Page 636 of 1207 FirstFirst ... 1365365866266346356366376386466867361136 ... LastLast
Results 12,701 to 12,720 of 24135
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    I stopped playing Dragon Age when I ran into a mob with a wizard guy that blasted my dudes dead in no time, plus normal melee dudes and with no healer in team I was stuck. =/
    I stopped playing at what I think was the first dragon. I remember being in a temple of some sort and entering a big room and out came a dragon. Was a while ago though. Anyone know how far I actually got?

And I like Dishonored too Drayk, but one thing I really hate is if your spotted you have no choice but to go lethal, as I don't want to keep reloading the game. You can hide sure but the AI is so bad that they stop looking for you after 5 seconds and return to normal as though nothing happened, so it feels almost like your exploiting it. At least with something like Human Revolution you could knock out enemies (yes I know lots of people hated the close combat in that game but I actually liked it)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    I stopped playing at what I think was the first dragon. I remember being in a temple of some sort and entering a big room and out came a dragon. Was a while ago though. Anyone know how far I actually got?

And I like Dishonored too Drayk, but one thing I really hate is if your spotted you have no choice but to go lethal, as I don't want to keep reloading the game. You can hide sure but the AI is so bad that they stop looking for you after 5 seconds and return to normal as though nothing happened, so it feels almost like your exploiting it. At least with something like Human Revolution you could knock out enemies (yes I know lots of people hated the close combat in that game but I actually liked it)
    The close combat in DXHR is wonderful. anything more than the decision of lethal and non-lethal during close combat would have diverted from the sneaky sneaking. Much worse than the AI-amnesia in Dishonored is the fact that even though they forget, once you're discovered you can't get the ghost bonus during mission stats.

There's really no telling how far you got in Dragon Age, as you're completely free to play the parts of the main storyline in any order you like. But once you're free to roam the open world, that's basically it. after you've worked through what you see there, it's basically the endgame. But that still takes hours.

I just started playing DA:O again, but it's just so goddamn grindy, and apart from some dark bits like social commentary in the elves and dwarves subplots and an at least somewhat interesting approach to magic, it has the blandest fantasy setting i can imagine.

"Dishonored is the fact that even though they forget, once you're discovered you can't get the ghost bonus during mission stats."
    yeah it's anoying.

Dishonored too Drayk, but one thing I really hate is if your spotted you have no choice but to go lethal, as I don't want to keep reloading the game. You can hide sure but the AI is so bad that they stop looking for you after 5 seconds and return to normal as though nothing happened, so it feels almost like your exploiting it. At least with something like Human Revolution you could knock out enemies (yes I know lots of people hated the close combat in that game but I actually liked it)
    So far, i can manage with instant combat poison darts if i don't want to go lethal. Not sure I can still do that later.

I really liked DXHR . I ghosted it, in pacifist on the highest difficulty (which isn't a problem since you avoid direct conflict :P)

Completely off topic but in regards to Steam, how do I make a non-steam game launch through Steam by running it from the desktop shortcut. So basically i've added the non-steam game to my library, but would rather launch it from the desktop shortcut, as i'll always forget to go through Steam to load it up and want to be able to take screenshots with f12.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Just right-click the game in question in the "Library" view and select "Create Desktop Shortcut". Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    Just right-click the game in question in the "Library" view and select "Create Desktop Shortcut". Simple as that.
    Boy do I feel stupid.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Played a bit of Wake from the current indie royale. It's discordant shaky cam and and rising water, it's appropriately drowny. I need to play it with a controller though, the default keyboard controls were giving me 'the claw'.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    JohnD, I'm pretty sure you made it about halfway through the main questline. If you're where I think you are (and it seems to me that you're at that temple trying to get the Ashes of Andraste) then you would've had to have done Arl Eamon's quest, probably gone to the Circle of Magi, and spent some time in Denerim. So, about halfway?

I would put Inquisitor in the same category as games such as EYE or Precursors (and subsequently the Boiling Points). Some good ideas don't make up for the fact that the core gameplay is just bad. This is not "the combat in KotoR is rubbish" stuff, this is Gish level of fundamental things not working. Inquisitor is not a fun game. Despite them selling it as old school RPG and roughly ten years of development (or so I heard) the developers sadly do not know much about how a good one looks like.
    TomjX mentioned Avadon but comparing it to Inquisitor seems almost unfair. Spiderweb games are how you do old school RPGs properly.

So yeah, Inquisitor really made me angry. Usually I just uninstall games I dislike and even then mostly after I played through them. It's such a wasted opportunity and it's hard to not feel like somebody maliciously turned an okay game into this garbage.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    I would put Inquisitor in the same category as games such as EYE or Precursors (and subsequently the Boiling Points). Some good ideas don't make up for the fact that the core gameplay is just bad. This is not "the combat in KotoR is rubbish" stuff, this is Gish level of fundamental things not working. Inquisitor is not a fun game. Despite them selling it as old school RPG and roughly ten years of development (or so I heard) the developers sadly do not know much about how a good one looks like.
    TomjX mentioned Avadon but comparing it to Inquisitor seems almost unfair. Spiderweb games are how you do old school RPGs properly.

So yeah, Inquisitor really made me angry. Usually I just uninstall games I dislike and even then mostly after I played through them. It's such a wasted opportunity and it's hard to not feel like somebody maliciously turned an okay game into this garbage.
    Hey, EYE is pretty fun. It is definitely flawed, but more in the "So... this only appeals to people who like Deus Ex AND Painkiller?" as opposed to Inquisitor's "So... I need to spend every single unit of currency on potions to stand a chance?"
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Boiling point gets too much crap, it was genuinely fun as long as you saved regularly and abandoned the main quest.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    I've not played much of Inquisitor (as oppose to =][= nquisitor, which is great fun) so i'm not comparing it to Avadon per say, its mearly lined up in 'my topdown rpg' backlog along with ToEE, Cthulu saves the world and Torchlight 2.

Saying that out of them all its the one i'm most looking foward too trying. It really seems to be a Marmite game, people either hate it all, or hate the mechanics and love the writing. What you're saying is interesting though, it'd be a real shame if it was downright impossible to actually play (alot like lionheart once you left the city, as you refered too).

Network Hub
    I've been introducing myself to Geralt the Witcher in the first game. Good stuff, but I do find it annoying that the map will tell you the person you need to see next for a particular mission is at a spot on the map but when you actually go there, he's not there because it's the wrong time of the day and there isn't a campfire nearby to meditate/rest until he is there. And the game doesn't give you any indication of when is the right time to go. So it's the conundrum of "we as gamers like to having living breathing worlds with believable NPCs" but when the schedules of those NPCs in the living, breathing world get in the way of me having fun, I don't like it anymore.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kstress71 View Post
    I've been introducing myself to Geralt the Witcher in the first game. Good stuff, but I do find it annoying that the map will tell you the person you need to see next for a particular mission is at a spot on the map but when you actually go there, he's not there because it's the wrong time of the day and there isn't a campfire nearby to meditate/rest until he is there. And the game doesn't give you any indication of when is the right time to go. So it's the conundrum of "we as gamers like to having living breathing worlds with believable NPCs" but when the schedules of those NPCs in the living, breathing world get in the way of me having fun, I don't like it anymore.
    Gamers must have a hard time coping with life.

"I'll just drop by his office at 2AM after stacking my CHA buff at the local pub. Then I'll be brave enough to demand the wage increase I deserve...

...what the-- all the doors are locked! Time to level lockpicking...

What? WHY IS HE NOT HERE? He was here last afternoon! Man, I guess I'll just sit here and rummage through his desk drawers until he arrives. Good thing I brought these extra beers to keep my buff renewed..."
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Gamers must have a hard time coping with life.

"I'll just drop by his office at 2AM after stacking my CHA buff at the local pub. Then I'll be brave enough to demand the wage increase I deserve...

...what the-- all the doors are locked! Time to level lockpicking...

What? WHY IS HE NOT HERE? He was here last afternoon! Man, I guess I'll just sit here and rummage through his desk drawers until he arrives. Good thing I brought these extra beers to keep my buff renewed..."
    Yeah, games have trained us to abhorr common sense when playing.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Yeah, games have trained us to abhorr common sense when playing.
    "When playing," yeah sure.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Activated Node
    I finished Dishonored, which has been my go-to game for the past couple months. It's had enough praise already, so I'll just say that I enjoyed it.

Next on my list is Witcher 2, which I picked up in the winter sales. I recall enjoying the first game for a while, then getting distracted by another game when I reached some city of sorts. Everyone seems to like this one better so hopefully I'll stick with it until the end.

Also mooching around in The Cave in idle moments. Bizarre mix of genres right there.

Scribblenauts Unlimited should unlock from it's stupid-#nooceans-state right about... five minutes ago? Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by kstress71 View Post
    when the schedules of those NPCs in the living, breathing world get in the way of me having fun, I don't like it anymore.
    That's not the real problem. The lack of fast travel is (and no, teleportation portals in later stages don't even start to make up for that), otherwise you would just zap back to a a sleep point, then zap again to wherever you need to go.

If the game had a timer to tell me how long I spent staring at Gerry's back running around, instead of actually doing something of interest, I suspect it would say more than half of the total time.

Yes the world is so very pretty (I think its design and architecture are probably the part I like the most), but the game is so fucking long and choke full of quests and sidequests that make you go back and forth, back and forth, back and forth again... not to mention the constant respawning of 1 XP monsters (and yes there are amulets that try to fix that problem, but they really don't work well)

It makes you ...grind miles. They should give out discounts on plane tickets for that.

100%-ed MotN (and I have a feeling I could go back to play for score until a new game wins my heart) and begun ISTP: unimpressed so far.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    Just started Dishonored.

I am enjoying it, but less than I expected. I love the setting and the blink power is really a nice touch, but it doesn't draw me in as much as I would like too.

Maybe i am not paying it right. i was going for a pacifist walktrough but it means reloading a lot and I ended the first contract with 2 dead guys and I am pretty sure i didn't kill anyone...

So now I am thinking, maybe i should play the game without reloading, trying to ghost it but dealing with failures.

Any thoughts ?
    You're playing it the least-fun way. By all means stealth until things go wrong, then improvise. Ghost/pacifist is a chore, and you'll miss out on a lot of interesting and creative gameplay. Complete the game once before you try to perfect it.

If the 2 kills were in the initial prison escape mission, they may be the guards by the door you have to plant explosives on. They can be knocked out and hidden safely I think.