Page 502 of 1136 FirstFirst ... 24024524925005015025035045125526021002 ... LastLast
Results 10,021 to 10,040 of 22712
    Well, that's Waking Mars wrapped. It was wonderful, and I can't recommend it enough.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Any suggestions for some nice 2D game for my sister,she tried to play new Alice but she sucks with mouse..

What kind of stuff does she like?

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    What about rayman legends with a controller?

Just started playing krater, tis quite nice actually if fairly mindless. The lack of customisation is somewhat annoying as is the repetition but the world is lovely and it feels quite nice to play. I'm Pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Any suggestions for some nice 2D game for my sister,she tried to play new Alice but she sucks with mouse..
    FLY'N.

In fact, you should play it too. Alternatively, World of Goo.

(I'm not getting predictable, am I?)

Also consider Portal 1/2 and Psychonauts for things 3D.

Last edited by LTK; 24-11-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    VVVVVV is always great, as is Capsized.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Also consider Portal 1/2 and Psychonauts for things 3D
    Or Gateways, basically a 2D portal with some changes. Although it felt like it would make me wait a bit too long before I'm granted the other guns and too much backtracking for my tastes, there's a demo to check out and it's really, really, really cheap.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    @sonson

Thanks for that. To be honest, I'd decided after playing with it a bit to put it aside again, on the grounds that the tactical battle interface still feels incredibly awkward to me. Getting troops lined up reasonably and moving cohesively seems like a real chore. You've convinced me to take one more stab at it though. Any advice with respect to the tactical interface? Maybe there's some hotkeys I don't know about?

On a separate note, after my failure with Shogun 2 I decided to give Scourge of War another try. I'm having some technical issues though, so can't comment beyond noting how intriguing the premise is.
    Last edited by vinraith; 24-11-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Plenty of the Civ4:Col multiplayer game we have going, its a wonderfully well refined game, its a damn shame that it didn't make a bigger splash when it came out.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Vinraith - what I do to get my units moving as I want them (up til the battle where I want to move them all individually anyway) is set up my battle line at the start, and then put them all in a single control group - this means (if you're unaware) that they'll maintain their positions and formations relative to each other at all times - cavalry won't run ahead, archers will stay behind infantry, etc. It makes closing the distance in good order much easier - you just set them up how you want to approach and they'll stick to it. And, like I said, once I have closed, I move everything individually anyway.

vinraith: I specifically ran into trouble with Shogun 2 formations and grouping. This worked for me: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...g-in-Formation

Once I got that down, going with several smaller command-keyed groups in separate formations was very manageable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I showed her the games you mentioned and she didn't liked them. What she likes you ask,well its kinda strange,she liked Guilty Gear Isuka XX2 (fighting game),The Walking Dead series and am,there was one game she used to play all the time but i can't remember which one,she can't remember as well lol.. Otherwise she wants something more serious,i showed her Heavy Rain and she liked what she saw but its only PS3 title and we have only PC.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    I showed her the games you mentioned and she didn't liked them. What she likes you ask,well its kinda strange,she liked Guilty Gear Isuka XX2 (fighting game),The Walking Dead series and am,there was one game she used to play all the time but i can't remember which one,she can't remember as well lol.. Otherwise she wants something more serious,i showed her Heavy Rain and she liked what she saw but its only PS3 title and we have only PC.
    Inner monologue:

A)You shouldn't.

B)I know, but it's wrong!

A)I know, too, but you still shouldn't.

B)But... but... it's wrong! Wrong!

A)Sigh... you still shouldn't, and you know it.

B)But I can't let it be like that! I have to point it out!

A)Christ... you're gonna do it no matter what I say, huh?

It can't be Guilty Gear Isuka XX2, that doesn't exist! It's either Guilty Gear XX2 or Guilty Gear Isuka!

In which case, she might be interested in BlazBlue Calamity Trigger. It's quite outdated by now, what with Continuum Shift, Shift EX and now in arcades Chrono Phantasma, but it's the only BlazBlue game out for PC (kinda hard to find though, certainly not on Steam) which is another fighting game saga by the same people behind Guilty Gear.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Otherwise she wants something more serious,i showed her Heavy Rain and she liked what she saw but its only PS3 title and we have only PC.
    If she liked Heavy Rain, she might enjoy its predecessor Fahrenheit (or Indigo: Prophecy if you're North American) which was released on the PC. Be warned though, that while the game's plot starts out fairly seriously, it becomes completely insane further down the road.

Alternatively, what about one of the many point-n-click adventure games the PC has to offer? Monkey Island 1 and 2 are currently 50% off on Steam, for instance.

Edit: Completely forgot. The Longest Journey may be the best recommendation for someone who likes point-n-click adventure games for their story rather than their puzzles. And it's 60% off as well.
    Last edited by fiddlesticks; 24-11-2012 at 09:40 PM.

I haven't played the Walking Dead games, but I think they're basically point-and-clicks with a few quick-time-events? If she likes serious point-and-clicks she might like Gemini Rue or the Blackwell games. At least some of the Blackwells have demos. Don't feel obliged to start at the beginning of the series - try one of the later ones.

Waking Mars is a lovely 2D game, and the mysterious atmosphere might be serious enough for her, but it's quite puzzle-y mechanically and it sounds like she may not like puzzle games.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    @Serengoose & Bobtree

Many thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    If she liked Heavy Rain, she might enjoy its predecessor Fahrenheit (or Indigo: Prophecy if you're North American) which was released on the PC.
    FTR Fahrenheit is available for 2.49$ on Amazon US. I really enjoyed that game even though the story goes batshit and the whole ending feels rushed.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M18X8E/
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    @Serengoose & Bobtree

Many thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try.
    As an addendum to using that method:
    When moving the control group it is sometimes best to hold RMB and click to the point in front of the left most unit about level with where you'd like everyone to move, then spin the mouse round (still with RMB held) so you can see exactly on the terrain the units will move to and release when it's perfect. It sounds weird but that's the best I can explain; moving control groupswill always have the units in the same formation, but sometimes the game will interpret your command to "move forward xx paces" to "move forward xx paces and rotate about the centre of the grouping by 57.2 degrees", which can mess up a plan tremendously.

Also, make sure you use the "Show Unit Destinations" key when moving troops around. It'll show any placement/facing mistakes like those caused by the above or just by accident.

Playing Wargame: European Escalation and wondering whether I have the time, patience, or interest to make it past this infuriating second mission. I think I have legitimately gotten too old for this shit.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    FTR Fahrenheit is available for 2.49$ on Amazon US. I really enjoyed that game even though the story goes batshit and the whole ending feels rushed.
    Fahrenheit may have one of the strongest opening chapters to be found in a video game. Doesn't take long before it all goes to hell, though. Batshit crazy may be a huge understatement ...