Page 684 of 1190 FirstFirst ... 1845846346746826836846856866947347841184 ... LastLast
Results 13,661 to 13,680 of 23789
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Herald View Post
    That flagship is all kinds of bullshit.
    I beat 60-75% of my games on normal now, you just need to bring a boarding crew/fire to take out those missiles.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Yeah, I haven't tried boarding yet, but fire (or breach, alternatively) is pretty much the way to go. And bring lots of them. And know which weapon systems to knock out first or they'll knock you out.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Alright. I have finally (hold on, this is huge), FI-NAL-LY beaten Half-Life 2!

... and it only took me approximately six years! Yes, HL2 has been one of those games for me. I've started 3 or 4 playthroughs over the years, the majority of them I stopped before Highway 17. Why? Because of reasons. Reasons even I don't fully comprehend. I mean I did enjoy the game up to that point. Anyway ...

7/10 - Would play again.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    7/10 - Would play again.
    Wish you said that you had moved into a house on Highway 17 and had spend the last 6 years foraging decorations for the house until eventually the events of the story dragged you to its conclusion.

Network Hub
    Just to ask, how is Half Life 2 compared to Half Life 1? Because I've been trying to get through HL1 for a long time, and I've only made it to On A Rail. It just bores me to tears. If the second one is appreciably better I may try to work me way through the first to get there but if not it's probably just not the series for me.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Wish you said that you had moved into a house on Highway 17 and had spend the last 6 years foraging decorations for the house until eventually the events of the story dragged you to its conclusion.
    Now I wish I had, too ... :(

Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    Just to ask, how is Half Life 2 compared to Half Life 1?
    I'm the wrong person to give a definitive answer to that (because I haven't completed HL1 either :X). It's a linear and, to some extend, scripted shooter. In that vicinity, it doesn't get much better than that, though. HL2 is clevererer than its prequel, its prettier (no, not the amount of graphics), its environments are more varied, it's a slicker experience. But, if you totally dislike HL1, I'm not sure you're gonne be happy with HL2.

HL1 is all kinds of wretched, stupid jumping, identical corridors, train and switch point puzzles, turret puzzles, unclearly marked "combat puzzles" where you need to do things in a predetermined way.

Sure, HL2 has a few imperfections, but its leagues better than the first... Not one of my personal favourites, but that's a separate statement.

edit: System Shock 2 is still stressful, I'm going to go read something before going to sleep, "I'm sorry".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    HL1 is all kinds of wretched, stupid jumping, identical corridors, train and switch point puzzles, turret puzzles, unclearly marked "combat puzzles" where you need to do things in a predetermined way.
    Don't listen to this man.
    steam: sketch

This is all kinds of wrong. The jumping feels odd but it sets a pace and breaks up the shooting. This is the same with the puzzles, none of which are that hard compared to other 90's games! The layout of the facility and corridors were absolutely fine, it's not Unreal good but Half Life's entire point is it's grounded in the real world. I would say complete On A Rail and get on to Questionable Ethics and Surface Tension (the exact opposite of a identical corridor level) and see if it doesn't pick up a bit from there.

Although, I can't disagree that Half Life 2 is more enjoyable than the first. It is certainly more accessible and although I wouldn't call it dumb downed, it does provide a more cinematic and linear experience. It is far better than the single player FPS' we are offered today and I wish more mainstream shooters had gone in that direction.

So, I finished the main story of the Witcher 1. Mild spoilers ahead. The final area and all its battles were kind of a crap shoot and I didn't feel like it really had any added value to the story, and mainly served to remind you of the choices you made until that point. I could have killed the boss guy in the cloister, which would have given me closure without having to trudge through a frozen wasteland full of weaksauce enemies and hallucinations.

And given that I'd gained and spent a bucketload of skill points beforehand to max out every base stat and was drunk off 5 different kinds of potions (plus Rubedo, Nigredo and Albedo effects), my health and stamina regen seemed to be near-instant, which didn't make it much of a final challenge. It just made it annoying how the boss guy kept healing himself when I couldn't do enough raw damage to take him down. And then the King of the Wild Hunt appears for gods know what reason, but thankfully he's not as much of a tank and is even easier to kill. And that's it. Spoilers end.

Even in this version there seem to be a number of bugs cropping up, especially in the endgame. Yrden flat-out doesn't work if you power it up, I haven't been able to execute a single powered sword attack and the skills that improve signs (student, apprentice etc. were often unavailable even with the required skill points. Also, I'm not sure if I was supposed to be that powerful by the end.

I really started to enjoy potion-brewing, though. For half the game I had no idea what secondary substances were or what they do, but after having to explain them to the scientist in the trade quarter for some scrolls, I thought to check the wiki on their effects and they can be really useful. Creating a better potion with more balanced effects through careful selection of ingredients is way more involving than selecting recipes and clicking 'mix'.

Overall, it's a great game. Just as in TW2, texture detail and the dynamic world really stand out, and they remain impressive today. It's a beautiful game. Just a shame that the animations haven't caught up, because that's really the weak point regarding visuals. Plot-wise, it seems almost completely disposable compared to the events in the next game, and there's not a lot that's worth knowing with regard to TW2. So I wouldn't say it's a must-play compared to TW2. Go play that instead, it's better in every way possible. So much that it seems hard to believe they were made by the same team. CDP must be extremely good at learning from their mistakes.
    Last edited by LTK; 23-03-2013 at 12:31 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    I finally started playing King Arthur: The Role-Playing Wargame, which I won in Steam's Winter Sale back in 2011. I put it off for a long time because I didn't like Medieval 2: Total War, but King Arthur, apart from erring more on the fantasy side of the legend than the historical side, has characters it's a lot easier to care about, helping engagement with what's going on no end.
    I'd say the problem with King Arthur and acessibility is that you have to go through about 33% of the game for it to have fully opened up, ie. you get a stronghold. And also that the AI is overly scripted to be a cheating bastard who gets more units than can be supported by their terriroty, with veterency just given to them. This problem is so bad that the difficulty settings are all out of whack in the game, such that if you want your units and the enemies to be on a 1:1 footing in terms of damage you need to be playing on the second hardest difficulty.

Listen to this man.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    So, I finished the main story of the Witcher 1...
    To address your point about why the King of the Wild Hunt showed up: for certain choices during the game he/she/it becomes a bigger figure in things. Remember that this is essentially an entity which is hunting your ass down - that should be important. A big problem though is that in trying to be open-ended and allow for multiple paths, it is all too easy to miss important conversation or parts of The Witcher. But the King is a big part of the story, as demonstrated in TW2 where Geralt slaying the King is basically why Geralt is starting to recover his memory.

Thought I'd give Natural Selection 2 a shot since its a free weekend.

Its 3 hours later, I have 3 hours playtime and I'm dizzy through Skulking.
    Blughbehaguraaa? (and various other confused brain sounds)

Obscure Node
    Now I wish I had, too ... :(

I'm the wrong person to give a definitive answer to that (because I haven't completed HL1 either :X). It's a linear and, to some extend, scripted shooter. In that vicinity, it doesn't get much better than that, though. HL2 is clevererer than its prequel, its prettier (no, not the amount of graphics), its environments are more varied, it's a slicker experience. But, if you totally dislike HL1, I'm not sure you're gonne be happy with HL2.
    At the time HL1 was by far the most amazing game I had played at that point. It drew me in in a way no other fps has ever done, I played the demo of it for hours just to play the same level over and over again for what seemed like amazing AI at the time.

But that was at the time, now is 15 years later.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Clive Barker's Undying. Still scary as fuck. It aged very well. The key binds are unorthodox but it feels good while playing.
    It's sad that in one hour I saw more working mirrors than in all games this generation put together.

Alright. I have finally (hold on, this is huge), FI-NAL-LY beaten Half-Life 2!

... and it only took me approximately six years! Yes, HL2 has been one of those games for me. I've started 3 or 4 playthroughs over the years, the majority of them I stopped before Highway 17. Why? Because of reasons. Reasons even I don't fully comprehend. I mean I did enjoy the game up to that point. Anyway ...

7/10 - Would play again.
    Half Life 1 is my faouritest game ever and I still haven't finished HL2. Mainly because of the godawful motion sickness it gives me. Increasing the FOV doesn't seem to make any difference either.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    I'd say the problem with King Arthur and acessibility is that you have to go through about 33% of the game for it to have fully opened up, ie. you get a stronghold. And also that the AI is overly scripted to be a cheating bastard who gets more units than can be supported by their terriroty, with veterency just given to them. This problem is so bad that the difficulty settings are all out of whack in the game, such that if you want your units and the enemies to be on a 1:1 footing in terms of damage you need to be playing on the second hardest difficulty.
    I mostly just found KA too easy as you can just plunk your armies in a town that gives them experience---wait about 20 years---then you have several massive, unbeatable, armies. You don't even have to actually fight to level them up. I played on the hardest difficulty, but once I did that I was unstoppable for the rest of the game.

I guess that's probably my own fault, but I'm a natural min-maxer, so obviously I'm going to max out my armies before progressing to the next chapter. It really does break the game, though. IT's just one example of how the "linear" storylines never mesh very well with the "sand box" Total War type elements, as it's too easy to exploit the sand box elements before you even bother with the storyline as the game will more or less "Stop" at certain points and nothing will progress until you trigger certain events, allowing you infinite time to level your armies up (likewise, if you rush through the storyline, ignoring the sandbox, the game becomes incredibly hard at a certain point).

It's a really neat idea for a game, and despite its flaws I enjoyed it, but the weird mix of linear gameplay and sandbox elements makes it one of the most unbalanced RTS' ever made.
    Last edited by Juan Carlo; 23-03-2013 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Batman: Aggregatibacter Actinomycetemcomitans (am I doing this right?)

*not actual ingame footage
    I'd play the game of which that was in-game footage. I hope the bat doesn't have peridontitis.

On-topic, poking at Recettear having bought it impulsively in the Steam sale. I tried Morrowind again last weekend before dying stupidly to a weak enemy without having saved since I found my first shield. Put off by my own stupidity now; also not sure how regaining health is supposed to work. Is it possible just to wait?

Edit: has anyone else noticed that the Daily Deal on Steam is a program called "You Need a Budget"? Ironic.
    Last edited by Pertusaria; 23-03-2013 at 10:32 AM.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    I can't stop playing Dark Souls, it has me in it's deadly grip.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Healing in morrowind requires sleeping, potions, magic or absorb health/regeneration items.

That's what I was afraid of - I haven't found a bed that doesn't belong to someone yet, and the magic ring I *cough* found doesn't actually heal much compared to what I'm being drained of. Maybe I'll just have to be more careful or something.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.