Page 503 of 1167 FirstFirst ... 34034534935015025035045055135536031003 ... LastLast
Results 10,041 to 10,060 of 23328
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    @sonson

Thanks for that. To be honest, I'd decided after playing with it a bit to put it aside again, on the grounds that the tactical battle interface still feels incredibly awkward to me. Getting troops lined up reasonably and moving cohesively seems like a real chore. You've convinced me to take one more stab at it though. Any advice with respect to the tactical interface? Maybe there's some hotkeys I don't know about?

On a separate note, after my failure with Shogun 2 I decided to give Scourge of War another try. I'm having some technical issues though, so can't comment beyond noting how intriguing the premise is.
    I've been having so much fun taking Japan apart through diplomacy and religion that I haven't fought much for the last decade to be honest, so I can't speak with too much experience. I found putting the army in one of the set group formations (Ctrl+A to select all, G to group all, then click on the Group Formations button, one of the more generic sounding ones will be less confusing I'm sure) worked as far as advancing a good distance goes, if you do that then the whole army will advance in that order. Holding space bar shows a ghost placement for the selected units so you never need to guess if you use that as well.

But then when you get close you need to start tinkering if you want to try and control matters, unless you have much better troops you'll lose lots of men if you just fight it out in a classic line, I've found that you can only win well through manouevure and more than two units at most is unweildy to control in a group at that stage. Morale shocks are the key to getting a battle line to crumble, if you don't plan where to concentrate your force things will be drawn out and messy at best as it turns into a a pretty war of attrition.
    Last edited by sonson; 25-11-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Network Hub
    Played through the last episode of Walking Dead. Wow. As everyone else has been saying, it's the most emotionally stirring game I've played in a long time. Can't wait until Season 2.

I'm also checking out the Torgue DLC for Borderlands 2 with my Lvl 50 Gunzerker. Good times, good times...

Checking out Vindictus and maybe LOTRO later. Gonna pop that MMO cherry ;)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    HAH!!! I just finished VVVVVV!! Screw you "The Final Challenge!" i finally beat you!

Started playing Darklands last week. Wandered into a robber knight's castle to see what would happen, realized I was in way over my head, couldn't figure out how to scroll the battle screen to escape, only option was to surrender and let them beat me up and take all my money and weapons. Spent the night in a little town that turned out to be filled with bloodthirsty cultists, but this time I figured out how to scroll the screen and escaped unscathed. Then two of my party members were eaten by wolves, and eventually we were all killed by some bandits.

Really cool RPG so far. Planning to start over soon, and noticed when I went to mess around with the character creation again that I had missed the point where you can assign skill points. So next time I'll know how to play and I'll know not to mess with robber knights right at the start!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    HAH!!! I just finished VVVVVV!! Screw you "The Final Challenge!" i finally beat you!
    It's like war games the movie. The only way to win is not to play
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    ... but did you collect all the trinkets?

I bagged Hotline Miami from the current Steam sale. it's decent enough; feels like a mashup of Grand Theft Auto 1 and Super Meat Boy. I can't quite understand why everyone's raving about it though. Perhaps it's just one of those games you either 'get' or you don't.

I've also made a start on Assassin's Creed 3. There's something comforting about playing Assassin's Creed to me, I find it relaxing just pounding the rooftops, looking for vantage points and admiring the view.

That said, it has taken AC3 a little while to get going, but now I'm in the first city it feels much better. I don't know where this new guy 'Connor' is that all the previews mentioned though, I've started - and am still playing - the game as some random English dude (with an incredibly good voice actor though).

I'm still playing Natural Selection 2. It's interesting watching the progress of the community in this game. A lot of the rookie servers have disappeared from the server browser since launch; and people are slowly getting more skilled at it. I haven't had many of the epic, one-hour plus, games that I had in NS1 but I'd say it's only a matter of time.

I do wish there was some kind of automatic team randomisation in servers though. I've encountered a lot of stacked teams in matches, and it isn't very fun to be constantly on the receiving end of a hammering.

I tried playing PlanetSide 2, but it really doesn't like my PC. I haven't been able to play it without experiencing a crash to desktop. A shame, since it looks very interesting. I'm gonna wait for a couple of patches to see if that makes a difference.

Tried Crayon Physics Deluxe from the latest HIB. When the game first came out I decided not to get it based on the demo, and now I see that I was right in that decision. Ah well, I only bought it for Waking Mars anyway. I'll get around to playing that once I'm done with Dishonored, and Mark of the Ninja. Or, I think I'll play them in order of purchase. I could probably use a break from stealth after playing Blood Money, Metro 2033, and Dishonored in a row.

Dishonored is too hard to put down, though, and I have a lot of assignments to do, so instead of getting all stabby-stabby I play a few levels of Fly'n every night to wind down and still manage to get enough sleep.

Finished the German campaign in Blitzkrieg last night. I thought it was just another chapter, but then it suddenly ended (though, maybe the fact that I was given a Maus should have tipped me off). Feels a little ... disappointing. I had expected something with Berlin or such, but the final mission just takes place in the country side. Maybe they didn't expect anyone to get that far...

Still have the Allied and Russian campaigns left, plus the Burning Horizon/Rolling Thunder addons, but those two seem to be too much of the type of missions I don't much enjoy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    1567, and the moderate and peaceable Christian empire of the Hattori continues to make the best case for the position of Shogun in war torn Japan.

The boundaries in the East between the Hattori and their allies was recently rocked by militant Christian fundamentalists who rebelled against their former Tsuitsui, and Buddhist, masters. Fortunately on each occasion the Hattori armies were on hand to quell the rebellion and establish control in the province for the alliance, thus quenching a dangerous fire.

Things became contentious when the Tsuitsu Metskue (secret service) accused the Hattori of inciting the unrest-the very thought!-and attempted to arrest Hattori missionaries on trumped up charges. Presumably the hurt at the subsequent loss of their provinces blinded them to the realities of the fact that they had simply failed to control their people.
    Fortunately any conflict between the two clans was averted by the sad and untimely death of the two agents in question. Although a tragic event this nonetheless prevented any diplomatic escalation. Through their wisdom and faith the Hattori have thus doubled the size of their empire without declaring war on any Daimo, and the centre of Japan enjoys benevolent stewardship and remains a peaceful model of government set against the futile and self seeking imitations of lesser men.

The Hatttori Daimo nevertheless continues to fund the war efforts of a various clans in an attempt to establish by proxy a similar assurance of control and order elsewhere in the kingdom, although sadly it has only led to the stunting of other clans and wars of attrtion. The Hattori are thus, most reluctantly beginning to consider whether it might be better for the land were it united under their proven and prosperous leadership. This would of course be most regrettable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Finished the German campaign in Blitzkrieg last night. I thought it was just another chapter, but then it suddenly ended (though, maybe the fact that I was given a Maus should have tipped me off). Feels a little ... disappointing. I had expected something with Berlin or such, but the final mission just takes place in the country side. Maybe they didn't expect anyone to get that far...

Still have the Allied and Russian campaigns left, plus the Burning Horizon/Rolling Thunder addons, but those two seem to be too much of the type of missions I don't much enjoy.
    I think the last level of the german campaign was meant to be a bit alt-history, what with you having a maus and it being set in a field. A rout of allied forces or something? I can't remember, since when I last finished the german campaign I was still at school. Still, makes me want to play it again. Blitzkrieg was an excellent puzzle game.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    I think the last level of the german campaign was meant to be a bit alt-history, what with you having a maus and it being set in a field. A rout of allied forces or something?
    yeah, that would make sense since you have to win all the battles to get that far. I guess it would have been a bit odd to end it with you losing the war then.

I can't remember, since when I last finished the german campaign I was still at school. Still, makes me want to play it again. Blitzkrieg was an excellent puzzle game.
    It is. It's very unforgiving, even on Normal difficulty (I wouldn't dare Hard), but it somehow manages to strike a good balance between frustration and the feeling that you are able to win if you do things right.

I had played it years ago and I was sort of wishing for something that would grab me like it and Sudden Strike did in the past when it came on sale on GOG. I'm glad I got it.
    Pathfinding is not good, though, and it gets worse the larger tanks you get. It can screw things up a bit at times.

Banned
    Played a bit of Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. Game lags like hell on my system - 25 fps normally, then 10-ish when in foliage and among enemies. Turning off dynamic lighting and shadows doesn't seem to do anything so i'm wondering what's going on. Still the game is damn fun. I've been using the Knight with the bastard sword. Struggling to figure out the weapon distances - also doesn't help that i'm fighting at 10 fps. Anyone got any tips on combat?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Just had one of the most intense matches in PES2013,i played with Shakhtar Donetsk against Juventus. In first half we scored 3 goals,in second they returned fire with three goals as well so at the end we had to defend our goal and we kept the result till the end!

I've got Jerusalem.
    I've got a huge army.
    I don't have enough money.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Theme Hospital. Turns out three bathroom stalls isn't enough to accommodate a hundred people. There's puke everywhere, rats running wild, and the King of the Netherlands just gave me a bad review. I could use a breather to fix it but more people keep showing up with their petty life-threatening injuries.

Look what you've done! I've just downloaded CorsixTH.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan View Post
    I've got Jerusalem.
    I've got a huge army.
    I don't have enough money.
    So you're playing Crusader Kings 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Labbes View Post
    So you're playing Crusader Kings 2?
    Medieval 2, actually.
    Sadly, I suck at economy on Total War games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    May i suggest Stainless Steel for Medieval 2.