Page 685 of 1190 FirstFirst ... 1855856356756836846856866876957357851185 ... LastLast
Results 13,681 to 13,700 of 23791
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    There is a bed in the prison boathouse thing you start in.

Edit: Full disclosure I love half life 1,it's just flawed in a half dozen ways. Just like deus ex is terrible for all of its sins but awesome for its aspirations.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 23-03-2013 at 11:14 AM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Starcraft 2: HoTS

I've about 6 or 7 missions left according to what people have said about it and it's gotten mostly better as it's gone along. The missions aren't as dull, though most can be beaten with the same tactic of getting a silly economy and then just spam hydras, mutas and zerglings. I've barely made any other units except in the missions that forces you to use them.

The story has gotten better now that Kerrigan is actually Queen of Blades Kerrigan again and not just ex-QoB Kerrigan. To me the zerg race was completely represented by the QoB and it felt so shitty to be playing them and controlling her after she got de-zerged.

Things that aren't as good.

-Mission variety just isn't there. The evolution missions are all pretty meh. They're not a patch on the protoss missions from WoL, which were such a nice line of side quests. It's a sorry replacement.
    -The Leviathan as a mission hub is so boring and dull compared to the Hyperion. I loved the Hyperion for actually feeling like a big ship with a living crew. The Leviathan by comparison feels really dinky, with all your allies bar one being in a single room.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

At the moment, or for the last number of years, Iíve been a arma series addict..

Bought the Alpha release when it came out recently and have been in the ĎEditorí looking around and testing. I only ever use the editor in any of the games from this series, make my own missions/campaigns. I was from a very early age, still am, into war games, should know better at my age, canít help it really.

The Arma3 Alpha is pretty good at the mo, full of bugs and whatnots, but itís going to be a very good addition to the series I think, certainly once the community gets stuck into it..

Network Hub
    I have just finished Assassins Creed 3 and it is by far my least favourite of the series. With the exception of the navel combat every system that has been added just seems clunky and existing ones are in cases worse than their previous incantations. I've also had more gamebreaking bugs than in all the previous 4 games put together, the mission design seems far simpler than I remember it being since 2.

Both sets of stories also seems worse then they have ever been and voice acting while I have never thought it was anything special just seems plain awful for the most part this time around.

Somewhat against the grain I thoroughly enjoyed Revelations I had no problem with it essentially just being a rehashed Brotherhood, it seemed to me to be that set of skills perfected with every mechanical weakness having an element balancing it out. The setpiece platforming sections and puzzles found in Revelations felt vastly superior to the few found 3 which had some horrific trial and error.

I get the impression that having multiple huge areas just didn't leave enough time to be spent on polishing the missions and systems to a degree that Brotherhood and Revelations managed leading to a far weaker game overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    To address your point about why the King of the Wild Hunt showed up: for certain choices during the game he/she/it becomes a bigger figure in things. Remember that this is essentially an entity which is hunting your ass down - that should be important. A big problem though is that in trying to be open-ended and allow for multiple paths, it is all too easy to miss important conversation or parts of The Witcher. But the King is a big part of the story, as demonstrated in TW2 where Geralt slaying the King is basically why Geralt is starting to recover his memory.
    I don't quite get that. What I see in the flashbacks in TW2 is that sometime after the events of the Rivian pogrom, Geralt and Yennefer had their own island hideaway when the Wild Hunt came and abducted her. Geralt then pursued them over the next few years, and when he found them deep in the south, he killed many of the riders but then struck a deal with the King of the Hunt to exchange himself for Yennefer's freedom. Some in-universe sources assume he became a rider afterwards, but nowhere is it clear. I think what happens next is that Geralt arrives at Kaer Morhen prior to the events in the Witcher 1, but I didn't really pay attention to the dates.

The Wild Hunt is never featured as prominently in TW2 as in 1. Retrieving Geralt's memory drives a lot of the plot, but the Wild Hunt is confined only to books and conversations. The only event that's directly relevant to it is doing the Gargoyle Contract, which gives you a message from a man who was hunted by them. Geralt recovers his memory not by any involvement of the Hunt, but by lifting the curse on the battlefield, and later by talking to Letho. In TW1, a new player encounters the King of the Hunt without knowing anything about him, and he shows up a number of times afterwards. It seems more like he's haunting rather than hunting you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I suspect The Witcher 3 will continue the links between Geralt and The Wild Hunt.

TW2 lets us know that they attacked the island Ciri made for Geralt and Yennefer and abducted her. We don't know WHY yet, but we do know that Geralt returned as well and enlisted a few other Witchers to help him seek her out, and said seeking led to the events of TW2.

Also: Been replaying Saints Row 3 to finally do the DLC/all the challenges and what nots (hard to do those post-game because of lack of gangs). Have to say, the penultimate mission is still one of the best moments in video gaming.

After three pretty fun fights and a further feeling of "Wow, these sociopaths are okay people" we get the decision point. Having Bonnie Tyler's " I Need a Hero" blaring while frantically trying to rescue your friends (and Mayor Burt Reynolds) and avert an act of terrorism is just great. Especially because the AI gets ramped up and enemy vehicles are spawning constantly to slam into you and try to total your car, leading to a great feeling of having to swap out vehicles as they become pinned or explodey.
    Last edited by gundato; 23-03-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Obscure Node
    Just played through the first release of Diaspora: the Battlestar Galactica mod for Freespace 2. It ended much sooner than I had hoped... but wow, I'm impressed! Absolute blast to play. Looks fantastic, especially given the age of the engine. And they've really nailed the BSG feel: the look, the (surprisingly well-acted) comm-chatter, the handling of the ships, everything. Shortness aside, it could easily pass for a commercial game. Top quality

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    More New Vegas adventures. Does anybody do the quest Come Fly with Me a second time? I shot Manny Vargas in his stupid face and moved on. I'd expect something like 1000 caps for travelling through hostile terrain and evicting an entire society, but the guy thinks he can force me to do all that with nothing but the promise to answer one simple question: "did a guy come through here?"

I know I'm new to this area but don't treat me like a tourist.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Me and a buddy were in the mood for some co-op resident evil but, the split screen. Why is it that way? It's been like this on both console and PC since the previous Resident evil and some other games seem to suffer from it as well.

We live in 2013, we have large television screens and like to make use of that, we don't want two small square split screens on top of each other and wasting half of the screen.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    More New Vegas adventures. Does anybody do the quest Come Fly with Me a second time? I shot Manny Vargas in his stupid face and moved on. I'd expect something like 1000 caps for travelling through hostile terrain and evicting an entire society, but the guy thinks he can force me to do all that with nothing but the promise to answer one simple question: "did a guy come through here?"

I know I'm new to this area but don't treat me like a tourist.
    Nope. I'm glad I did it once and the ending is great fun but its a lot of work to get there. Find it pretty off tone wise as well to be honest, it's not just sort of fun and characterful, it's totally bonkers, more SR3 than New Vegas I'd say. You can also sneak the info from Manny's terminal if you don't want to kill him at least.

I have to say actually that for all I dearly love New Vegas the main quests are pretty poor in the round. The Boomers are fascinating as a society but their quest is another one that makes me want to go with the "shoot them in the face second time round" option.
    The dialogue and lore in most of the quests is very good, often excellent, but the actual stuff you have to do rarely matches that, you're just asked to go do a thing on your own. Whereas alot of the non plot related quests see a situation develop around you or someone else joining you or you entering an ongoing situation.

I found out a way to solve my memory issues and just couldnt conceive of playing something else, im totally in thrall. Ended up using a role playing start mod, which started me on the Interstate as a caravan salesman who was raided and left for dead. Upped my food, sleep and water requirements to make them more pertinent, a mod that penalises items in poor conditions and gave myself the earlybird perk to make nights more dangerous. So I've been working my way from New Vegas backwards due to my starting position. Had to work really hard to survive in freeside and put together enough supplies to head out and do some work for the Crimson Caravan. Going to branch out into more dishonest work pn account of the fate of my caravan, will side with the Powder Gangers for the first time when the chance arises I think.

Just to add to The Witcher discussion, I'm glad LTK mentioned how nice it is. Dated now but at the time it was glorious. Still looks epic. And yes, the ending is atrocious.
    Last edited by sonson; 23-03-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Just to add to The Witcher discussion, I'm glad LTK mentioned how nice it is. Dated now but at the time it was glorious. Still looks epic. And yes, the ending is atrocious.
    It's strange, I got the impression of 'dated' as well, but the game came out in 2007, which doesn't seem that long ago. In the same year, we got Bioshock, Crysis, HL2: Episode 2, Mass Effect and STALKER: SoC, and I wouldn't call any of those dated. Though that might just be because it took way longer for me to know about The Witcher 1 than about any of those games, and before I played TW1 I played Bioshock 2, Crysis 2, Mass Effect 2, Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat, which is bound to cloud my memory of the relative quality of their predecessors.

Also, I would like to direct everyone's attention to Hyperrogue. When I last saw it, there were only ASCII graphics and an infinite ice world. But now it's already progressed to Hyperrogue 3, with many more types of enemies, biomes, treasures, and also terrible graphics! You should go play it.

I also bought Puzzle Dimension for two farts on Steam, which is pretty enjoyable for that price, but doesn't really strike me as anything special.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    It's strange, I got the impression of 'dated' as well, but the game came out in 2007, which doesn't seem that long ago. In the same year, we got Bioshock, Crysis, HL2: Episode 2, Mass Effect and STALKER: SoC, and I wouldn't call any of those dated. Though that might just be because it took way longer for me to know about The Witcher 1 than about any of those games, and before I played TW1 I played Bioshock 2, Crysis 2, Mass Effect 2, Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat, which is bound to cloud my memory of the relative quality of their predecessors.

Also, I would like to direct everyone's attention to Hyperrogue. When I last saw it, there were only ASCII graphics and an infinite ice world. But now it's already progressed to Hyperrogue 3, with many more types of enemies, biomes, treasures, and also terrible graphics! You should go play it.

I also bought Puzzle Dimension for two farts on Steam, which is pretty enjoyable for that price, but doesn't really strike me as anything special.
    Sorry, I meant to say how nice it *looks*. Agree with everything else you say.

The only thing I will add is that I think in it's own way the Witcher is as good as most of the other non-dated feeling games you mention, yet was also clearly intended as an experiment, with rough edges included to test the formula, which was then realised far better in the Witcher 2. Whereas all the other games you mention have not been improved upon or advanced by their producers, nor have they continued to raise the bar in the way CDPR have with The Witcher series. The Witcher feels like a start an attempt to move PC Gaming on, I really feel that, as opposed to the other games (Stalker excepted perhaps) which feel pretty self satisfied for all that they're a good time.
    Last edited by sonson; 23-03-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Yeah, I seriously cannot give you any example of a sequel that has improved in such leaps and bounds as The Witcher 2. It wasn't a flawed gem that got polished, it transmuted a statue of lead into a statue of gold.

Also, I'm playing Incredipede with the new levels, and it's so gorgeous and well-crafted, but I suuuuuuuuuuck at it.

Network Hub
    played an hour or so of Natural Selection, it being free this weekend and all. It really isn't a thing i can just jump into with strangers it seems. Perhaps joining the RPS group i'd fair better.
    Also the Skulks wall-run is weird, i was hoping for the perspective shift in AvP, but its contantly at horizon level.

Oh and last week season 18 of the RPS Frozen synapse league finished and i won my first two games! rwar!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Finished all the Saints Row 3 DLC

Genki Bowl: Fun, but glad I didn't pay for it
    Trouble with Clones: Exactly what I like about Saints Row 3. Hilariously over the top and ultra-violent stuff that makes me pause and question if I have any brain cells still functioning.
    Gangstas In Space: Rather boring and too linear. Also was lacking in the humor aspect. The original mission (on mars) was funny because it was just such a horrifically bad story (and the player wasn't sure what was going on at that point). The DLC was just an excuse for the VAs to phone it in.

Getting back into Battlefield 3 and starting to get into my proverbial groove. Oh, if anyone wants to do co-op, hit me up (I am Gundato on battlelog as well) since the sniping co-op mission is nigh impossible when pubbing.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

The power's out but the Wi-Fi is still working somehow. To think I was just going to play New Vegas after taking a bath...
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Getting back into Battlefield 3 and starting to get into my proverbial groove. Oh, if anyone wants to do co-op, hit me up (I am Gundato on battlelog as well) since the sniping co-op mission is nigh impossible when pubbing.
    :39: Tell me more. Do I need to actually be any good at sniping or can I just try and kill anyone shooting you? Cause I wanna do the co-op missions but no-one is about to do them with.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    XCOM:2012 It was 2012 right?

Playing for the first time on Classic Ironman(obv), boy am I glad to be playing a turn based strategy game game with great production values which is not afraid to kick my ass.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Raaritsgozilla View Post
    :39: Tell me more. Do I need to actually be any good at sniping or can I just try and kill anyone shooting you? Cause I wanna do the co-op missions but no-one is about to do them with.
    I will co-op with you!

I finished Batman: Arachidonic Acid. It was over surprisingly fast after the greenhouse. I figured it would take me most of today if not more and now I sit here at 10 o'clock in the morning and don't know what to do with my life.

New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.