Page 658 of 1135 FirstFirst ... 158558608648656657658659660668708758 ... LastLast
Results 13,141 to 13,160 of 22699
  1. #13141
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    180
    Finally checking out the original Crysis. Loving it so far, although I wish it were a bit easier to shortcut between the nanosuit powers. Since I'm in quite the shooty-shoot-shoot mood, I'll probably keep playing through Warhead and then Crysis 2 in anticipation of the third one.

    On another note, I'm long heard about how this game required a monster machine to run. I am able to max it out with a Geforce 670, which isn't that impressive, but then I remembered it came out in 2007. Yeah, it must've taken a beast of a machine at that time to truly show it off.

  2. #13142
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Stay clear from Dungeon Siege III and Space Siege.
    OBJECTION!
    Dungeon Siege 3 is a great game for those who aren't nostalgia blinded by DS 1 and 2. It actually requres you to play it, rather than being a glorified screen saver like the first was* or a monument to mediocrity like the second.

    *I still enjoyed the first game but it dragged on too long and barely ever needed input beyond "click your people to move forward". Seamless world engine was incredible at the time though, and I look forward to buying the game on GOG one day.


    Quote Originally Posted by kstress71 View Post
    Finally checking out the original Crysis. Loving it so far, although I wish it were a bit easier to shortcut between the nanosuit powers. Since I'm in quite the shooty-shoot-shoot mood, I'll probably keep playing through Warhead and then Crysis 2 in anticipation of the third one.
    Hotkeys http://www.widowpc.com/2007/11/crysis_tips_and.php

  3. #13143
    Lesser Hivemind Node Kodeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by kstress71 View Post
    Finally checking out the original Crysis. Loving it so far, although I wish it were a bit easier to shortcut between the nanosuit powers. Since I'm in quite the shooty-shoot-shoot mood, I'll probably keep playing through Warhead and then Crysis 2 in anticipation of the third one.

    On another note, I'm long heard about how this game required a monster machine to run. I am able to max it out with a Geforce 670, which isn't that impressive, but then I remembered it came out in 2007. Yeah, it must've taken a beast of a machine at that time to truly show it off.
    I can't even max it out and get decent framerates with a 460, which came out 3 years after the fact, so yeah, it's a little bit demanding.

  4. #13144
    Moderator Anthile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    People's Republic of Germany
    Posts
    2,295
    The Darkness 2. It's...beautiful. Easily the best shooter since Bulletstorm. Actually, those two games have a lot in common, gameplay-wise. Both are more about killing with style than just gunning down mooks and run from a to b.
    I feel kind of silly that I only bought it recently, it would have been worth the full price.
    to wound the autumnal city.

  5. #13145
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    OBJECTION!
    Dungeon Siege 3 is a great game for those who aren't nostalgia blinded by DS 1 and 2. It actually requres you to play it, rather than being a glorified screen saver like the first was* or a monument to mediocrity like the second.

    *I still enjoyed the first game but it dragged on too long and barely ever needed input beyond "click your people to move forward". Seamless world engine was incredible at the time though, and I look forward to buying the game on GOG one day.
    Bagging on an enormously fun tactical ARPG like DS2 does not make me more inclined to trust your opinion on DS3. I get that it's a different kind of game, and not trying to be like the originals, but for that reason alone comparing it to the originals by bashing them does not serve to make your point.
    Last edited by vinraith; 01-03-2013 at 11:27 PM.

  6. #13146
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Bagging on an enormously fun tactical ARPG like DS2 does not make me more inclined to trust your opinion on DS3. I get that it's a different kind of game, and not trying to be like the originals, but for that reason alone comparing it to the originals by bashing them does not serve to make your point.
    I know, I know. I've barely even played much of DS2 because it was unappealing from the start so there may well be a good game underneath it all (I'll try it again one day as you've recommended it before). And I said I like DS1, and I would exhort people to give it a try as there is some genuinely good stuff there. It's just the good stuff, for me, was largely the world, engine, AI and progression mechanics. The actual playing was pretty effortless/inconsequential and the story/characters just didn't exist, and those are big things to me.

    DS3 goes the same way Bastion (for example, and there are probably better ones) did with ARPG gameplay, introducing block and dodge mechanics along with two combat stances (one for group damage and one for singular) with skills tied to each stance and skill special attacks to go with them. Then there's the fact it has a plot and there are people in this plot who have personalities, rather than interchangable mages, archers and warriors like DS1. Those two things that it imrpoves over the other games*: gameplay and story; mean it irritates me when people come along with the usual "They changed things so now it sucks" argument. Or whatever the vogue hatred of DS3 is these days.

    *at least that I've played (finished DS1 and LoA, tried DS2 for ~5hours)

  7. #13147
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    OBJECTION!
    Dungeon Siege 3 is a great game for those who aren't nostalgia blinded by DS 1 and 2. It actually requres you to play it, rather than being a glorified screen saver like the first was* or a monument to mediocrity like the second.

    *I still enjoyed the first game but it dragged on too long and barely ever needed input beyond "click your people to move forward". Seamless world engine was incredible at the time though, and I look forward to buying the game on GOG one day.
    Unfortunately, I played (and loved) the original Dungeon Siege to death, so when I played the demo of DS3, I could quickly tell it was shaping up to be everything I never wanted. I played DS1 as a sightseeing tour anyway, seeing as I was a kid who didn't like challenge and used the gold cheat to get all the best gear from the shops.

    I fondly remember Merik's amusing tantrum when you dismissed him from your party, but sadly I can't seem to find a video of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Those two things that it imrpoves over the other games*: gameplay and story; mean it irritates me when people come along with the usual "They changed things so now it sucks" argument. Or whatever the vogue hatred of DS3 is these days.
    Yep, that's pretty much my sentiment. Obviously I preferred the way DS1 and 2 did things, since I never played Diablo or other ARPGs, plus the demo gave me a lot of small gripes that exemplified the game's console-focused design. The decision was quickly made to skip it.
    Last edited by LTK; 02-03-2013 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Add quote

  8. #13148
    Network Hub FunnyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    It's because of the mod thread, isn't it? I'm playing it too; just arrived in the Temple quarter. I'm hoping I can avoid whatever glitch made it impossible for me to get into the graveyard last time. I gotta cull the stray dog population for the gravedigger, but how will I do that if I can't draw my sword outside of combat? Or is it just not allowed to draw your weapon during the day?
    Actually.... No. All the talk about Cyberpunk 2077 and Witcher 3 made me interested in the games, and luckily Steam had a Witcher sale that same week, so I bought the first one to try it out. I definitely think I will be buying the second one as well later...

  9. #13149
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Unfortunately, I played (and loved) the original Dungeon Siege to death, so when I played the demo of DS3, I could quickly tell it was shaping up to be everything I never wanted. I played DS1 as a sightseeing tour anyway, seeing as I was a kid who didn't like challenge and used the gold cheat to get all the best gear from the shops.

    I fondly remember Merik's amusing tantrum when you dismissed him from your party, but sadly I can't seem to find a video of it.


    Yep, that's pretty much my sentiment. Obviously I preferred the way DS1 and 2 did things, since I never played Diablo or other ARPGs, plus the demo gave me a lot of small gripes that exemplified the game's console-focused design. The decision was quickly made to skip it.
    As a sightseeing game it was incredible, presenting the sort of seamless world that The Elder Scrolls can only dream of. I loved getting out of the dwarven mines near the start, emerging into the wintery forest.
    But there was so much lacking. The shop equipment was pointless most of the time: when you got to a new shop you weren't a high enough level to use the best stuff (and probably couldn't afford it) yet your current stuff was better than the shop equivalent. And seeing as you never really went backwards in that game, shops were pointless. I maxed out the gold meter to 99999999... about 2/3 through the game.

  10. #13150
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,693
    All this talk about The Witcher is making me sad because I really, really ran out of gumption and wonder when the hell I'll be able to get back and finish that damn Chapter 5 /me shakes fist at swamps

    In other news I might have a mild addiction to Terraria but still finished both PISS and Eternally Us. Don't play the latter if you're the kind of person who always rant about those games so annoyingly pretentious. It's a small-ish game but what it does, it does well. Basically it's a nightmare, which is life.

    PISS is quite possibly the best ben304 so far and caught me entirely off guard (guess playing that other game of his where you actually have piss as an inventory item somehow affected my expectations, but only slightly. And if you believe that I have a bundle of russian mail order brides who are into indie music I'd like to sell you, mint condition).
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  11. #13151
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    I know, I know
    You played singleplayer, didn't you?
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

  12. #13152
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    The Darkness 2. It's...beautiful. Easily the best shooter since Bulletstorm. Actually, those two games have a lot in common, gameplay-wise. Both are more about killing with style than just gunning down mooks and run from a to b.
    I feel kind of silly that I only bought it recently, it would have been worth the full price.
    Yes, fantastic game I've been recommending since it came out. Be sure to Check out the "multiplayer" it's actually a seperate campaign with a new set of playable characters and it's own story. Can be played solo.

  13. #13153
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    PISS is quite possibly the best ben304 so far and caught me entirely off guard (guess playing that other game of his where you actually have piss as an inventory item somehow affected my expectations, but only slightly. And if you believe that I have a bundle of russian mail order brides who are into indie music I'd like to sell you, mint condition).
    Can i have mine NiB please?
    Seeing as you gave PISS a chance I'll give Super Brothers: Sword and Sworcery another go when i get a quiet moment.

    I've decided to leave Avadon: The Black Fortress for a while, its just... dragging.

    So tonight i played a bit of this, and a bit of that including; BIT.TRIP RUNNER, Fallout: New vegas (before it crashed), Hard Reset and aaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaa for the awesome!

    Before finally settling on Bastion.
    Why did i ever put that game down?

  14. #13154
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,174
    I've been playing Far Cry 3. I cannot stress how much I hate the fact that you HAVE to do the idiotic fucking story missions before you can get to the second island. When the game lets you do what you want, it's awesome, it really is. When you run out of things to do on your own, it sucks. I think I'm done with it now, I've done all the outposts and gotten all the signature weapons, I don't really care about anything else.

    The story, though. My god. I could explain but I feel it's been covered already.

    I can't decide what to play next, I think I want it to be a Star Wars game though. It's either that, Spec Ops: The Line or maybe I'll go back to Resonance before I forget what's happened so far. I think I already have... What a waste of two hours.

    Edit: Pretty much immediately after I posted this I played almost an hour of Analogue: A Hate Story. Well, I think I did. I quite like dystopian sci-fi and this does have hints of 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I kind of just want to explore the ship rather than talk to some AI and read what they want to show me. I'm willing to go along with it though, I think I'm already quarter of the way through and reading never hurt anyone. I'm not going to make a habit out of... Whatever genre this is, however.
    Last edited by neema_t; 02-03-2013 at 03:35 AM.

  15. #13155
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I've been playing Far Cry 3. I cannot stress how much I hate the fact that you HAVE to do the idiotic fucking story missions before you can get to the second island. When the game lets you do what you want, it's awesome, it really is. When you run out of things to do on your own, it sucks. I think I'm done with it now, I've done all the outposts and gotten all the signature weapons, I don't really care about anything else.

    The story, though. My god. I could explain but I feel it's been covered already.
    http://farcry.nexusmods.com/mods/15/

  16. #13156
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    You played singleplayer, didn't you?
    You can basically always make that assumption with me.

  17. #13157
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,092
    I've been playing Botanicula. There isn't much in the way of puzzles. You just click everything in sight and see what happens, but the game is so wide-eyed and adorable that there's a payoff every time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    You can basically always make that assumption with me.
    You may have a place by my side for the Sunday roast. Upend Nal's chair if you have to.

  18. #13158
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I've been playing Far Cry 3. I cannot stress how much I hate the fact that you HAVE to do the idiotic fucking story missions before you can get to the second island. When the game lets you do what you want, it's awesome, it really is. When you run out of things to do on your own, it sucks. I think I'm done with it now, I've done all the outposts and gotten all the signature weapons, I don't really care about anything else.

    The story, though. My god. I could explain but I feel it's been covered already.
    At least be sure to play up to Kick The Hornet's Nest, or you're missing out on one of the best missions to feature in a game.

    Also, if you hate the story for the same reasons as me, you'll love one of the optional endings!

  19. #13159
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    1,949
    I never knew going for a tank build specializing in Melee and Unarmed in New Vegas would be so much fun! Punching Geckos and Bark Scorpions and Bloatflies to death fucking awesome!
    Art blog here.

    Doodles poodles sheboodles

  20. #13160
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6
    The Banner Saga Factions. Really enjoying that one. But I am also contemplating diving head first into EVE Online (it would be the first MMO I'd play). Is the game worth the time investment? And any tips, recommended guides or buddy invites for the 21 day trial?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •