Page 66 of 1239 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768761161665661066 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 24765
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    I've just started playing Diablo 2 this evening (yeah, a little behind the times.) Quite enjoyable for a game where you spent must of your time clicking on people (and not from a first person perspective.) Playing as a Necromancer and now have an army of 3 skeletons and a stone golem. I've been enjoying letting them go in for the attack, whilst I spam biting teeth at the pinned enemies.

Whilst waiting for Diablo 2 to arrive, I spent the weekend playing RUSE mostly. I had put a few hours into it a couple of months ago, before getting distracted by something else. Coming back to it just reminds how great a game it is. I haven't even touched the multiplayer yet, but spending my time with the single player campaign. It may not offer anything particularly new in terms of mission structuring or narrative, but the quality gameplay really shines through. I don't feel like I'm getting to know the sides too well, which probably won't help the settling into the multiplayer if I take the plunge, but I'm still enjoying every minute of it.

Also been playing Dead Rising 2, on and off. Really pretty excellent... until you get rushed by the time limit and then die horribly, taking you back hours because you have saved in one of the rest rooms. ARGH!! I'm not adversed to checkpoints in games, but at least let me save when I quit the game! Besides that, killing zombies by slamming a bucket with drills going through the bottom onto their heads is immensely fun, so much so that you can overlook the screen smashing infuriatingness of other aspects of the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    Been playing a fair bit of The Settlers 7 this week after finally getting it to an eyeball-friendly state, although I think the settings are a bit high as it stutters sometimes. That said, I'm really enjoying it and I find the campaign is really good for helping you get to grips with the game, but sometimes I felt it left me a little unsure of what I should do or how I should be doing it. I'm half tempted to go back to the arguably better-looking The Settlers 6, though, as it looks better and I get on with it a little better than I do the seventh.
    To be honest, Settlers campaigns are always weak because of limited technology, funnelling environments and AI that's held back.
    Better to just play skirmish/multi and eat the fruit at its most ripe.

That said, campaign as tutorial is great as long as they never teach you to rely on things they will then proceed to abandon, but even then repeating the early game tech build up against an non-dynamic opponent is hardly my idea of fun.

Found out there's a brand new version of the Rome Total Realism mod for Rome Total War, so gave that a shot. Looks lovely, bit bewildering as I haven't played a TW game for yonks (also, my grasp of military tactics stops after 'take the high ground').

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moth bones View Post
    Found out there's a brand new version of the Rome Total Realism mod for Rome Total War, so gave that a shot. Looks lovely, bit bewildering as I haven't played a TW game for yonks (also, my grasp of military tactics stops after 'take the high ground').
    Holy shit, they actually finished version 7? I'd assumed that was one of those mod projects we'd simply never see. I'm still not sure it can compete with Europa Barborum, but it'll be great to give it a try. Thanks for the heads-up!

Quote Originally Posted by SMiD View Post
    I've got my laptop, Atom Zombie Smasher, and a bottle of Glenlivet 12.... let's do this.
    This is how real men approach gaming.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

After finishing Deus Es HR, I decided to go and reinstall Dark Messiah based on the recent Eurogamer retrospective. (My Steam install won't work, but (patched) DVD install will). Never finished it the first time around simply because I got lost in a maze of passages and got bored. But replaying it is a joy, and the game was both ahead of its time _and_ never been copied. The melee combat is brilliant, especially as so much of it depends on using your environment: kicking enemies into spikes/off heights, throwing oil onto the ground and lighting it to make them slide/burn. While it's not an RPG in the strictest sense, the fact that you can tailor your combat towards straight-out combat, stealth, magic, or a mix of all three gives it a lot of replayability. I remember at the time wishing that Oblivion's combat was this fun and, 5 years later, I'm hoping that Skyrim learned from it.

I'd love another Dark Messiah game, just with not quite so many spike racks.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'd love another Dark Messiah game, just with not quite so many spike racks.
    Perhaps not so many racks, but give me _more_ sharp contraptions! More pointy bits!

(My wife wondered why I laughed aloud at one point - it was when I kicked a soldier who had climbed to the top of a ladder, sending him plummeting onto a spear below.)

P.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    You jam doughnuts, why didn’t anyone mention Arma was the spiritual successor to Operation Flashpoint? And DON’T pull a dozen quotes from this week alone which outright say Arma is the spiritual successor to Operation Flashpoint. What matters is I didn’t see any of them and you should have known.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Holy shit, they actually finished version 7? I'd assumed that was one of those mod projects we'd simply never see. I'm still not sure it can compete with Europa Barborum, but it'll be great to give it a try. Thanks for the heads-up!
    Beware the elephants. I started with SPQR, which straight away plunges you into a battle against Pyrrhos' forces on the south coast of the Italian peninsular (the 'sole', I suppose). He has elephants *shudder*

The original Half-Life. On hard difficulty. Turns out, that wasn't such a great idea. Enemies are incredibly bulletspongy and generally take forever to kill. That also means that ammo is much more scarce. After the quintessential we-take-your-guns-away-because-we-hate-you level (can we blame Valve for establishing those?) the game kind of missed giving me my stuff back. Now I am supposed to fight alien grunts and marines. My arsenal? One pistol round, one revolver round, one C4 charge. Not cool.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I'm signed up for a casual League of Legends tournament this weekend, so I've mostly been brushing up for that. Lee Sin is a little bit ridiculous right now.

In the downtime, I've been killing time with a lovely little Metroidvania-alike called Monster Tale on DS. The monster mechanic is great, and, evolutions aside, exists entirely separate from the tedium of Pokemon. Highly recommended to anyone with the means to play it, and it's from the same developers as Henry Hatsworth if that's meaningful to you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Now I am supposed to fight alien grunts and marines. My arsenal? One pistol round, one revolver round, one C4 charge. Not cool.
    If you were Bruce Willis I would say you were over equipped.

Review season means I'm stuck playing console games and can't devote much to the PC - but I'm very close to finishing Old World Blues in Fallout New Vegas. After that, I'm thinking Deus Ex HR? Or maybe straight to Lonesome Road.

On a side-note, I can't believe how much it took me to adapt to the graphics of new, AAA console games - my first reaction to PS3's Resistance 3 and Xbox 360's Gears of War 3 was "fuck these games look like shit!". After almost exclusively playing PC for the past couple of months, the change in graphical fidelity is brutal.

I wish Epic would stop being silly and just port the other two Gears games to the PC. I can cope with a crap port, just let me play in 1080p at 60fps, with proper textures, please. :P
    Is "Luis_Magalh„es" on the RPS comment threads.
    My games-related blog: http://gamingmarmite.blogspot.com/
    Make fun of me for all the games I own and haven't finished: http://backloggery.com/ash_firelord
    Feel free to add me on twitter if you want to know my semi-regular opinions on game stuff: @luis_maga

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash_firelord View Post
    I wish Epic would stop being silly and just port the other two Gears games to the PC. I can cope with a crap port, just let me play in 1080p at 60fps, with proper textures, please. :P
    It's Microsoft at fault (They're the publisher), not Epic.

It's Microsoft at fault (They're the publisher), not Epic.
    I wonder. While I am aware that from time to time Microsoft's decision output seems to follow some kind of alien logic, they are still pretty smart most of the time.

I can see the decision process at Epic that would cut Gears from the PC, but I cannot see it at Microsoft. If anything, it would be one more chance for them to pretend their doing something with GFWL!
    Make fun of me for all the games I own and haven't finished: http://backloggery.com/ash_firelord
    Feel free to add me on twitter if you want to know my semi-regular opinions on game stuff: @luis_maga

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    If you were Bruce Willis I would say you were over equipped.
    Only because John McClane is blessed with Superior Surviving Skills™, having received a Master's Degree in Getting Beaten Up, with a minor in Walking On Sharp Objects With Bare Feet.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I can see the decision process at Epic that would cut Gears from the PC, but I cannot see it at Microsoft. If anything, it would be one more chance for them to pretend their doing something with GFWL!
    Microsoft logic: "Duhhhhhhhh"
    Epic logic: "Penises! Penises! Repressed homosexuality! Dick jokes! Big burly penis men!"

This is the Microsoft who gave the PC Fable, but not Fable 2, but then Fable 3.
    This is the Microsoft who gave the PC Gears of War, but not 2, nor three.
    This is the Microsoft who gave the PC Halo, restricted Halo 2 to Vista, and haven't bothered with Halo on PC since.
    This is the Microsoft who... Well, you get the idea.

This is the Microsoft who gave the PC Fable, but not Fable 2, but then Fable 3.
    This is the Microsoft who gave the PC Gears of War, but not 2, nor three.
    This is the Microsoft who gave the PC Halo, restricted Halo 2 to Vista, and haven't bothered with Halo on PC since.
    This is the Microsoft who... Well, you get the idea.
    But in all those examples apart from Gears, Microsoft would actually have to commit resources to the PC port.

Gears, on the other hand, it would be Epic the ones committing the development time and money, all that Microsoft would need to do is give the green light, and perhaps some token marketing, but not even that. They don't even need to distribute it in stores - yet more free GFWL evangelism ammo.

Honeslty, Epic would probably only do it if MS committed to distributing it in stores, I guess, but I really don't see Microsoft refusing that. Gears for PC would turn Microsoft a decent profit, I have little doubt.

But in all those examples apart from Gears, Microsoft would actually have to commit resources to the PC port.

Gears, on the other hand, it would be Epic the ones committing the development time and money, all that Microsoft would need to do is give the green light, and perhaps some token marketing, but not even that. They don't even need to distribute it in stores - yet more free GFWL evangelism ammo.

Honeslty, Epic would probably only do it if MS committed to distributing it in stores, I guess, but I really don't see Microsoft refusing that. Gears for PC would turn Microsoft a decent profit, I have little doubt.
    Halo was ported by Gearbox, Halo 2 by Hired Gun and one or two others, People Can Fly helped with the PC port of GoW which released probably just before Epic acquired a majority share in them. Microsoft would still have to commit resources, because as the publisher it would be a financial risk for them.

There was also Alan Wake. That was supposed to come to PC but was cancelled at the last minute.

Damn, Microsoft suck.