Page 669 of 1239 FirstFirst ... 1695696196596676686696706716797197691169 ... LastLast
Results 13,361 to 13,380 of 24778
    Alan Wake doesn't have multiple endings. Playing on a higher difficulty setting only unlocks more manuscript pages to collect, nothing more.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah. The secret ending is the DLC.

Speaking of, I have to finish those.

Also: Arcanum has not aged well.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    Alan Wake: God damnit that was dull!
    For a story-oriented game, it sure has a lot of boring and needlessly hard combat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Miasmata is amazing. The island is a very beautiful place, it's hard to believe only two dudes built it. You have to triangulate your position to reveal the map using man-made structures - that's a surprisingly engrossing feature. I'm afraid to go deep into the forests and swamps, I mostly stick to the coastline. The creature seems to hate water and I spent many days without spotting it. Of course, the only time I decided to YOLO my way to a distant tent it found and killed me.

Exploration is very exciting. You're stuck in the Tribes ski mode. It's hilarious when you manage to bounce off trees perfectly in order to navigate a tricky hill. It's devastating when you lose whatever items you're carrying. It's terrifying when you spot the creature and can't climb fast enough, or tumble off a cliff in deep water and drown.

It's the kind of game where you decide if it's worth trying to swim across a channel and get a safehouse, or maybe just backtrack to the last one. I manned up and almost drowned. You can't imagine how good it feels to finally reach a safehouse or discover a new plant.

I bought Tomb Raider and I ended up playing Miasmata all weekend.

I am switching back and forth between my old favourites DX:HR - finished The Missing Link DLC, can't wait to go for the factory zero achievement in a few months time - and FTL. Still have to get that alternate chrystal ship layout, these achievements are devilishly random.

Also I'm playing The Banner Saga: Factions, and wondering why more people aren't talking about it. It's a beatiful work in both visuals and sound, and the actual tactical gameplay really is surprisingly deep, with the yet limited available unit types being continuously expanded. Maybe it's mainly a demo/teaser for the SP, but it's still great fun and engaging.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Alan Wake
    I agree. It did nothing for me. For such a strongly narratively driven game, the narrative was just nowhere near powerful enough. So then you look to the combat and it's just not there. Credit where due; the environments are fantastic and it's nice to play a game in that area; I'm still holding out hope that Deadly Premonition makes its way to the PC.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Kingdoms of Amalur: It's a beautiful game with great fighting mechanics (even with M&K) and a very interesting world too explore. The map is huge but not as open as Skyrim. You can travel anywhere, but the story and quest design keeps you on tracks (The map is a series of hubs, each with his own quests and lore. On a few occasions a quest sends you to a different hub) and it can make things a bit boring, because the pacing can be too slow if you want to do every quest and get as much XP as possible.
    Compared to Skyrim the writing is better and the gameplay is more fun, but the world design and the freedom is not and I think it's the main reason why I could play Skyrim for 100 hours before I got tired of it and in KoA exhaustion kicks in after 15.

Also playing Borderlands 2, single player and having much fun. It's more focused than the first and there is a vague sense of purpose that was missing in BL1.

Quote Originally Posted by Avish View Post
    Also playing Borderlands 2, single player and having much fun. It's more focused than the first and there is a vague sense of purpose that was missing in BL1.
    Good to hear you're enjoying it in single player. So far, I've only played a few hours in co-op with friends who already played for over 80 hours and are quite finished with it, and I was a bit nervous that it wouldn't be much fun alone. Will try it soon though.

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    I'm playing King's Bounty. The first couple hours were a bit weird, almost always on the verge of bursting out laughing because it's so ridiculous, but the actual mechanics are pretty engrossing. Hope it stays that way.

I really enjoyed King's Bounty. It's both silly and addictive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    System Shock 2 is still scary. ><

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I recently beat Tomb Raider and Crysis 3. Both good. I think I'll revisit the original Crysis next; it's been a while.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TomxJ View Post
    Fallout: New Vegas has been made interesting again with The New Vegas Bounties mods by Someguy2000. Just finished the main Quest in New bounties 2 and, it’s a really nicely put together mod. I went back to the Nexus to check up on its status and it’s due a reboot with loads of new content and continuity between all his mods. Which is nice.

So whilst I wait for that I’m going to try another quest mod. D.E.I.M.O.S. looks quite good, any other suggestions?
    I think if I had to choose only one game I could play for the rest of my life, with mods, it’d be New Vegas. It’s not my favourite game of all time-although quite brilliant-but there is just so much scope there because of it’s well coralled sandbox nature and how mods can tap into that. Can see myself playing nothing else all year. You could start out, ignore the quest line completely and just wander and talk and shoot and you’d get tens of hours of fun out of it easy and the game wouldn’t break either.

Have you seen Wasteland Defense, where you set up a fort against raiders? Or Real Time Settler, where you establish a settlement, put followers to work, defend and trade and make alliances? World of Pain effectively doubles the play area and adds hundreds of NPC’s and new locations which fit seamlessly for the most part both in terms of lore and balance. Not on the same level of weight but in terms of quality there’s also Niner, a companion with his own quest, dialogue (in a Yorkshire accent, which certainly feels different in the Mojave) and perks and traits. He feels as official and essential as someone like Shale from Dragon Age even though he’s only a fan mod.

If you browse Nexus though there’s hundreds of very well endorsed stuff and the quality off the better rated stuff seems to me to be as good as that of the Vanilla game, better in places.

Lots of mods to make it look prettier as well. It occasionally even looks...sort of nice with New Vegas Redesigned, Project Reality, EVE, some texture packs and the ENB Shaders.

One question-did you start a new character for Bounties, or just load an old save?

Started yet another fortress after thr last one was dying of FPS death when it runs on only about 30fps. Was planning on setting off near a volano for sweet, sweet magma but the only volcano there appears to be unembarkable, so off to a terrifying biome. I expected zombie everywhere but all I got is staring eyes on the marble hill outside. And they blink. This place is wierd as fuck,
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Good to hear you're enjoying it in single player. So far, I've only played a few hours in co-op with friends who already played for over 80 hours and are quite finished with it, and I was a bit nervous that it wouldn't be much fun alone. Will try it soon though.
    I've got some 18 hours in single-player BL2 at this point, on my first playthrough. It's fun, but I think I'll try to find someone for co-op for second playthrough.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Alan Wake doesn't have multiple endings. Playing on a higher difficulty setting only unlocks more manuscript pages to collect, nothing more.
    Ah thanks for that. I'm still kinda miffed you need to finish the game on a harder difficulty (which has to be unlocked) to 100% it.
    But it does deserve some credit as The JG Man says; the environs were rather nice, plus the port was spot on. While 3rd person shooters don't really need FoV sliders I found that the Wakey game here benefited from it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Just finished new Tomb Raider which I liked well enough, and have started again on getting five skulls on all the levels in Orcs must Die 2.

Ah thanks for that. I'm still kinda miffed you need to finish the game on a harder difficulty (which has to be unlocked) to 100% it.
    But it does deserve some credit as The JG Man says; the environs were rather nice, plus the port was spot on. While 3rd person shooters don't really need FoV sliders I found that the Wakey game here benefited from it.
    Don't forget to play the DLCs (They are free. you should see them in one of the menus) and American nightmare is also quite good (shorter, more focused, more weapons and one of the best antagonists in videogames).

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    I finished System Shock 2 last week. I kept delaying posting here because I wanted to say something about it. I guess I'll just say that it was pretty blissful and leave it at that.

Been flittering between Defender's Quest, Orcs Must Die!, Fallen Enchantress, and Pharaoh.

Defender's Quest gets kind of dry and repetitive. After acquiring all the units, upgrades mostly just maintain the same level of treading water.

Orcs Must Die! reminds me of professors who prattle on about how they don't believe in perfection. I don't at all mind replaying levels using new traps, but all of the levels after the first eight or so seem to require it to get five skulls. I kind of miss attempting to execute a perfect plan on the first go in Sanctum.

I have almost no experience with city-builders, but Pharaoh seems quite promising so far. I might pick up Zeus before the GOG sale is over.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    I don't at all mind replaying levels using new traps, but all of the levels after the first eight or so seem to require it to get five skulls. I kind of miss attempting to execute a perfect plan on the first go in Sanctum.
    You know how at the start of the level you can drink in the map, just walk around looking at the ebb and flow? There are ways you can use physics, sometimes even sloped ceilings to create ridiculous combo kills which generate so much more money than simply snubbing the enemy out with force. That money can be used to lay the brutality behind the finesse traps as a fail safe, then hurrah 5 stars.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I don't really know why but I took another shot at the GOG roulette. This time it's Might & Magic 8: Day of the Destroyer. I played through most of game six and a bit of the seventh one but I never quite liked them as much as World of Xeen. This one appears to use the same engine and I suppose most of the same mechanics as the previous two games.
    After reading the manual I was a bit confused. Apparently trolls, minotaurs, dark elves, vampires and even dragons are playable races. You don't see that very often.
    I started the game up and I understood: they're not races, they're classes. It's like freaking first edition D&D. I had a dwarven ninja way back in Might & Magic 4 so this feels like a step back. Racists.

At least the first troll voice greets you with "You could do worse!".

After checking the manual a bit more, it seems you can only create a main character and recruit the rest on your journey. Another odd design choice but okay. I try to remember my adventures in the previous two M&M games, remember that the knight used to be the best class for most of the games and then somewhat grudgingly make my main character one. You have to be realistic about these things.

Lady Anthile of Minmaxia.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.