Page 563 of 1138 FirstFirst ... 634635135535615625635645655736136631063 ... LastLast
Results 11,241 to 11,260 of 22746
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Well, keep in mind that points in strength are potentially a waste if you aren't using a good strength-scaling weapon (or need it to wield).

My current character (Nito, Four Kings, and Seathe dead. On my way to the DLC before I rock out in Izalith) only has 16 strength and around 28 dex (gonna level up a few times soon). I can use a wide variety of swords (Balder is my straight, Quelaag's is my curved, Flamberge is my great) as well as spears (Silver Knight's is my divine, Lightning Winged is my lightning :p). Suits me pretty well since even the Flamberge is kind of slow for my tastes (but fun). 16 seems to be enough to use just about everything I want, so works for me
    Fair enough. But you're gonna be fine with the dragonsword for a while though.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I remember a Star Wars game where the blaster rifle started as and remained the player's primary weapon. I still think it one of the strongest titles for the IP. One manner in which all Star Wars games cheapen Star Wars is the ease at which you get the lightsaber, as if they're handed out free with every third shot of espresso.
    In Jedi Outcast you play the game as a straight up old school FPS for the first few missions before before finally getting your ass kicked by the main bad guy and go off to reacquire your saber, so that might be it. Anyway it's really rewarding to finally get your hands on it. The KoTOR games do this well too, but the Force Unleashed just lets you have everything right away.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I remember a Star Wars game where the blaster rifle started as and remained the player's primary weapon. I still think it one of the strongest titles for the IP. One manner in which all Star Wars games cheapen Star Wars is the ease at which you get the lightsaber, as if they're handed out free with every third shot of espresso.
    You're definitely right. That said, pressing X and getting out and twirling around your lightsabers in KOTOR will beat most other things.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    GTA ended with Saints Row 3.

Don't make me laugh! In terms of gameplay GTA4 is only matched by first Mafia game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Don't make me laugh! In terms of gameplay GTA4 is only matched by first Mafia game.
    Niko! Want to go to the strip club and see beeg American teetees?

Niko! Want to go to the bowling alley? And then maybe to the strip club?

Niko! Niko! Niko!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Always say yes then call Roman/whoever back and cancel. No loss of reputation that way AFAIK.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Niko! Want to go to the strip club and see beeg American teetees?

Niko! Want to go to the bowling alley? And then maybe to the strip club?

Niko! Niko! Niko!
    Using this to badmouth gta is getting lame,nobody said you need to answer to their calls men,neither to take them bowling. Just ignore their calls and do your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Always say yes then call Roman/whoever back and cancel. No loss of reputation that way AFAIK.
    Oh I know. That doesn't stop it from being annoying as fuck.

You can also turn off your phone (it's hidden in the menu somewhere), but that has the unfortunate side effect of turning off missions, too.

(Also, if you call back and cancel too many times, your friendship rating goes down anyway. IF I WANTED TO PLAY THE SIMS: PSYCHOPATH EDITION, I'D BUY EA'S 4534th DLC PACK FOR IT)
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Was either the original Dark Forces (before Kyle found out he was a Jedi in Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight) or Republic Commando. Both of which are some of my favorite games, and the latter spawned an "interesting" series of novels by Karen Traviss that, if you can get around her being batpoop insane, were pretty fun reads and an interesting perspective on the CLone Wars.
    Last edited by gundato; 02-01-2013 at 06:40 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    1994 XCOM Enemy Unkown or 2012 XCOM Enemy Unknown?
    1994 one.

Must use save scumming to do anything really. currently at 6th UFO (only managed to shot down 2 as others simply run away or landed) and just got third terror mission. enjoying the game but damn me if it is not frustrating and requires me to reload every few turns.
    Last edited by Lukasz; 02-01-2013 at 06:38 PM.

Dwooooooooo.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Was either the original Dark Forces (before Kyle found out he was a Jedi in Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight) or Republic Commando. Both of which are some of my favorite games, and the latter spawned an "interesting" series of novels by Karen Traviss that, if you can get around her being batpoop insane, were pretty fun reads and an interesting perspective on the CLone Wars.
    Likely that is the game I was thinking about.

I don't plan to read that or any other licensed book, because I believe those are the devil and prime examples of the worst aspects of airport novels/shovelware/sturgeon's law.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

To be fair, the major properties (Star Wars and Warhammer 40k/FB come to mind) tend to put a lot of effort into their expanded universes and actually get some really good upper-tier scifi/fantasy writers. It is best to think of it like reading a Marvel or DC comic: Yes, there is some crap and a lot of creative oversight, but you get some REALLY good stories when the right author gets a hold of the right character. And they generally have a team of VERY good editors who check for things like continuity and style, rather than just spelling mistakes.

I can't think of any particularly amazing Star Wars licensed books off the top of my head (although, I enjoyed Traviss's take on the Republic Commandos. But she is completely insane), but Dan Abnett's 40k books are pretty damned good (especially his Ravenor/Eisenhorn/Bequin series).

But yeah: If the game had 3D models:
    It was Republic Commando
    If the game had sprites and awesome atmosphere: Dark Forces
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Your argument basically gives the impression that one should follow the writer, not the IP, which is rather a point I'd agree with. Hell, I like the Joker as depicted by Jack Nicholson or Alan Moore or Heath Ledger because I like Jack Nicholson, Alan Moore and Heath Ledger, not necessarily because the Joker is a fantastic IP. (Arguably, he's stronger than any other Batman villain and Batman himself, but that's because Batman's weak as a character.)

That said, I don't expect very many breakaway hits with the kinds of folks who write licensed stuff for a living. They're called hacks for a reason.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    So I was away for the holidays, no computer, and I found out that the book I had brought had a printing error and was missing 30 pages.

And then I discovered King of Dragon Pass for the iphone thingy. And then I learned to play it. And then it consumed me.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Your argument basically gives the impression that one should follow the writer, not the IP, which is rather a point I'd agree with. Hell, I like the Joker as depicted by Jack Nicholson or Alan Moore or Heath Ledger because I like Jack Nicholson, Alan Moore and Heath Ledger,
    What? No love for Mark Hamill?

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    What? No love for Mark Hamill?
    In a Saturday Morning Cartoons sorta way, sure.

Consequently, what the fuck happened with Mark Hamill's face?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Your argument basically gives the impression that one should follow the writer, not the IP, which is rather a point I'd agree with. Hell, I like the Joker as depicted by Jack Nicholson or Alan Moore or Heath Ledger because I like Jack Nicholson, Alan Moore and Heath Ledger, not necessarily because the Joker is a fantastic IP. (Arguably, he's stronger than any other Batman villain and Batman himself, but that's because Batman's weak as a character.)

That said, I don't expect very many breakaway hits with the kinds of folks who write licensed stuff for a living. They're called hacks for a reason.
    MARK HAMILL!!! THE CORRECT ANSWER IS MARK HAMILL!!!!!! YOU DIE FOR NOT MENTIONING MARK HAMILL!!!!!

And it is a mixture of following the writer and certain aspects of the IP. In the case of Warhammer 40k, pretty much any actual novel in the Horus Heresy series is worth checking out as that is Black Library's flagship series, so they are going out of their way to make it "good". But even then, the better books in that series all tend to say something like "And thanks goes to Dan Abnett and X for working with me to flesh out the concept".

But yeah, it is generally best to not disregard something just for being licensed. Same with a licensed video game. Yeah, a lot of them suck. But sometimes you find a gem that just "got it right" or a studio/writer you like gave it a whirl.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    GTA IV doesn't know what it wants to be.

On the one hand it's this truly breathtaking, incredibly detailed city simulation, but you exist outside it's laws so much of that is really irrelevant and it actually punishes you for trying to immerse yourself into it by making it really hard not to play like a maniac in a sandbox, or by following a plot which seemingly has little to do with the world anyway.

What this means, in my experience, is that the every day stuff most missions consist of, such as driving, are a real pain in the ass. I can't believe Mafia II got the flak it did over the driving stuff, GTA asks you to drive as much in the first quarter of the game as the whole of Mafia does, with more traffic, more police, and tolls to pay on a bridge, unless you want to just drive like a sociopath and ruin any immersion. The missions themselves are also pretty samey and unappetizing.

On the other hand, it doesn't allow you to do that to the extent that is truly required to make it a great game either. It still restricts you in a way to keep it from being a full on power fantasy. Gun play is janky and weird, cars aren't responsive or mad enough to play with properly, the stuff to fuel power trips isn't easy enough to come by and there's this pesky, lingering stuff in your peripheral vision which suggests that you should be playing this straight and gritty rather than mad and stupid.

So it's not quite Mafia/Mafia II, and it's not quite SR 3 either. It feels like a total compromise to me. It's undoubtedly a very intelligent, polished, big, incredible simulation of a city and collection of pop culture, but as a game I find it a very middle of the road and confused experience.

But yeah, it is generally best to not disregard something just for being licensed. Same with a licensed video game. Yeah, a lot of them suck. But sometimes you find a gem that just "got it right" or a studio/writer you like gave it a whirl.
    Fuck that. My time is limited and "licensed" is a good handle for "sucky." If something is a notable exception, people will say so, but I've learned not to take the word of people who read licensed stuff as a habit. Warhammer especially!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl