Page 589 of 1239 FirstFirst ... 894895395795875885895905915996396891089 ... LastLast
Results 11,761 to 11,780 of 24776
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    How hard is original XCOM to get it,don't know why but the new one feels kinda limited,even as i didn't played original ones.
    Your rookies shoot like half-blind old men with Parkinson's disease, for starters. And the starting gear for your troops are nothing more than a rubber band and pebbles to fend for themselves.
    Last edited by Voon; 14-01-2013 at 03:56 PM.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    I find it very hard. Extremely.

People get one shotted all the time and I don't have idea where a shot come from. You can easily miss an alien who is in the corner but your soldier didn't look there (so alien can be next to your guy and you won't know it)
    and your base can get invaded
    and if you don't build it properly you are apparently screwed. i am still waiting for my first xcombase invasion

love the game. got used to the graphics and interface in an hour. give it a try. It is dosbox so works perfectly and it is cheap. (GOG does not have the first game. it has only newer ones made by different team. so i got my copy via steam)

but yeah: the game is frigging hard. no ironman mode here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Playing NWN2 to see what difference there is if you play as a Tiefling, horns and all.

So far, the only difference is that Neeshka says, "hey, another Tiefling!"

Upon firing up NWN2 I was immediately reminded of the many things I disliked about the D&D universe. In NWN2 alone, you get to be:

a half-elf
    a half-orc
    a half-elemental
    a half-snake
    a half-angel
    a half-demon
    a half-dragon

so I of course set out to be a human with both demon and dragon blood, because if they want to be a Mary Sue, I will Mary Sue the fuck outta them! Also, humans are total sluts.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    And in how many of those unions were we raped? I'd say at least half. Especially when it comes to those orcs, the filthy buggers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Playing NWN2 to see what difference there is if you play as a Tiefling, horns and all.

So far, the only difference is that Neeshka says, "hey, another Tiefling!"

Upon firing up NWN2 I was immediately reminded of the many things I disliked about the D&D universe. In NWN2 alone, you get to be:

a half-elf
    a half-orc
    a half-elemental
    a half-snake
    a half-angel
    a half-demon
    a half-dragon

so I of course set out to be a human with both demon and dragon blood, because if they want to be a Mary Sue, I will Mary Sue the fuck outta them! Also, humans are total sluts.
    I played that game as a dwarf monk. I was able to tell Khelgar "isn't a monk a strange path for a dwarf" to which he replied "what would you know?"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    And in how many of those unions were we raped? I'd say at least half. Especially when it comes to those orcs, the filthy buggers.
    And yet you never see any half-orc/half-elf or half-elf/half-dwarf or half-celestial/half-snake.

We could be getting all sorts of Greek Diety all up in here, and yet somehow only humans seem to get the attention.

Maybe humans are just asking for it, dressing up in that adventurer gear and acting like they didn't expect this would happen...
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    I'd pity any developer who had to come up with unique things that could correspond to any combination of NWN2 starting conditions. The fact you can set your age means you can be a grey-haired, 500 year-old half-angel who only now is allowed to go out into the world by his foster father. Wisdom/Intelligence 18 or no, that kid is special.

And don't assume it ain't the humans doing the dicking. There's always a guy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    In general Bioware is bad about that, but I think the ME series (particularly 3) has the best alignment meter, period.
    I disagree. I firmly believe it's Dragon Age 2. Good or bad is scrapped in favour of what other characters would prefer and the friendship/rivalry system comes into place. The effect is they then get different skills available to them and will further react differently to you. It removes that annoying element of having to do the "the right thing".
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    And yet you never see any half-orc/half-elf or half-elf/half-dwarf or half-celestial/half-snake.

We could be getting all sorts of Greek Diety all up in here, and yet somehow only humans seem to get the attention.

Maybe humans are just asking for it, dressing up in that adventurer gear and acting like they didn't expect this would happen...
    Actually, additional books generally add those races in. Or, preferably, they take an approach of just adding modifiers you can apply. So a "Half-Celestial, Half-Dwarf"/"Dwarven Aasimar" would just be a Dwarf that you apply the appropriate version of the planetouched template to. I don't have my books with me (and it has been a while since I even played D&D), but I think the Monster Manual goes into this.

The games (and core books) just generally simplify the character creation by focusing on the core races. NWN2 just decided to add in a few variant races as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I disagree. I firmly believe it's Dragon Age 2. Good or bad is scrapped in favour of what other characters would prefer and the friendship/rivalry system comes into place. The effect is they then get different skills available to them and will further react differently to you. It removes that annoying element of having to do the "the right thing".

Which removes any sense of self and turns you into a huge and manipulative asshat. You are actively discouraged from doing what "you" want to do, and instead are expected to do what your companions want. And considering all the companions in DA2 are meant to be tragic characters, well, yeah...

I greatly preferred the ME-approach where your companions are generally cool with what you do (they might express distaste, but they won't get pissy) outside of their personal quests. Which makes sense.
    Last edited by gundato; 14-01-2013 at 04:35 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    And don't assume it ain't the humans doing the dicking. There's always a guy.
    The only reason we don't have half-human/half-couches roaming the lands is because there aren't any sentient couches.

Which removes any sense of self and turns you into a huge and manipulative asshat. You are actively discouraged from doing what "you" want to do, and instead are expected to do what your companions want. And considering all the companions in DA2 are meant to be tragic characters, well, yeah...

I greatly preferred the ME-approach where your companions are generally cool with what you do (they might express distaste, but they won't get pissy) outside of their personal quests. Which makes sense.
    But you are a huge, manipulative asshat. That's kinda the role you play.

The difference in Mass Effect is that everybody has a massive case of Hero Worship when it comes to you.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I wanna be a half-halfling.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    The only reason we don't have half-human/half-couches roaming the lands is because there aren't any sentient couches.
    Or sentient benches.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Then only take the characters with you that agree with you? It's also the role that you clearly undertook as your character. Mine was a mostly sarcastic but well meaning individual who err'd towards the most beneficial for all. It's also why when it came to the final act and what Anders had got up to, [spoiler]I had to agonise between handing him over and exiling him, eventually managing to convince people of the latter, even though I'm not sure that was even the right thing to do. What he did was fundamentally wrong, even if I could see why he did it[/spoiler]. The only thing I can think of that comes close to that in ME3 is with Mordin's arc.