Page 50 of 1206 FirstFirst ... 404849505152601001505501050 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 24111
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BobsLawnService View Post
    Why can I not put Space Siege down? Does this mean I have terrible taste in games?
    It actually means your soul isn't in your body.

Don't anyone DARE to post "Deus Ex HR, lol" here.

well I think xenoblade is amazing but keep in mind that thats obviously no guarantee that you guys will like it, I don't want to be responsible for people putting money down on a game and not liking it. probably worth noting though that the cast are all British, acting is alright and the translation seems to be spot on so far (original Japanese voice track is on there too). its a real shame this hasn't gone to the USA, even worse that you guys aren't getting the last story either.

Rab's been banging on about it on twitter also.
    I can also confirm that you can indeed walk to all of that, and that what you see there isn't even half the map he is currently on.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I tried Bit.Trip.Runner and finally completed the stonkingly hard penultimate level of the first zone. Of course, now the boss is killing me with its "I know, let's give you as short a time as possible to react to anything!" which I don't really appreciate.
    runner is so hard that by the time you get to the final zone you will look back at those early levels and think about how easy they are. it eventually stops being about skill or level memorization and becomes entirely about button presses as a reflex action, you simply don't have time to think about anything.

this is where I stopped playing, I could get almost to the end of the level before I reached my limit, 3-9 is harder I think but I was just burned out at that point and couldn't go on.
    spoilers I guess...

Last edited by 8-bit; 23-08-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8-bit View Post
    AWESOME BIT TRIP RUNNER SKILLS
    Shit fuck man. I'm stuck at the end of world 1.

:(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    star wars Episode 1 Racer

what an epic underloved game.

stuck at second race of the last tier. the one where you can fall one level and it is over for you. its so frigging hard!

Just played through Torchlight. It wasn't very good. Way too repetitive. The whole Black Palace bit made me almost deinstall the game right on the spot. Before it, I died about six times through the entire span of the game and by the end I had 30 deaths accumulated. I can't remember the last time I had to suffer through such an utterly unenjoyable final section in a game. When I wasn't one-shotted by dark zealots, I had a dozen of those green skeletons in my face. Not cool.
    That said, I played an alchemist and focused on summoning (Lore) and my build was, well, beyond overpowered. Just to give you an idea: there is one skill that reflects 30% of the damage done to minions back on the attacker for a couple of seconds. I only ever invested one point in this skill and it absolutely wrecks champions and bosses. However, this kind of gameplay is not really supported by the game. You never know how wounded your minions are or even how many of them are out. You can't control them at all and they get constantly stuck, especially in areas with lots of stairs and narrow passageways like the prison. And, worst of all, there is no aggro system whatsoever, meaning that mobs constantly attack you unless your minions physically block the path. Cue lots of Benny Hill chase scenes.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post

stuck at second race of the last tier. the one where you can fall one level and it is over for you. its so frigging hard!
    Yes, wonderful game this, except for it being too freaking hard. A straight "HD" conversion and it could be released today and still be excellent. I still consider F-Zero GX to be the pinnacle of the racers-wot-go-stupid-fast-around-geometrically-implausible-tracks genre, but in my view the upgrade/economy/customisation systems of Episode I: Racer (and other titles such as Extreme-G III) are things wot both genre stalwarts F-Zero and Wipeout could stand to learn from. Actually I think Wipeout should dump weapons in favour of such an upgrade/economy/customisation system, whereas F-Zero should pick up weapons.
    Last edited by Rii; 24-08-2011 at 03:22 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Played some of the W40K: Space Marine demo and didn't enjoy it, which is disappointing after reading and watching stuff about it. I do have a general problem with third person games, it's very rare that I enjoy them, but SM also just felt kind of messy (and not in a good way) to me.
    I'll probably give it another try at some point.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8-bit View Post
    runner is so hard that by the time you get to the final zone you will look back at those early levels and think about how easy they are. it eventually stops being about skill or level memorization and becomes entirely about button presses as a reflex action, you simply don't have time to think about anything.
    The problem I have with Runner is that it's a rhythm game where you're expected to already know the rhythm. Compare, say, Free Bird in Guitar Hero. My favourite song on that version (2) and it's the second/joint hardest song in the game. Now forgetting the fact that I already like it, which makes me enthuthiastic anyhow, I can practice all the sections of it as much as I want, not to mention I'm allowed to make mistakes.

Now, if you see Runner as a platformer, compare it with say, Mario/Sonic or Super Meat Boy. In the case of the former, there are check points so a mistake isn't as costly. In Meat Boy, restarting is instant and the levels aren't too long (barring those in Chapter 6 and the odd few scattered around elsewhere).

Whatever way you look at it, you're given chance. Runner is completely demoralising in its instantaneous level restarts and silly-quick reflexes that make it neither a great platformer or rhythm game. I'm not saying the game is bad, but I am saying it's disappointing the game has gone for an artificial difficulty, whilst the four other games I've mentioned all become difficult at some point, but either have great difficulty curves or are still lenient on you where it matters. And naturally, as that video is evident, it's obviously possible, but what's scary is that I'm playing on normal. There's a harder difficulty. What the hell is powering that?!

I think Runner would be a far more enjoyable game if it played up the game aspect a little bit more and was nicer to the player. Or perhaps I got it the "Secretly Hard" version for buying it in a sale!

Anyhow, Runner aside and despite my temporary loathing of STALKER, in the last two days I've gone back thanks to the Call of Pripyat (with Complete mod). After turning the difficulty down from my SoC run, and giving myself a good weapon to start off with combined with a healthy dose of money (pretending to be a crappy Stalker my arse. I'm military, I'm going to go in there prepared), I tried to enjoy the game and bypass its less-good mechanics. Namely the gun-play, which is better in that bullet sponges have gone, but it still feels off. It's also still not running amazingly. Some textures aren't great, pop-in for grass and shrubs is hilarious and every so often I get completely random stutters. The rest of the time, it runs perfectly fine. I read somewhere that it only utilises one core in a processor. I have no idea how true that is, I may investigate. Regardless, the game DOES look nice, so long as you're not looking at your guns.

Still, it's been fun to play. Side quests have been alright, although I'm clearly missing the trigger for loads. I've investigated all the helicopter sites; I liked how they all had little obstacles to get to. It's a far better game than Shadow of Chernobyl, but I'm finding the environments in CoP not as interesting. The emissions are cool and having to duck for cover and sit inside as noises and colours swell is pretty awesome. The lingering thunder afterwards as well makes for quite the screenshot. Anyhow, I don't think I'm too far away from completing it, but there is something I'm having a slight issue with.

[Spoilers]I'm about to go into the tunnels to Pripyat; Zulu recommends another pair of hands, as I only have the guy with the debts in Yantov Station whose name I've forgotten and the soldier who was sitting with the scientists. Everyone else I've asked didn't want to go, including that hermit guy with the dog who you meet at the beginning of the game. Any suggestions? In addition, I've met with the Monolith group and tried to ask in Yantov if Freedom or Duty want them. They both don't trust me yet and the only thing I can think of is that I give one of them all the papers I found while investigating Jupiter. I don't want to do that because I think one of the factions will get too powerful, but seemingly without anything else, I can't get the Monolith guys to do anything and I'd quite like them to join me in Pripyat. Suggestions are more than welcome.[/Spoilers]

So yeah, I can see CoP being easily finished before the end of the week, bringing the backlog down to just 9 games! Then it's just a case of seeing what else I can finish before the new titles come out...

[/Essay]
    Last edited by The JG Man; 24-08-2011 at 03:57 AM.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

@ The JG Man:
    [spoilers]
    You have to support one side. There's a few things that I'm pretty sure improve your standing with one faction.
    Giving them the Duty trader's (Morgan, I think his name was) PDA.
    Giving them General Tachenko's (sp? Founder of Duty) PDA.
    Informing them about Magpie (instead of telling Gonta).
    Hiring them as guards for the scientists.

I usually give Magpie to Gonta, then do the other three in favour of one faction.

A couple walkthroughs I found say that the PDAs are most important for recruiting the ex-Monolith squad, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. If you've already done all these, you're probably out of luck.
    [/spoilers]
    It's not totally necessary to recruit everyone. I didn't even know those guys existed my first time through.
    Last edited by ZamFear; 24-08-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post

Can you tell me how to get it running in Windows XP? I had a blast with this back in the day but I've never gotten it to run on the aforementioned platform.

Yup, star wars racer was one hell of a game. Only good thing I can think of that came from that film. Shame it won't run on modern OS' (I've never got it going post ME). I guess if GOG get the LucasArts library...

**looks at the thread title**

Mass Effect 2, because I like to be fashionably late.
    Disclaimer: The above statement or statements are most likely completely incorrect, incoherent and a little insulting to boot. Please disregard immediately and contact the closest person or persons with the ability and will to restore your faith in humanity.

Ok, so, Prime 2 is a wrap: 98% in 22 hours. Yes, I used a walkthrough. And... I dunno. Someone earlier said they found the game 'slightly disappointing' and halfway through I would've laughed off that idea. But now... I get it. The odd thing is that I don't know what to point to as engendering that feeling. It's not like the second half of the game doesn't feature some great stuff, because it totally does, and all the improvements I noted previously over Prime 1 stand. I think mostly it's that the game simply wore out its welcome toward the end, much as the original did. I don't think I have the patience for 20+ hr 'continuous' games these days, and I'm constitutionally incapable of temporarily putting them aside, playing a different game for a while, and returning a few days or weeks later: I lose the atmosphere, my mental map of the game state, etc. I am disappointed that the narrative didn't live up to its early promise re: Dark Samus and inter-factional fighting.

One thing I should give the game credit for that I didn't note previously is the wonderfully inventive enemy design, both an improvement over the original game (which was no slouch in that respect either) and superior to pretty much any FPS game I've encountered. I particularly liked the floating drones in Sanctuary Fortress that when they weren't lasering you, deflecting shots with their shield and breaking target lock with their ECM field would hit you with an electro-magnetic pulse which would scramble your visor image and force a button-mashing reboot, which in turn would result in BIOS-esque text scrolling up your visor as your systems came back online. Awesome stuff. I often allowed myself to get hit with it just for kicks. Best boss award probably goes to Chykka.

I look forward to checking out Prime 3 for a whole bunch of reasons, not least of all because from what I've read it sounds like it makes the awesome even more awesome and the frustrating much less so, but I dunno when I'll get to it.
    Last edited by Rii; 24-08-2011 at 07:39 AM.

Finished Machinarium last night. Despite my overwhelming desire to write many words about the game, I will not, seeing as none of them would come out even a bit smart. All I can do, without making a fool of myself, is to recommend it to anyone. Genre preferences shouldn't really play a role here.

I mean, what a game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BobsLawnService View Post
    Can you tell me how to get it running in Windows XP? I had a blast with this back in the day but I've never gotten it to run on the aforementioned platform.
    no idea. i really don't.

when i installed it on my amd 3200, 4850 machine with xp3 i couldnt run it. the game was all white and i couldn't see anything properly

but it works on xp now.

i am using my old computer with geforce 5800 and 2.8 Pentium 4 and 256 MB of ram (updated yesterday to 1GB as everything was painfully slow with modern programs like browser and antivirus)

i would say that xp is not the issue but the graphics card or maybe directx. try removing directx and install an 8 version??

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZamFear View Post
    *Spoilers of usefulness*
    It's not totally necessary to recruit everyone. I didn't even know those guys existed my first time through.
    I don't remember the part at the Rangers station, although I imagine I did do it, which also means I sold it. Oops. I've yet to find an upgraded detector, so I guess that's out the window. So I HAD screwed up, I knew it! Ahwell, I could magically make them appear, but I'm good I guess.

And fair enough on the last point. I shall advance like I planned. Ta for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    I don't think I have the patience for 20+ hr 'continuous' games these days
    I think it's more that developers don't have the patience to make enough content for a 20+ hr continuous game. I've played plenty that haven't outstayed their welcome and lasted double that. The result is a game that starts off well, but then kind of drip feeds its ideas out so you're left with something that you can see beginning to stagnate before possibly rising back up again for the finale.

As it goes, I got 2-4 hours into Prime 2 and I just gave up. I wasn't interested in what was going on. Similarly, I got about 9 hours into 3 and gave up because again, I just didn't have the interest to play it. There's some great design in the Prime games, but something in there doesn't always click for me. Prime 1 was good, I just couldn't fully enjoy the other two enough to finish.