Page 596 of 1136 FirstFirst ... 964965465865945955965975986066466961096 ... LastLast
Results 11,901 to 11,920 of 22709
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    2-3 hours of The Secret World every day. In Kingsmouth it reminds me of Alan Wake, same brand of horror and humour. Love it. Can't wait to get to Transylvania. I hear there's a Lost Cosmonauts nod somewhere - that's my favourite conspiracy theory! I like the investigation missions, although the musical puzzle in one made no sense to me and I had to get a guide (I still can't figure out the logic).
    Hopefully I'll be able to keep playing solo for a very long time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    The best tutorial for Hinterland is playing as the undead liche thing and do nut found a town... Just walk away, and take your time building up. The older your town the more menacing the enemies that spawn. You'll probably never win, but at least you can get a taste for your enemies.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

This is a second time I had a migrant that bring ELEVEN FREAKING CHILDREN to my fortress when it's still in it's infancy. Not only those children never do any work, they get some free ride tickets like nothing! At least some of them haul stuff around but it's just a couple of them. Grrr...
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

I played a few games of Dungeons of Dredmor, but it's pretty frustrating for a beginner. For one, I have no way of knowing what skill trees make good combinations because their bonuses and requirements aren't listed anywhere. So I pick a crafting skill that seems useful but doesn't let me craft any items that boost my other skills. Of course, I have no idea what any potions do and whether drinking one will kill me. The Lutefisk God Shrine is a mystery. I encounter things like alchemy workbenches and smelting furnaces that I don't know how to use. And those are just the things on floor 1. I guess this is not the sort of game to be played without a wiki.

I'd just like to know one thing: How do I split stacks of items in my inventory?

What else am I playing? Minecraft. Built a treehouse in the jungle, crafted my first anvil, got a cat, and learned how maps work now. Also: haven't died yet!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Most roguelikes encourage experimentation - especially regarding potions and wands, the best way of finding out what they do is by using them. Of course, sometimes that will get you killed, but that's part of the fun. Same for the skills: after a few games you'll figure out what works well together and what doesn't.

Alchemy workbenches and furnaces are just decoration - all they mean is that those rooms have a higher chance of containing alchemy and smithing mats. I think you shift-click to split stacks, but I haven't played DoD in a while so I might be wrong.

And lutefisk for the lutefisk god. Always.
    Last edited by Faldrath; 19-01-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Also, the identify thief killer... No idea what to do with that.
    Internet walkthroughs. Otherwise it's mostly luck of ending in the right place.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    On Dredmor- the workbenches and furnaces about the place are ornamental. You craft using the appropriate inventory item. If you have that crafting skill you'll have the item. The exception of the anvil of Krong, whose function is obvious upon clicking.

Half the fun of the game is experimenting with the skill trees, so when you start out pick a bunch of skills that look awesome. I would try to include one obviously offensive skill (a weapon mastery, say, or Promethean Magic for a mage), one that looks defensive and one utility (Burglary's really nice, Blood Magic or Ley Walker for a mage). Fill up the other slots with awesome things (Communist Pirate Demonologist!). It's hard to go wrong levelling your offensive skill all the way up first.

If you really want to be sure what you're getting then just make a character that has the skills you are curious about. The skill screen will show you everything you can unlock in that skill.

The only thing I will say about the holy mysteries of lutefisk is it can be better to tithe large amounts at once rather than in bits and pieces.

Just get out there and experiment. You'll die, and you'll learn.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Exploring Prypiat and witnessing all kind of random stuff ai pulls,bloodsucker fighting two pigs haha,then dogs and shit like that. More games need good random AI! :D

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    I played a few games of Dungeons of Dredmor, but it's pretty frustrating for a beginner. For one, I have no way of knowing what skill trees make good combinations because their bonuses and requirements aren't listed anywhere.
    The skill trees in Dredmor give me a headache. It boggles my mind when I hear that it's a good introduction to roguelikes because frankly, there must be plenty of traditional RLs that are easier to get into than that. What really sets Dredmor apart from most RLs IMO is the combination of cute tileset, world, lore and humor.

Regardless, it's one of those games where checking out a wiki is a swell idea. I think all of them were listed in the "Going back to Dredmor" thread. IIRC recommendations were made about what skills to pick when you're starting out, some are not at all obvious.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

I'm replaying Tomb Raider: Anniversary, which for my money is still the best Tomb Raider game made so far. A solid focus on platforming with decent combat and a few puzzles. Great stuff. I'm in the Egypt levels now, and the difficulty is ramping up nicely, I like that the game keeps you on your toes.

When I first played the game I used mouse + keyboard, but on this second run I'm using a 360 pad for the sake of variety. It's interesting comparing the two control methods, seeing as they both have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm finding that the general combat and platforming are a bit more responsive using a pad, but I'm sorely missing my mouse when it comes to the trickier jumps, which require a bit more precision.

It doesn't help that my left analogue stick feels too 'quick' and the right one controlling the camera is far too sluggish; and there's no option to change the sensitivity of either. Sigh.

Re. Dredmor, this thread in the Gaslamp forums (and its links) looks like it could help with figuring out the skills, at least to the point of building a character that you can get a feel for the game with: http://community.gaslampgames.com/th...gy-guide.1185/.

I like Viking Wizardry for an early combat boost (but I'm sure a lot of people would consider it a waste of time), and if you pick a weapon skill you get a basic weapon of that type, which is handy. Burglary is something you can easily get used to having, but I'm not sure whether it's ever important or just convenient.

Edit: Dipped into King of Dragon Pass this morning, chosen because I didn't have a mouse in bed. Otherwise I've been messing about with Civ IV.
    Last edited by Pertusaria; 19-01-2013 at 05:33 PM.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Finished the Chris Campaign in RE6 (about 5 hours or so, which is much shorter than Leon's 7.5). Oh how I dislike Chris.

Although, it DOES make me want a Call of Duty with a proper (by CoD standards) SP campaign focused on the zombies.

Next up is Baby Wesker, then Ada

On the PC front: Still plodding away at EYE, and I decided to give Mark of the Ninja another chance. MotN is still gorgeous and has potential, but the missions still feel too "puzzley" and not "organic" enough for me.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Classic/Ironman Xcom keeps kicking my arse.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Internet walkthroughs. Otherwise it's mostly luck of ending in the right place.
    I was holding out hope of stumbling onto the answer while doing riddler tokens.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    The skill trees in Dredmor give me a headache. It boggles my mind when I hear that it's a good introduction to roguelikes because frankly, there must be plenty of traditional RLs that are easier to get into than that.
    As someone whose first Roguelike has been Dredmor, I have to say, it was a good introduction, but not because there's any ease of use (if anything, the bazillion damage types just makes heads spin), but because even through the difficulty and obscure mechanics, the humour and stupidity of the setting hook you in and manage to keep you playing long enough to finally get a grasp for the mechanics, whereas many other RLs just feel frustrating and you quickly put them down, never to return.

Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    On Dredmor- the workbenches and furnaces about the place are ornamental. You craft using the appropriate inventory item. If you have that crafting skill you'll have the item. The exception of the anvil of Krong, whose function is obvious upon clicking.

Half the fun of the game is experimenting with the skill trees, so when you start out pick a bunch of skills that look awesome. I would try to include one obviously offensive skill (a weapon mastery, say, or Promethean Magic for a mage), one that looks defensive and one utility (Burglary's really nice, Blood Magic or Ley Walker for a mage). Fill up the other slots with awesome things (Communist Pirate Demonologist!). It's hard to go wrong levelling your offensive skill all the way up first.

If you really want to be sure what you're getting then just make a character that has the skills you are curious about. The skill screen will show you everything you can unlock in that skill.
    It irks me that there are no straight-up damage spells. It initially led me to believe that spells were something separate from skills, since there were no active offensive skills in the first few builds I played. Even the basic Promethean Magic skill is limited to one of four directions and does area damage. So far, the only magic weapon I've found so far that does direct damage and nothing else is an Arcane Wand, dropped by a unique monster.

This time I went with a mage skilled in staves, golemancy, promethean, wandcraft, alchemy, mushrooms and emomancy. It went well, until I accidentally attacked my own summoned mustache golem when I tried to pick up an item it was standing on, and then it countered my attack and killed me. Bummer. But permadeath is disabled this time, so I can continue.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    It seems you are approaching this game in a VERY wrong manner, plus sounds like you aint getting much enjoyment from it as well.
    Yep, very little enjoyment, too many stupid deaths and technical problems. I stopped at San's Fortress and uninstalled.

15$ well spent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've taken charge of Akademisk Boldklub Gladsaxe, a team that apparently Niels Bohr played in goal for.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    a team that apparently Niels Bohr played in goal for.
    And now I want to play Football Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by laneford View Post
    Classic/Ironman Xcom keeps kicking my arse.
    I suggest getting the "we have ways" bonus as soon as you could with satalites so autopsies and interrogations are done instantly. Better when you have a foundry in your base. Also, get plasmas as fast as you can
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles