Page 54 of 1154 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556641041545541054 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 23072
    You can always teach your priests Detect Traps and trigger them with summons. Doesn't work with containers but oh well. Knock helps with locks.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I'm curently playing the "shuffle feet annoyed" game because UBI server outages are holding a few games hostage.

Played dirt 2 instead, I cant play racing games for long (except trackmania and outrun) but dirt2 is a lovely distraction.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I was fully prepared to moan about boss fights having just done the first one in Deus Ex. I got maimed the first four or five attempts and then suddenly found a tactic that made it hilariously easy. Huzzah!
    What is the tactic, kind sir?

Ok, now begins the Boss Battle Bitching (BBB for short).
    First of all, fuck boss battles.
    Now that we've got that out of the way - fuck this boss battle for punishing players that haven't been playing a combat-focused character up to this point.
    Is it possibly to sneak around and get the drop on him? No, 'cause there's a stupid fucking cut scene before the fight.
    Is it possible to hack into a computer to find out his weaknesses? A turret to back you up? Him? No. No hacking, sorry, all those Praxis points were a waste.

Now, it's lucky I'm a hoarder and grabbed the rocket launcher because I thought I could sell it for some scratch at the end of the mission... Only problem is that the rockets fly right through the bastard half the time. Sure, some of those are probably actually misses, but twice I watched a rocket clip right through him. I know, golden rule of rocket launchers - aim for the feet (which can prove rather difficult when you're cowering behind a cement block).

And for another couple of bugs - the only time I managed to kill him is when he forgot about our fight and decided to settle the score with his arch-nemesis... BOX IN THE CORNER! He stood next to it dumping 3 frag grenades next to it. I don't even know if I managed to kill him while he was distracted, or if his own frag grenades are what did him in.
    Cheap kill or no I was happy to take it as this was about my 15th try... But then I got that annoying fucking cutscene black out that hadn't reared its ugly head since the latest patch.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

(Not only that, but the cutscenes are fucking ugly. Any way to increase the resolution there?)

So yeah, still haven't passed it.
    Sorry for the rant.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    ive decided. vampire redemption.

currently got a quest to kill a golem. Managed to kill Mercurio without bigger problem. just only 20 load games or so and 55 "f--ks" screamed at the computer

Quote Originally Posted by TailSwallower View Post
    What is the tactic, kind sir?
    DEUS EX FIRST BOSS TACTIC SPOILERS ALERT
    As well as the red barrels littered around the room there are slim green canisters that it turns out are filled with gas. Lob one at his face and he can't breathe and stands choking and even when he manages to overcome this seemingly can't see for the gas. So I lobbed it at his face, threw all my frags at his feet, emptied a clip or so of assault rifle bullets into his face and then threw one of the red barrels at him while he was throwing grenades at where I had been.

So if you're not a gunner type, as I'm also not, use of the gas canisters makes the thing a hell of a lot easier. In hindsight I could have killed him without using any ammo or grenades at all. :( Would probably be easy to just move around the room, ploughing into him with the gas canisters and explosive barrels.
    END SPOILERS

But yeah, it's a pity because I'd have thought there's room to make more genuinely interesting boss battles if they allowed for techies and stealthers. Have the area a bit more complex and stick in some defences for you to hack and then try to lure the boss in to take massive damage by surprise as they don't anticipate the area's robots/turrets turning on them.

I assume the thing that makes my tactic above valid is a bit of a concession for wimpier players, but it's not really the answer.
    Last edited by Ian; 01-09-2011 at 12:22 PM.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

I'd noticed the red exploding barrels (I think someone has even mentioned those in the mechanical spoilers thread), but I hadn't noticed the green canisters.

I beat it just a little while ago, and yeah, the fact that he loses track of you easily and focuses all his attention on where you had been is the only real way to get a drop on him.

It's 2011, can't we just hurry up and get rid of all boss battles in non-arcade-y games?

The main issue remains that boss battles tend to not have anything to do with what you've been doing previously and seem to exist solely to suddenly make you feel like an underpowered dickhead. I'm semi-convinced that the issue is that hardly any devs who use them care enough to try and make them interesting.

I'd like the idea of a stealth boss. Not in the sense of that abysmal one in Alpha Protocol who's either invisible or kicking your face in, but a proper stealth boss who is also looking to get the drop on you for one quick hit. Or, as I said above, variations that at least let you tackle a typical punishment-sponge boss in a decent way.
    Last edited by Ian; 02-09-2011 at 09:21 AM.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    The base game of Borderlands was a tour de force in OH GOD GIVE ME MORE LOOT, but the DLC have been lacking, mostly mechanically. The first one has a stupid grinding quest that is implemented poorly, not to mention it didn't properly scale to my level so on the most common enemy, I was getting 1, maybe 2exp. It was enjoyable though, so I let it pass. The second DLC is a 'Horde' mode, but doing it by yourself is a lesson in frustration. Hard is fine, but you get these multipliers that can affect, say, your health, or enemy damage and so on. I ended up in some hideously contrived situations.

The third DLC, definitely the best out of the 3 I've tried so far and standing best up against the main game in comparison still has issues. Like the previous two, there's no instant transport stations like there are dotted across the game world for making travel a bit easier. This results in some really long trawls to and fro certain locations, made worse in this one by some vehicle sections that in the end get a bit dull. This too didn't properly scale to my level, although it wasn't as bad. Huzzah for 50exp! Upon finishing it, I was then presented with a load more quests that really should've be done along the way. And I was pretty thorough about picking them all up.

The game content of the three packs is absolutely fine, but the mechanics around them have taken a very bizarre turn to stupidity. Ohwell.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    The level scaling in Borderlands was always a bit dicey and this was more pronounced in the DLC. Especially those 'Floater' bastards in General Knoxx.
    The grinding quest in Dr Ned (I'm guessing the get brains quest) really is just there for a bit of fun and there's no real reason to do it beyond (possibly) an achievment. I found the sense of humour in the first DLC to be excellent as well.
    I have Mad Moxxi but haven't played it yet because of the reason you gave. From what I understand it is geared more towards MP where everything is fairer. Althoug that being said a high enough level character will have no problem.
    General Knoxx was great except the emphasis on driving which I just didn't enjoy. Shame really, as the General himself is my favourite character in the games.

All in all it's an excellent pack to get and great value. Also demonstrates the way more DLC should be done: experimenting with game mechanics yet still providing satisfying content. And remember you still have one DLC left: time for the Robolution!

OT: Just started playing King's Bounty Armoured Princess and an Insanity (or whatever the hardest difficulty is) of FarCry 2, which I am falling in love with all over again just by how the game has changed with the added difficulty.
    To anyone who has played Armoured Princess I have a question: does accepting every quest you find have any drawbacks? For example, will it spawn something that I cannot beat for a while thereby potentially screwing me over in the game?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    The problem I had with Braaaaaaaaains wasn't so much it was grindy and stuck out from all the other quests which were done fairly well (They cover up their "Go there. Then there." quests really well) but that you start collecting brains from the start of the island, only to have all you had collected disappear upon hitting the first quest. For 10. By that point, I'd have had closer to 1000. That's just not on.
    With Mad Moxxi, using Mordecai, it's just not great for his play-style. It's obviously there as an option for SP, and you can use every weapon, but my aim is a head-shotting machine. As soon as you take that away from me, it becomes challenging, but possible. As soon as you start requiring me to use elemental rocket launchers on Badasses, well...not so hot.
    And then Knoxx, I like the driving segments, makes the game world feel bigger (although it already is [incidentally, this is why I was upset the Mako was removed in Mass Effect 2. Sure, its implementation in 1 wasn't great, but it made it feel like the scale of the game was the entire galaxy]) but the controls are dire. WASD for movement, mouse for camera. Come on, that's the default for a very good reason.

But I agree with everything else. The humour is pitch-perfect and General Knoxx was an absolutely fantastic character. One of the most memorable I've played in any game, actually. [Spoilers for main game and Knoxx DLC]I actually felt bad having to kill him. He'd clearly had enough. He was obviously a capable commander too, seeing as he actually had the place on lock-down, unlike Steele who just kinda went I AM COMMANDER STEELE AND OH LOOK I'VE JUST BEEN IMPALED. Sure, he was about to kill himself, but he had good reason.[/Spoilers] The content I got out of Knoxx was mostly good, although this REALLY suffered from the lack of teleporters.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Not in the sense of that abysmal one in Alpha Protocol who's either invisible or kicking you face in...
    As much as I loved Alpha Protocol despite all its flaws, the boss battles were so stupid. It's like they thought they had to include them because they were using the Mass Effect engine and ME had them. At least in ME you could explain the over-powered bosses with Space Magic(TM), but Alpha Protocol was meant to be a real-world game, and yet for no discernible reason I can shoot this guy in the face a hundred times and he won't die.

HR kind of sits between the two - you could say that the boss is tough because he's an augmented badass, but I'm supposed to be an augmented badass too and it takes a lot less to kill me than 3 rockets and 2 machine pistol clips.

In regular KB saying no was sometimes a valid choice, especially in more nuanced missions, sometimes you need to actively avoid hostiles to get certain outcomes. I can't stand how arbitrary the conversations resolutions are sometimes though, I like that KB is subversive but punishing me in units/xp for saying something interesting is a hateful move.

Imagine how satisfying it is to join a server in one of them leveling shooters, you press tab and the world can see you are level 10, and everyone else is 45 to 50. Now imagine the satisfaction of winning the match in first place without all of their toys. Okay, now switch up that to being assassins creed brotherhood multiplayer.

I remember thinking the smartest thing about APB was the escalation of opponents, brotherhood has it too, at the bottom of the scoreboard no-one is after you unless the field is pretty level, but if you are a clean 1000 points ahead and no recent deaths? Having 3 people hunting you, 3 people you are nearly defenseless against. If one tracks you from on high and another two from different directions you need to make brutally cunning use of your abilities to not end up a pin cusion. Even then you are supposed to be hunting someone.

I still feel that I've yet to express the games details. There are 12 or so player models, each player picks one unique to them, then you'll enter a level, each a town from the story or a uniquely multiplayer one. The areas are maybe 400m by 400m but they are a warren of tunnels, rooftops and roadways. This town is populated by NPCs who look like you and your fellow players. They sit on benches, get up wander around, change direction for not much reason, they are cover, threats and your prey. You don't actually kill NPCs but hiding among them is the bread and butter of this game. Sure you can flip out like a ninja and run across roofing and swing about but your prey will see you coming and you'll get a naff kill score, not to mention your increased visibility to your hunters.

Sitting on top of this sneaking a beautifully animated collection of 1 hit kills (no hitpoints here, if you get assassinated that's it.) you can stun your hunter but that's only if they don't kill you first.

The additives to this, the time limited disguises(walk/sit near your lookie like disguse and laugh as your hunter follows his "general direction radar" and kills the wrong one netting you a 100 point lure bonus and a little breathing room. The smoke bomb isn't as subtle but when both your hunter and prey are inches away nothing beats it, 10 abilities in total. These all get upgrades/variants you need to unlock by using the basic one in a variety of ways.

I wish it had a demo its such a excellent game, I mean single player is great but that people will own brotherhood and never tried multiplayer is disappointing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    I can tell KB:AP is going to annoy me on this front. Wish more games did what Borderlands did and assign a level to each quest so you know if you should be doing it or not. Oh well, I've accepted all the quests I've found in the starting place - kill bandit leader, find spy etc - so I'll know soon enough if this was a mistake.

I picked Mordecai as well and had massive problems in the very last arena fights during the standard game; the ones where badass things were spawned in great numbers. Never failed the fights but I had to 'Second Wind' several times during each one. In the end the only tactic that really worked was to hide behind some good cover and wait for things to walk round the edge, then rapidly headshot them when I couldn't miss or be shot by anything else. If I was to do it again I'd probably spend money to respec my character towards pistols as I reckon they'd be far superior in the arena.

I also felt that Knoxx really suffered from the teleporter lack. Driving made the world feel bigger but that wasn't something I needed. Especially as the cars felt fragile and could be taken out easily if you didn't pay attention, which I didn't when I just wanted to get where the mission was as fast as possible. And getting a Second Wind after being killed in a car is near to impossible if whatever killed you has just driven off. Teleporters would have fixed all those problems.
    The Mako isn't something I like to think about as I hated it. Mainly because the thing is made in the UT3 engine and yet (like Gears of War) manages to have a terrible vehicle. Also, I once played ME after playing Tribes Vengeance and realised that the coolest thing would be to let you explore planets via jetpacks + skiing. They often already have the required hill-y nature.

I've just finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution. (no spoilers, so don't panic).

I ... have mixed feelings about it. I liked it, but at the same time I can't help but feel slightly disappointed for some reason.

I find it difficult to articulate why I'm disappointed with it, certainly not because it's a bad game - it's actually excellent. I think it's because Eidos Montreal came within a stone's throw of recreating the experience of the original game, but just fell at the final hurdle.

Mechanically, it's superb. The stealth, combat and hacking are all superior to the original game, but it's the other stuff which bothers me about it:

The lack of interactivity is the first thing which hit me. Everything except cardboard boxes, rubbish bins and a few vending machines, are nailed down and can't be interacted with.

The levels, while they mostly allow a variety of approaches (as is the calling card of a true Deus Ex game), they're not as large as I'd like, and can feel linear at times. Combined with the lack of interactivity, they occasionally feel plastic; like a level designer is looking over your shoulder.

The city hubs are vast in size, but aside from the heavily signposted sidequests, I found precious little else of note in my explorations. It lessened the impact of the city hubs for me, and made me feel like I wasted my time exploring the place.

The boss fights, as it seems everyone has noticed, feel out of place. I found them especially annoying as I focused on a non-lethal, stealthy hacker type of character.

The story isn't as fleshed out as I'd have liked. I hacked damn near every computer in the game, and read every book and magazine I could find and I still felt the last bit of story was poorly explained or rushed.

Maybe a second or even third playthrough is necessesary to fully understand the nuances and references to stuff during the game.

The music is also not as catchy as the original's tunes.

But I know that it's the crippling nostalgia I have for the original Deus Ex which is clouding my judgement. I have an insane craving to play the original game through again, just to check if I'm not misremembering things.

Given the clear influence that consoles were going to have on this game, this was probably the closest we were ever going to come to a second 'Deus Ex experience', and Eidos Montreal should be commended for that.

I suppose the real measure of whether I liked it or not is whether I would play it again, and the answer would have to be a resounding yes, preferably as a murdering psychopath next time.

I'm still playing Frozen Synapse multiplayer. I'm currently participating in the RPS Dark Extermination league over in the social forum.

With Human Revolution finished, I need another single-player game to replace it, and Assassin's Creed 2 should fit the bill. I loved the first game and I hear that the second is even better.

Asscreed 2 is a fully fledged game where Asscreed 1 was just a bunch of inherited ideas.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    "Finished" Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, or more precisely finished the main plot. I've not done a lot of the side stuff, and have only a 53% synch, so I'm trying to figure out what is and isn't worth my time. I've done the armor of Brutus stuff, but haven't done the war machines, the DLC (Da Vinci disappearance), the "historical romance" quests, or most of the random little "go here kill that" faction missions. Anyone else who's finished the game, any advice on what's worthwhile?

Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    I find it difficult to articulate why I'm disappointed with it, certainly not because it's a bad game - it's actually excellent. I think it's because Eidos Montreal came within a stone's throw of recreating the experience of the original game, but just fell at the final hurdle.
    I'm finding it hard to articulate my disappointment as well. You covered a lot of the problems I had with it. I think, above all, it stretches itself thin in trying (sincerely) to be a Deus Ex game.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    "Finished" Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, or more precisely finished the main plot. I've not done a lot of the side stuff, and have only a 53% synch, so I'm trying to figure out what is and isn't worth my time. I've done the armor of Brutus stuff, but haven't done the war machines, the DLC (Da Vinci disappearance), the "historical romance" quests, or most of the random little "go here kill that" faction missions. Anyone else who's finished the game, any advice on what's worthwhile?
    Ooh, ooh Me sir!

They are actually worthwhile, all of them. The faction and assassinations(technically assassinations are mercenary faction missions I guess) are all worthwhile, but the dlc stuff and the war machines stuff despite being well made is super linear but awesomely prince of Persia(sands of time) at times.

Obviously ignore the collectables (flags;chest, feathers) and buying everything(I know you did the brutus which required aquaduct buying) unless you have OCD.

But everything else is worthwhile

oh, on the topic of "the truth" its worth doing but follow a guide, searching the coloseum for a glowy thing was unfun and some of the spinny cracking missions break the accepted logic towards the last few.

Did you try the "vr missions", I found them to be lovely if underdeveloped.