Page 527 of 1260 FirstFirst ... 274274775175255265275285295375776271027 ... LastLast
Results 10,521 to 10,540 of 25185
  1. #10521
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,323
    Damn you! You came back with a twist -.-

  2. #10522
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,333
    To be fair, I was only "This is decent" with regard to the original Crysis before. And I mostly bought Crysis 2 to support a PC-focused title and out of pity for their master keys getting leaked (and was very pleasently surprised). Warhead was always great though

    But this time in Crysis 1 I didn't bother with stealth for the most part. Instead, I used the suit to increase my survivability and only cloaked to displace (a la Batman or SC: Conviction) before re-engaging. Was VERY fun.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  3. #10523
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,313
    Took a nostalgia risk and started up Sacrifice again, properly this time.
    It. Holds. Up.
    Excellently.
    So much is like I remember it all those years ago, except now I don't suck as I know better what I'm doing and haven't come fresh from the C&C school of tank-rush. It's all about winning the zero-sum game of souls, and if that means ensuring you fight on the high ground or near your manalith or near some guardians then make it so.
    The setting, characters, story and voice acting are all top notch too.

    I'm happy I've got it running well too. That nVidia fix stopped the crashing problem while the Control Centre let's me run it in 1600x1200 not stretched - black bars down the side of the screen which I'm entirely fine with.

  4. #10524
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,345
    Reaching the final boss of Quake's first episode has dug up shreds of fragments of patches of memories of having fought the lava monster before. The memory is so distant that I can't tell whether I'd played it before or after Quake II, because I'm pretty sure I hadn't played any shooters before Quake II. It's a strange sensation. Quake itself is quite fun, although I really doubt that it can remain interesting throughout all the episodes. I'll probably be burned alive for saying this, but FPS games do have more depth these days.

  5. #10525
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Took a nostalgia risk and started up Sacrifice again, properly this time.
    It. Holds. Up.
    Excellently.
    It really is a marvel, and the narrative is under your control.

    Ever tried multiplayer? Mostly well balanced and far more challenging than anything SP can throw at you. The stealth/recon/utility creatures matter so much more when your opponent sees your tactic and counters it.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  6. #10526
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    I'm happy I've got it running well too. That nVidia fix stopped the crashing problem while the Control Centre let's me run it in 1600x1200 not stretched - black bars down the side of the screen which I'm entirely fine with.
    Previous attempts to get Sacrifice running on a modern system have failed utterly due to video card issues, so I'm very interested in this. Can you provide a link?

  7. #10527
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    It really is a marvel, and the narrative is under your control.

    Ever tried multiplayer? Mostly well balanced and far more challenging than anything SP can throw at you. The stealth/recon/utility creatures matter so much more when your opponent sees your tactic and counters it.
    I would not be able to handle that. As it is it's one of these games where there's always 5 things to be done at once, and there's some UI elements it could really do with as it's often hard to know when your troops are in need of healing.
    It is incredible how they made what, 35 missions which can be played through in any number of ways. Sure some options cut other missions off but that allows for replay value. And it's great that after you hear all the briefings, pick a mission and complete it, that at the next inter-god shouting match they might reference all the missions.

    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Previous attempts to get Sacrifice running on a modern system have failed utterly due to video card issues, so I'm very interested in this. Can you provide a link?
    Two things I did:
    1. I had a problem with cosntant crashing in the tutorials: the game would freeze but sound would continue so I had to force quit out. This is a known nVidia problem and seems to be fixed using this fix involving nVidia Inspector - http://www.gog.com/forum/sacrifice/w...fix_here/post1

    2. Widescreen fix that float around the internet directly conflicts with the above fix (at least it did for me) so I ignored it and instead in the nVidia Control Panel go to "Adjust Desktop Size and Position" and under "Scaling" select "No scaling", drop-down box set to "Perform scaling on: GPU", and tick the box for "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs". Loaded the game up and while the menu was still stretched to fill the screen at some awful resolution the game itself is 1600x1200 like I set it to, with some black bars down either side.
    And funnily enough loading it up today fixed then menu screen so that it appeared in a small, 640x480 surrounded by black bars section in the centre of my screen. So it isn't widescreen but it isn't stretched, which is all I need out of it.

  8. #10528
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Two things I did:
    1. I had a problem with cosntant crashing in the tutorials: the game would freeze but sound would continue so I had to force quit out. This is a known nVidia problem and seems to be fixed using this fix involving nVidia Inspector - http://www.gog.com/forum/sacrifice/w...fix_here/post1

    2. Widescreen fix that float around the internet directly conflicts with the above fix (at least it did for me) so I ignored it and instead in the nVidia Control Panel go to "Adjust Desktop Size and Position" and under "Scaling" select "No scaling", drop-down box set to "Perform scaling on: GPU", and tick the box for "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs". Loaded the game up and while the menu was still stretched to fill the screen at some awful resolution the game itself is 1600x1200 like I set it to, with some black bars down either side.
    And funnily enough loading it up today fixed then menu screen so that it appeared in a small, 640x480 surrounded by black bars section in the centre of my screen. So it isn't widescreen but it isn't stretched, which is all I need out of it.
    Awesome, thanks for the advice. I recall having tried the widescreen fix in the past and having had some issues with it, so it's just as well that it doesn't work (and isn't necessary) with this setup. I'll give this a try!

  9. #10529
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the advice. I recall having tried the widescreen fix in the past and having had some issues with it, so it's just as well that it doesn't work (and isn't necessary) with this setup. I'll give this a try!
    Another thing to mention is that the gog version installer is now referred to as "2.0" so maybe something new has been done to that in the interim. If you use the gog version that is.

  10. #10530
    Network Hub Skull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    154
    After buying the THQ Humble Bundle for me and a friend, we have been trying to succeed on CoH multiplayer.

    I bought the game on release and completed it all those years ago and had a few games on the Online thing they had going for a while. However, I don't know if it's because I know nothing or everyone is just pro but we get absolutely slayed playing online now.

    I will generally play as Americans with the para unlock tree and my mate will play as the Brits with the Commando unlocks. We start off taking over the control points in 2v2 and it will end up with us owning half the map and the Axis owning the other half. We try to build up defenses and lock down the front line but then we get hit by a Blitzkreig attack and all out defenses get obliterated and then we generally lose.

    I am certainly not the best at strategy games but I can sometimes win the odd game of Starcraft 2 or Total War online, or at least put up a decent fight. I just can't figure out CoH for some reason! However, I am looking forward to getting back on it and playing until I get that victory. Certainly the best RTS that has ever been made.

  11. #10531
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,603
    Jurassic Park Operation Genesis is some good old fun, there's some real frustrating when it's tornado time destroying most of your structures and killing most of your dinosaurs, kicking you back to square one plus dept. I have no idea why sim games insist on doing this.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

  12. #10532
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    After buying the THQ Humble Bundle for me and a friend, we have been trying to succeed on CoH multiplayer.

    I bought the game on release and completed it all those years ago and had a few games on the Online thing they had going for a while. However, I don't know if it's because I know nothing or everyone is just pro but we get absolutely slayed playing online now.

    I will generally play as Americans with the para unlock tree and my mate will play as the Brits with the Commando unlocks. We start off taking over the control points in 2v2 and it will end up with us owning half the map and the Axis owning the other half. We try to build up defenses and lock down the front line but then we get hit by a Blitzkreig attack and all out defenses get obliterated and then we generally lose.

    I am certainly not the best at strategy games but I can sometimes win the odd game of Starcraft 2 or Total War online, or at least put up a decent fight. I just can't figure out CoH for some reason! However, I am looking forward to getting back on it and playing until I get that victory. Certainly the best RTS that has ever been made.
    Personally I’ve found that because COH is a very well balanced game it’s hard to beat people who are better than you, because there’s no real way round it, no exploits or guaranteed build orders or what have you, no out twitching the other guy. I really like it for that reason, it feels more about execution of strategy and thinking things through, but it does mean that unless you’re up against someone of an equal ability you’ll probably get flattened unless the other person plays badly. If you really want to improve there’s a voluminous amount of replays available and watching back your own recorded games will help a great deal, that’s obviously a big investment of time though.

  13. #10533
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    After buying the THQ Humble Bundle for me and a friend, we have been trying to succeed on CoH multiplayer.
    You need to push for the economy you want, and what you want to deny the enemy, sometimes starving your enemy of all fuel is more important than getting much yourself.

    I suggest blitzkrieg as a good starting build as it has call ins that support an aggressive playstyle where you are denying your enemy resources as it only takes man power to call in the various units.

    For allied airborne is probably the best starter, but only because of those free weapons drops. Start with riflmen dont call in paras, paras are expensive to replace, don't let on what tactic you've chosen as long as possible, then all at once call it the at gun, the paras and the weapon drop, if you reinforce you can equip both weapons without wiping out your squad. Even the weapons can reinforce everywhere (unless a later patch changed that). Your early game riflemen should have a few pips of veterency and should be able to outfight your airborne. By the time you have your air equipment deployed you may well be able to field tanks, I suggest the m10 tank destroyer, its cheap enough and its job is to destroy heavy targets, don't be afraid to wheel them back if it gets hot.

    Use the infantry (who should be kept safe) to screen the tanks.

    I need to play more, you on steam?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  14. #10534
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Paratroopers murder tanks, tho. Between recoilless rifles and satchel charges, they utterly destroy anything with armor. That said, they suck against other infantry, which is what your riflemen are for.

    Best of both worlds is just have your rifles pick up any recoilless rifles your paras drop.

    Don't turtle. Static targets are dead targets.

    Each side has its own general strategy:

    Allied: Dominate everything as quickly as possible because Tier 4 is not your friend.
    Axis: Survive until Tier 4.
    Bri'ish: Overwatch everything that looks at you funny.
    Panzer: Zergzergzergzergzerg
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  15. #10535
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,647
    Just completed Super Hexagon. I'd like to thank my parents for making this all happen, my friends for the support they've given me over the years and everyone else who said I couldn't do it. Well, I did guys. I did! Now it's in your face! Ha! Thank you, thank you all!

    Ahem.

    I found my copy of Halo 1. With some graphical tweaks, it doesn't look god awful, but it's certainly dated. Playing it on Legendary, as I've never actually completed it entirely on the hardest difficulty. It remains fun. I know there's a lot of...disagreement over the game, but at the end of the day, I find it enjoyable. Could it have been more? Should it have been more? Perhaps. Of what there is though, it's good. Incidentally, I went to look at the server browser and there's still some 400+ servers going for it. That's pretty crazy!
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

  16. #10536
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    180
    FINALLY got around to finishing up Trine. It's been sitting half-completed in my backlog for, oh... 6 months? Not sure why it lost me at the time, but the gameplay had gotten stale for some reason. I think (IIRC) that I had gotten frustrated with some level where enemies kept spawning on either side of me and wiping my knight out, leaving the puny-ass archer and useless-in-combat wizard to continue once he was dead. Of course, that was before I realized how to effectively use the thief in combat. So last night I noticed it was still installed and knocked through the entire last third of the game in one sitting. It was like being introduced to an old friend. Now I might fire up Trine 2 and see if I can get through it while I'm in that particular gameplay groove, so to speak.

    Oh, and I decided to log on for "just a couple of rounds" of Chivalry. That was around midnight. BAD IDEA... At 4:30am, I finally logged off, hating myself for the work day ahead. Moments like this... I actually kinda feel bad for my employer...

  17. #10537
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    3,221
    Quote Originally Posted by kstress71 View Post
    useless-in-combat wizard
    Dropping planks and boxes on top of enemies is the best thing in that game.

  18. #10538
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by kstress71 View Post
    FINALLY got around to finishing up Trine. It's been sitting half-completed in my backlog for, oh... 6 months? Not sure why it lost me at the time, but the gameplay had gotten stale for some reason. I think (IIRC) that I had gotten frustrated with some level where enemies kept spawning on either side of me and wiping my knight out, leaving the puny-ass archer and useless-in-combat wizard to continue once he was dead. Of course, that was before I realized how to effectively use the thief in combat. So last night I noticed it was still installed and knocked through the entire last third of the game in one sitting. It was like being introduced to an old friend. Now I might fire up Trine 2 and see if I can get through it while I'm in that particular gameplay groove, so to speak.

    Oh, and I decided to log on for "just a couple of rounds" of Chivalry. That was around midnight. BAD IDEA... At 4:30am, I finally logged off, hating myself for the work day ahead. Moments like this... I actually kinda feel bad for my employer...
    Trine is lovely. Good platforming and puzzles, beautiful game, feels great, lots of ways to approach a problem without ever being more difficult than is reasonable. A properly great game, in the same vein as something like Costume Quest.

    I only played the sequel briefly and it struck me as more point and clicky/puzzle orientated which was a bit of a bummer, I'm hoping it was maybe just a poor level. It's slower and heavier feeling too, not as liberated in how the characters move.

  19. #10539
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,488
    Quote Originally Posted by kstress71 View Post
    useless-in-combat wizard
    WRONG! Plank on enemies head, jump on plank.
    WELCOME TO BROKENECKVILLE
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  20. #10540
    Lesser Hivemind Node Gorzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    782
    Man, I had forgotten how dull Killer Croc's lair was on Arkham Asyllum.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •