Page 590 of 1203 FirstFirst ... 904905405805885895905915926006406901090 ... LastLast
Results 11,781 to 11,800 of 24052
  1. #11781
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    That hellhole known as "Spain"
    Posts
    1,807
    So, just finished the Blackwell games, all 4 of them.
    And I don't know how to feel.

    I bought them during the Steam sale for cheap, about 6.74€ for all 4 if I recall correctly.

    On one side, I'm glad I didn't pay more, because they're criminally short.

    But on the other side, I feel guilty I didn't pay more, because short as they were, I loved every second of it; it's been a long time since a P&C adventure game drew me in like this.

    I can only hope they'll make more, and if they do, I'll have to consider buying them at full price.

  2. #11782
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,117
    I finished The Longest Journey a couple days ago, but haven't mentioned it because it felt like a big mixed bag. When all the pieces aligned, it did work well indeed, but this was only for limited stretches, for most of time there was something just not falling in line and the whole experience suffered for it. I'm still willing to try Dreamfall, anyway.

    So, to make up for the disappointment, I picked another one of those "game I had hopes for" from my backlog, and the choice fell upon Vessel. The music is quite fantastic (Jon Hopkins) and adds a lot to the atmosphere, although 5 hours in, I'm not as happy about it as the demo made me hope. It's a good, maybe even a very good game, but it has this sad effect of making me better realize how accomplished and polished other puzzle platformers, such as Braid, the Trines or Limbo really are.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    I can only hope they'll make more, and if they do, I'll have to consider buying them at full price.
    There's another one in development right now. Not only the Blackwell series is both popular and the brainchild of Dave Gilbert, but I would assume it's the cash cow, unlikely to go away, given that most of the games he's published have been written/developed by other people, including Gemini Rue, Resonance and Primordia.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  3. #11783
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    That hellhole known as "Spain"
    Posts
    1,807
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    There's another one in development right now. Not only the Blackwell series is both popular and the brainchild of Dave Gilbert, but I would assume it's the cash cow, unlikely to go away, given that most of the games he's published have been written/developed by other people, including Gemini Rue, Resonance and Primordia.
    Funny thing, I decided to pick the Blackwell games over Primordia thinking "Hmm, 4 games for less than the asking price of Primordia? These will likely tide me over until there's a sale for Primordia or it's featured in a bundle".

    Yeah that ended well. Not only did they last me one single weekend, they were so ridiculously good I'm left wanting more. Clearly this is a conspiracy by Dave to make me buy more Wadjet Eye games.

    Good to know there's a new one in development though, thanks for the heads up.

  4. #11784
    Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Zürich
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    I finished The Longest Journey a couple days ago, but haven't mentioned it because it felt like a big mixed bag.
    More so than any other game I've played, I feel the Longest Journey would have been better off as a book or a film. Its strongest qualities lie in the world-building and writing. The characters manage to be engaging, funny and relatable and the world around you actually feels properly alive, a feat which many games struggle to achieve. Unfortunately, the gameplay itself is completely forgettable. The puzzles are either so easy that they feel like pointless filler or needlessy obtuse and frustrating. Nothing of value would be lost if they simply didn't exist.

    It also suffers from being hideously ugly in parts, but I can't really blame it for that considering most of the early 3D games looked like that. And it does have some nice backgrounds to make up for it.

  5. #11785
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    These will likely tide me over until there's a sale for Primordia or it's featured in a bundle".
    Resonance was better reviewed and went 75% off this christmas, so Primordia, maybe next summer or earlier if 50% off sounds good enough and it gets featured as a daily.

    As for bundles, Deception and Gemini Rue ~10-12 months after initial release if I made my homework.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  6. #11786
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,244
    At last i came home,to the Zone.

  7. #11787
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,304
    Screw The Walking Dead. How dare you evoke feelings in me.

  8. #11788
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,117
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Its strongest qualities lie in the world-building and writing. The characters manage to be engaging, funny and relatable and the world around you actually feels properly alive, a feat which many games struggle to achieve.
    Agreed, although sometimes I had the feeling the characters/author were taking too much of a liking to the sound of their own voices (voice work has also high and low points, some deliveries are really forced, probably an attempt to make them sound different) or that some quirks were overly marked in an attempt to infuse personality in minor characters - that trick gets old fast.

    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    The puzzles are either so easy that they feel like pointless filler or needlessy obtuse and frustrating.
    Right, after the first 3 hours or so, I simply decided to spam a walkthrough whenever I was stumped for more than a lot.

    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    It also suffers from being hideously ugly in parts, but I can't really blame it for that considering most of the early 3D games looked like that. And it does have some nice backgrounds to make up for it.
    The worst offender must be character design, especially April's, I'm not really complaining about the rest, though the 3D elements looked jarringly low-res compared to the backgrounds - it felt a bit like playing the original AitD at times - minus the scary bits.

    And as I'm rereading through the post now, thinking maybe this game would have gained from being more compact.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  9. #11789
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    It also suffers from being hideously ugly in parts, but I can't really blame it for that considering most of the early 3D games looked like that. And it does have some nice backgrounds to make up for it.
    The most insane thing about TLJ for me is the use of 3D characters in the 2D environments. They look uniformly awful, while the environments often look incredible.

    Why have characters like this (which look even worse in motion):


    When you could have had them like this:


    I guess you might lost some movement freedom with the latter, but I'd say it's a price worth paying.
    Dreamfall was pretty good for graphics all round though.

  10. #11790
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    The most insane thing about TLJ for me is the use of 3D characters in the 2D environments. They look uniformly awful, while the environments often look incredible.
    Because 3D was new. And you always have early adopters.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  11. #11791
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Because 3D was new. And you always have early adopters.
    Would we really say it was a new thing in 1999 (or early '98 which is when I guess developement to have started). Hell, Magic Carpet came out in 1994, and Half-Life in '98. I think it's more that they wanted their Action sequences where you have to run April away from things; also known as "One of the worst parts of the game".

  12. #11792
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Would we really say it was a new thing in 1999 (or early '98 which is when I guess developement to have started). Hell, Magic Carpet came out in 1994, and Half-Life in '98. I think it's more that they wanted their Action sequences where you have to run April away from things; also known as "One of the worst parts of the game".
    In that case it just looks like a game that spent waaaay too long in development.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  13. #11793
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    In that case it just looks like a game that spent waaaay too long in development.
    Aaaah now we're talking. I think if ever there was a series I'd love a full remake of it's TLJ and Dreamfall. Keep all plot, characters and dialogue but get rid of lots of the gameplay for either something better or something less painful, and then wrap it all up in a great engine with faces matching the words.

  14. #11794
    Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    619
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Aaaah now we're talking. I think if ever there was a series I'd love a full remake of it's TLJ and Dreamfall. Keep all plot, characters and dialogue but get rid of lots of the gameplay for either something better or something less painful, and then wrap it all up in a great engine with faces matching the words.
    Not a remake but Ragnar Tornquist is getting ready to hit the Kickstarter trail to get his Dreamfall sequel funded.

  15. #11795
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Aaaah now we're talking. I think if ever there was a series I'd love a full remake of it's TLJ and Dreamfall. Keep all plot, characters and dialogue but get rid of lots of the gameplay for either something better or something less painful, and then wrap it all up in a great engine with faces matching the words.
    I honestly pegged it at circa '96-'97, when polygons were a thing and the world literally deformed at distances of 1000 feet (and Magic Carpet had a draw distance of your nose anyway). But then, this is what I was playing in 1999.
    Last edited by Nalano; 15-01-2013 at 12:17 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  16. #11796
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    I'd love a full remake of it's TLJ and Dreamfall. Keep all plot, characters and dialogue but get rid of lots of the gameplay for either something better or something less painful, and then wrap it all up in a great engine with faces matching the words.
    This thought crossed my mind more than once while playing.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  17. #11797
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,789
    Assassin's Creed: Reflexology. I finished it's narrative, and now I want more. When I finished Brotherhood I was quite happy to wait for Rev to be cheap, that's not a slight, it was very satisfying narratively and mechanically.

    But the Brotherhood "expansion" Revelations was satisfying in another way, it closed the door on altair and ezio so hard that any mention of them in the sequels will seem superfluous.

    I'm excited to play Ass3, but I'm more than happy to take a break from the franchise after rumbles that 3 isn't too different. I still have a few quests I want to complete in Rev, and see how they tweaked mp.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  18. #11798
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I honestly pegged it at circa '96-'97, when polygons were a thing and the world literally deformed at distances of 1000 feet (and Magic Carpet had a draw distance of your nose anyway). But then, this is what I was playing in 1999.
    Quite possible, especially if they were flitting between 2D and 3D. For the record, my 1999 also involved DKII. Along with Tiberium Sun and UT.

    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    Not a remake but Ragnar Tornquist is getting ready to hit the Kickstarter trail to get his Dreamfall sequel funded.
    I worry about that. I'll back it, but I worry they may ask too much. The problem I see is they could spend too much money and time on graphics, because Dreamfall was full 3D while looking pretty decent and I can't think of a single game where a sequel didn't look better than the game it's based on (please provide counter examples if you can think of any*). I can see nothing in my Steam list showing a graphical step-down between games, and so I worry at what Ragnar might try and do.

    *Examples of properly better, ie. more advanced graphics as opposed to just better art or stylings. Eg. I thought Sands of Time looked better than Warrior Within but the latter definitely had more fancy visual words going for it.

  19. #11799
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    finished the Leon story for RE6. Very enjoyable. The QTEs are a lot more generic (and less fun/immersive) than in even RE5 (so crap compared to RE4), but the set pieces and what not were definitely fun with a high HSQ. Not sure if I am going to Baby Wesker or WOrld's Worst Protagonist next.

    After I finish RE6 or EYE I'll probably sit down and try to do a proper run of the entire BG series. I know of Tutu, but are there any better ways to play BG1 with the BG2 engine? I'll probalby roll a mage (a better contrast with Sarevok and more fitting with Irenicus), so weapon availability isn't a huge issue (I dislike the Kenshi/Mage with a passion).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  20. #11800
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,250
    Closure never ceases to be intriguing. It's also creepy as fuck in a lot of places. Design-wise, it's one of the best single-mechanic puzzle platformer I've ever played. I've gotten as far as level 12 of world 3. Now it introduces reflector dishes. I just get burnt out on puzzling after a while, so I take long breaks from the game. Will probably do the remaining 12 levels when the mood takes me.

    Rage is really a lot of fun when I'm shooting men, especially mutants. The Wingstick is an absolutely fantastic weapon; I was afraid it'd be really overpowered, but having a chance to break on impact (whether with a mutant's neck or a doorframe) makes it perfectly balanced, which it wouldn't be if it was merely a single-use item or something that never breaks. Throw wingstick > decapitate guy > shotgun the next guy > catch wingstick is an awesome routine.

    Unfortunately, everything aside from shooting men is just dull. I wish the game would stick with what it's good at.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •