Page 598 of 1138 FirstFirst ... 984985485885965975985996006086486981098 ... LastLast
Results 11,941 to 11,960 of 22757
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    To be honest you don't need to worry too much about losing a country or two---all they're going to do is stop you getting that continent's bonus, and the only continent I'd be distressed to lose would be Africa. I can only see you losing to country-loss if you're getting repeatedly slaughtered in battles, and if that is happening then the strategic layer no longer has a chance to save you anyway.

It turns out that the game is actually ludicrously easy on classic with the Random Stats and Marathon second wave options enabled, unfortunately, so my time in that campaign has been pretty much wasted because there is really no conceivable way that I can lose now.
    Last edited by NathanH; 20-01-2013 at 10:04 PM.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Finished Dark Souls with my pure melee character, will probably give it another go once I've found an interesting build and/or have an epiphany.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Gon' play me some XCOM. I kissed South America goodbye ages ago, but things have gone pretty smoothly since then. I have nothing against South America whatsoever, but I like the idea of a game that made me decide to forgo the support of an entire continent because I had to put the viability of my project first. That this continent was south of the equator also made it somewhat true to life. A bit sad to see Brazil and Argentina consumed by a vortex of alien activity, but what can you do.

Network Hub
    Finally finished Dragon Age Origins. Fantastic title, though I found myself not caring about the characters as much as I did in Mass Effect (which was maybe half as long). Hopefully that can be improved upon in Inquisition.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    It's happened, Batman: African Caribbean ran out of content, I've not played the newgame+ or Harley Quinn's Revenge, but riddler tokens (mostly) and identity theft killer (with help of a guide) are done. I am still crap at the fighting and completely dependant on my oversized stealth gland.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I've been playing Isaac for 38 hours (and Wrath of the Lamb for 8) and I'm still finding new things. I'd like to think that every round is beatable, but every time I get Widow on the first floor I'm forced to reconsider.

Been playing Heroes of Might and Magic 3 with friends all weekend. It's been almost a decade since the last time I played, but the design in this game is so good that you can easily grasp how the game works - one of us who hadn't even played the game before managed to come in on 3rd place. I remember the game being much more unbalanced than it actually seemd to be, though Castle felt like an unstoppable force of nature as game progressed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I finished the Ghost Recon Future Soldier campaign (I was quite whelmed with it) so I'm free to play something else now. Naturally instead of playing any one of the other games I bought in the Christmas sale, I've gone back to Borderlands 2. I just finished my ninth playthrough today, now six hours shy of the big 300. I still have loads to do.

I do want to get back into Far Cry 3 but for some reason I just never seem to choose to play it when I have time. It's either the aforementioned, Battlefield 3 or Simraceway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Finished RE6. Ada's Campaign was even shorter than Jake's, but that might have to do with me knowing what I am doing by that point. For reference, I had about 21 hours of gameplay spread across 4 campaigns.

Overall: I liked it
    Leon's campaign captured the joys of RE4, although it felt a lot less atmospheric. But it also felt a lot more coherent, and Leon had one of the most entertaining end-game sequences in all of the RE series (and I have been playing since 1).
    Chris's campaign was garbage, but, well, Chris. At least he didn't punch any boulders this time.
    Jake's campaign was fun because it gave a really good insight into what the original RE3/4 (aka Devil May Cry) would have been if it had stayed in the RE-universe. And it felt like it would be the most fun in co-op since Sherry and Jake are both equal partners, rather than Leon and Chris who just have helper monkeys following them. And Jake had a damned satisfying end-game sequence. I suspect this is the campaign the devs wanted to make, but they realized people would be pissed if they couldn't be Leon, so everyone except Jill and Claire got a campaign instead, and Jake's was much more focused.
    Ada's campaign actually reminded me a lot of RE1 and RE2 in that you really had to avoid most combat (because of limited ammo AND no back-up) while being mostly puzzle-oriented. And it kept the fun from RE4 where you find out that the reason all of Leon's puzzles seem so stupid is because that is how they are set up after Ada runs through them. Of course, Ada also showed the worst of RE4/5 in that there were lots of overly elaborate QTEs and too many "Fight the awkward camera to get to the context-sensitive spot in time!" moments.

Hopefully more developers keep this style of SP campaign in mind. Rather than one big one, have multiple shorter ones that intersect. It lets them save on assets (pretty much every deco was reused in at least 2 of the campaigns) while providing an interesting way to weave the stories together. And it makes for some really fun co-op. Plus, I feel that this led to some of the strongest characterization.
    Leon is allowed to skimp on being a commando while they focus on him as a "badass normal" who is really just in this to try and help people.
    All the "I macho, I punch boulders and shoot thousands of rounds of ammo" gets shifted to Chris
    Jake and Sherry got a pretty interesting character-focused plot that didn't feel all that hamfisted. Normally when someone says crap like "You saved me", I gag, but it felt natural with Jake and Sherry. They showed the progression from "Yay... he is one dose of a virus away from being Wesker" to "Wow... he is a pretty interesting protagonist. I suppose that will have to suffice since he isn't allowed to be Wesker", and it worked surprisingly well. That is not something I thought Capcom had in them.
    And the ass-backwards "Why is this here?" puzzle crap was shifted to Ada, who at least lampshades it.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by laneford View Post
    Would you reccomend starting off in South America then? Or just satellite spamming there first?
    Nope. don't start there. I did that mistake once and ended up running out of funds fast. Best to start in Area 51 with a load of cash at you disposal and spam sats in SA at half price. I usually launch the satallites once a month there because some country from another continent gets jumpy for some reason.

Also, it's a bit safe that way. Try getting a couple of satallites up in a month in different places. That'll give you some leverage to spead out rather than just focusing on one place. You can ignore and lose your neighbouring countries and not lose your bonus, although, it's risky.
    Last edited by Voon; 21-01-2013 at 04:20 AM.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    I'm so addicted to You Don't KNow Jack. I'm already almost halfway through all the games.

Finished Batman: AC. By the end I really fell in love with the combat. Assassin's Creed could learn a thing or two from it. I'd even say it might be the best 3rd person hand to hand combat system ever in a video game. It really becomes fun once you start unlocking stun moves and the like.

Started Nethergate Resurrection. I love the historical setting, but the interface is the most archaic and annoying of any Spiderweb game on steam. Everything either needs like 4 mouse clicks or a keyboard command.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Bastion. Is lovely, excellent. Narration reminds me of Myth: The Fallen Lords in a sort of way. I know it isn't a cowboy game but it also makes me want/need more cowboy games on the PC.

Activated Node
    Been playing Airmech for a few months now and loving it. Great fast-paced Action RTS that's also free(!). It is a spiritual successor to a classic Sega Genesis game Herzog Zwei.

Just finished Mass Effect 2, with everyone surviving the suicide mission. Can't wait for a sale to buy the third game... D-:

Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    Finally finished Dragon Age Origins. Fantastic title, though I found myself not caring about the characters as much as I did in Mass Effect (which was maybe half as long). Hopefully that can be improved upon in Inquisition.
    Just out of curiosity, which characters did/didn't appeal to you? I really warmed up to Zevran and Shale towards the end. I also thought Wynn was quite brilliant, representing that rare beast of a strong, older female character, which is something sorely lacking from almost any other game i can think of (except maybe KOTOR 2, with Kreia?). Also, what choices did you make at the very end of the game? (may want to use spoiler tags for that one...).

Have been trying Dungeons of Dredmor yesterday for the first time, after getting it from a HumbleBundle some time ago. First time I made some steps and died from a trap after 3 minutes. Second time I died 5 minutes in, after a deth punched me to death. The third time I played for nearly 45 minutes. I was unstoppable, killing everything and almost completed the first floor. Then an Unfriedly AI decided to kill me.

So, I think this game is great fun! I can see me spending a lot more time with this. Just a short question. I only have the vanilla game and the free expansion. Is it recommended getting the other two DLCs in the beginning or should I get some more playtime with the base game?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Both expansions add plenty of more stuff, items, skill trees, etc. That being said, Diggle Gods adds 5 extra dungeon levels after the original 10, so it'll be a while before you see them. Wizardlands adds more immediate stuff.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qizarate View Post
    I also thought Wynn was quite brilliant,
    Yeah, I thought she was stuff and boring initially but it's quite clever how they let her gradually become a warmer character (her sly winding up of Alistair if you have your Warden have a relationship with him was rather funny).

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by qizarate View Post
    Just out of curiosity, which characters did/didn't appeal to you? I really warmed up to Zevran and Shale towards the end. I also thought Wynn was quite brilliant, representing that rare beast of a strong, older female character, which is something sorely lacking from almost any other game i can think of (except maybe KOTOR 2, with Kreia?). Also, what choices did you make at the very end of the game? (may want to use spoiler tags for that one...).
    SPOILERS AHEAD:

I'll admit that my disinterest in the characters is possibly due to my own stupidity. I never got Wynne as a companion; I attempted to placate the Templar before the boss in the Circle Tower by telling him that he had a point, at which point she got incredibly angry and turned on me, forcing me to kill her. Shale I never got due to the fact that I was told that she was DLC and, thus, never even attempted to find her (I later found out that I might have had the DLC the whole time, but whatever). Zevran I did find interesting when I talked to him, but then he turned on me in Denerim and I had to kill him too.

The only characters that actually liked me in any way were Sten (which is odd, since he tried to kill me when we reached Haven) and my dog. I think Leliana also liked me, mostly because I was good at giving her gifts (hint: she seems to like shiny things!). Admittedly some were interesting; I enjoyed Alistair and Oghren, and Morrigan had some very interesting stories behind her, but I never felt as connected to them as I did to, for example, Mordin in ME2.

As for the end of the game: I said no to Morrigan's "loophole", because I am not letting an evil witch have that kind of power. She left, which wasn't good since she was incredibly important to how I did combat. I supported Anora for the throne; Alistair didn't want it, so I figured why not. I killed Loghain, because the last time I had allowed a former enemy into my group it was Zevran, who later tried to kill me, and, since I was playing as a Dalish Elf, I felt it was kind of my duty to the alienage. At the final battle I took Alistair, my Warhound, and Sten with me, leaving Oghren to lead the charge on the gates. When we got to the roof I called in the Elves to fire arrows at the Archdemon while my dog handle the Balista towers and everyone else took on the darkspawn. At the end of it, I let Alistair kill the demon, mostly due to the fact that, well, he volunteered. It saddened me a bit, though, as he was probably my favourite character in the game.

As for other choices throughout the game: I supported Harrowmont in Ostaggar (Bhelen was kind of a douche to me), killed Branka and destroyed the Anvil, convinced Zathrian to lift the curse in the forest, and killed all the circle mades, since they were demons by that point.

And, back on topic, I'm trying to decide what game to play next. I think maybe I'll go for Just Cause 2 which I started but never finished.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    "I killed all my friends and sided with fascists but Morrigan was the evil one."

It's always interesting reason other people's justifications for their actions.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen