Page 671 of 1054 FirstFirst ... 171571621661669670671672673681721771 ... LastLast
Results 13,401 to 13,420 of 21076
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I also don't want to start the sequel without having completed this because, y'know...it's the sequel.
    As someone who has first completed the Witcher 2 and is currently in Chapter 3 of the Witcher 1, I say: go play the Witcher 2. It's a vastly better game in almost every respect, it's 98% independent plot-wise, and it doesn't spoil anything for the first game. It might make you want to play the first one more, and I wager it's certainly a better use of your time.

I just spent half an hour trying to kill a Kikimore warrior in the Salamandra camp while overdosed on potions. It was impossible, and it's really shitty that you can only drink three potions before incurring significant debuffs. Drinking a fourth is apparently enough to kill you in minutes. I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Also, do bombs actually do anything in the Witcher 1? I've used some Samum bombs while being attacked by a monster, and Geralt apparently always drops them at his feet like a smoke bomb, and it just makes a screaming noise without doing much else.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Those Kikimore are ridiculous. Giant hunks of...ridiculous. Seem to be immune to stun and knockdown (but do get knockbacked) and fire doesn't seem to do too much against them. I was in the unfortunate position earlier of being at a camp and then waking up with two on me, along with some of the smaller ones. Sufficed to say, I died. That's what actually prompted that last message.

And I know people say W2 is a better game in every way, but if it's making people want to go back to W1 after, I don't want to go from a better game then to a worse one. I'll chug along though, I'm sure.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Someone here tried Sword of the Stars : The Pit ? I'm kinda interested in it since there isn't many roguelike(-like) on Steam. I know there's a demo but I'm more interested in how's the game in the long run, is there a lot of new items to keep the game entertaining, that kind of stuff.
    I only played BoI, FTL and Dungeons of Dredmor as far as roguelike(-like) goes and I never managed to finish DoD (yes, I suck that much, but I gotta say for my defence I try to avoid OP builds).

Thanks.

My memories of the Witcher 1 are shrouded in anticipation for the second game, due to which I forced myself to play through the first one. They're mostly positive memories, but I did have to use a walkthrough quite a lot. I guess the game did have some sort of replayability once, but these days anyone can be glad if they crossed it off their backlog ;)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJSullivan View Post
    ...and Dungeons of Dredmor as far as roguelike(-like) goes and I never managed to finish DoD (yes, I suck that much, but I gotta say for my defence I try to avoid OP builds).
    Can't say I blame you. I found DoD to be wasted effort with permadeath enabled, and a tedious slog with permadeath disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Also, do bombs actually do anything in the Witcher 1? I've used some Samum bombs while being attacked by a monster, and Geralt apparently always drops them at his feet like a smoke bomb, and it just makes a screaming noise without doing much else.
    I played Witcher a few years back, but don't remember which mobs were which, so can't help you with the Kikimores. However, I do remember that I tried bombs probably twice in my whole playthrough and didn't really find them to be worth using, so I wouldn't bother with them if I were you.

Loved the game though, although it would have been nice if it were a bit harder.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Current gamebook performance:

Warlock of Firetop Mountain: 1 death, 1 success
    Citadel of Chaos: 8 deaths, 2 failures, 1 success
    Deathtrap Dungeon: 17 deaths, 1 failure, 1 success, multiple suicides of bad characters
    Stormslayer: 14 deaths, 1 semi-success
    Creature of Havoc: 21 deaths, 6 failures, 1 success
    City of Thieves: 2 deaths, 1 failure, 1 success
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

My first time on Brogue, today. Seems like it's gonna be a short game with just 26 levels but I might be wrong, especially when it comes to rogue-likes. Anything I should know about it?
    Art blog here.

Stuffed with pokemon doodles. And arse. Enter at your own risk.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant god View Post
    My memories of the Witcher 1 are shrouded in anticipation for the second game, due to which I forced myself to play through the first one. They're mostly positive memories, but I did have to use a walkthrough quite a lot. I guess the game did have some sort of replayability once, but these days anyone can be glad if they crossed it off their backlog ;)
    I recently played through Witcher 1 because I want to play 2 soon (and 3 when it releases) but it hurts my soul not to play the prior game(s). I used bombs one time and it turned out to be so inaccurate and useless that I never touched them again. The only potions I used much were Blizzard and Swallow. I gave up on strategically adding in any other potions because my toxicity became too high, just like you are saying. Very frustrating and limiting system.

Network Hub
    I started a chaotic evil playthrough of Planescape: Torment today and have had to briefly walk away from my PC twice already.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    I just spent half an hour trying to kill a Kikimore warrior in the Salamandra camp while overdosed on potions. It was impossible, and it's really shitty that you can only drink three potions before incurring significant debuffs. Drinking a fourth is apparently enough to kill you in minutes. I decided it wasn't worth the effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Those Kikimore are ridiculous. Giant hunks of...ridiculous. Seem to be immune to stun and knockdown (but do get knockbacked) and fire doesn't seem to do too much against them. I was in the unfortunate position earlier of being at a camp and then waking up with two on me, along with some of the smaller ones. Sufficed to say, I died. That's what actually prompted that last message.
    For the love of christ guys, drop the difficulty to Low. No one ever has to know and you'll enjoy it more, as Witcher 1 combat is lousy. I'm pretty sure you can drop it mid-game.

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    For the love of christ guys, drop the difficulty to Low. No one ever has to know and you'll enjoy it more, as Witcher 1 combat is lousy. I'm pretty sure you can drop it mid-game.
    Hm, wondering what level they are playing at. I had no troubles dispatching kikimore warriors on normal without potions. Then again I played every sidequest in sight.

Yours truly,
    Mr 60h on the clock and haven't finished the game yet
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I'm on hard, using potions liberally (ie. as and when needed). I'm also completing every side quest I come across. I couldn't find any way of lowering the difficulty manually, but I did find a mod that allowed you to buy potions that changed the difficulty. Even though they're sold by every merchant, unfortunately for me I've, as far as I'm aware, spoken to all the ones available at the moment. If someone has another way, I wouldn't mind knowing.