Page 570 of 1190 FirstFirst ... 704705205605685695705715725806206701070 ... LastLast
Results 11,381 to 11,400 of 23790
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah. Regardless of what the PC Master Race might say, if you want to play basically anything remotely new that isn't an FPS, RTS, or (c)RPG, get an XBOX 360 controller. If you get the wired kind, you can probably get it for 20-30 bucks (I got mine for 10 on sale a few years back). All the drivers are already in Windows, so it is plug and play. And the drivers are actually really good and things are very crisp. It is probably one of, if not the, best game pads for the PC.

And, if you enjoy emulated games that you totally obviously have the legal-ish rights to be playing: THe 360 controller and the PS3 are basically an evolotuion of a path that goes all the way back to the nes (and beyond), so you'll have enough buttons in a good enough position for just about every console.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    @gundato

Those people don't know their history, anyway. I remember playing games back in the early 90's that were designed specifically for a Gravis pad. PC controllers have been around for a very long time.

To be fair, there was a pretty sizeable stretch from late 90s to early 00s where a gamepad was probably not worth owning for most gamers. Mostly because all that games that would use it were console exclusive titles. Of the PC games that would have been better with one, they were few enough that the "meh" mouse/keyboard interface was tolerable enough that it wasn't worth buying an actual gamepad.

It is only comparatively recently that almost every game is cross-platform and that developers are starting to say "You know what? Your asses can just buy a gamepad. We don't want to have to optimize this for the mouse and keyboard".
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Activated Node
    First games I played were on a Commodore 64: joystick! I owned gamepads throughout my pc gaming 'career'. In my mind it only got out-of-style, during the XBOX days, when console-shootygames got hip.

Best anecdote: I played Outcast - when it came out - on a sidewinder flightstick. Not sure if I can do that with kb/m.

Oh, I have no problems with having a pad or using one. I'm not too young to remember the days when a joystick was mandatory to play anything on my Commodore 64 which was my first PC.

It's just that the cash is rather tight, what with working part time and being a student in this crap economy. I think I can get one for about 10€ though, it probably will suck but oh well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I wonder if I am still competent with a joystick. I haven't used one for about 15 years. I suppose controllers aren't the sorts of things you forget how to use. But they are rather troublesome to learn how to use, at least for an adult. I've never enjoyed using a gamepad, probably because I never really picked one up until I was about 23. Similarly, my mother is trying to play Thief but is finding the fps mouse-and-keyboard controls very difficult.
    Last edited by NathanH; 05-01-2013 at 04:11 PM.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

So... Just finished Mass Effect, and I'm glad I finally decided to get over the boring combat. It actually gets less boring once you are nearing the end of the game and you have more options aviable. The story... Well. It's just great.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Nearing the end of Mass Effect 3.... Cerberus' Chinese named ninja-clown on Thessia to which you lose in a cutscene. The latter is made even worse by earlier Mass Effect games already having sequences that end in you losing a fight, but which are played out through normal game mechanics.
    This was possibly the most annoying thing about that game for me. Do not emasculate my character in a cutscene, especially when I've been comfortably kicking ass beforehand.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexClockwork View Post
    So... Just finished Mass Effect, and I'm glad I finally decided to get over the boring combat. It actually gets less boring once you are nearing the end of the game and you have more options aviable. The story... Well. It's just great.
    The good news for you is that in Mass Effect 2 they made the combat better for the most part. One bit I really don't agree with is "thermal clips", but once you get past that most of the powers feel better, the guns are better and the combat is very good.

Seriously though? Thermal clips?? "I know we have these guns that work on science magic, they'll work seemingly forever and if you shoot them too much you just have to wait a couple of seconds for it to cool down, but you know what's even better? If we make the thermal device replaceable and make it so the gun can't fire without one!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    The good news for you is that in Mass Effect 2 they made the combat better for the most part. One bit I really don't agree with is "thermal clips", but once you get past that most of the powers feel better, the guns are better and the combat is very good.

Seriously though? Thermal clips?? "I know we have these guns that work on science magic, they'll work seemingly forever and if you shoot them too much you just have to wait a couple of seconds for it to cool down, but you know what's even better? If we make the thermal device replaceable and make it so the gun can't fire without one!"
    Ehm... I don't fully understand what those things are, but they seem unfunny. Well, we'll see... >.<

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    The in-universe reasoning is, "forcing soldiers to sit and do nothing on the battlefield as their weapons cooled was a dumb move on our part. At least this way the rate of fire could keep up for the length of a heated firefight."
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    I was actually fine with the thermal clips. I thought that they did a good job of eliminating the need to constantly search for ammo while also providing a reason to shoot carefully and not just spam bullets. That being said, it's been a while since of played the game, so I may not be remembering it correctly.

Currently I'm playing Dragon Age: Origins. Currently making my way through Denerim, which is full of massive bandit mobs that attack at a moments notice and occasionally appear out of absolutely no where. Which is infuriating, especially since I just finished the abysmal "Lost In Dreams" quest and don't exactly have a ton of patience left. Still, hopefully once I'm out of the back alleys things will calm down a bit.

Thermal clips are ammo clips, pretty much. Mass Effect 2 and 3 have much better combat, well ... considering they are pretty much still corridor cover shooters, but especially 3rd one has some great background stuff going on. Also on 3rd you get to have biotic explosions if you mix different effects on the same target, so it was a lot more entertaining for me.

And the endings are pretty ... okay with the extended cut. Videogames and long book series almost always suffer from botched endings anyway.

I just dislike DA:O. It's a good game, but there is so much boring combat padding. So much.
    Last edited by Caddybear; 05-01-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    I'm currently dividing my time between King of Dragon Pass and ToME4, having a blast.

I did take a break yesterday and played Little Inferno, and really enjoyed it. It's a very neat concept for a game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    This was possibly the most annoying thing about that game for me. Do not emasculate my character in a cutscene, especially when I've been comfortably kicking ass beforehand.
    Exactly, and it wasn't even close. I hit this Leng character all of four times with the Black Widow sniper rifle before he called in the cutscene back-up; and that was on hardcore, meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post
    Also on 3rd you get to have biotic explosions if you mix different effects on the same target, so it was a lot more entertaining for me.
    The biotic combinations are in Mass Effect 2 as well, there's actually an achievement for doing so a number of times. But indeed, it makes things more interesting if you're playing a biotic character. Especially in Mass Effect 2, I imagine you can pull of some pretty good combinations with the great variety of biotic squad mates on offer.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Combinations were possible but nowhere near as powerful, I think you could detonate Singularity with a Warp in 2. In third you can make huge explosions by mixing any 2 different effects pretty much. Still, you're right of course.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Ah, fair enough! I've only done ME3 with a Vanguard and now with an Infiltrator and while the first has some biotic powers, I mostly took Garrus and EDI's platform along that time who don't so I probably missed most of what was possible on that front.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

*Cough*Spoilers*Cough*

Ha ha, just had a minor aneurysm.

Dark Souls said it couldn't load my save game OR my back-ups. before crying, I did a quick google and saw that it sometimes does that, and to try restarting the game. So crisis averted

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post
    Thermal clips are ammo clips, pretty much.
    Except universally modular.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen