Page 511 of 1234 FirstFirst ... 114114615015095105115125135215616111011 ... LastLast
Results 10,201 to 10,220 of 24679
    I did a lot of quicksaving yesterday and yeah, i agree it's much more fun to be chased by guards after being detected than just trying again and again to get that perfect 'ghosting' run in one level.

Also, I found a few assassins along the way to the Golden Cat after doing some favours for Slackjaw. Won't say they're easy but time bend is always useful in combat, iirc. I wonder if they're expecting me to come to them after saving the kid.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    I'm starting to get impressed with Dishono(u)red. That Golden Cat mission was great. I just figured causing an 'unfortunate accident' with the steamer is much more satisfying than breaking the door down and slicing the twin's throat.
    I took the non-murdering path with the twins, which is sort of "fate worst than death" thing.
    Yesterday I finished the bridge mission and I think I had enough of ghosting in dishonored. Time to use the sword a little more, even at a risk of getting the "bad" ending.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by F. Lynx Pardinus View Post
    "Oh, look, 2 sides are fighting. I have an idea, I'll shoot them all in the face, to teach them a lesson."
    If it was like Deus Ex HR I'd knock them out and trap them in a vent by moving a vending machine so they could talk out their differences.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    So I finally gave Planetside 2 a go. As expected, it's basically Battlefield 2142: Meh edition.
    - the art style in this game is seriously crap, everything looks like GI Joe
    - the performance is pretty horrible despite the fact that the game looks surprisingly unimpressive, especially the textures in "hard to reach" places(hint: they're not hard to reach WITH A JETPACK)
    - speaking of jetpack, when you make a soldier you're instantly pushed a) into a class, b) into a squad, and c) into an (almost) certain death in the current meatgrinder. Nice
    - glitches, glitches everywhere
    - The class division is weird, some classes seem weirdly OP/exceedingly useful(engineers, medics) and some mostly useless(Light assault - yay, jetpack, so you can surprise one enemy by jumping on a roof and then get instantly waxed by 20 of his buddies; or infiltrator with a sniper rifle that doesn't kill enemies even with a headshot)
    - unlocks seem to fall into two categories: must-have(more health, etc.) and a lot, LOT of crap you'll never buy because what's the point, really(most weapons which all have almost identical stats, scopes, etc.)

The gameplay as mentioned is a meatgrinder. And sure there can be a lot of players at once, but it doesn't really automatically make the game better, it just makes it a bigger meatgrinder. I really see no difference between three people spamming grenades down a corridor on a Titan and thirty people standing on a hill taking potshots at enemies on the walkways. I had one situation just like this, where we took an enemy base by literally doing just that; for an hour it was hill vs. base(or house vs. base, or a slightly different hill vs. base) where no progress has been made, millions of rounds were fired, and when we finally managed to capture the damn thing it was the most unimpressive victory in my gaming career. It literally seemed as if the enemy simply got bored and just let us have it because jesus, a whole hour of spam(hour I've been there. Might've actually been longer).

Yeah, the map is huge, but you'll never see or use 90% of it. Sunderers(Because Galaxies fly, and there's ridiculous oversaturation of AA in the game) get conveniently placed next to every base, so all the buffer areas/midfield(to use a T:A term) never gets fought over. The map really could be simply cut into pieces of facility + some surrounding terrain and for 99% time you're playing it wouldn't make a slightest bit of difference.

But then it would quite literally be BF2142: Meh Edition. Minus Titans. And aircraft that you can actually fly for more than thirty seconds. And with better art style. And with better weapon selection. And...

Exactly the same thoughts as my,and game scored 90 on PCGAMER haha..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    It does get better than the pre-Vizima stuff, although the game has a wonderful tendancy to fill every chapter with some form of annoying bullshit. For the Vizima stuff: hope you enjoy that swamp area as you'll be seeing it a lot. And fuck everything about it and the constant swarm of enemies who spawn in it. Honestly that whole area is the main thing that puts me off the game these days.

I do find it a very overhyped game by some people, so I'm with you on that. But I can kind of see where they're coming from. Where it fails as a game it could be said to make up as a unique experience. It does things other RPGs are scared to do.

For example, without giving anything away there's a quest to solve a murder which involves collecting clues and interviewing people. There's a number of witnesses and at any point, even when you have all the clues, you can accuse them. In a Bioware game (as the RPG standard example) when you find the 'extra' piece of evidence a magical new conversation option appears that makes everything better. In The Witcher there is no new option and if you accuse the wrong person you could piss them off, making them unreceptive for the rest of the game. So just because the option is there, doesn't mean you should take it; you're encouraged to read the info you've collected rather than let the game do it for you.
    Stuff like that is what makes it stand out. And to some people that elevates the game to a whole new level, forgiving many of its sins like I do with Planescape Torment or FarCry 2, for example. And like I'm sure most other people do with their favourite games.
    One of the best things about the combat mod is that it greatly reduces the number of monster spawns, there are more people than monsters in the world now, which makes sense to me at least

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think I am the only person who thought that the Outskirts was wonderful.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    One of the best things about the combat mod is that it greatly reduces the number of monster spawns, there are more people than monsters in the world now, which makes sense to me at least
    Maybe I will play it again sooner than I thought then. I've heard about the combat mod but tend to approac all Overhaul Mods with scepticism.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I think I am the only person who thought that the Outskirts was wonderful.
    It's wonderful as a setting and has a nice load of diverse areas. But the constant stream of Drowners, Drowned Dead, Blutsauger things, Kikimores, Wolves, the hard-as-nails (mainly because of the silly status effects) Wyverns in the north and those fucking plant bastards really takes its toll after a while. That and all the walls or blocked areas often mean it can take ages to get anywhere.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I meant the Vizima Outskirts in chapter 1, not the swamp, which is rather irritating, although pleasingly challenging at times. I like the Bloedzuigers, it's fun trying to kill them without getting hurt.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    DOW2R - good old 1v1mp, after a long break I won 6 games and lost one. Apothecary player called me a noob. Good times.

BF3 - since I started playing with HUD off my stats went down fast, still hunting for good pictures is fun.

Far Cry 3 - fun game, unrealistic and proud of it( probably fastest player character since Quake age), not much to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

I'm giving Anno 1404 Gold a whirl. Gosh, it's complicated - I've never played Anno before, and the Venice add-on seems to over-write the tutorial levels in the original game with more difficult scenarios (even the ones called "classic"), so I'm learning by doing, and by failing, and occasional reference to a wiki.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Quote Originally Posted by Avish View Post
    I took the non-murdering path with the twins, which is sort of "fate worst than death" thing.
    Yesterday I finished the bridge mission and I think I had enough of ghosting in dishonored. Time to use the sword a little more, even at a risk of getting the "bad" ending.
    Pretty much all of the nonlethal options are a fate worse than death. Just wait until you meet ex-High Overseer Campbell again.

Also, killing a handful of people in each mission isn't going to affect the chaos level dramatically. In the mission where you're up against the assassins, I killed ten of them, ten bodies were discovered, and I still got a low chaos rating.

picked up Miasmata from gog and played about an hour of it. it's definitely a different game. quite beautiful and very immersive. basically you've been condemned to an island and you have some kind of disease or something. the main goal is to cure yourself. you try to find different types of plants and bring them back to a lab to put them under a microscope, this will reveal any type of healing qualities the plant of fungus might have, or anything else of interest. you have to drink water which you can find in pitchers or natural water sources, mainly puddles. which can be hard since most of the water is salty. don't think there's an eating mechanic, if there is, i've not seen it yet. the game does tell you when you're thirsty though and your view/vision gets distorted e.g. tunnel vision, black and white visuals. there seem to be 2 ways to save the game. 1) lighting candles 2) sleeping in a bed.

I would say, from my short time with the game, that it's definitely worth the price of admission. which is only $12 i believe. if you're looking for something a bit different, something a bit niche, i don't think you can go wrong with this one.
    Lookin' 4 Indie Bundles? We track 'em! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pertusaria View Post
    I'm giving Anno 1404 Gold a whirl. Gosh, it's complicated - I've never played Anno before, and the Venice add-on seems to over-write the tutorial levels in the original game with more difficult scenarios (even the ones called "classic"), so I'm learning by doing, and by failing, and occasional reference to a wiki.
    Play without the expansion and try the campaign, I think that has the tutorial.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    I'm currently playing not a lot of videogames. Instead playing a lot of violin and occasionally studying for exams, which leaves me with one or two evenings a week that I fill with the usual bout of BF3 (over 300 hours clocked now, haters gonna hate). I'll potentially have several weeks of delicious free time over Christmas though, looking forward for some mass gaming at that point.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I meant the Vizima Outskirts in chapter 1, not the swamp, which is rather irritating, although pleasingly challenging at times. I like the Bloedzuigers, it's fun trying to kill them without getting hurt.
    The Outskirts I forgive more than a lot of people and do actually quite like it as an extended-introduction sequence. It does a very good job of introducing you to the world; depicting the murkiness, racism, zealotry, hypocrism, xenophobia and conflict that characterise it. But like so many things in that game it drags on longer than it should and the area is larger than it should be, leading to lots of running between places which waste time. Also the boss fight is one hell of a ramp-up in difficulty and I've know it to put a lot of people off.

The leads me to one thing I've wondered if I've always missed: is there anything to do about the status effect Pain? It's just the biggest dickmove in the game when you constantly get paralysed by something for several seconds.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Another backlog game finished, Tiny Bang Story. At least I think it's finished; there doesn't seem to be a clear ending as such.
    Pleasant game. I assume it's mainly what is called a Hidden Object game, with some other puzzle types thrown in.
    Like many reviews say, they seem to have taken a very long look at Machinarium before deciding on a graphics style, but that's not a bad thing and the music is pleasing too.

Also tried Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, but it crashed for no apparent reason after the intro screens, so I didn't get far with that.

Started Gemini Rue too, but I'm not sure I have the patience for the style. I'll give it another chance, though.

And I played a fair bit of Cogs. It's sort of ... nice, but it leaves me a bit too indifferent.

I'm starting to get the military aspect of Crusader Kings II by uniting the kigndom of Ireland.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I just leveled an alt to cap for the first time in any MMO I've ever played.

I dunno what to make of that.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Play without the expansion
    How do I disable the expansion once I've installed it?

Thanks!
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Will type my thoughts on Max Payne 3 later but for now I just want to say that it has the most ludicrous approach to violence. This is a game where you can differentiate where you shoot someone in the face to the degree of milimeteres but also the game where you can shoot someone in the hand, foot, *neck* without them skipping a beat or it affecting their ability to shoot you one jot. Blood literally gushing out of their throat while they shoot back at you unperturbed.