Page 516 of 1206 FirstFirst ... 164164665065145155165175185265666161016 ... LastLast
Results 10,301 to 10,320 of 24103
    Played a bit more Darklands but frustrated with the repetition required. I have another job to kill a local raubritter, but my guys are basically too weak to take him on, so it seems I have to wander around my city killing bandits until they get stronger. Kind of tedious.

I'm also not sure I'm using the different kinds of attacks properly. I'm going to try experimenting a bit more.

Played the rest of World of Goo. It got great! Wow, I've been ignoring this for a while, but it was so much more varied and charming than I ever expected. Really happy I played it.

Started McPixel. Blech. The game is literally "traverse the entire tree of possible actions," and it's not really charming or funny enough to make up for it.

On the other hand, I switched to Jamestown, and it is delightful! Art and music are lovely, controls are smooth and levels are challenging and satisfying; the many gradations of difficulty create a steady learning curve with minimal frustration. The story is bonkers but played straight, which I always appreciate. And you can play in nice bite-sized chunks.

Quote Originally Posted by Krathor View Post
    By this point my patience was wearing thin and when I came across the generic knight NPC, laid by the roadside who granted me a generic quest, I basically said 'fuck this' and alt-F4'd.

9/10
    You can skip the tutorial. It's not representing the game in any way.

The tutorial was a late addition to the game, because people complained about the prologue being too difficult and not telling you how to play the game properly. It's quite true, but nothing an average gamer can't handle.
    Anyway - I believe they "cliche'd" the tutorial to make things as clear as possible.

The only cliche'd thing I remember from the main game is that dwarfs are the usual drunk Scottish miners.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Welcome to my personal gaming groundhog day. Solium Infernum, Civilization 4: Colonisation, Bloodbowl and a few riddler tokens and a few fist fights in Batman: Alcoholics Anonymous.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Playlist for me for last week and the remainder of this week

Sleeping Dogs - great game so far. Melee system isn't as good as Batman, but I wasn't expecting it to be. Good story, nice arcade style driving and nice use of collectables actually mattering.
    Planetside 2 - pew pew laser guns
    Gravity Rush (Ps Vita) - Bought a PS+ membership and got this among other games for it. It's alright. A lot of people say it's one of the better Vita games. I think it's just that I don't have any appreciation for Japanese style games and the fact you play as a typical looking, quirky anime chick isn't helping matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    I though we supposed to kill Daud...
    Well yes...you can indeed kill Daud but there are non-lethal ways to take out all the targets in the game. I think you only need to pick pocket Daud just to let him know you were there and could have killed him. But knocking him out has the same effect really. If you want to take vengeance for the Empress then substitute strangling for back stabbing ;)

Quote Originally Posted by LTK
    Myself, I'm playing Mark of the Ninja, and so far I don't quite see the magnificence everyone has been talking about. The controls are actually giving me more trouble than in Dishonored and Fly'n. Maybe I just need a break from stealth games.
    I've just started to play this and went through the first level using mouse + keyboard and found it extremely frustrating. It might have been because I wasn't paying attention to the controls but the ninja just stuck himself to walls sometimes and it would be really annoying to make him let go. I ended up with a crap score because I just didn't get how to do silent take downs either.

I then replayed the level with a Xbox controller and found it much better, it might be because I knew the lay out of the map and exactly what I was meant to do but the game felt a lot better suited to a pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    I've just started to play this and went through the first level using mouse + keyboard and found it extremely frustrating. It might have been because I wasn't paying attention to the controls but the ninja just stuck himself to walls sometimes and it would be really annoying to make him let go. I ended up with a crap score because I just didn't get how to do silent take downs either.

I then replayed the level with a Xbox controller and found it much better, it might be because I knew the lay out of the map and exactly what I was meant to do but the game felt a lot better suited to a pad.
    Silent takedowns are done by clicking and dragging the mouse in the direction of the arrow after you initiate an attack. I thought it was a nice mechanic. TotalBiscuit described it as a quick-time event, but that's wrong, it's not time-limited at all. You just have to take care not to act too quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Silent takedowns are done by clicking and dragging the mouse in the direction of the arrow after you initiate an attack. I thought it was a nice mechanic. TotalBiscuit described it as a quick-time event, but that's wrong, it's not time-limited at all. You just have to take care not to act too quickly.
    Indeed, on my first play through, I was under the impression you had to be quick to do it and that the arrow always pointed in the same direction. So I never stopped to look at what it was actually telling me to do. I might go back and try it with a mouse + keyboard, the game certainly didn't feel impossible with them, but a controller just feels far more natural for these 2D games.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    The last three weeks were quite a success in terms of "scratching things off (off of?) my backlog"; this is all the more satisfactory as I haven't been able to complete anything since July/August prior to that. So "Hurray" for Driver: SF, Alice: MR, Rayman: Oranges, The Walking Dead, Spec Ops: The Line, To the Moon, Psychonauts as well as for my second playthrough (hard difficulty) of Batman: AA. Hurray!

Therefore I decided to start my very first playthrough of Dark Souls. I think "WTH am I doing?!" describes my feelings during the first few hours best. The game tries its best to explain nothing more than the basic controls. Which ... oddly enough, seems to add to the feeling of being in this surreal and mystifying world.

Due to having read a few pieces about its core concepts I tried to approach situations with extreme caution (which didn't prevent me from dying an awful lot). This cautiousness evolved into outright paranoia when the first player note I discovered only showed the word Liar ...

I'm not sure if I like it yet, but it is somewhat captivating.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    Therefore I decided to start my very first playthrough of Dark Souls. I think "WTH am I doing?!" describes my feelings during the first few hours best. The game tries its best to explain nothing more than the basic controls. Which ... oddly enough, seems to add to the feeling of being in this surreal and mystifying world.

Due to having read a few pieces about its core concepts I tried to approach situations with extreme caution (which didn't prevent me from dying an awful lot). This cautiousness evolved into outright paranoia when the first player note I discovered only showed the word Liar ...

I'm not sure if I like it yet, but it is somewhat captivating.
    Welcome to Dark Souls, basically. Don't feel ashamed about looking at the wiki if you get lost.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Mark Of The Ninja highly overrated.

Crysis.
    I've just left the alien cave. Vox populi says that I should stop playing now. How long do I have left to finish the game?

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Mark Of The Ninja highly overrated.
    Care to elaborate?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    And why describe something that many, many people have really enjoyed, including respected critics, as overrated, rather than simply saying you don't like it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Crysis.
    I've just left the alien cave. Vox populi says that I should stop playing now. How long do I have left to finish the game?

Just a few hours, but it's all suffering. From dodging tornadoes in a flying mini van to running and in and out of am irradiated room watching your health regenerating culminating in the most awesomely terrible boss fight ever.

There is one good fight just over a bridge outside the "cold" where it felt right, the rest of the game post Korean mini gun commando fight scene is dross.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    And why describe something that many, many people have really enjoyed, including respected critics, as overrated, rather than simply saying you don't like it?
    I can't speak for DaftPunk, but to me "overrated" doesn't translate to "I didn't like it." It translates to "I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, based on how other people have reacted to it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Crysis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Just a few hours, but it's all suffering. From dodging tornadoes in a flying mini van to running and in and out of am irradiated room watching your health regenerating culminating in the most awesomely terrible boss fight ever.

There is one good fight just over a bridge outside the "cold" where it felt right, the rest of the game post Korean mini gun commando fight scene is dross.
    I'm one of the seemingly few people who did enjoy C1 after the ship and thus, disagree with everything...apart from the part I've boldened. That part was dire. Everything else I found fun!