Page 641 of 1258 FirstFirst ... 1415415916316396406416426436516917411141 ... LastLast
Results 12,801 to 12,820 of 25146
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Tell me your secrets!?

I am stuck on Ornstein and Smough on my first play through and am so close to giving up on the game even though I love every second of it. I am trying to play the whole game solo but am considering co-oping this boss as I can't take two at once. I don't care about NG+ so easiest way possible would be nice.
    If you have no plans to NG+ on that character, just kill Ornstein first so you can fight Super Smough. He is MUCH easier. You want to fight Super Ornstein for a char who plans to NG+ so that you can get both souls (and the ring) much more easily.

Beyond that, mage is a LOT easier for that fight due to range. I still can't (consistently) solo them in melee, and I have been playing since it was released on the PS3 :p. With a mage, you just have to dodge and fire off a quick spell every so often (I like greater soul arrow since it has a decent amount of damage and very little frozen time). With a melee, you have to get up close and find the perfect opening. All I really had to do was dodge his attacks (using pillars to stop his charges) and either prepping a soulmass or firing a soul arrow. I only used my melee weapon during the first phase though as speed and mobility are the key to surviving the 2on1.

That being said: Once you have dropped one of them, the fight gets a lot easier. It is just a really hellish boss because getting to that point is difficult and you'll probably spend a death or two learning patterns.

But don't feel bad. Like I said, I have been playing since PS3 launch and I still use the following policy:
    2-3 tries solo
    One try Solaire
    Give up and grab someone at the bonfire

But a few general tips:
    Prepare for the fight. It is the hardest one in the game (except maybe Four Kings on an NG+). I suggest having either a fire or magic weapon as you probably won't have high enough stats to make them a lesser choice and you won't really have enough time to keep recharging with an enchant (and the fight is really long so you'll probably run out of charges). For magic go see the smith in New Londo ruins, for fire go see the smith in the Catacombs.
    If you don't mind a bit of grinding, you can max out anything with twinkling and get everything else up to +10/+(whatever armor maxes out at before you need chunks). I don't really see a point to do that with most of your crap, but I do like maxing out my shield for the added stability. But if you are paranoid, feel free to max out everything.
    Keep in mind that boss soul weapons are a decent choice for this fight. You can easily get the 10 demon titanite you need to +5 them. I've used Quelaag's Furysword (fire) in the past, and my current mage was rocking the moonlight butterfly horn (magic). Not the best weapons in the game, but they are generally only really useful until the end of the first NG (and not even that if you do the DLC :p), so you might as well use them now. You can always do Lost Izalith first to get the respawning titanite demon if you want to use multiple boss soul weapons.
    Take your time. The fastest way to die against those two assclowns is to try and hurry the fight up. This will probably be the longest fight in the entire game, so just stay relaxed and watch for their tells.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion_wins View Post
    I just can't stop playing Borderlands 2. I've played it all, but I still can't stop. It's a good thing I don't have any friends or I'd be in serious trouble as co-op is no doubt far more satisfying. I've also been revisiting the Broken Sword series - a fine way to wind down.
    ha! we're 2 bars away from level 50, and still going! you should join us to tackle some of the "invincible" boss fights (steam Tomxj).

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    My katana-y ninja-type Dark Souls playthrough is on hold because System Shock 2. Thanks to game-crashing bugs early on when I had it years ago, I never got past the crew's quarters. Last night I encountered a midwife for the first time.

*_*
    steam

Finished Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet. For the most part, I liked it. The artstyle is really cool and the controls are spot on which makes roaming across the levels a pleasure in itself, and the puzzling has many little clever moments. There are also a few frustrating ones, mainly boss battles: I don't know who thought repeating the same sequence 3 times in a row was a cool gameplay idea. The concept is maybe a little underdeveloped, but it doesn't overstay its welcome. And BTW I'm giving away a free copy of this game, check the link in my sig.

Played a fair bit of Eversion = mindfcuk, the combination of the Mario-like world and precision platforming really bugged me for the first 4 levels, then I got into the groove and started really enjoying it. 3 achievements to go.

Also played about two thirds of Offspring Fling - it's a bit of a gaming snack. Neat concept with an overly cute execution, a gentle difficulty curve with enough twists to keep things interesting. I'm only perplexed by the 'gummy' feeling of the controls, seeing as part of the game is based on striving for the best time. As a result, I just caring about gold flowers early on, there doesn't seem to be a problem unlocking levels on silver flowers alone, after all.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    If you have no plans to NG+ on that character, just kill Ornstein first so you can fight Super Smough. He is MUCH easier. You want to fight Super Ornstein for a char who plans to NG+ so that you can get both souls (and the ring) much more easily.

Beyond that, mage is a LOT easier for that fight due to range. I still can't (consistently) solo them in melee, and I have been playing since it was released on the PS3 :p. With a mage, you just have to dodge and fire off a quick spell every so often (I like greater soul arrow since it has a decent amount of damage and very little frozen time). With a melee, you have to get up close and find the perfect opening. All I really had to do was dodge his attacks (using pillars to stop his charges) and either prepping a soulmass or firing a soul arrow. I only used my melee weapon during the first phase though as speed and mobility are the key to surviving the 2on1.

That being said: Once you have dropped one of them, the fight gets a lot easier. It is just a really hellish boss because getting to that point is difficult and you'll probably spend a death or two learning patterns.

But don't feel bad. Like I said, I have been playing since PS3 launch and I still use the following policy:
    2-3 tries solo
    One try Solaire
    Give up and grab someone at the bonfire

But a few general tips:
    Prepare for the fight. It is the hardest one in the game (except maybe Four Kings on an NG+). I suggest having either a fire or magic weapon as you probably won't have high enough stats to make them a lesser choice and you won't really have enough time to keep recharging with an enchant (and the fight is really long so you'll probably run out of charges). For magic go see the smith in New Londo ruins, for fire go see the smith in the Catacombs.
    If you don't mind a bit of grinding, you can max out anything with twinkling and get everything else up to +10/+(whatever armor maxes out at before you need chunks). I don't really see a point to do that with most of your crap, but I do like maxing out my shield for the added stability. But if you are paranoid, feel free to max out everything.
    Keep in mind that boss soul weapons are a decent choice for this fight. You can easily get the 10 demon titanite you need to +5 them. I've used Quelaag's Furysword (fire) in the past, and my current mage was rocking the moonlight butterfly horn (magic). Not the best weapons in the game, but they are generally only really useful until the end of the first NG (and not even that if you do the DLC :p), so you might as well use them now. You can always do Lost Izalith first to get the respawning titanite demon if you want to use multiple boss soul weapons.
    Take your time. The fastest way to die against those two assclowns is to try and hurry the fight up. This will probably be the longest fight in the entire game, so just stay relaxed and watch for their tells.
    Thanks Gundato, that’s really useful information.

However, hearing other people beating the boss or watching Youtube videos makes it look really simple and I fear that I’ve missed out on some important locations that would have helped me massively. I am a pyromancer who is in the mid 40’s in regards to soul level. Most of my points have been put into dexterity which is at 30 whilst the others aren’t past 15 with the exception of vitality (19) and strength (16).

My main problem seems to be with the weapons. I have recently upgraded my Falchion to +10 with success so I can upgrade it to Quelaag’s Furysword, which is a awesome weapon but I could only upgrade it to +2 as I didn’t have a lot of demon titanite slabs, which doesn’t seem like it should be enough. Anywhere around Anor Londo I can find some more?

I also seem to have some sort of bug in my game. I really want to upgrade my Longbow and maybe my Uchigatana but they both seem to go up to +5 and have now disappeared from my upgrade list. Not even greyed out as what normally happens when I don’t have the resources, just disappeared. And I’m sure I don’t have them in my bottomless box as I use my Longbow frequently. I have plenty of titanite slabs so I really think this is a bug.

Also, is it worth upgrading shields/armour? I haven’t bothered at all really as I have been switching my armour and shield around frequently. However, I think I have come across some armour I like so might throw some souls at it if it makes a noticeable difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Thanks Gundato, that’s really useful information.

However, hearing other people beating the boss or watching Youtube videos makes it look really simple and I fear that I’ve missed out on some important locations that would have helped me massively. I am a pyromancer who is in the mid 40’s in regards to soul level. Most of my points have been put into dexterity which is at 30 whilst the others aren’t past 15 with the exception of vitality (19) and strength (16).

My main problem seems to be with the weapons. I have recently upgraded my Falchion to +10 with success so I can upgrade it to Quelaag’s Furysword, which is a awesome weapon but I could only upgrade it to +2 as I didn’t have a lot of demon titanite slabs, which doesn’t seem like it should be enough. Anywhere around Anor Londo I can find some more?
    A few chests contain demon titanite in Anor Londo, but your best bet is to hunt the Titanite Demons. The very bottom of Sen's Fortress (the tar pit) contains a few.

I also seem to have some sort of bug in my game. I really want to upgrade my Longbow and maybe my Uchigatana but they both seem to go up to +5 and have now disappeared from my upgrade list. Not even greyed out as what normally happens when I don’t have the resources, just disappeared. And I’m sure I don’t have them in my bottomless box as I use my Longbow frequently. I have plenty of titanite slabs so I really think this is a bug.
    Giant Blacksmith can't upgrade from +5 to +6, only Andre (Undead Parish) can do that. So go on back, talk to Andre to ascend, then continue

Also, is it worth upgrading shields/armour? I haven’t bothered at all really as I have been switching my armour and shield around frequently. However, I think I have come across some armour I like so might throw some souls at it if it makes a noticeable difference?
    Armor has diminishing returns and you won't notice a huge difference until late game. I always upgrade, but only after I am done with my current weapons. But the shield should be one of your first upgrades as you'll increase stability. That increases the amount of punishment you can block. The big stat for armor is poise, and I don't think that increases through upgrading.

If you have the titanite and don't need it for other stuff, upgrade armor. It is also a good way to use up souls once you are done leveling for a while. But you'll be changing your armor frequently enough that it isn't a huge deal to max out everything.
    Last edited by gundato; 18-02-2013 at 05:30 PM.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    If you're worried about running out of souls, I would recommend farming the Phalanx in the Painted World (assuming you've done it). You can get 7k+ souls in less than a minute. Really useful for weapon upgrades. You might actually be better off making your weapon +15 or lightening rather than going Quelaags route, once you reach 40 Dex +15 is easily better.
    steam: sketch

Although, lightning may be problematic for O&S. I think Ornstein and both supers have lightning resistance?

A few chests contain demon titanite in Anor Londo, but your best bet is to hunt the Titanite Demons. The very bottom of Sen's Fortress (the tar pit) contains a few.
    I take it your talking about the Titanite Demons below the swinging pendulum bridges? I had one look down there, saw at least 3, and made a promise I would stay the hell out of going in there. I only managed to kill the one by Andre by cheesing it and rolling side to side dodging it's lightning and shooting a coupe of arrows after every roll. It took ages but any close combat would get me killed almost instantly. I can imagine taking on 3 at once would be just as annoying as taking on O&S.

I also didn't actually find a entrance to that pit, can I get in without jumping off the bridge as that looks like it would hurt.

Giant Blacksmith can't upgrade from +5 to +6, only Andre (Undead Parish) can do that. So go on back, talk to Andre to ascend, then continue
    Is that for certain? I remember trying to upgrade at least my longbow at Andre before going into Sen's Fortress and had the same problem with it not appearing in the upgrade menu. Not even greyed out. I've also had no problem upgrading my Falchion all the way to +10 on my own at bonfires with no help from a blacksmith as well.

Armor has diminishing returns and you won't notice a huge difference until late game. I always upgrade, but only after I am done with my current weapons. But the shield should be one of your first upgrades as you'll increase stability. That increases the amount of punishment you can block. The big stat for armor is poise, and I don't think that increases through upgrading.

If you have the titanite and don't need it for other stuff, upgrade armor. It is also a good way to use up souls once you are done leveling for a while. But you'll be changing your armor frequently enough that it isn't a huge deal to max out everything.
    Might leave that for now then. I haven't really decided on a shield I like, although I am partial to the Spider Shield, I am having to use the Silver Knight Shield against O&S and might stick to that if I can kill these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    If you're worried about running out of souls, I would recommend farming the Phalanx in the Painted World (assuming you've done it). You can get 7k+ souls in less than a minute. Really useful for weapon upgrades.
    I haven't actually been anywhere for a proper exploration (apart from a brief detour to Ash Lake) apart from where the main quest has taken me. So I haven't done Return to the Asylum, Painted World, any DLC or even New Londo Ruins. Souls arn't really a problem for me though, more the upgrade materials I can't seem to find!
    Last edited by Skull; 18-02-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Although, lightning may be problematic for O&S. I think Ornstein and both supers have lightning resistance?
    I think you're right. I actually did it with a lightening Uchi. It's doable, but definitely hold off until afterward.

Skull, I recommend doing New Londo Ruins, it's great for farming Titanite Chunks which you need to get to +14 and you'll probably get the odd slab too. Get the Painted World done too, it's beautiful and not too tough.
    steam: sketch

Yeah, Painted World, in terms of level design, is probably the best place in the entire game. One bonfire with three major sections (with a fourth bonus area). And, due to shortcuts, it never has the "God damn it, I have to redo everything" feeling that Demon had. No wasted space, and it never feels unnatural. Some of the best level design in the past decade or so.

Also has a boss that will make you feel like a horrible person if you are a dick.

I'm totally biased when talking about System Shock 2, because I love it to bits, but having not played it for a couple of years I'm finding some interesting comparisons to some modern games I've been playing.

The first thing that's hit me is how fragile your character is, even on normal difficulty. Getting hit in the face with a lead pipe in SS2 hurts, it takes a big chunk of your health. You're constantly taking some sort of damage, so it makes every little bit of health you can find that much more appreciable.

The fragility of your character is offset by the power you can wield when you use your skills and weapons effectively. One-shotting an enemy with a carefully selected weapon/skill feels fantastic; a stark contrast to the 'bullet sponge' enemies that populate so many modern games.

SS2 is also great at making you feel vulnerable (which is where part of the scariness factor comes in), and not just because you're low on health most of the time. One huge contributor to this is the fact that the game doesn't pause when you bring up your inventory menu. If you stop in the middle of a corridor to mess around with your inventory, you run the risk of having an enemy sneak up on you, and then panic as you try to get a weapon ready in time.

I think this is brilliant for immersion, because you are never artificially taken away from your experience, you're always there. The game forces you to seek out 'safe spots', off the beaten track where you can look at your inventory in relative peace. These moments are just as important as the scary ones.

Another factor of vulnerability are the respawning enemies. On paper, respawning enemies sounds like a bad idea, but I think they totally work in SS2. The reason is because the respawn rate is just right; it's low enough to not be annoying, but high enough to keep you on your toes at all times. Paranoia sets in when you're backtracking to chemical storerooms later in the game, because you know that an area you cleared before may not be anymore.

The main draw for me in SS2 though, after all these years, is still the atmosphere. Sure the graphics are dated, but the sound design goes a long way towards making up for that. The Von Braun feels like a semi-derilict spaceship. There's a constant bombardment of ambient noise, like computers humming and engines rumbling or the creepy interludes from the Many. Even the absence of noise can be significant, since you often feel 'safer' in places where there is a lot of ambient noise (which is amazing psychology). The silence when exploring the cargo bays on the engineering deck can be downright terrifying.

Man, I love this game.

I also finished Darksiders, which was thoroughly enjoyable. There's not many games which have a satisfying ending but I can add Darksiders to that list. I'll be picking the sequel up for sure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Finished Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet. For the most part, I liked it. The artstyle is really cool and the controls are spot on which makes roaming across the levels a pleasure in itself, and the puzzling has many little clever moments. There are also a few frustrating ones, mainly boss battles: I don't know who thought repeating the same sequence 3 times in a row was a cool gameplay idea. The concept is maybe a little underdeveloped, but it doesn't overstay its welcome. And BTW I'm giving away a free copy of this game, check the link in my sig.

Played a fair bit of Eversion = mindfcuk, the combination of the Mario-like world and precision platforming really bugged me for the first 4 levels, then I got into the groove and started really enjoying it. 3 achievements to go.

Also played about two thirds of Offspring Fling - it's a bit of a gaming snack. Neat concept with an overly cute execution, a gentle difficulty curve with enough twists to keep things interesting. I'm only perplexed by the 'gummy' feeling of the controls, seeing as part of the game is based on striving for the best time. As a result, I just caring about gold flowers early on, there doesn't seem to be a problem unlocking levels on silver flowers alone, after all.
    I felt the same way about Eversion. I though Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet was beautiful, but not all that deep or hard. I never got into Offspring fling or Snapshot. They just seemed kinda like like run of the mill kongregate games to me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    I also finished Darksiders, which was thoroughly enjoyable. There's not many games which have a satisfying ending but I can add Darksiders to that list. I'll be picking the sequel up for sure.
    Hmmm. What are you looking for in DS2? Are you looking for a satisfying conclusion to the first's ending? If yes, DS2 does not deliver that in any means whatsoever. If you're looking for a glimpse into a completely different part of the DS universe, with a character that plays differently, interested in loot in games and don't mind a story that doesn't really go anywhere, by all means get DS2. This isn't to say that DS2 is a bad game, not by any stretch of the imagination, but I feel like if/when you do get the sequel, you severely temper your expectations. I awaited it with baited breath, having completed DS1 when it first came out on consoles and was right there with your thoughts on it. DS2 was a disappointment. Mechanically superior in some places (worse in others) but as a completely entity, I don't think it was as good as the first. Also, I hope you like the Rule of Three.

Anyhow, got back into The Witcher and whilst I thought it had beaten me at first, I've persisted. I took a break right after the prologue for about a week and couldn't get back into it easily, but since then I've been playing it fairly regularly. Cleared chapter 1 and, part-way through chapter 2, am about to go and investigate a swamp. While I'm getting increasingly into it, finding the combat a bit weird but otherwise enjoyable when everything works, I do have a few issues with the game.

Issue the first: Combat animation priority. I get that the combat is supposed to be in-depth, which I ultimately don't have a flaw with, but it's really painful when you are trying to switch weapon and you have to wait for the animation of your currently held one to be sheathed and replaced with your next choice. This becomes super painful if you accidentally pick the wrong weapon. I can see why they did it, but the game is quite slow anyhow and I feel like this is just another thing. It'd be like if I wrote this paragraph using ellipses every few words; perfectly readable, but it gets annoying.

Issue 2: The game randomly decides to throw me into combat from a cut-scene with a fade-in from black. By the time I have drawn my sword, I have on occasions died, or taken an unfair amount of damage. I don't know what the deal with this is, but it's really quite silly!

No. 3: Made-up and foreign names and oh god who's who any more and why am I wanting to talk to them?! Maybe this is my lack of concentration, but I feel like I'm missing a thread based on names and arrrgh.

Thought fourth - I'm not trying to have sex with you, I just want to talk to you.

Consideration the 5th, the game really does just throw you into the deep end. Again, it's not necessarily a bad thing at times (case in point: the universe building is pretty good!) but I feel like I should've read the books to know what's going on before playing so I have a better idea of what's going on. At least that way, I wouldn't have to split concentration away from the depth of the game itself.