many times, didn't they play the game?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Playing PES2013 on PRO,world cup slovenia vs greece. Its 0-0 first half,second one i get two red cards and score two goals haha,so i'm leading but of course with 2 players in minues they got to score 2 goals back so at the ending minutes i was just kicking ball away from my goal so it was 2-2. I have 4 points on leader board,other two 3 and last one 1! buuuuuuuu i rock!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    The economy takes a little getting used to. It's easy to get yourself into a situation in which you're bleeding gold every turn with no immediate way of fixing it other than disbanding desperately needed units.

<lots of helpful advice>
    Thanks arathain, that was enormously helpful! I started a fresh game, took your advice, and am having a much easier time of it.

erf. Blitzkrieg is not an easy game...

Well, that's Asscreed 2 finished, I had a very good time with it, even if sometimes it infuriated me.
    No, ezio, I didn't tell you to fucking jump from a 200 meters tall tower without making a jump of faith, I told you to get on the top of that cross, you silly bastard.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan View Post
    Well, that's Asscreed 2 finished, I had a very good time with it, even if sometimes it infuriated me.
    No, ezio, I didn't tell you to fucking jump from a 200 meters tall tower without making a jump of faith, I told you to get on the top of that cross, you silly bastard.
    Nothing quite like the dread of getting to the top of a long, tricky climb only to see some flimsy, extra protrusion needs to be climbing up.

I loved AssCreed 2, but do resent that probably the most fun memory section was originally DLC. Good thing the PC version included them as standard.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    playing ac3 and dreading every moment. don't think i'll be sticking around much longer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Jerusalem View Post
    playing ac3 and dreading every moment. don't think i'll be sticking around much longer.
    AssCreed3 I assume? What's so terrible with it?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    AssCreed3 I assume? What's so terrible with it?
    you are correct.

the most offensive thing so far is the ridiculous amount of cutscenes. i've played for a few hours, and i think i've seen no less than 100 cutscenes (seriously). when you add in the fact that a fair amount of the sequences you "play" are merely cutscenes in and of themselves (indeed, one such scene was me riding a horse to a point off in the distance with zero control at all), it feels quite like the game is playing itself.

not to mention in the bits i /do/ get to play, i'm often doing mundane things like collecting feathers or going hunting. quite sad all around.

eta: also, it takes about 3-4 hours to actually play as connor (which was the main draw for me). not to pile on, but the combat also took a turn for the worse. one of my favorite things in the other ac games was to only counter with the hidden blade. the counter windows were varied from opponent to opponent (more like weapon to weapon, but still) and somewhat narrow. it was a challenge and it was fun. now you can mash b and counter everything and everyone. quite sad.
    Last edited by Spider Jerusalem; 19-11-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Jerusalem View Post
    the combat also took a turn for the worse. one of my favorite things in the other ac games was to only counter with the hidden blade. the counter windows were varied from opponent to opponent (more like weapon to weapon, but still) and somewhat narrow. it was a challenge and it was fun. now you can mash b and counter everything and everyone. quite sad.
    I Feared this... I loved AC 1's distraction based hidden blade fighting, every single game has gone further towards something bloated and rhythmic.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I need to stop playing PES2013 for few days haha,i got so frustrated ..

I Feared this... I loved AC 1's distraction based hidden blade fighting, every single game has gone further towards something bloated and rhythmic.
    ac1 is my favorite in the series for that very reason. i skipped revelations after not enjoying too much of brotherhood, but the new character sucked me back in (being native myself i was drawn to the idea of having a mohawk lead character). they get points for actually using the mohawk language (i always wondered why ezio didn't speak italian), but i was so frustrated by the time i got to that section (~4 hours in) i really couldn't take it all in.

Ezio speaks italian some times. Lampshaded by the animus having a translation program that didn't work all of the time.

In Dishonored:

Emily is terrible at hide and seek.
    It's so dark I didn't realize that you unlocked the safe by flipping the numbers on the front.
    Very Hard is not hard at all as long as you don't get caught.
    Guards don't care if their colleague's severed head rolls leisurely across the ground in front of their feet.

Also, I'm surprised that the supernatural powers took so long to show up. I was expecting some arcane figure to say "Here, have some superpowers and this cool mask, now go get revenge." Instead, there's a whole bunch of people that give me an assortment of gadgets and tell you to go kill some people, and then someone completely different gives you superpowers for no apparent reason. That's a bit strange.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    I've just sadly watched the series go the route of the unnecessary filler content.
    The first game had flags to collect and Templars to kill, both were easy to ignore and only do if you saw one.
    The second added the feathers and chests (boring but easy to ignore), the Prince of Persia style tombs (which I loved), and manuscript pieces (which were fun to get and never a chore).
    Brotherhood I haven't played but from what I can gather has just added the follower system, which seems ok.
    Revelations though, again I haven't played but I can't stand tower defence which is what that game decided was needed for some reason.
    And now AC3 has introduced crafting. I fucking loathe crafting, as it is always, ALWAYS implemented in a fiddly manner. Especially if the menu screens need to work for gamepads. It always just takes so much busywork, but unlike flags or feathers ignoring crafting feels like you're missing part of the game.

I just don't see why this stuff was necessary in my AssCreeds.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    I need to stop playing PES2013 for few days haha,i got so frustrated ..

I see allot of interest about PES2013 so here are the latest news! I beat Saudi Arabia 4-0,which is exactly the same quality as Slovenia! So i proved the point that i play with equal teams i can beat them! :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    http://twinbeardstudios.com/frog-fractions

This little web game is fucking amazing. There is way more to it than what it seems on the surface, but I don't want to spoil anything. Play it through until the end.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Some little games to hold me out until Hitman and Assassin's Creed 3 hit tomorrow, mostly Sine Mora and Renegade Ops, both very cool games. Also replaying strategy games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    SiN Episodes: Emergence. Damn, what a stupid game. It has some meaty weapons and it's full of explosive props but it looks like Quake 2, the story forced on you is stupid and intrusive and the puzzles suck. I abandoned it when it introduced monsters.