Page 522 of 1258 FirstFirst ... 224224725125205215225235245325726221022 ... LastLast
Results 10,421 to 10,440 of 25157
    Chryssalids! Fucking chryssalids! Wat the fucking fuck! STOP. REPRODUCING. ALREADY, LIKE WAT DA FUCK
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Just finished Hotline Miami in the morning (was a blast) and started FTL sometime midnight after work. Lovin' every minute of it so far.
    Support Fruitbat Factory to play the best Japanese indie games in English. Our games 100% Orange Juice and War of Human Tanks are on Greenlight.

Finished dihono(u)red a couple of days ago and I have to say that, although it took me around 25 Hrs to finish it (mostly non-lethal + exploring a lot), I still feel like I want more from this game. Not in way of "more levels", but in a way of seeing the more of Dunwal and it's surroundings. to see some people in it and not just guards and weepers.
    I enjoyed stealthing my way toward my targets, but I always felt like i'm saving a dead city and not a place worth fighting for...

So now I'm mostly playing AssCreed 3 and having fun. although the game likes to challenge you with many pointless things to do, it's still fun, looks great and well written.

Besides that, I'm playing red faction: Armageddon: Very good TPS, that probably lost many sales due to people expecting a sand box game and not a linear shooter.

Also - Defender's quest. Best tower defense game I played in a while.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Just become Shogun! I had some mixed feelings about the whole Realm Divide concept but I think it really gives the game legs at the point when you’re usually reaching critical mass. I have 25 years to conquer another 20 provinces so there’s no way that’s not happening, but the concept gives a sense of flavour and interest that will push me on to actually accomplish that.

This is in no small part down to the new nice touches which are triggered when you take Kyoto, you get some special ceremonial units and an increase in tax yields, even you save game file goes from “Clan name-year” to “Clan name Shogunate-year”. They’re just small touches but they do an excellent job in marking the moment as significant. If you’re about on equal terms with other clans it would give you something of an edge, and if like me your more of an over mighty faction it sort of enshrines that in an official sense, turns the game into more of a cat and mouse, sheriff hunting down the outlaw thing. What counts is that the moment you become Shogun is recognised in both a practical and narrative sense, the game acknowledges where you’re at and makes it part of it rather than it just being another box ticked. It feeds the fantasy, but for wholly plausible and mechanical reasons.

I think this is why Shogun 2 is so very good, and succeeds whether other TW, and most grand strategy games in general, have collapsed under their own weight. It is transparent and honest, the story flows from the game and the game, being without hidden AI bluffs and factors, gives right back to the story. There’s no need to suspend belief anymore, no phantom armies, no ruined economies being injected with gamey surplus, no mighty island factions being land locked because they can’t use boats, no immunity from agents and espionage and diplomacy because the AI can’t use them. What you see, and what you do, is what you get, and the AI players are bound by exactly the same factors. This makes it plausible and tangible and real in a way that few, if any other grand strategy games manage.

Even at this stage, on normal difficulty, I am having to *think*, because a few careless turns will still cost me enough to splutter to the point where I might get stuck in a war of attrition. I can’t fight a war on two fronts without it ruining me, so have to use espionage and incite revolts in the West to weaken the advancing armies there so that I can concentrate on the East. In any other strategy game this simply wouldn’t be the case because I would either be able to steam roller everywhere without pause for thought, or the challenge would be too great because the AI would be being supported from bonuses and buffs beyond my control. Either scenario is a bore. Whereas here, Shogun 2 seems to have cracked it, and it’s unbelievably rewarding and immersive for that. Reaching the end game, the story and challenge are still gripping. They’ve evolved, they’re different, but they’re still real and entirely fair and plausible. The game is where it is becuase of how I've played, how the other factions have played, and it makes total sense.

I always felt that the TW games, even in spite of their massive bugs, were unfairly maligned. There are still very few games which attempt to be as ambitious and big in terms of concept, AI, ideas and challenge as they do. I thought that their buggyness and failings which just part and parcel of trying something on the scale they were, and unavoidable as a result. I was quite done with them though, I thought they had shown me all they could in this regard.

But Shogun 2 is all of the things that are great about TW, polished and prettified and working to an unreal extent, and I as a result I share the same sort of amazement at it’s existence as I did when the first Shogun was released. It is so far ahead of the curve in every aspect-especially the AI in this instance-as far as grand startegy goes and is a privilege to play quite frankly. Can't wait to get back to it, then try the various other campaigns (Rise and Fall) in good time as well.

I finished my first playthrough of Torchlight 2. Found it outstanding. The combat is really fun, there are so many different types of enemies to keep it fresh all the way through. Also so much attention to detail and so much content that the 20 dollar pricetag is mindblowing to me. This could have been a 60 dollar game and I probably would have been satisfied with a purchase.
    My only gripe is that there is no built in way to reset your skilltree. You can do it with mods but you will be labeled a cheater online upon doing so. I just think it negates experimentation in favor of sticking with known qualities.

Other than that its tons of fun, and I will certainly run through it at least once more.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Finished Borderlands 2 on True Vault Hunter mode. Somewhat frustrating as single player - what with enemies that can just lay the smackdown in one blow and rat bastards (no, that's really their name) that steal half a million offa you if they get too close - but crazy fun as co-op as they throw hordes at you and you beat back hordes.

Discovered a savegame editor by the same dudes who made one for Mass Effect that allows me to skip the whole "raid for top gear and hope for a drop with a rate of 0.5%" silliness by simply allowing me to put in the codes for gear straight into my inventory. This would be a game-breaker for a competitive game, but it's a co-op game so who gives a shit?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    I think this is why Shogun 2 is so very good, and succeeds whether other TW, and most grand strategy games in general, have collapsed under their own weight. It is transparent and honest, the story flows from the game and the game, being without hidden AI bluffs and factors, gives right back to the story. There’s no need to suspend belief anymore, no phantom armies, no ruined economies being injected with gamey surplus, no mighty island factions being land locked because they can’t use boats, no immunity from agents and espionage and diplomacy because the AI can’t use them. What you see, and what you do, is what you get, and the AI players are bound by exactly the same factors. This makes it plausible and tangible and real in a way that few, if any other grand strategy games manage.
    How do you know there's no phantom stuff going on in the background? Just because there is an absense of fresh enemy armies appearing from crippled nations or are you able to track their economies through spies/espionage? Or is this something that some corner of the internet has done lots of research on?

You make the game sound great and I can't wait to play it. It may well have just moved to the front of the queue of Games To Play When My Thesis Is Submitted And I Have A New GFX Card.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Far Cry (1). I might like to try Far Cry 3, but my machine is a far cry from meeting the recommended specs.

I'm challenging Trine's curse. The first time I played that game, some two years ago, some cap on my motherboard passed away. After several failed attempts to finish it, this time I'm using the pad. Combat is surprisingly pleasant now, although drawing boxes with the thumbstick takes some time to get used to.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

I have no idea what to play.
    There's not a lack of games, just a lack of interest in any of them at this moment.
    I might just pick something random form my steam library.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I have no idea what to play.
    There's not a lack of games, just a lack of interest in any of them at this moment.
    I might just pick something random form my steam library.
    Your steam community page says you've not played any of Metro 2033 and very little of E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy. Based on knowing nothing of either game but owning both but having not played either I've decided for you to play either of those!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Because of 1.02 patch i needed to create new savefile for BECOME A LEGEND in PES 2013,so i created new version of me and this time,i also picked name for commentator so he can yell it all the time i get the ball.. ILČ ILČ ILČ! hahaah its so awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    While I'm having such fun playing through the C&C games again (doing the Tiberian series and then I'll do the Red Alerts), it frustrates me how there are simply not more games like this. Westwood did such a good job, they all still feel very fun, and not so annoyingly old as to be unplayable. Ah well. Awesome music, too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    How do you know there's no phantom stuff going on in the background? Just because there is an absense of fresh enemy armies appearing from crippled nations or are you able to track their economies through spies/espionage? Or is this something that some corner of the internet has done lots of research on?

You make the game sound great and I can't wait to play it. It may well have just moved to the front of the queue of Games To Play When My Thesis Is Submitted And I Have A New GFX Card.
    A few reasons. A) Because the CA devs have said it numerous times, and shown their working as it were, B) the community have essentially confirmed it and C) The AI acts as if that's the case. Now maybe there's still smoke and monkeys and everything going on and they're not telling the whole story but all that matters is that the palatable reality is C) in spite of whatever is actually happening underneath the hood.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I spent much of the game sending out spies to see what was going on so I can give a pretty rounded picture of what the AI was showing. The only way I can describe it is that the descions and consequences of AI behaviour make total sense, and are not offest by something strange and at odds with what should be possible.

Early on, for example, most factions had one or two huge stacks of doom with ludicrous experience and so on, way grander than my armies, the sort of thing which made me think that nothing had changed and that the AI was being buffed from somewhere outwith the parameters of the game. I soon relaised however that unlike myself these were empires on the total warpath, fighting and taking provinces more or less every other turn, and so were simply ramping up their experience through constant battles.

A few turns later two met each other and basically wiped each other out. Fifty years later and without the empire to fund them and the military conquests to fuel their experience nothing approaching their level has resurfaced. It makes sense. A struggling faction shouldn’t have a big stack when they visibly don’t have the ability to fund it-and they don’t. Not ever. When you play TW you get used to scouting past the first big stacks invading you to see how many more are coming, in spite of how it might be that an empire half your size can field three times as many troops, because that’s what the AI does to pose a challenge in TW games. Not here. Never have I been about to have a massive ding dong only for another two armies to come over the hill. They give it their best and if that isn’t enough-they’re in trouble. Just like it has been for all of history. Armies are expensive, so you either have to get them to pay for themselves through conquest, or you use a small one and are fucked if it loses. That’s exactly what happens in this game. It’s so simple but works better than pretty much anywhere else I’ve seen it.

Whereas in most other TW in any iteration it's usually the case that the only way to stop a faction is for it to die, the majority of the AI factions in this campaign simply over extended themselves and they suffered all of the penalties for that-revolts, being taken apart by smaller ambitious factions, the economic cost. They took each other to pieces, without any interference from me, I saw it happen, I could plot would was likely to happen (“that guy’s empire is going to burst if he’s not careful”) and it did. No unstoppable war machines unaffected by supply and the need for economic development anymore. Peaceful nations get battered, aggressive nations get too big and ganged up on. You have to get the balance and are rewarded for doing so, but it requires a constant reassessment of everything that’s going on for that, and everything that’s going on is changing all the time.

The only two empires which have lasted are mine-and I made the deliberate decision to consolidate for about twenty years and play the others off against each other-and another faction who stopped to do likewise. If you don't, the criteria for steam rollering is basically impossible to meet. It’s always been hard for a player, but here it seems just as hard for an AI faction as well.

Likewise I made the effort to destroy a faction through targeting their economy through acts of sabotage, and everything mirrored that. I saw them struggle to field good units, I saw their diplomatic prosperity status fall, and eventually they were picked off by other clans. Whereas in other TW games such actions would have been fun narrative flourishes but mechanically pointless for all the real effect they had, in this game I’ve crushed a faction through economic warfare, without ever sending an army against them. Said clan reacted to it all, tried to arrest and kill my agents who were causing all the problems, and our diplomatic relations suffered without ever breaking (they were an ally..hummm.)

It’s all about reaction, organic stuff, things rarely stay stable, you’re always trying to impose yourself onto each other, player and AI, using everything you’ve got, probing and fencing and looking for a weakness. That’s a sort of subtletey which most startgey games, especially TW ones, don’t remotely manage. It’s either you’re a cultural powerhouse, a military powerhouse, or you get splatted by one or the other. This game is all about the struggle to become that-to become Shogun!- rather than the game in which you reach that point after 20 turns or incongruously face off against 10 other factions all as strong as each other who hate exclusively you. It feels like a keenly contested race rather than a game of Risk, you see clear winners fall off or become amazed when your tiny vassal is somehow as big as you and wants to kick your ass all of a sudden.

I’ve seen alliances break coalitions, I’ve broken coalitions myself through diplomacy. Everything works. It might not be totally as transparent as the game devs say, but all that counts is that everything has a purpose, for everyone, they use all of it, and it all works brilliantly. Whther it’s an illusion or otherwise, the AI puts on a total show of competence and complexity which makes for the best narrative and satisfying challenge I’ve ever had in any grand strategy game, and I’ve played pretty much any you’d care to mention.

I almost didn't even play it, I bought it on release due to hype but was so jaded by the previous games I thought "more of the same" and never intended to play it once I had got over the initial excitement. I only loaded it up becuase I got a new PC and wanted to see how big a battle I could run on it. Just sort of fell into it after that and it's basically turned out to be the best strategy game I've ever played all told.
    Last edited by sonson; 10-12-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Atwa View Post
    My only gripe is that there is no built in way to reset your skilltree. You can do it with mods but you will be labeled a cheater online upon doing so. I just think it negates experimentation in favor of sticking with known qualities.
    There is a way to respec without being flagged. Start a new game with a disposable character and make your way to the Estherian Enclave. Once you're there, use the console to create a respec potion (type "respecpotion" without the quotation marks) and put it in your shared stash. Now you can switch to a different character, take the potion out of the stash and use it. This works because drinking the potion doesn't mark you as a cheater, only creating it does.

Alternatively, you can simply download this mod which automatically gives you a nearly unlimited supply of respec potions. A fair warning, it does overwrite your current shared stash, so if you have anything particularly valuable in it you should create a backup save.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    You don't need any bait to hunt rabbits. Just take your axe and stand on the hole to cut them off before they can hide in it. They only need one hit.
    Oh! That's good to know. Should save a lot of time and hunger.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    There is a way to respec without being flagged. Start a new game with a disposable character and make your way to the Estherian Enclave. Once you're there, use the console to create a respec potion (type "respecpotion" without the quotation marks) and put it in your shared stash. Now you can switch to a different character, take the potion out of the stash and use it. This works because drinking the potion doesn't mark you as a cheater, only creating it does.

Alternatively, you can simply download this mod which automatically gives you a nearly unlimited supply of respec potions. A fair warning, it does overwrite your current shared stash, so if you have anything particularly valuable in it you should create a backup save.
    Or, easier than either of those and with no drawbacks, you could just use rapid respec:

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43248

Keep the character legitimacy toggles checked in the lower left and you won't be flagged as a cheater.

After 100%'ing Far Cry 3 (Great, but good god there are some really disappointing parts) I'm kind of stuck for games...

Playing a bit of FTL again after downloading a few mods (Mainly the mod that changes the Kestrel to the Millennium Falcon)
    Tried PES after reading DaftPunk ramble on about it for the past 5-6 pages :P Excellent premise for a sports game mode, but I *really* am not into foot-to-ball... Give me a decent Rugby game or even decent (Blood Bowl exempt) violent sport game (In the vein of Speedball/Dead Ball Zone/Brutal Sports Not-Foot ball) with this mode and we'll talk :)

Sod it, going to GoG to re-download Theme Hospital.
    Yes, I update the below link frequently on a whisky fuelled rampage. I regret nothing.

Being a grumpy bastard about everything gaming related.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Or, easier than either of those and with no drawbacks, you could just use rapid respec:

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43248
    Neat, thanks for the link. I should have figured that someone came up with a better solution since the last time I checked.