Page 683 of 1185 FirstFirst ... 1835836336736816826836846856937337831183 ... LastLast
Results 13,641 to 13,660 of 23695
    Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TomxJ View Post
    Like not making entrances/exits to CRUCIAL areas obvious?
    Is that a trick question? :P

The game has a habit of not making anything you can use/open/walk through obvious. I couldn't, for example, figure out that cocktail puzzle near the end. Why? Because I haven't moved my cursor over that exact spot at the side of the bar which, as it turns out, is a cabinet with stuff in it. It's the very definition of a Pixel Hunt.

ooh, are we trashing Syberia? Can I join?
    My favourite moment is when [slight spoilers]someone steals your robot's hands and screws them to a piano. What do you do? Obviously you use the screwdriver you've been carrying with you to set them lose and take them. What's the character response ? "I can't steal them". SOMEONE STOLE THEM! THEY'RE YOUR ROBOT'S HANDS![/slight spoilers]
    Last edited by Tikey; 22-03-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by TomxJ View Post
    Let me know if you manage to get all the way through this. I've met a bug that just crashes to desktop everytime at a certain point. :(
    I almost finished the game only experienced ~10 crash error to desktop. Not bad. In one spot(fighting with very dynamic ninja soldiers) I had problems with fps but It wasnt my fault imho.

Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I was playing Black Mesa last night as well, I downloaded it on Desura. Not sure if that's why the loading screens take about 30 seconds each but it's a bit jarring. Really, really good quality though, I'm astounded that a mod can be that good.
    Yes the loading screens are very long sometimes. I have i5 processor and 8gb ddr3... still some loading screens took 30-40 seconds to end.

ALthough Black Mesa is really enjoyable. One of the best mods I've played since Dayz.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by AzoriuS View Post
    I almost finished the game only experienced ~10 crash error to desktop. Not bad. In one spot(fighting with very dynamic ninja soldiers) I had problems with fps but It wasnt my fault imho.
    It was after the ninjas, but only one CTD is great news.

Quote Originally Posted by AzoriuS View Post

Yes the loading screens are very long sometimes. I have i5 processor and 8gb ddr3... still some loading screens took 30-40 seconds to end.

ALthough Black Mesa is really enjoyable. One of the best mods I've played since Dayz.
    Did anyone find a ridiculous amount of slowdown at the last fight before you jump into Xen? I don't have an amazing PC but the game was running alright up to that point and then that last battle with all its particle effects turned the game into a constant slideshow. Never found a Source game to run that poorly and it was fine up until that point. Still an amazing mod though and felt great revisiting such a classic with actual graphics :D

New Vegas again (everytime someone talks about it, I need to replay it, or so it seems). I've started a very light modded version this time (only the Extra Perks, Magazines Reworked, Perky Snowglobes, MtUI & Misc Items Icons), and so far it's a very steady play.

I'm toying around with a Vegetarian, frigid, hyper-intelligent middle-aged woman that doesn't like to be bossed around or harrased, who somehow fell in love with dynamite. Lots of dynamite. It's surprising how easy this style of play is! Joe Cobb never knew what hit him, my robot "pal" Viktor did not compute with dynamite and the winner of the lottery of Nipton wasn't so happy with his extra prize. I think this will be my first not so goody-two-shoes character, and I'm, er, kinda loving it. Ban this game I say! ;)
    Last edited by Olero; 22-03-2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: added . . . some . . . extra . . . white . . . space
    Mijn Uitlaatklep - My (Dutch) blog about games, music and more

XCOM is done. The Egyptian psychic sniper, nicknamed "Falcon", had shot and killed the Uber-Ethereal while on air for the glory of Allah! Now that was... kinda... underwhelming. The ending was kinda meh anyway but I expected the operation to be a tough slog of trying to stay alive killing huge waves of Mutons and Sectopods trying to prevent my squad's advance to their boss. What I got was "oh, look! Remember these little sectoids? Yes! You can kill them again! Oh, no. Don't worry. We'll just give you two to fight now. We don't want to make it any harder after what you've been through. Even if this makes this mission boring and empty! Hey, look! Floaters! No there aren't more of them. Just two." Again, meh.
    Last edited by Voon; 22-03-2013 at 03:45 PM.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Haven't finished Syberia yet but since I've played a good 7 hours with no external help, I'm gonna share some thoughts.

Good writing and voice acting; the interface, with no object and exit highlighting is standard adventure game fare, but it's still easy because there are no objects you can't interact with that aren't actually needed, except doors: for some reasons the designers thought that making locked doors non-interactive was a no-no, so in my first hour I had this nagging feeling I was playing the "no need to go down there" game. Puzzles are really easy: you only find things that you'll need to use either right away or just a little later, and the number of items is limited so there's none of that confusion which often ensues in classic adventure games. Also, areas are managed quite well: different viewpoints conjure the illusion there's plenty of stuff to see, while the area itself stays contained enough that you don't lose track of where you're supposed to go or how to line up things.

Movement is generally tolerable (my Kate is a bit of a Forrest Gump, though) except she has this terrible OCD need to align herself with ladders and there are entirely too many ladders in the game.

As for looks, for a 2002 game it holds up extremely well, the combination of interesting architecture and good framing makes for some really impressive views, also thanks to the environmental animations: I only wish it was a bit more animated - that would make it feels less like a photograph of a place and more like an actual place, but hey - technology. Fortunately sound design helps to make them feel livelier. The character models are weird though, their default posture is like that of blind men with dogs in old hollywood comedies, except no dogs and no comedy.

The world's logic (and I mean story-wise) seems to be half real-world, half dream-like, half children's book. Sometimes it works, other times it's strangely offputting, it almost feels like someone threw Stark and Arcadia in a blender and used that as a reference.

There is a fair amount of backtracking, but in the good moments (most of the time) it doesn't feel like it, but rather like I'm actually exploring a (strange) world. My attention typically went up whenever new areas opened up and stayed high throughout, until I'm at the point where only loose ends have to be tied up. Then, ladders make it a bit tiresome - this was really evident in Barrockstadt, less in Valadilene. But then the game manages pace well enough so a new area opens up.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Did anyone find a ridiculous amount of slowdown at the last fight before you jump into Xen? I don't have an amazing PC but the game was running alright up to that point and then that last battle with all its particle effects turned the game into a constant slideshow. Never found a Source game to run that poorly and it was fine up until that point. Still an amazing mod though and felt great revisiting such a classic with actual graphics :D
    I did, the rest of the game/mod ran fine, but I suffered serious lag during that fight.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    I've also completed Sonic Generations. There's not much to add to the overall positive reception. I've practically no emotional connection to the Sonic franchise, but it's obviously quite good.

The game really shines when you get into the flow. Unfortunately, not every stage provides a proper structure to support this; especially the last stage lacks almost every sense of momentum. And I wished Sonic Team would've done away with all the gimmicks and power-ups. They seldom add to the experience and often feel a bit out of place.

Oh, and the PC port is a bit shoddy. There is some slowdown which seems to be related to the game engine processing liquids and I encountered a bug in one challenge that makes the game freeze up completely.

Other than that, highly recommended!

Finished Dishonored last night: Some spoilerish thoughts:

The game failed to keep me interested in the story... And because I played a (nearly) pacifist run it was a bit frustrating at times... reloading and stuff...

I eventually manage to finish the game with a low chaos rate, and found the lighthouse part underwhelming(?) ... Then I checked the high chaos ending and found out that it would have been much more exciting, plus the combat seems fun as hell.

I guess I should have played more agressively. I felt like I was missing something without those fancy combat spells and destructive weapons. I had a couple of fights with assassins , using timebending teleport and sleping darts and it was pretty fun.

I made a perfect pacifist run in DE: HR and I didn't get this frustration.

The game is not without merit, the setting is absolutely briliant : the universe, the whales, the outsider, the magic, I want to know more about it. But it felt more like an introduction.

I am not sure that the levels where a good idea, I think a more open world would have interested me more. The part after the betrayal was more interesting... Probably because I played more agressively too.

I'll let it rest for some times and I'll try a Ironman walkrough with no reloading. I think it's how the game should be played, but I am Goody two-shoes...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    It's not much fun playing full stealth. Without wanting to sound like I'm saying "you're playing it wrong", I don't think the game was designed with constant quicksaves in mind. It becomes a lot more interesting if you let events play out and try and deal with them. You don't necessarily have to fight either, running can be a lot of fun. I ended the first proper level with a full speed sprint, blinking across rooftops in view of all the guards.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    It's not much fun playing full stealth. Without wanting to sound like I'm saying "you're playing it wrong", I don't think the game was designed with constant quicksaves in mind. It becomes a lot more interesting if you let events play out and try and deal with them. You don't necessarily have to fight either, running can be a lot of fun. I ended the first proper level with a full speed sprint, blinking across rooftops in view of all the guards.
    So, like, half Thief, half Mirror's Edge and half Grand Theft Auto?

That is three halves, sir.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    They're your halves, not mine.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    They're your halves, not mine.
    In that case, I'm adding half Deus Ex, because fuck yeah.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    But Deus Ex is half Thief as well. So that would make Dishonored three quarters Thief.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Did anyone find a ridiculous amount of slowdown at the last fight before you jump into Xen? I don't have an amazing PC but the game was running alright up to that point and then that last battle with all its particle effects turned the game into a constant slideshow.
    You're not alone. I'm not sure what it is about the final battle, but it completely destroyed my framerate when I played. It's weird because the rest of the game worked like a charm.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Still hammering away at Pharaoh, to the extent that my dreams are now populated with little Ancient Egyptians running around in 1440x900. It took a few challenging maps to stop sucking, but not sucking is pretty fun.

I totally agree. That's why I am gonna play it again i think. The more instinctively I played, the more fun I had.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    I totally agree. That's why I am gonna play it again i think. The more instinctively I played, the more fun I had.
    Another hand up for, 'easy on the quicksaves'.

Nothing like setting up and executing a perfect ghostlike assasination, only to balls it up on your way out by walking straight into a guard, leading to a ludicrous slapstick exit, clattering through kitchens pelting it past guards and dogs at full pace and blinking out of windows before throwing yourself into the sea to escape.

If I'd have reloaded every time I buggered something up I reckon I would've missed two thirds of my best moments in the game.

I hath slain the beast that is FTL!!!

On easy, at least.

That flagship is all kinds of bullshit.