Page 575 of 1138 FirstFirst ... 754755255655735745755765775856256751075 ... LastLast
Results 11,481 to 11,500 of 22757
  1. #11481
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Spoilers:

    Final baddie before the white beam.
    Huh, don't remember that being a problem. Really, the only thing that really irritates me about ME3 is that idiotic reaper boss fight (and, to a lesser degree, Kai Leng). I'm pretty fine with everything else.

  2. #11482
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,612
    No no he means that should be the true ending of Mass Effect, with Shepard just losing there Marauder Shields.
    steam: sketch

  3. #11483
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    What's a marauder shield?
    A meme for haters.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  4. #11484
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    1,950
    XCOM, today.

    Right. This is going make it or break it but either way I'm expecting some heavy resistance. Mutons, probably. All of my high ranks ate plasmas and went six feet under, so I'm not really expecting much for these losers to take them on. God, I'm gonna lose this
    Art blog here.

    Doodles poodles sheboodles

  5. #11485
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Not a hater, but I do seriously dislike the extended endings, which apart from destroy feel too deus ex machina... That said, in my interpretation an element of the ending is indoctrination.

    You spent 3 games trying to kill the pricks, an ending slide reel that explains every summer everyone meets up with the reapers on South Beach for surfing and volleyball doesn't sit well with me.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  6. #11486
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,312
    The extended cut added my favourite ending - rather than walking towards one of the lights you shoot the little holo-bastard, causing him to stalk off saying in a Reaper voice something to the effect of "Well fuck you too then". Then you get a cutscene from the future showing one of Liara's timecapsule/knowledge/beacon things playing. Works for me as in my mind you should never have been fighting all the Reapers like that anyway: ME1 made it quite clear that if they turned up then everyone was dead, so I'm happy with my Shepard making the attempt but failing in the end.
    I also like to think he recorded over the end of Liara's message with a video of him drunk, dressed as the Council, doing the Shepard dance while shouting "The Reapers are a myth! There is no evidence! The Reapers are a myth! etc".

  7. #11487
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Not a hater, but I do seriously dislike the extended endings, which apart from destroy feel too deus ex machina... That said, in my interpretation an element of the ending is indoctrination.

    You spent 3 games trying to kill the pricks, an ending slide reel that explains every summer everyone meets up with the reapers on South Beach for surfing and volleyball doesn't sit well with me.
    The only real enemy were the plot holes and contradictions.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

  8. #11488
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus c-Row's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anus Mundi, Germany
    Posts
    1,184
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution, right after the Picus segment. I was planning to do a full run & gun playthrough this time but fell back into my old "hack this, sneak that" habit. Maybe next time...?

    By the way - is the Missing Link DLC somehow integrated into the game or do I have to launch it separately at the point where it's supposed to happen?
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

  9. #11489
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,839
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I was planning to do a full run & gun playthrough this time but fell back into my old "hack this, sneak that" habit. Maybe next time...?

    By the way - is the Missing Link DLC somehow integrated into the game or do I have to launch it separately at the point where it's supposed to happen?
    Make a point of ventilating everyone in the head or murdering them with elbow swords, you'l get different dialogue from people at least.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  10. #11490
    Network Hub elephant god's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution, right after the Picus segment. I was planning to do a full run & gun playthrough this time but fell back into my old "hack this, sneak that" habit. Maybe next time...?

    By the way - is the Missing Link DLC somehow integrated into the game or do I have to launch it separately at the point where it's supposed to happen?
    not even slightly integrated in the game. completely standalone, with an own entry in your steam library. I just played it after the harbour section.

  11. #11491
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,269
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    You will do better with higher levels simply because they have the tools to do so. That being said, if you're playing a specific way and have the tools early, there's nothing stopping you then. For example, at level 14 you get your second commander slot ability. For the Farseer, this is a mass confusion. By mass, I mean 50% of the enemy units will turn and attack the other 50%. The set-up I used to go with this turns the Farseer into purely support (I don't think they're that good for much else, perhaps with some of the DLC stuff) and along with massive energy regen and group teleportation and cloak, I might get the lowest score, but you can be damn sure the win is in no small part to me.

    If you want to see good builds, there are some guides out there on the interwebbing that suggest certain routes. A few forum threads too. Just have a Google and you will find something. I think the 'easiest' hero to do it with is probably the Ork one, as his main gun is a great single target damage dealer, whilst his other abilities give him tons of malleability.
    Thanks for that. I'm currently running with a Space Marine Captain, now level 12, mainly using him as a tank and to disrupt and hoping that someone else has brought someone else along for the damage. I tend to just run around kill alot in the early rounds, swarms especially, but from about 7-8 onward I act as a sweeper and woosh bam into mobs who are too powerful for my allies, keep knocking them over so that they can't hurt my friends and die easier. Then I woosh bam somewhere else to take on things like Nobs and other heavy hitters, or to revive my fallen pals. It seems to work pretty well, and is good fun, not too micro intensive but not too boring either, and it's quite reliant on helping others so you feel necessary and part of a team too. I'm confident I'll beat it some stage.

  12. #11492
    Lesser Hivemind Node Gorzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Thanks for that. I'm currently running with a Space Marine Captain, now level 12, mainly using him as a tank and to disrupt and hoping that someone else has brought someone else along for the damage. I tend to just run around kill alot in the early rounds, swarms especially, but from about 7-8 onward I act as a sweeper and woosh bam into mobs who are too powerful for my allies, keep knocking them over so that they can't hurt my friends and die easier. Then I woosh bam somewhere else to take on things like Nobs and other heavy hitters, or to revive my fallen pals. It seems to work pretty well, and is good fun, not too micro intensive but not too boring either, and it's quite reliant on helping others so you feel necessary and part of a team too. I'm confident I'll beat it some stage.
    Just a heads up, your allies might very well be better at taking down single enemies than you expect (or indeed you yourself are). I play Chaos Sorcerer. Warp behind enemy, doombolt at point blank range, nothing survives that shit. Also, if a sorcerer teleports himself on the middle of a huge mass of enemies, don't panic, hes going to wipe them all. And what you say about reviving is true, Marine Captains have a way to turn a loss into a fighting chance by reviving thei two allies.

  13. #11493
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,240
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Thanks for that. I'm currently running with a Space Marine Captain, now level 12, mainly using him as a tank and to disrupt and hoping that someone else has brought someone else along for the damage. I tend to just run around kill alot in the early rounds, swarms especially, but from about 7-8 onward I act as a sweeper and woosh bam into mobs who are too powerful for my allies, keep knocking them over so that they can't hurt my friends and die easier. Then I woosh bam somewhere else to take on things like Nobs and other heavy hitters, or to revive my fallen pals. It seems to work pretty well, and is good fun, not too micro intensive but not too boring either, and it's quite reliant on helping others so you feel necessary and part of a team too. I'm confident I'll beat it some stage.
    If you enjoy that style of gameplay, my favorite Tau Commander kit was geared entirely around hopping around and being a nuisance whilst never dying. Works great when both of your allies are dead but too many enemies are stomping around to get them back up.

  14. #11494
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,418
    The Space Marine Commander has some nice tools at his disposal, especially if you bought the extra war-gear. That said, I don't think you can reliably use him without a jet pack. The later rounds require mobility and whilst you can tank up with enough armour and mitigation, you will inevitably get crushed by being swarmed, not to mention the anti-armour capabilities of some enemy units, which basically amounts to most of the Tyranid force. If you want a laugh and are able to unlock it, the thunder hammer can be quite fun. I'm not quite sure of its overall potential, but you're great against vehicles (stun them), great against single units (knockback) and decent against basic infantry (large arc). The problem with that though is that you sacrifice some utility and defence. Of course, that might be seen as being entirely acceptable when you jet-pack into a group of enemies, swing your electrified hammer and then jump out again.

    Man, I wanna play some Last Stand now.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

  15. #11495
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,269
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    The Space Marine Commander has some nice tools at his disposal, especially if you bought the extra war-gear. That said, I don't think you can reliably use him without a jet pack. The later rounds require mobility and whilst you can tank up with enough armour and mitigation, you will inevitably get crushed by being swarmed, not to mention the anti-armour capabilities of some enemy units, which basically amounts to most of the Tyranid force. If you want a laugh and are able to unlock it, the thunder hammer can be quite fun. I'm not quite sure of its overall potential, but you're great against vehicles (stun them), great against single units (knockback) and decent against basic infantry (large arc). The problem with that though is that you sacrifice some utility and defence. Of course, that might be seen as being entirely acceptable when you jet-pack into a group of enemies, swing your electrified hammer and then jump out again.

    Man, I wanna play some Last Stand now.
    It’s good fun for a few distracting hours, feels the most Wahammery in my opinion (in spite of the obvious factional contrasts, but in the amoral grim dark future it’s not so far fetched) looks good, feels satisfying, and crucially is easy to pick up and get on with, you don’t get womped within seconds if you’re not familiar with it. I’ll happily play later on tonight if you’re after a buddy, if you want.

    I’ll play on my own and cry lonely tears if not though, don’t worry about me, I can make it on my own DONTTOUCHME

  16. #11496
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    That's what the fuss is about? You shoot him in the head a few times and he drops.

    I will never unnderstand the reaction of most people to that game. Personally, I was just happy to see some of the RPG elements from the original restored, which in my book puts it comfortably above 2 in the series.

  17. #11497
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,155
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    That's what the fuss is about? You shoot him in the head a few times and he drops.

    I will never unnderstand the reaction of most people to that game. Personally, I was just happy to see some of the RPG elements from the original restored, which in my book puts it comfortably above 2 in the series.
    It comes from people being told that their choices from all the games will effect the very outcome of the ending. In reality, not even the choices you make in ME3 have very much of an effect on the ending. So the very vocal out there on the internet, took this as the equivalent of finding out their wife who they love very much and have done for the last umpteen years has been unfaithful with Bob from the office and she's been doing everything with him that she wont with you.

    While there are some constructive and well put arguments for why the ending was bad and it wasn't very nice of Bioware or EAs marketing team to lie about the choices mattering, people over reacted by slamming the entire series based on the last 10 minutes of a three part series of games.

  18. #11498
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,508
    The inventory is almost unusable and the upgrade choices make little difference. You really think those things make it a better game despite the worse combat mechanics, shit quests and writing, ruined lore and bland presentation?

    Not only the ending was bad.
    Last edited by SirKicksalot; 07-01-2013 at 03:44 PM.

  19. #11499
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,298
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    That's what the fuss is about? You shoot him in the head a few times and he drops.

    I will never unnderstand the reaction of most people to that game. Personally, I was just happy to see some of the RPG elements from the original restored, which in my book puts it comfortably above 2 in the series.
    The main problem is that people HATED the last five minutes. And while they weren't the strongest five minutes, the problem was that they went with a different kind of sci-fi that many of the fans weren't expecting/didn't understand. And it was probably a bad move on Bioware's part to go from "Explodey awesome space" sci-fi to "Make you think and contemplate humanity and philosophy" sci-fi. Plus

    SPOILER: Apparently the same people who don't understand Contact also didn't understand that the AI took the form of a child who was near Sheperd's thoughts, rather than was ACTUALLY the child.

    And if someone finds they don't like the last five minutes, they retroactivey hate the entire series. It is the same reason why people call Lost the worst show ever, even though they absolutely loved it up until the last season.

    Personally, I loved the ME3 ending (even before the DLC). But that is because the entire GAME was the ending to the trilogy. From the destruction of Alliance HQ on Earth right up to the last moment, that was the ending of the trilogy. The entire game was about tying up loose ends and making one last stand. 1 and 2 opened up those looose ends as you were struggling to delay. And once there were no more chances to delay the Reapers, it was time to cash in every favor and do whatever it took to make the last stand you had been avoiding for the first two games. And I think it got the sense of desperation and despair perfect, if only by starting with a curb-stomping "You are boned" intro (just like Infamous 2). So yeah, the last five minutes were a bit surreal/hinky, but the entire game leading up to it was great. Sure there were some questionable plot moments, but that is to be expected from ANY series (or even single story). Hell, LIFE has plot holes in the sense that you don't understand why things occur/contradict themselves.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  20. #11500
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,155
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    The inventory is almost unusable and the upgrade choices make little difference. You really think those things make it a better game despite the worse combat mechanics, shit quests and writing, ruined lore and bland presentation?
    I barely remember an inventory system in this game (Mass Effect 3) since they pretty much removed it after the first game.

    Apart from the ammo they brought in, the combat in Mass Effect got better as the games went on.

    The quests and writing (ending excluded) pretty much all stayed at the same level. Some where bad and some where good. Lets not pretend with rose tinted glasses that the quests in Mass Effect 1 where all amazing. What was ruined in the lore and how was the presentation bland? The only item in the ME universe that I know of that properly ruins the lore is the fourth book because of all the errors it makes.

    *EDIT*
    *stands up from his chair next to Gundato* I am Spartacus! - In other words I also liked the ending.
    Last edited by Jesus_Phish; 07-01-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •