Page 590 of 1184 FirstFirst ... 904905405805885895905915926006406901090 ... LastLast
Results 11,781 to 11,800 of 23669
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by De_willy View Post
    Did a full playthrough on normal and i took me ~20 hours to complete (minus all the failed attempts where i had to quickload).
    I will probably try a new playthrough on hard once i finished Moments of Truth.
    Bought both games for 19.99€ which seems a very good price for the amount of playtime i'm offered.

Btw. I found the hitman games easier to complete. Especially the "8 snipers" missions was a pain. From this day on DTS is one of my all time favourite games.

Ps. I'm also playing loads of BF2: Project Reality. Really an amazing experience with the integrated mumble support.

OMG! You are my men,kudos! I gave yearh and half to Project Reality,really best mod ever. DTS,one of the best stealth games,even as it is quite basic in gameplay.

For unknown reason even STALKER:Soc is stuttering like hell,without complete,on highest or lowest settings,can't bother anymore to fix it so i'm searching for alternatives.

There is Boiling Point,but it was buggy as hell,animals tend to fly in this game ahah crazy shit :D There is also something on X,from same devs who made Boiling Point,need to google it out.
    Last edited by DaftPunk; 14-01-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    So, just finished the Blackwell games, all 4 of them.
    And I don't know how to feel.

I bought them during the Steam sale for cheap, about 6.74€ for all 4 if I recall correctly.

On one side, I'm glad I didn't pay more, because they're criminally short.

But on the other side, I feel guilty I didn't pay more, because short as they were, I loved every second of it; it's been a long time since a P&C adventure game drew me in like this.

I can only hope they'll make more, and if they do, I'll have to consider buying them at full price.

I finished The Longest Journey a couple days ago, but haven't mentioned it because it felt like a big mixed bag. When all the pieces aligned, it did work well indeed, but this was only for limited stretches, for most of time there was something just not falling in line and the whole experience suffered for it. I'm still willing to try Dreamfall, anyway.

So, to make up for the disappointment, I picked another one of those "game I had hopes for" from my backlog, and the choice fell upon Vessel. The music is quite fantastic (Jon Hopkins) and adds a lot to the atmosphere, although 5 hours in, I'm not as happy about it as the demo made me hope. It's a good, maybe even a very good game, but it has this sad effect of making me better realize how accomplished and polished other puzzle platformers, such as Braid, the Trines or Limbo really are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    I can only hope they'll make more, and if they do, I'll have to consider buying them at full price.
    There's another one in development right now. Not only the Blackwell series is both popular and the brainchild of Dave Gilbert, but I would assume it's the cash cow, unlikely to go away, given that most of the games he's published have been written/developed by other people, including Gemini Rue, Resonance and Primordia.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    There's another one in development right now. Not only the Blackwell series is both popular and the brainchild of Dave Gilbert, but I would assume it's the cash cow, unlikely to go away, given that most of the games he's published have been written/developed by other people, including Gemini Rue, Resonance and Primordia.
    Funny thing, I decided to pick the Blackwell games over Primordia thinking "Hmm, 4 games for less than the asking price of Primordia? These will likely tide me over until there's a sale for Primordia or it's featured in a bundle".

Yeah that ended well. Not only did they last me one single weekend, they were so ridiculously good I'm left wanting more. Clearly this is a conspiracy by Dave to make me buy more Wadjet Eye games.

Good to know there's a new one in development though, thanks for the heads up.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    I finished The Longest Journey a couple days ago, but haven't mentioned it because it felt like a big mixed bag.
    More so than any other game I've played, I feel the Longest Journey would have been better off as a book or a film. Its strongest qualities lie in the world-building and writing. The characters manage to be engaging, funny and relatable and the world around you actually feels properly alive, a feat which many games struggle to achieve. Unfortunately, the gameplay itself is completely forgettable. The puzzles are either so easy that they feel like pointless filler or needlessy obtuse and frustrating. Nothing of value would be lost if they simply didn't exist.

It also suffers from being hideously ugly in parts, but I can't really blame it for that considering most of the early 3D games looked like that. And it does have some nice backgrounds to make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    These will likely tide me over until there's a sale for Primordia or it's featured in a bundle".
    Resonance was better reviewed and went 75% off this christmas, so Primordia, maybe next summer or earlier if 50% off sounds good enough and it gets featured as a daily.

As for bundles, Deception and Gemini Rue ~10-12 months after initial release if I made my homework.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    At last i came home,to the Zone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Screw The Walking Dead. How dare you evoke feelings in me.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Its strongest qualities lie in the world-building and writing. The characters manage to be engaging, funny and relatable and the world around you actually feels properly alive, a feat which many games struggle to achieve.
    Agreed, although sometimes I had the feeling the characters/author were taking too much of a liking to the sound of their own voices (voice work has also high and low points, some deliveries are really forced, probably an attempt to make them sound different) or that some quirks were overly marked in an attempt to infuse personality in minor characters - that trick gets old fast.

The puzzles are either so easy that they feel like pointless filler or needlessy obtuse and frustrating.
    Right, after the first 3 hours or so, I simply decided to spam a walkthrough whenever I was stumped for more than a lot.

It also suffers from being hideously ugly in parts, but I can't really blame it for that considering most of the early 3D games looked like that. And it does have some nice backgrounds to make up for it.
    The worst offender must be character design, especially April's, I'm not really complaining about the rest, though the 3D elements looked jarringly low-res compared to the backgrounds - it felt a bit like playing the original AitD at times - minus the scary bits.

And as I'm rereading through the post now, thinking maybe this game would have gained from being more compact.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    The most insane thing about TLJ for me is the use of 3D characters in the 2D environments. They look uniformly awful, while the environments often look incredible.

Why have characters like this (which look even worse in motion):

When you could have had them like this:

I guess you might lost some movement freedom with the latter, but I'd say it's a price worth paying.
    Dreamfall was pretty good for graphics all round though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    The most insane thing about TLJ for me is the use of 3D characters in the 2D environments. They look uniformly awful, while the environments often look incredible.
    Because 3D was new. And you always have early adopters.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Because 3D was new. And you always have early adopters.
    Would we really say it was a new thing in 1999 (or early '98 which is when I guess developement to have started). Hell, Magic Carpet came out in 1994, and Half-Life in '98. I think it's more that they wanted their Action sequences where you have to run April away from things; also known as "One of the worst parts of the game".

Would we really say it was a new thing in 1999 (or early '98 which is when I guess developement to have started). Hell, Magic Carpet came out in 1994, and Half-Life in '98. I think it's more that they wanted their Action sequences where you have to run April away from things; also known as "One of the worst parts of the game".
    In that case it just looks like a game that spent waaaay too long in development.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

In that case it just looks like a game that spent waaaay too long in development.
    Aaaah now we're talking. I think if ever there was a series I'd love a full remake of it's TLJ and Dreamfall. Keep all plot, characters and dialogue but get rid of lots of the gameplay for either something better or something less painful, and then wrap it all up in a great engine with faces matching the words.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Aaaah now we're talking. I think if ever there was a series I'd love a full remake of it's TLJ and Dreamfall. Keep all plot, characters and dialogue but get rid of lots of the gameplay for either something better or something less painful, and then wrap it all up in a great engine with faces matching the words.
    Not a remake but Ragnar Tornquist is getting ready to hit the Kickstarter trail to get his Dreamfall sequel funded.

I honestly pegged it at circa '96-'97, when polygons were a thing and the world literally deformed at distances of 1000 feet (and Magic Carpet had a draw distance of your nose anyway). But then, this is what I was playing in 1999.
    Last edited by Nalano; 15-01-2013 at 12:17 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

I'd love a full remake of it's TLJ and Dreamfall. Keep all plot, characters and dialogue but get rid of lots of the gameplay for either something better or something less painful, and then wrap it all up in a great engine with faces matching the words.
    This thought crossed my mind more than once while playing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Assassin's Creed: Reflexology. I finished it's narrative, and now I want more. When I finished Brotherhood I was quite happy to wait for Rev to be cheap, that's not a slight, it was very satisfying narratively and mechanically.

But the Brotherhood "expansion" Revelations was satisfying in another way, it closed the door on altair and ezio so hard that any mention of them in the sequels will seem superfluous.

I'm excited to play Ass3, but I'm more than happy to take a break from the franchise after rumbles that 3 isn't too different. I still have a few quests I want to complete in Rev, and see how they tweaked mp.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I honestly pegged it at circa '96-'97, when polygons were a thing and the world literally deformed at distances of 1000 feet (and Magic Carpet had a draw distance of your nose anyway). But then, this is what I was playing in 1999.
    Quite possible, especially if they were flitting between 2D and 3D. For the record, my 1999 also involved DKII. Along with Tiberium Sun and UT.

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    Not a remake but Ragnar Tornquist is getting ready to hit the Kickstarter trail to get his Dreamfall sequel funded.
    I worry about that. I'll back it, but I worry they may ask too much. The problem I see is they could spend too much money and time on graphics, because Dreamfall was full 3D while looking pretty decent and I can't think of a single game where a sequel didn't look better than the game it's based on (please provide counter examples if you can think of any*). I can see nothing in my Steam list showing a graphical step-down between games, and so I worry at what Ragnar might try and do.

*Examples of properly better, ie. more advanced graphics as opposed to just better art or stylings. Eg. I thought Sands of Time looked better than Warrior Within but the latter definitely had more fancy visual words going for it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    finished the Leon story for RE6. Very enjoyable. The QTEs are a lot more generic (and less fun/immersive) than in even RE5 (so crap compared to RE4), but the set pieces and what not were definitely fun with a high HSQ. Not sure if I am going to Baby Wesker or WOrld's Worst Protagonist next.

After I finish RE6 or EYE I'll probably sit down and try to do a proper run of the entire BG series. I know of Tutu, but are there any better ways to play BG1 with the BG2 engine? I'll probalby roll a mage (a better contrast with Sarevok and more fitting with Irenicus), so weapon availability isn't a huge issue (I dislike the Kenshi/Mage with a passion).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.