Page 610 of 1238 FirstFirst ... 1105105606006086096106116126206607101110 ... LastLast
Results 12,181 to 12,200 of 24750
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleekill View Post
    It's good it feels like Kojima's world still. I heard he wanted to make the game about Gray Fox but decided to just go with MGS5 and let this studio use Raiden for the game. I think snake was Badass because he was vulnerable and it was a challenge to survive. MGS1 and 3 will always be my favorites. I still need to finish 4, I don't have a ps3 so I play it at a friends house sometimes and have been slowly progressing. Like I said, I'm sure I'd enjoy playing the game but the gameplay alone isn't something that really grips me. I'd rather tactical stealth over a action/slash em up any day. And Raiden is one of my least favorite characters in the series so that doesn't really help.
    MGS4 went a long way toward making Raiden likeable, if only because he stopped being Snake.

2 was all about "What if the everyman became Solid Snake". 4 was Raiden finding his own path, that he continues along in Rising.

And I actually wish they had stuck with the middle concept, where this is a prequel to 4 and it is all about Raiden rescuing Sunny and various plot-essential corpses from 4.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

I haven't gotten to the part with Raiden yet. Seems like it'll be interesting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Vampire Bloodlines.

Quote Originally Posted by RPS regulars
    *Groan*
    Shudup. I'm trying the Plus Patch but thus far the changes seem to have been very minor. There's a police officer added in the tutorial that allows you to practise manipulation dialogue, a few more spooky musical cues in the famous Ocean House Hotel, and I saw the Kuei Kin watching me from an alley for a moment (although that might have been in the base game). Will keep my eyes peeled. Despite searching the Internet, it's been quite a chore finding out what the Plus Patch actually does.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleekill View Post
    It's good it feels like Kojima's world still.
    There are elements of Kojima's world, but it does feel different I'd say, but I think it mostly comes from the new cast of characters. They feel more like a traditional Japanese game rather than Kojima's style of writing, plus the area you have in the demo is incredibly bland. Overall the game is a lot of fun though, but I'm certainly glad it's an offshoot of the MGS series, rather than it's new direction.
    steam: sketch

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    The main thing I take away from both your and internetonsetadd's advice, however, is that there's something deeply wrong with my strategic management and tech path. This is not exactly a surprise, since this being my first play through I don't know what's important to get, and don't have a clear sense of how I should be pacing plot progression vs. "grinding" for resources/tech/etc.
    That's not necessarily the takeaway. I'm playing on normal, and while I let critical injuries stand, I'm not above reloading after losses I'm not happy with and testing things out knowing I can. I didn't intend to play that way, but I made a pretty stupid satellite mistake (didn't realize they took 20 days to build) that set me back early on, which lasted a couple months, so I figured I'd make this playthrough about learning the game.

I wound up delaying the base objective simply because other missions kept getting in the way, and I was focused on getting satellites in the sky. The delay probably let me amass funds, research, and treat missions as harvesting opportunities rather than problems. I'm not sure how the game decides to advance the enemies you face, but they get more difficult whether you're completing objectives or not, as far as I can tell. Still, it's possible they get even harder if you rush the plot.

For whatever reason, I seemed to go from encountering chrysalids to robotic enemies on terror missions pretty fast, so my advice probably isn't so good. I still prefer to move up quickly at the start of terror missions, then switch to leapfrogging, but with chrysalids on the map I wouldn't move anywhere without a network of coverage and plenty of run-and-guns in reserve--I use a mix of (advanced) rifles and shotguns for assaults. Two snipers ain't a bad idea either.

I suspect I'm approaching the end of the game, and I don't have a clear sense of that balance either. When I started seeing end-game objectives, I was surprised they happened so fast. Had I treated plot objectives as a priority, the way the game presents them, I imagine I'd be woefully overmatched by the end.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Despite searching the Internet, it's been quite a chore finding out what the Plus Patch actually does.
    Why search the Internet when the patch already comes with a comprehensive readme? Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines and look for a textfile called "vtmbup-readme". It lists every single aspect of the game that's changed by the unofficial patch. Beware of spoilers, obviously.

And wow, I hadn't realized Wesp was already up to 8.4. That guy works fast. The last version I used was 7.8. Might be time to play through the game again and see for myself how much has changed since then.
    Last edited by fiddlesticks; 30-01-2013 at 12:04 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    It's a boxed version actually, but thanks. I forgot about the guard dog and being able to give Lilly her stuff back. Little small stuff here and there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Put in a real concerted effort to complete Serious Sam 3 these last few days and I've been successful. I cannot stress just how much better the game is once you leave the city, apart from the last level there which picks up the pace a little bit and does have a very cool boss fight. Overall, it's a good game. There are a few issues I have with it, that I believe I've mentioned previously, but I'll restate the main one, along with a new one I encountered.

The first is weapon switching and firing priority. I'm fairly certain that weapon changes in SS FE and SE were basically instantaneous, so long as you weren't actually firing while pressing the key number/scrolling the mouse wheel. In 3, it seems to be that you can hit a key to change, but if you fire after pressing that key (very quickly after) you'll keep on firing the weapon you still are. I won't say this stopped me or held me up for long at any point, but there were a few moments where I found myself internally cursing at the game because I god damn switched the weapon and it wouldn't switch!! Argh. This goes from merely frustrating to actively working against you when you're trying to swap from an explosive weapon, such as the rocket launcher, to a shorter ranged weapon. I'm sure you can see where this is going.

The second issue is weapon usage or availability. I didn't mind that about 2/3 of the way through the campaign I lost all my weapons before having to collect them again. I'm used to this by now by SS, but at the same time I was a bit frustrated that certain weapons didn't seem to appear for some time, or were basically made redundant after your first use of them. Case in point, the sniper rifle. It's a secret weapon (it appears both before and after the inventory wipe, although I never found it after) and when you first get it, it has about 5 shots, with no available ammo that I could find for it, and once you move from where you find it, you're onto the boss fight that precedes the inventory wipe. A bit silly. Similarly goes for the laser gun, which is a secret weapon with very sparse ammo.

Funnily enough, they clearly noticed there was an issue with these two weapons in particular because I played through the DLC (very consistently excellent, with massive levels and a great mix of combat scenarios) and you get handed sniper ammo constantly, with laser ammo going from being "Is there any actually on this level?" to simply uncommon.

Anyhow, I think the game as a whole falls just behind Second Encounter overall, with its final boss fight falling just behind FE's. There is a certain amount of similarity and hell, in 3 you do get a jet pack which is obviously fantastic, but there's something about the scale and unexpectedness of FE's that slightly trumps it out. So, all round, I rate Serious Sam 3 a Brilliant, with its DLC being Excellent. Done.

So, that's 1 of my 12 game backlog down. Next up, The Witcher.