Page 518 of 1167 FirstFirst ... 184184685085165175185195205285686181018 ... LastLast
Results 10,341 to 10,360 of 23338
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    OK, I was talking about the unconscious side of things. I think everyone does some unconscious generating of opinions they don't really hold. By which I mean, if they thought hard and honestly about it they'd change their stated opinion.
    But you started by defining "overrated," and those people you mention are not the ones doing the rating.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    But you started by defining "overrated," and those people you mention are not the ones doing the rating.
    I don't understand what you mean. I would say something is overrated if I believed that the people rating something highly wouldn't rate it so highly if they thought about their opinion harder and more honestly.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

I don't understand what you mean. I would say something is overrated if I believed that the people rating something highly wouldn't rate it so highly if they thought about their opinion harder and more honestly.
    Which "the people?"

Paid reviewers?
    Random bloggers?

Paid reviewers know exactly where they stand. So do random bloggers. They haven't failed to discover themselves. It's when your opinion doesn't gel with their consensus where you get the disconnect.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The people who I'm claiming are overrating something, obviously. I don't believe that people's stated opinion always coincides with their actual opinion, and that sometimes this lack of coincidence is not deliberate on their part. That's what I'm saying.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

The people who I'm claiming are overrating something, obviously. I don't believe that people's stated opinion always coincides with their actual opinion, and that sometimes this lack of coincidence is not deliberate on their part. That's what I'm saying.
    Well ain't that the vaguest statement stated today.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Ah, semantics. When you start quibbling over the definition of a word you know you've gone down the wrong argumentative path. There are plenty of ways in which a thing can be overrated - reviewers can apply bizarre criteria, for example, awarding a high score on the basis of good graphics, in lieu of any discussion of gameplay. The only reason why i posted was that i was a little unnerved by the snap reaction to something that wasn't relentlessly positive. You wouldn't get that kinda reaction in a discussion of films, or books...

*edit* I feel like i should also do my part to get us back to the actual topic, since i contributed to its derailment. Been playing through Deus Ex: The Missing Link, having completed the first (just once) shortly after it first came out. The gameplay is like putting on a nice old pair of slippers. Finding it hard to muster the enthusiasm to read through all of the little notes, but it feels nice to be back in the world, after all this time.
    Last edited by qizarate; 06-12-2012 at 01:37 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Every goddamn time... I can't mod a Bethesda game into a playable state without losing all interest in playing it. I've been in an open world mood between SR3 and FC3, but Fallout 3 (bit of a theme there) completely killed my momentum. Might as well give Morrowind another go (at least Overhaul is already installed and ready to go) to complete the quartet.

Finally finished the Primordia demo. It's fairly long, more than Resonance's - and it's gone straight to my wishlist.

The voice work is probably the best I've encountered in a Wadjeteye produced game. Nonetheless I would have liked it better if the protagonist went to Brian Silliman because I really liked him as Azriel in Gemini Rue, instead they went for Logan Cunningham, and I'm feeling a bit disillusioned about the reasons. Abe Goldfarb is cast here once again as the sidekick, only I found he works much better as Crispin rather than the jaded private eye he's supposed to be playing in the Blackwell series.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    *Bad words about Logan Cunningham*
    I will kill you in your sleep.

Also, you've just convinced me to download the demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Also, you've just convinced me to download the demo.
    You of all people needed convincing? sheesh what has the world come to..? BTW there's an interview where Dave Gilbert says he picked Mr. Cunningham because Silliman would have sounded too much like Azriel(?!), but they do sound very much alike to me. As much as I'm sure Mr Cunningham is the coolest guy around, I'm still feeling bad for Mr Silliman, I can't see him doing another Wadjet Eye adventure ever again :(

Finished Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe New World, I can't really recommend it to anyone (the humor is silly, the best thing about it, as I probably have said already, is the artwork - but that alone won't keep a game afloat), however mark one more off the backlog. Yay!
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Got properly addicted to Endless Space after the free weekend on Steam. Had to go and purchase the game straight away on the Sunday evening when it stopped being free. And really enjoying the game so far. Been a while since I played a 4X game, but it was surprisingly easy to get into. Got something like 20h in, but not beaten single game yet. One strange thing about the game is the way developers try to push that odd currency thingie, which is used for voting whatever next piece of content will come. Uh like I have time for something like that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Just a few hours, but it's all suffering. From dodging tornadoes in a flying mini van to running and in and out of am irradiated room watching your health regenerating culminating in the most awesomely terrible boss fight ever.

There is one good fight just over a bridge outside the "cold" where it felt right, the rest of the game post Korean mini gun commando fight scene is dross.
    That's one of the best bits in my opinion, when you relieve the soldiers in the hut, then you're in the jeep (or not, I suppose) and going down the cliff, and you see the big thing killing the dudes. Then there's the appalling VTOL level afterwards though.

I still think Crysis is a good game on the whole, very good for large chunks actually, just the poor bits are truly awful.

Anyway-

Max Payne 3, done. The game where strong narrative elements and stunning prodcution meets a world in which everyone has a subscription to painkillers but conviently forgets to take them and leaves them lying in every other room, and in which one man can headshot-not even kill, just headshot-over one thousand people. I know this number is accurate becuase the game tells me I've done it. I have played battles in Shogun 2 where one thousand people haven't killed one thosuand people. The game is a peerless definiton of Ludonarrative.

Still a very enjoyable game, but it could have been really something. Combine LA Noire with someone as rounded and impressive a character as Max and you ahve something genuinley stunning I feel. It would have made far more sense for the psychotic Cole Phelps to just shoot everyone all the time as well.

As it is it's a narrative game with far too much shooting or a shooting game with far too much narrative, and I am stunned that nobody once thought to question whether a game which so desperatley aimed for cinematic realism should be about a sardonic alcholic shooting 1,365 brazilains. I have never seen that film.
    Last edited by sonson; 06-12-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    I still think Crysis is a good game on the whole, very good for large chunks actually, just the poor bits are truly awful.
    The game I love is about sneaking around shacks and jungles killing men by throwing turtles at them, no amount of aliens can take away from that. It still is 60% a incredible game.

Civilization 4: Colonisation god damn hills, these wagons are useless without roads. With any luck I'll be able to rush and get a few roads built. The king still thinks I'm loyal at only -1, but I needed to hold on to my 0% tax rate as long as possible, there's no point holding off on inciting independence if you are going to get taxed at the same time.

Zombie George Washington still hopes to realise independence for his Undead population.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    The game I love is about sneaking around shacks and jungles killing men by throwing turtles at them, no amount of aliens can take away from that. It still is 60% a incredible game.

Civilization 4: Colonisation god damn hills, these wagons are useless without roads. With any luck I'll be able to rush and get a few roads built. The king still thinks I'm loyal at only -1, but I needed to hold on to my 0% tax rate as long as possible, there's no point holding off on inciting independence if you are going to get taxed at the same time.

Zombie George Washington still hopes to realise independence for his Undead population.
    I liked hiding under the peer and pulling people under water. Also dropping bodies on top of other people. The latter I have done in every game that permitted it, it started about a decade ago in Thief II and I have it down to a fine art now. Although throwing bodies at people in Bioshock wasn't as fun.

Well, I've finished Crysis and it wasn't that terrible. I enjoyed it overall.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Yeah, people are way too critical of the last part of the game. The aliens are not as interesting as the human enemies but they're still fun. The final bossfight is stupid, but the transition level inside the mountain is awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    Yeah, people are way too critical of the last part of the game. The aliens are not as interesting as the human enemies but they're still fun. The final bossfight is stupid, but the transition level inside the mountain is awesome.
    I think one problem is that most people never actually played it. It had high specs when it came out and everyone dismissed it as a "tech demo".

Then combine that with people wanting modern military manshoots (look at the other threads on Crysis where people whinge that there were aliens at all), and that didn't help.

Sidenote: Anyone know of any good deals on a pre-order of Crysis 3? I have no interest in the multiplayer, but my current run through of the series again reminds me that, while flawed, Crytek is one of my favorite devs.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    You of all people needed convincing? sheesh what has the world come to..?
    Blueh?

Only other Wadjet Eye game I've ever played is Gemini Rue, which was ok but didn't really grab me and then all of a sudden started crashing whenever it felt like it for no apparent reason, I couldn't fix it no matter what I did and I promptly sent the game to the dark side of the moon.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post

It wasn't that terrible ?!?! Are you serious mate ? Tell me what kind of fps games you play if you think Crysis belong to "It wasn't that terrible" kind of game,jesus people.

Could you please stop overreacting to everything?

I was referring to the ending. The alien section, as I was talking earlier about it in this thread.

But actually, I do think Crysis is a good shooter but it isn't the best thing there is either.

OMG! SOMEONE HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION THIS IS INCONCEIVABLE!