Page 553 of 1167 FirstFirst ... 534535035435515525535545555636036531053 ... LastLast
Results 11,041 to 11,060 of 23339
  1. #11041
    Obscure Node Starry Vere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    18
    45 :))... I don't know what you mean by 'strained'... I think the writing is creative, skillful, and very evocative... compared to most video game writing I think it's flipping Eugene O'Neill, lol...

  2. #11042
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    @Starry Vere Honest question, how old are you? I used to feel the same way in my late teens and now the writing seems more strained. I have often heard people claimed age was a powerful determining factor when it comes was to Planescape Torment.
    The older I get the more depressing I find it.

  3. #11043
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    The older I get the more depressing I find it.
    Same here, but in a good way. In fact I love how my interpretation of the game has changed as I've aged. Upon first playing it when 14 I knew it was something special and fell in love with the game, but I'll admit to not 'getting' everything. Then when playing it again every few years, making various different choices or taking different character builds, I kept discovering new things in the game and interpreting everything in different ways. Last time I played it I was 25 and was still in love with the game.
    It ages like a good whisky still in the cask.

  4. #11044
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,156
    That spiky lava level in Cave Story is a bitch. After five attempts at its nerve-wracking obstacle course, I get whacked by the boss that appears immediately afterward. Normal difficulty wasn't giving me very much trouble compared to Easy, but the difficulty curve goes vertical after Plantation.

    Good game, though. It's much more meaty than the other Humble Bundle games on offer right now.

  5. #11045
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,225
    I've been playing and have finished the following -

    Sleeping Dogs - great game overall, some minor gripes about it but nothing that would make me tell people not to pick it up.
    Spec Ops The Line - gameplay wise it's very dated and doesn't bring a whole lot of new tricks to the table. Story however is pretty good and the set pieces are some of the best you'll see. Also, it's moral choice system needs to be immediately stolen by every developer ever when it comes to moral choice systems.
    Jamestown - Decided to try this again, I remembered liking it enough when I first got it about a year ago but never got to finish it because I just couldn't beat anything on Legendary difficulty which is required to get to the final level and boss. Managed it tonight and it's definitely a fun game with an amazing sound track.

    I might delve into some more indie titles for now to hold me over until I buy everything from my holiday sales haul.

  6. #11046
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,603
    I've been digging in to Mass Effect 3 Co-op again and it's still a blast, they have been adding some new stuff too like a bunch of new characters, Map Hazards, Challenges etc,
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

  7. #11047
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    1,956
    XCOM again. After my last squad botched the last mission, trying to destroy a group of alien survivors in Japan, there's an abduction mission in France. Operation: Hot Vengeance, they called it. A group of rookies managed to stun a Muton when Valen asked for a Sectoid *creepy evil laugh*
    Last edited by Voon; 29-12-2012 at 04:18 AM.
    Art blog here.

    Doodles poodles sheboodles

  8. #11048
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    79
    Chivalry and Dark Souls

    I cant believe how good DS is... I iwhs more rpgs had such equal combat... or mods.. someone recommend me something! :)

  9. #11049
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,267
    Quote Originally Posted by augustuskent View Post
    Chivalry and Dark Souls

    I cant believe how good DS is... I iwhs more rpgs had such equal combat... or mods.. someone recommend me something! :)
    Severance. I'd be shocked if someone at From never played that game.

  10. #11050
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Severance. I'd be shocked if someone at From never played that game.

    Severance is slightly better game for me,there's no farming haha plus awesome gore,you can cut someone's torso in half,head,legs,arms..

  11. #11051
    Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Zürich
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    That spiky lava level in Cave Story is a bitch. After five attempts at its nerve-wracking obstacle course, I get whacked by the boss that appears immediately afterward. Normal difficulty wasn't giving me very much trouble compared to Easy, but the difficulty curve goes vertical after Plantation.
    I assume you've found the booster 2.0 then? If so, that is indeed the point where the game throws any semblance of balance straight out of the window. And yet the lava cave is still merciful compared to the true final dungeon.

    It's a bit of a shame. I'm sure lots of people enjoy the increased difficulty, but personally I always found the jumping mechanics in Cave Story a bit awkward and preferred it when you were basically a god, raining down death and destruction on your enemies.

  12. #11052
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    1,956
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Severance is slightly better game for me,there's no farming haha plus awesome gore,you can cut someone's torso in half,head,legs,arms..
    And throw them around to kill Goblins with them! Yes, it's more fun than it has any right to be
    Art blog here.

    Doodles poodles sheboodles

  13. #11053
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,156
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    I assume you've found the booster 2.0 then? If so, that is indeed the point where the game throws any semblance of balance straight out of the window. And yet the lava cave is still merciful compared to the true final dungeon.

    It's a bit of a shame. I'm sure lots of people enjoy the increased difficulty, but personally I always found the jumping mechanics in Cave Story a bit awkward and preferred it when you were basically a god, raining down death and destruction on your enemies.
    Yes, platforming is a bit too floaty for my taste, but I think I got the hang of it. The game has no right to spring that cave on you so suddenly. I'd say a bonus-ending requirement cave is allowed to be challenging, but putting a nigh-impossible second-to-last cave in there is not cool.

    Say, do you have any idea how keeping the mimiga mask and not the booster affects the ending?

  14. #11054
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,680
    bought ufo enemy unknown for 2 AUD. First mission didn't go that well. Have to watch LP to understand how to play it. Or read a manual.

  15. #11055
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    1,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    bought ufo enemy unknown for 2 AUD. First mission didn't go that well. Have to watch LP to understand how to play it. Or read a manual.
    That's... pretty much how it goes almost everytime when people start playing it the first time. Don't worry, you'll get used to it.

    Speaking of which, the last abduction mission I played, I chose to bring along a rookie and when the Heavy got killed by a lucky shot. The rookie panicked and start shooting my sniper. She died.... FUCK! JUST, FUUUCK
    Art blog here.

    Doodles poodles sheboodles

  16. #11056
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,875
    Since G&K is going to be on sale dirt cheap tomorrow, I decided to try out Civ V. Up to a point it was just a matter of spamming the next turn button... not particularly interesting, but not bad either.

    I should say the AIs were really busting my balls... publicly denouncing me every 15 turns (WTH?! I haven't attacked or screwed anyone...) and the damn Alexander, the most annoying of them all, even tried to take my capital. After I had my first taste of combat, and seized a neighboring city-state (hey, I needed the horses!), the little fuck doubled his efforts to annoy me: with a routine vaguely reminding me of De Niro's Capone, he asked me if I had the guts to move the army I had assembled around the city state to keep it safe. Twice! Sure, buddy, here I come, I know you want it! Taken the first couple cities real easy, so OK then, let's see what the capital's made of. Piece of cake!

    Of course at that point (and after annexing a few more greek cities) I couldn't stop playing and had to force myself to bring up the menu and quit, otherwise I'd probably stayed in front of the damn computer until I ran out of turns.

    And that reminded why it was so long since I last played Civ IV, why my best friend doesn't even want me to talk to him about Civ, let alone be in the same room with a Civ game. And that's a totally wise policy, if you ask me.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  17. #11057
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,225
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Since G&K is going to be on sale dirt cheap tomorrow, I decided to try out Civ V. Up to a point it was just a matter of spamming the next turn button... not particularly interesting, but not bad either.

    I should say the AIs were really busting my balls... publicly denouncing me every 15 turns (WTH?! I haven't attacked or screwed anyone...) and the damn Alexander, the most annoying of them all, even tried to take my capital. After I had my first taste of combat, and seized a neighboring city-state (hey, I needed the horses!), the little fuck doubled his efforts to annoy me: with a routine vaguely reminding me of De Niro's Capone, he asked me if I had the guts to move the army I had assembled around the city state to keep it safe. Twice! Sure, buddy, here I come, I know you want it! Taken the first couple cities real easy, so OK then, let's see what the capital's made of. Piece of cake!

    Of course at that point I couldn't stop playing and had to force myself to bring up the menu and quit, otherwise I'd probably stayed in front of the damn computer until I ran out of turns.

    And that reminded why it was so long since I last played Civ IV, why my best friend doesn't even want me to talk to him about Civ, let alone be in the same room with a Civ game. And that's a totally wise policy, if you ask me.
    I never understood the AI in Civ V. At one point I had William of Orange down to one city and my army just standing outside it ready to take it. I demanded that for peace to happen he would have to supply me with resources he had in that city for X turns, to which he refused.

    It's a shame the AI is so dumb. Also, I'm not sure if you can run out of turns. I think if you finish the objective, or if someone else does, then you get the option for "just one more turn..."

  18. #11058
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I never understood the AI in Civ V. At one point I had William of Orange down to one city and my army just standing outside it ready to take it. I demanded that for peace to happen he would have to supply me with resources he had in that city for X turns, to which he refused.
    Truth to be told, after I got his second biggest city (Sparta), he crawled to my feet with a peace offer... which I never even bothered to give a look at: it was becoming clear that I could just get rid of the annoyance for good, and he did all he could to annoy me. So with blood-shot eyes and a maniacal laughter ("that's tiring") I pressed the "Fuck you" button (seriously, I still don't understand why most UIs insist on call the FU button 'cancel', 'refuse' or something equally non-commital) and proceeded to pummel his arrogant little country down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    It's a shame the AI is so dumb. Also, I'm not sure if you can run out of turns. I think if you finish the objective, or if someone else does, then you get the option for "just one more turn..."
    At this rate I'm either gonna find pretty soon, I played so long that the flash deal was over by the time I quit. It's either that or I'll uninstall the damn thing and chuck it in the retired category, trying to (e)raze it from my mind.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  19. #11059
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    They threaten you and denounce you if you expand on land they wanted for themselves. They denounce you if you share a border, because that also means they can't expand.

    But there's an easy way to stop them from denouncing you: They have the same fog of war you do. So, never give them a treaty that allows them to walk on your land, and amass what troops you have to the border closest to theirs. All they see of you, then, is a large army, and large armies have a way of making the AI shut up.

    Once I figured that out, everybody was so very nice to me because they thought I was a juggernaut.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  20. #11060
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    They threaten you and denounce you if you expand on land they wanted for themselves. They denounce you if you share a border, because that also means they can't expand.
    Then I suppose they must want all of the land, they started denouncing me early in the game, when no borders were shared... and at no point I ever had an Open Borders agreement.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Once I figured that out, everybody was so very nice to me because they thought I was a juggernaut.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick", indeed.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •