Page 651 of 1136 FirstFirst ... 151551601641649650651652653661701751 ... LastLast
Results 13,001 to 13,020 of 22720
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    You got any numbers? You're probably right. Roleplaying racism is *far* worse than roleplaying repetitive murder, just as well there aren't any games around that allow that sort of thing. Videogames do permit racism however and thus cause it, so I'm divorcing my wife in the morning on the back of that.

New Vegas New Vegas, what has thou donst.
    There's a difference between the idea that a game promotes a belief or a view or that it will encourage someone who has previously not shown an interest in murdering people to murder them because they played CoDBLops 7 2k12 Super Hyper Advanced Edition, and playing a game because it lets you carry out your role play fantasies.

I'm sure you were actually just having a bit of a giraffe when you made a point to mention that your wife was of mixed race, hates games and as such you decided the best thing to do was go play a game which would allow you to beat up or be mean to black people made of pixels while she was away. If you weren't however, then you should probably seek help for what sounds like racist undertones in your personality.

Again, I'm sure you where just joking.

I've still been playing Darksiders, it's still being pretty great. The VA in the game is just brilliant.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    My Commander Shepard isn't anti-alien, just very very pro-human.

Started Borderlands 2 yesterday. So far I'm barely out of the Liar's Berg, running side missions for the Hammerlock-or-whatshisname guy, and it feels great!

Anything in particular that a newbie should take into account? I'm playing solo with Axton.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Started Borderlands 2 yesterday. So far I'm barely out of the Liar's Berg, running side missions for the Hammerlock-or-whatshisname guy, and it feels great!

Anything in particular that a newbie should take into account? I'm playing solo with Axton.
    Headshots, headshots, headshots. Avoid shotguns early on. Stick with snipers/assault rifles or pistols/hand guns when in close range. Corrosive element guns are overall the best ones and they decimate robotic enemies.

Flame is excellent all organic enemies. BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRN!

Shock is sadly useless except when against shields but corrosives will eat through them anyway. Explosive ammo is massively underrated, if you manage a decent assault with exploding ammo, it works wonders against large groups due to the splash dmg per bullet.

Rocket launchers are meh, avoid. Useless except against bosses and even then fairly useless.

I find e-tech weapons utterly useless. Avoid but you find a use for them, go ahead.

On your first playthrough, do every quest you take. Preferably every single one you can. On your second playthrough, avoid all sidequests that offer unique rewards and stick to the main storyline and rush through it, you should be level 50 well before you finish. Its the third playthrough - True Vault Hunter Mode or TVHM - where it all comes together. All the quests and sidequests with unique rewards that you did not do in your second playthrough, these will reward you with the best version of their rewards in TVHM.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Maybe something to lighten the mood up a bit. How about, err, hopscotch?

This scene actually made me laugh out loud.
    I'm looking forward Dreamfall Chapters, but I'd be even more excited if Ragnar Tørnquist spontaneously decided to make a game based around the many adventures of Roper Klacks. So much untapped potential.

I originally wanted to play Dungeon Siege 3, but then I realized I've never tried a Darkside approach in KotoR 2, so I'm doing that instead. The beginning is considerably more of a hassle than I remember. The Pegarus mining facility is basically just a long line of identical corridors with the same two enemy types repeated over and over again. And there's no real reason for Citadel Station to exist, aside from two humorous encounters everything feels like filler content. At least I know that the game picks up once you reach the surface of Telos, which shouldn't be much longer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    There's a difference between the idea that a game promotes a belief or a view or that it will encourage someone who has previously not shown an interest in murdering people to murder them because they played CoDBLops 7 2k12 Super Hyper Advanced Edition, and playing a game because it lets you carry out your role play fantasies.

I'm sure you were actually just having a bit of a giraffe when you made a point to mention that your wife was of mixed race, hates games and as such you decided the best thing to do was go play a game which would allow you to beat up or be mean to black people made of pixels while she was away. If you weren't however, then you should probably seek help for what sounds like racist undertones in your personality.

Again, I'm sure you where just joking.

I've still been playing Darksiders, it's still being pretty great. The VA in the game is just brilliant.
    I am a deeply racist man.

In all reality I was having a laugh but I do think it’s interesting where the idea came from. I play most games that make some pretence at having a moral element along the sort of “neutral good” track, very pragmatic, always trying to emphasise with everyone and find the good in people. That or a stealth/no kills play through. I always struggled to play the bad guy, both in terms of “feeling it” and being given the incentive to try it.

I heard that New Vegas was fairly unique in its sandbox attitude towards NPC’s though and that even main characters dying doesn’t break the game, so thought that it was as good a game as any to try a more arbitrary and abusive approach as the mechanics allowed for it. It also fit in well with a sort of hard boiled Clint Eastwood type who fits right at hope in the hyper violence of NV.

So on the back of this I decided to kill an NPC rather than do a fetch quest for him in order to progress. I happened to notice that he was a black guy. I wondered about the repercussions of doing so in terms of roleplaying, and one of the things that crossed my mind was whether people would think I was racist for doing so. Then I wondered what it would look like for me to play as a racist in NV, and noticed a few things:

1. NV is one of the few games where being a racist is actually a viable option given that most games have next to no racial distribution anyway. I could likewise have played a black or Latin American guy and been racist towards white people and the amount of people I would have to be racist to would have been more or less equal.
    2. I assumed that to be racist in any meaningful way towards anyone I would have to interact negatively with people of said race somehow. So- be aggressive in action, and dismissive/aggressive in conversation.
    3. It was easier to kill someone for being black than slight them, threaten them or even talk to them. My most sophisticated vocabulary was violence.
    4. Quest line wise I would have to join Mr House or the Legion given the democratic NCR’s multiracial population
    5. The whole reason this imagined scenario came about was because of the fact that I could kill someone on the grounds of an arbitrary decision because there was no reason not to besides my conscience. NV does a good job of fire fights and group combat being difficult but in my possession of all my guns I could still take the population of the town with relative ease if they had a problem with me doing it. The main/only “moral” thing I took from all was that it’s terrifying how powerful guns are and that certain countries allow very easy access to them.
    6. Is it worse to roleplay someone who kills people on the grounds of race than to roleplay someone who just shoots people because they subjectively decide someone is worthy of dying, in most instances, even key plot moments, without any real evidence of guilt? Either character seems dangerous to me.

That’s about it really. Naturally my comment was entirely throwaway and ludicrous. I would never play a game to “get” at anyone, least of all my wife, specifically on the grounds of her race and that of any kids I might potentially have. I frankly thought it was such a dumb thing to say that people would have read it as such.
    NV is tremendous also. Very strong plot is for the most part ably supported by its open world, although there are some bits that stretch credibility. “Come fly with me” for example was cute but felt very out of place in the larger context. That’s why I killed the NPC who launched it.

That, and because I am a racist ; )

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    helpful information about BL2
    Thanks! I'll keep this in mind. I already noticed the nice burning effect in some guns.

How often do you gain skill points? I'm level 5, but from what I've gathered I don't have any skills or any points to spend on skills (like the turret thingy).

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Thanks! I'll keep this in mind. I already noticed the nice burning effect in some guns.

How often do you gain skill points? I'm level 5, but from what I've gathered I don't have any skills or any points to spend on skills (like the turret thingy).
    You get the first at level 9 and then you get 1 per level from then on. So by the end of the game you get 40 points to spend however you want, with the first point always going into the action skill, you don't get a choice in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    You get the first at level 9 and then you get 1 per level from then on.
    Right, splendid. Thanks!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Been playing Teleglitch.

I'm rubbish at it but will get better. Need to learn to stop being wasteful with ammo, I tend to panic when surprised and spray bullets everywhere.

And in the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    I am a deeply racist man.
    I think the sixty-four dollar question is, why would it even cross your mind?

I mean, RPGs like to throw moral dilemmas at you, but they tend to do so almost entirely on the actions of the characters around you, allowing you to form an judgement of them based on what they do, not who they are. Who they are is almost always a red herring anyway, as RPGs love to throw inversions to the stereotypes at you anyway, so you'll get the beautiful hagspawn, the conscientious red wizard, the morals-bound devil, the unassuming princess, et cetera, just to play with your perceptions and their tropes.

So yeah, the point of all that is to avoid the arbitrariness you describe.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Nalano, why are you a pony?

also: downloading the latest overhaul and such for Morrowind. Sigh, it's like Deus Ex; every time someone mentions it I have to play it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post

also: downloading the latest overhaul and such for Morrowind. Sigh, it's like Deus Ex; every time someone mentions it I have to play it again.
    If it makes you feel better, I've already started installing it at home again. My own fault for linking the theme.

It does actually. I have some exams at the end of March that'll decide my future ( mainly if I start a master's degree in physics or philosophy or none if I'm really crap at everything ) so I won't have as much time to play games all that much after this week since I'll be studying.

Someone should write a diary in Morrowind though. Maybe I'll do it, but like I said: time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    One of the database items says his personality is damaged and asleep in the suit.

Crysis 3 does a fantastic job at retconning the Crysis 2 era shit, including the comics in which Nomad dies. The third dogtag is Cupcake's (from Warhead) and Nomad is erased from all datapads except one...
    Crysis 2 really was a shamefur dispray story-wise.
    They're back on track now, despite what shit-eating reviewers want you to think, and I hope they'll keep making them.
    Well, I mean more how everyone is mentioning people who have sacrificed themselves and nobody cares about Alcatraz beyond "Prophet replaced the meat when the meat gave out". Even just a "This is for Alcatraz" would have been nice.

And I haven't read all the stuff yet, but is the comic really non-canon now? Psycho mentions Helena is dead and that does tie up the Nomad issue. And, at least from in-game and the stuff I have read, Prophet's journeys through time and space still seem to have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    I'm actually tempted to read a Crysis 2 novelistation. Its by Peter Watts who reportedly did a good job. And I enjoyed Blindsight( even though I had to look up 70% of words in a dictionary).
    I have heard it is decent, but Watts kind of wasn't writing a game novelization and spent most of his time focusing on the ethical/philisophical rammifications of the suit.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Baldur's Gate's ending called you out if your entire party was human (but not if you were solo I believe) for effectively being an all human war pack.

No other combinations were noted.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Technically, I'm a herd of ponies. I just picked the most majestic one.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Technically, I'm a herd of ponies. I just picked the most majestic one.
    You picked the wrong one, Cadance is the most majestic one :P
    Last edited by Caddybear; 25-02-2013 at 02:24 PM.

You picked the wrong one, Cadence is the most majestic one :P
    That's exactly what a cretin like you would say.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Technically, I'm a herd of ponies.
    Oh dear, he's finally gone Stuart Baggs on us: