Page 616 of 1405 FirstFirst ... 1165165666066146156166176186266667161116 ... LastLast
Results 12,301 to 12,320 of 28084
  1. #12301
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,429
    We all do, Caddy. We all do.

  2. #12302
    Network Hub Pertusaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    that island off the coast
    Posts
    461
    Just played through Kentucky Route Zero (Act 1) for the first time. Wow.

    I'm not going to spoil anything, but (a) don't play with the sound off, unless you're deaf; and (b) I think it probably works best if you play it in as few sittings as possible, or over a short-ish time. One play-through took me a little over two hours, so it should be do-able.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

  3. #12303
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    392
    Okay, so I've come to the conclusion that Just Cause 2 isnt for me! Gorgeous game, love the grappling hook, but man do I just not enjoy playing it very much. That being said, I got 4 hours out of it and I'm pretty sure I bought it for like $2.50 on sale, so I guess I got my moneys worth.

    Anyway, I now consider that one to be off the backlog, which means that I'm on to the next game. Specifically, Assassins Creed. I really just want to get to the second one, but this one is decent enough for what it is, and I love walking around the cities.

  4. #12304
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    Okay, so I've come to the conclusion that Just Cause 2 isnt for me! Gorgeous game, love the grappling hook, but man do I just not enjoy playing it very much. That being said, I got 4 hours out of it and I'm pretty sure I bought it for like $2.50 on sale, so I guess I got my moneys worth.
    Just Cause 2 is a pure sandbox game. Turn the cheats up, mod the hell out of it and enjoy.

  5. #12305
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,313
    AC: Brotherhood is really kind of annoying. There's no improvement over AC2 to my mind and it seems to concentrate far more on the annoying as balls mission types, ie. those involving not being detected and those where you have to slowly follow someone, or even worse a combination of both.
    And sometimes the game doesn't even know what the mission parameters are. I just had one where I had to walk with people while dressed as a French soldier, killing guards at roadblocks along the way. Except sometimes the game would desync me if I killed the guards before the people reached them, while other times it would fail me if I didn't kill them in time. There was no consistancy and sometimes I'd fail for no reason at all. And that's really where the game falls down for me: there are too many times where the failure state is linked to some arbitrary condition. If the mission involves me being undetected then give me a chance to kill the wee prick who detected me before he can tell anyone, or change the mission to reflect my detection as other games would. Not this instafail shit. Anything but that.

  6. #12306
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    392
    Not much of a game, really, but I felt like posting about Press X To Die, a weird, kind of disturbing bullfighting game:

    http://joon.be/toy/pressx/

    Found it on Gameological, and I have to say that it does a great job with atmosphere. Its creepy and unsettling in the best way, and although the gameplay itself takes some getting used to (hint: only change stance once the bull enters slow-mo) I'd say that its worth it for the 5-ish minutes it takes to play and the fantastic soundtrack.

  7. #12307
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,440
    How the heck do you stab that bastard,i lift the sword then put it down and he drops it,then the bull hits me-.-

  8. #12308
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    392
    Yeah I had a lot of trouble with it too until I read a couple comments on another site. Basically, right when it goes into slow-mo, press space to change stance. If you do this correctly, even if you fail to hit the bull it wont hit you. Press the up arrow, then the down arrow whenever the bull overlaps with you, though don't wait too long because the time will speed back up to normal and you'll have lost your chance. Also note that you dont have to lift the sword all the way up, just a bit and then the down arrow should work.

  9. #12309
    Network Hub Rath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    472
    All this talk of Abrams directing a new Star Wars got me nostalgic for the original Knights Of The Old Republic. Unfortunately it looked bloody awful on my new monitor, so I sought out a widescreen fix, and after minimal effort in patching plus the addition of some texture mods and general improvements, it looks really nice running at 1920x1080.

    Essential purely cosmetic improvement mods I would recommend, all available at the games' FileFront page:

    Hi-Res Ebon Hawk
    A 2048x2048 resolution retexturing of the exterior of the Ebon Hawk. Quite nice, if a little too mosaic styled in parts. Still better than the original.

    Canderous Ordo clothing
    Gives Canderous Ordo some better clothing with a metallic Mandalorian symbol on the back of the waistcoat.

    Carth Onasi clothing
    I'm torn between two different ones here. The first is an Infiltrator suit for Carth that replaces the godawful orange flight jacket with a more muted one with some stat upgrades, while the second is a jet black outfit that might be a bit too extreme a change for some.

    Juhani clothing
    Some recolouring and added texture to what was a drab outfit.

    Republic Uniform mod
    Changes the orange and yellow Republic soldier uniforms to a far less awful looking dark red/dark grey version.

    Darth Malak retexture
    Vastly improves the look of both Malaks' head and armour, making him far more menacing in appearance. Before and after shot;

    Last edited by Rath; 02-02-2013 at 01:09 AM.

  10. #12310
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Capital of Scandinavia
    Posts
    1,286
    Deadlight's story really wasn't super awesome. It started of a bit mediocre and then ran off in the wrong direction. Acting sucked. I'm not saying that it's a bad game, though. It's nice to look at and features sometimes-challenging Limbo style platforming, which I like (Limbo is way better, though).

    Currently hesitant to resume Recettear, since I have five or six days to earn over 400,000 pix... I feel a surprisingly real sense of horror about it. It may be doable, but it's highly unlikely. What happens if I fail? Is it just "Game over. Goodbye!" or can I just pay some extra interest or something?

  11. #12311
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    KOTOR
    That actually looks pretty good. How is it in motion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Currently hesitant to resume Recettear, since I have five or six days to earn over 400,000 pix... I feel a surprisingly real sense of horror about it. It may be doable, but it's highly unlikely. What happens if I fail? Is it just "Game over. Goodbye!" or can I just pay some extra interest or something?
    I failed the first time at about the same amount. The game is nice though, and what happens is:
    you restart at day 1 with all your items, merchant level, fusion-unlocks and probably some other stuff I've forgotten. In other words, as you probably have a surplus of items that you were just unable to sell in time in your previous game, you start the next game not having to worry about the first few weeks as you'll have one or two pieces that can cover the amount owed by themselves. Also, I believe the mercenaries retain their level, although I can't remember if you need to 'recruit' them again before they will be available to dungeon crawl with.
    It's the sort of game that is forgiving and wants you to finish it, so every time will progress you more. Which is useful, seeing as the Young Girl is a skinflint whore of the first order and the Old Man is a cheapass motherfucker...
    Recettear made me weirdly angry at times.

  12. #12312
    Network Hub Rath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    That actually looks pretty good. How is it in motion?
    Other than the fact that it forces 800x600 cinematics to be blown up to whatever your selected widescreen resolution is, it's still damn fine looking despite the age of the game. At 1920x1080, those cinematics look jaggy as hell. There are HUD mods to go along with the widescreen patcher, which is a big help.

  13. #12313
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    4,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    It's the sort of game that is forgiving and wants you to finish it, so every time will progress you more. Which is useful, seeing as the Young Girl is a skinflint whore of the first order and the Old Man is a cheapass motherfucker...
    Recettear made me weirdly angry at times.
    The trick with that little <expletive deleted> girl is that she has no idea what anything she's selling is worth, so while you can't sell to her for a reasonable price, you can buy from her for next to nothing.

  14. #12314
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Capital of Scandinavia
    Posts
    1,286
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    I failed the first time at about the same amount. The game is nice though, and what happens is:
    you restart at day 1 with all your items, merchant level, fusion-unlocks and probably some other stuff I've forgotten. In other words, as you probably have a surplus of items that you were just unable to sell in time in your previous game, you start the next game not having to worry about the first few weeks as you'll have one or two pieces that can cover the amount owed by themselves. Also, I believe the mercenaries retain their level, although I can't remember if you need to 'recruit' them again before they will be available to dungeon crawl with.
    It's the sort of game that is forgiving and wants you to finish it, so every time will progress you more. Which is useful, seeing as the Young Girl is a skinflint whore of the first order and the Old Man is a cheapass motherfucker...
    Recettear made me weirdly angry at times.
    Oh, really? Thanks, that helped. Now I'll at least be able to sleep. So it's probably a bad idea to just empty the stock by selling low to the market then? It might be worth it if I'm just slightly off target, though.

    The old man I can handle, but the girl is a pain in the ass. I wish I could bar her from the store or ditch her in a dungeon.

    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    The trick with that little <expletive deleted> girl is that she has no idea what anything she's selling is worth, so while you can't sell to her for a reasonable price, you can buy from her for next to nothing.
    Really? I generally find her more difficult to buy from as well. Could be that I have way more established relationships with everyone else, I suppose.
    Last edited by Fanbuoy; 02-02-2013 at 01:22 AM.

  15. #12315
    Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Estados Unidos
    Posts
    656
    Finished XCOM. Something wonky/cheap happened two turns into the last encounter, so I reloaded the previous turn, repeated two of the things I had done before and the game was over. A bit anticlimactic.

  16. #12316
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    2,046
    Okay, this is a bit annoying about building rollercoasters. I'm not much of a Physics guy despite having an interest in it but what the hell does 'lateral Gs' mean? How does it even work in this?Because when I finished making one, sometimes the lateral Gs appear as red and I got something like Ultra-Extreme on the intensity rating.

    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    Finished XCOM.
    TELL ME YOUR SECRETS
    Last edited by Voon; 02-02-2013 at 03:55 AM.
    Art blog here.

    Doodles poodles sheboodles

    Watch me fail as Nobunaga

  17. #12317
    Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Estados Unidos
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    TELL ME YOUR SECRETS
    Playing on normal difficulty. Aside from that, mostly "savescumming," 3 assaults for most missions in the latter half of the game, and rare explosives usage to preserve all the artifacts. My damage per shot was a little over a third of that of the community average, probably because no explosives, but otherwise I beat most of the averages by a fair amount (thanks, hundreds of save files). For the first objective I was WAY behind the days-to-complete average, but for the second I was well ahead. That may have screwed up the balance in some way. The XCOM project was so well funded by the end, I'd like to think the commander did a little embezzling along the way.

    All in all, it was a good learning experience that doesn't leave me particularly proud. A new game on classic/ironman is probably in order.
    Last edited by internetonsetadd; 02-02-2013 at 05:02 AM.

  18. #12318
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    4,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Really? I generally find her more difficult to buy from as well. Could be that I have way more established relationships with everyone else, I suppose.
    Yup, tolerate selling to her "at cost" for awhile and you can absolutely skin her alive when she comes in with stuff to sell.

  19. #12319
    Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    All this talk of Abrams directing a new Star Wars got me nostalgic for the original Knights Of The Old Republic. Unfortunately it looked bloody awful on my new monitor, so I sought out a widescreen fix, and after minimal effort in patching plus the addition of some texture mods and general improvements, it looks really nice running at 1920x1080.

    I'm actually playing KOTOR for the first time in a decade (although I got sidetracked).

    I'd recommend the "Impossible" difficulty setting from the "restored content mod" some people are working on. Apparently it was originally in the game but got cut.

    It does make the first couple of worlds way harder, but after that the game is still too easy I think.

  20. #12320
    Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Zürich
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Okay, this is a bit annoying about building rollercoasters. I'm not much of a Physics guy despite having an interest in it but what the hell does 'lateral Gs' mean? How does it even work in this?Because when I finished making one, sometimes the lateral Gs appear as red and I got something like Ultra-Extreme on the intensity rating.
    Let's see what the Coaster Enthusiasts of Canada have to say on this topic:

    Quote Originally Posted by CEC
    Newton's laws contain the principle of inertia; that a moving body, if unaffected by any forces, will travel in a straight line. A coaster train is affected by forces along its run (the force of gravity, as well as the supporting force of the track), but if it is travelling along a straight-away, none of the forces will be directed towards either side. The riders, too, will not experience any forces to either side. On the other hand, if the train hits a curve, it will tend to want to go forward. The track has to exert a sideways force on the train to divert it from its path. The train, in turn, exerts a force on the riders. As they continue to try to go straight, they get pinned to the side of the car. Though they feel themselves being forced toward the outside of the curve (an effect commonly referred to as centrifugal force), the force that is exerted on them is actually towards the inside (centripetal force), because that is the direction in which they are turning. As with forces directed vertically, lateral forces can be measured in terms of Gs. A 1-G lateral force would be equivalent to your lying on your side.

    Several factors affect the strength of lateral G forces: the speed of the train, the tightness of the curve, and the amount of banking. The faster the train goes through the curve, the greater the force required to keep it on the track. Similarly, the tighter the curve, the more force is exerted on the train. For example, the train going through the helix section of the Kennywood Thunderbolt is moving quite fast, because it has just come off a substantial drop. This explains its legendary lateral Gs. On some coasters, the curve may also contain a drop. In this case, the train speeds up through the curve, and the G forces get stronger. The Riverview Bobs contained two dropping turns of this sort with little banking. Pictures show the riders pinned to the outside of the car, as one would expect.
    Long story short, lateral Gs are the forces that affect you when you're in motion and doing a turn. The faster you are and the tighter the turn, the stronger the G force. To keep them from becoming red in the game there are three general things you can do.


    1. Avoid curves after a long drop or at any point where the train has built up a lot of speed. Instead, use them whenever the train has lost most of its momentum, for example after it's gone up a hill again.
    2. Use the larger curves whenever possible. RCT has three possible sizes of curves and with some exceptions you should never use the smallest one.
    3. Always bank your curves. ALWAYS!


    Some coaster types can be tricky in that regard. The Wild Mouse Coaster and its relatives in particular are difficult to build as you can't bank their turns and small curves are actually part of their appeal. If you are having trouble with lateral Gs I'd just avoid this type of coaster altogether.

    Additionally, there are various sites on the Internet where you can download coaster tracks from other players and subsequently analyze what makes them work. If you're willing to expand this kind of effort, RCTgo is a good resource.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •