Page 689 of 1162 FirstFirst ... 189589639679687688689690691699739789 ... LastLast
Results 13,761 to 13,780 of 23222
  1. #13761
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    1,956
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I'm playing Dishonoured. It's rather good.
    But the chaos system is balls
    Art blog here.

    Doodles poodles sheboodles

  2. #13762
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    347
    I honestly didn't notice the chaos system making a significant impact on the game's difficulty when I played it, and I was killing pretty much everyone in sight. That being said, apparently the final level that I got was more difficult than it could've been, so I guess there's that. Either way, it's a great game; particularly in the middle with the bridge and party levels.

  3. #13763
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    1,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    I honestly didn't notice the chaos system making a significant impact on the game's difficulty when I played it, and I was killing pretty much everyone in sight. That being said, apparently the final level that I got was more difficult than it could've been, so I guess there's that. Either way, it's a great game; particularly in the middle with the bridge and party levels.
    It's a shame that the game gave you all these fun powers and punish you so willingly if you use them in the silliest (read: fun) ways as possible. While the game is enjoyable, it could do much better without the chaos system getting in your way IMO.
    Art blog here.

    Doodles poodles sheboodles

  4. #13764
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,266
    Taken up with a few games.

    The Bard's Tale: Well-scripted, and voiced. Dreadful controls, irritating loading times. NPC models are re-used with alarming frequency, an offence made particularly egregious by their constant participation in cutscenes. Gameplay's pretty standard for this sort of thing, although it's admittedly nice to play an ARPG where "move" and "attack" aren't bound to the same key.

    Fortix 2: A source of endless frustration.

    Anomaly: Warzone Earth: The first four-or-so levels of this game are absolutely dreadful. I put down the game a year or so ago out of sheer boredom, but if I recall correctly there's literally no thought involved with at least one of them: just buy your units, point them at the other end of the map, and watch the fireworks. To be fair I bounce of a frankly startling number of games, but my time with Anomaly stuck out simply due to how mundane it was.

    So, imagine my surprise when I boot it up again and immediately get sucked in. Once the game has slooooowly introduced all the elements at play — and it's not particularly complicated, but it is fairly unique — the difficulty hits its stride, and now I'm constantly pausing to shuffle my units around and a more efficient route. It's still got that "slow units crawling along a preset path" thing that so often scares people off of tower defenses, but I have to admit that the constant care required to roll my convoy through a wall of lasers and missiles intact has made me grow rather fond of them. I tend abuse the "Revert to Last Checkpoint" button.

    Dark Souls and I aren't really on speaking terms right now. I can't beat Smough and that fuck with the spear. I ran out of humanity.
    Last edited by sabrage; 27-03-2013 at 10:52 AM.

  5. #13765
    Lesser Hivemind Node Labbes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    It's a shame that the game gave you all these fun powers and punish you so willingly if you use them in the silliest (read: fun) ways as possible. While the game is enjoyable, it could do much better without the chaos system getting in your way IMO.
    I agree 100%. Dishonored has so many great ideas, but such a weird execution. I'm still baffled as to how that could happen.

  6. #13766
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    I didn't feel that Dishonored punished you. If anything, it molded to your playstyle.

    If you are the super stealthy ghost, chaos stays low and maps stay focused on stealth and fun.
    If you are the super murdery murderer with a boner for murder, chaos gets high and you get more people to kill and have fun with.

    Now, if you are complaining about the endings: Gasp, shock, and amazement, a guy who doesn't murder all the people who are "just following orders" is probably nicer than the guy who kills anyone and anything in his way :p

    As for me: Last night I did the latest batch of Living Story content for Guild Wars 2. Wanted to get them done before any reward nerfing/fixing (I like having two Wintersday bags :p). A bit long, but it also felt more thought out than just about any Personal Story quest, so it is a very good sign. Actually reminded me a bit of the Guild Wars 1 missions, just less "Wow... I have died 30 times already..." and more "Hmm, this is a lot of fighting".
    Hopefully the quality will continue to improve. And hopefully I'll eventually finish the Personal Story (I am in Orr, pretty sure I am only four or five from the final Dungeon).

    Planning to play some more BF3 tonight and maybe to start my game of Arx Fatalis/Libertatis.
    Last edited by gundato; 27-03-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  7. #13767
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    1,956
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I didn't feel that Dishonored punished you. If anything, it molded to your playstyle.

    If you are the super stealthy ghost, chaos stays low and maps stay focused on stealth and fun.
    If you are the super murdery murderer with a boner for murder, chaos gets high and you get more people to kill and have fun with.

    Now, if you are complaining about the endings: Gasp, shock, and amazement, a guy who doesn't murder all the people who are "just following orders" is probably nicer than the guy who kills anyone and anything in his way :p
    No, no, not that. I understand why it wouldn't surprise me things will go bad if I'm playing as a 'bad' guy enjoying myself with the powers but the game kinda implies high chaos = killing lotsa people. Even I played stealthy and killed people with shadow kill, ninja style which is pretty much my thing, the game still registers this as "ZOMG! WHY DID YOU KILL THAT DUDE! HOW EVIL! I'LL UP THE CHAOS METER AND SPREAD THE PLAGUE EVEN IF NOBODY'S LOOKING AND HIS BODY HAS TURNED TO ASH!". This is why I say bollox to that.

    Meanwhile, I played a bit of From Dust and found myself pleasantly surprised the natives, especially the narrator spoke Malay. And a bit of Swahili, I guess mostly Malay. OTT, loved the aesthetic and building lava walls to block out the Tsunami. Gorgeous game.
    Last edited by Voon; 27-03-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    Art blog here.

    Doodles poodles sheboodles

  8. #13768
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    I forget which target could be burned to death, but I assume a signet ring would have been left in the cremains.

    My playstyle was to stealth, but if I got caught to kill my way to safety and I still got the low-chaos/good ending. I think the chaos system worked as follows:

    Kill a bunch of guards, chaos rises. This is because the other guards KNOW their buddies are either dead or missing and get very antsy. They then tell their significant others and the city is scared.
    Kill one of the targets, chaos rises: For the low level folk (like the lady at the costume party) they disappear without a trace and one can assume rumors are spread about where they went. For the high level folk, you specifically can go out of your way to discredit them, which lends justification to their removal and a more peaceful transition.

    It wasn't perfect, but I liked it. I would have preferred seperate "Corvo's Mental State" and "Chaos" meters though. Increased Chaos determines how screwed the city is, more deranged and homicidal Corvo determines what kind of guidance he gives.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  9. #13769
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,150
    Apparently in New Vegas there's a cannibal perk called 'Meat of Champions' which can only be earned by eating Mr House, Caesar, The King, and President Kimball.

    Who would do this?! Who throws in something noone would ever find without a walkthrough?! (apart from the Japanese of course).

  10. #13770
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I tend abuse the "Revert to Last Checkpoint" button.
    What difficulty level did you play? IIRC the medium/normal level is quite challenging if you're new to the game.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  11. #13771
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Apparently in New Vegas there's a cannibal perk called 'Meat of Champions' which can only be earned by eating Mr House, Caesar, The King, and President Kimball.

    Who would do this?! Who throws in something noone would ever find without a walkthrough?! (apart from the Japanese of course).
    ...

    You think THAT is a hard to find perk? Clearly you are new to gaming :p

    Pretty much all the cheat codes of old were pretty arbitrary (except the Konami Code, which was arbitrary the first few times)
    Morrowind gave you a special weapon if you had a specific number of coins on you and a specific weapon equipped while talking to an NPC for a specific stage of a specific quest.
    Deus Ex gave you points for getting a basketball into a hoop
    ANY adventure game from the 80s/90s.

    There are two general approaches to achievements/"easter eggs"/content: Hand-holding where everything is made obvious, and "Good luck with that" where you are just thrown out and expected to play the game, not achievement hunt. Many games tend to take a balanced approach, but getting a cannibalism related perk for eating people is not something mind blowing.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  12. #13772
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    1,956
    ADOM has that 'good' ending if you do a specific set of things like finding an unmentioned rare item and looking for a unspecified NPC before a certain event at some point of the game. That game really hates you more than DS
    Art blog here.

    Doodles poodles sheboodles

  13. #13773
    Lesser Hivemind Node lasikbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York Shitty
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Dark Souls and I aren't really on speaking terms right now. I can't beat Smough and that fuck with the spear. I ran out of humanity.
    Have you invaded the firekeeper's killer's world yet? I was in the same boat as you until this weekend, and doing that will get you 3 or 5 humanity. Then I would recommend going offline (it feels lame, but why waste your last humanity) and getting Solaire when you go to fight O&S.

    Just make sure to figure out what set up you want to run before you actually go for the fight. I had nothing useful besides the crystal halbered and that worked out ok and Solaire can easily deal a ton of damage for at least the first half of the fight.

  14. #13774
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    Yeah, Solaire makes the first half fairly simple, but he'll die quick into the second half (if only because he takes so many hits during the first). While it is possible to truly solo them (I've done it a few times, even on NG+) you really SHOULD take Solaire to get it down to a manageable fight.

    Of course, Super Smough and Super Ornstein also have some of the dickiest attacks and patterns in the game, so yeah. The second half may be manageable, but it isn't a cakewalk :p
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  15. #13775
    Lesser Hivemind Node lasikbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York Shitty
    Posts
    543
    Also, as I sadly learned too late, you only get the one you kill second's soul. So if you want that sexy sexy spear you have to kill fatty first. Otherwise you end up with the option for a big stupid hammer or a bunch of souls =(

  16. #13776
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,150
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    ...

    You think THAT is a hard to find perk? Clearly you are new to gaming :p

    Pretty much all the cheat codes of old were pretty arbitrary (except the Konami Code, which was arbitrary the first few times)
    Morrowind gave you a special weapon if you had a specific number of coins on you and a specific weapon equipped while talking to an NPC for a specific stage of a specific quest.
    Deus Ex gave you points for getting a basketball into a hoop
    ANY adventure game from the 80s/90s.

    There are two general approaches to achievements/"easter eggs"/content: Hand-holding where everything is made obvious, and "Good luck with that" where you are just thrown out and expected to play the game, not achievement hunt. Many games tend to take a balanced approach, but getting a cannibalism related perk for eating people is not something mind blowing.
    ...

    I know. My post was filled with admiration, not contempt. I left out 'Obsidian, bitches!' after the 'who does this?' line, because it was too crude. Interestingly this seems to turn your defence of New Vegas into an attack on New Vegas, implying their achievements are no big deal and everyone does it! Gotta love the toneless nature of Internet posting.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 27-03-2013 at 04:12 PM.

  17. #13777
    Lesser Hivemind Node Drayk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Europe's capital
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Yeah, Solaire makes the first half fairly simple, but he'll die quick into the second half (if only because he takes so many hits during the first). While it is possible to truly solo them (I've done it a few times, even on NG+) you really SHOULD take Solaire to get it down to a manageable fight.
    you guys make me want to give this game another spin... I played something like 20% of it on Xbox before dropping the ball due to the lag and several silly deaths. now that my kids don't make me pause the game every 5 minutes at night I might try it again on PC...
    Last edited by Drayk; 27-03-2013 at 04:19 PM.

  18. #13778
    Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Zürich
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Who would do this?! Who throws in something noone would ever find without a walkthrough?! (apart from the Japanese of course).
    Fallout games seem to have a habit of doing this. Has anyone ever managed to become Captain of the Guard in Fallout 2 without a guide?

  19. #13779
    Lesser Hivemind Node Scumbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Dark Souls and I aren't really on speaking terms right now. I can't beat Smough and that fuck with the spear. I ran out of humanity.
    The advise of other people is sound, but if all else fails kill one and then when phase 2 starts, dung pie up the boss and kite him about throwing occasional ranged shots at him.

  20. #13780
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Fallout games seem to have a habit of doing this. Has anyone ever managed to become Captain of the Guard in Fallout 2 without a guide?
    ...
    I didn't even know that. And i beaten the game a half of dozen times.


    Managed to install Chrono trigger on my new super duper android phone (by that I mean the cheapest 4.0 i could find.) I really dig playing old console games on phone.

    especially since i was strict pc gamer my whole life. so i never got a chance to play any of those classics.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •