Page 697 of 1234 FirstFirst ... 1975976476876956966976986997077477971197 ... LastLast
Results 13,921 to 13,940 of 24678
    I never get tired of watching that Legion guy getting his ass kicked by the Khans after passing a few speech checks while he's having dinner with them. Planning to bring them over to my side since Hardin's being a hardass for not wanting to join the crew. Now after this the Boomers, then blowing up NCR...
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    If you are anything like me, GW2 won't ultimately have the same soul-wrecking pull as WoW. The whole thing is built in a much more gamey style, the world felt that much less like a real place and everything isn't hidden behind gear checks and daily rep quests (as in WoW when I last played). Was surprised at how much I liked all the gamey elements tho, levelling my first char was massively enjoyable, but since maxing him/finishing the main story, have only played a bit here and there. I would recommend trying a mesmer if you haven't already, once you get used using their tricks they become amazing fun.
    So far I've tried a Warrior (zzzzzzzz), Engineer (hmmmm) and Elementalist (HOW MANY SPELLS!!??) with mixed results. The Asura homeworld is too twee, the Charr one was tooo cartoony and the Sylvari was, at least, a middle ground on those.

You're right that it's very gamey - it's gamified to the nth level with a reward appearing for almost everything you do - which I think is quite immersion-breaking and why I'm not getting hooked. Despite their efforts at a 'story' and 'content' it really does feel like a box-ticking exercise - I've little feeling of exploring a real world, partly because everywhere I've played has been relatively empty in player terms (I've seen about 4 other people in 5 hours of play) and there's almost no loot and no real feeling you need any gear either (which is a total deal-breaker surely?)

Even WoW's starting areas aren't that dead - although they generally contain people starting on a fast-track and not wanting to stop and chat! :)

It would be sad if I went back to WoW but I cannot begin to understate how much joy I've had in that game. I've only played maybe 3 years of the 8 years it's been available here in the UK and yet it feels like another life I had somewhere - not many games do that to you - AoC almost did, AO did for all the wrong reasons and that's about it.

p.s. I wonder if anyone has actually played WoW solidly from launch - subbed every month, played at least a few times every week!? Not that I'd envy them but...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    So far I've tried a Warrior (zzzzzzzz), Engineer (hmmmm) and Elementalist (HOW MANY SPELLS!!??) with mixed results. The Asura homeworld is too twee, the Charr one was tooo cartoony and the Sylvari was, at least, a middle ground on those.

You're right that it's very gamey - it's gamified to the nth level with a reward appearing for almost everything you do - which I think is quite immersion-breaking and why I'm not getting hooked. Despite their efforts at a 'story' and 'content' it really does feel like a box-ticking exercise - I've little feeling of exploring a real world, partly because everywhere I've played has been relatively empty in player terms (I've seen about 4 other people in 5 hours of play) and there's almost no loot and no real feeling you need any gear either (which is a total deal-breaker surely?)

Even WoW's starting areas aren't that dead - although they generally contain people starting on a fast-track and not wanting to stop and chat! :)

It would be sad if I went back to WoW but I cannot begin to understate how much joy I've had in that game. I've only played maybe 3 years of the 8 years it's been available here in the UK and yet it feels like another life I had somewhere - not many games do that to you - AoC almost did, AO did for all the wrong reasons and that's about it.

p.s. I wonder if anyone has actually played WoW solidly from launch - subbed every month, played at least a few times every week!? Not that I'd envy them but...
    The number of people I know who did dropped off very quickly. There's like one or two people I know now who did this, both did it from beta.

I've found most of the people who stay the longest seem to have come in around TBC. It's actually be an interesting graphical to see what players are staying the longest and from what point of entry. I know so many vanilla players that gave up at TBC and just spent the next three years moaning about the game they no longer play.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's weird, WoW was a FUCKING hard game when it launched - it took staggering amounts of time to get anywhere, to actually raid in vanilla required ridiculous dedication and so on

So they made it more inclusive and open and interesting - they put more gear in and so on and yet people complained about that for reasons I cannot fathom.

The real problem with games like WoW is that if you take a break, you lose the pulse of the game, how your class has developed, what gear is required, what reputation you need and so on. I think it's that which annoys people the most - they feel alienated from the game they used to have 'mastery' in and they blame the game for that.

When I last went back to WoW I wanted to see what they'd changed in Cataclysm (which I got "for free" by resubbing) and I enjoyed seeing that - I love that Fizzle Darkstorm got drowned if nothing else - I loved that Azshara had become so interesting after all that time!

I didn't care a jot I couldn't raid - I started a new toon - I had a good time and it was only the "this is sinking it's claws in again" thing which stopped me staying around...

Maybe I don't need another MMO at all - I just need a more understanding other-half and/or less guilt :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    On a completely different note - I've been playing a bit of Shattered Haven and it's typical Arcen fare in that I saved my game and whilst I was away the game was updated in a way that made it impossible for me to proceed (I was now inside a room without the key which didn't exist when I saved).

The developers noted my issue and fixed it with a new version on Steam within 30 mins of my raising that problem - that's pretty bloody efficient isn't it?

Shattered Haven is an interesting game - it does weird things, some of them are good and some less so - so it's typical Arcen in that respect too. If you have the remotest interest in a story-driven puzzle game it's worth a peek.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
    And for the occasional multiplayer fun I play Battlefield Play4Free. It's basically Battlefield 2 -most of the maps +pay2win +insults. Why am I doing this to myself??
    No, really.. Why?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Yeah, I really enjoyed BL2 and I'd be interested in leveling my character up some more, but reading the description of that new mode did NOT make it sound at all appealing.
    I'm actually looking forward to a challenge, i've go to level 50 on true vault hunter, and trudging through the campaign a second time is a complete cakewalk, and kinda boring :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Been finishing up game modes on the three-star difficulty in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. Very enjoyable little game!

I know a fair few of those, having had a subscription starting in February 2005 and having stayed on the same realm and faction ever since - but they're not very common. My subscription has been cancelled a fair few times, up to nine months at the longest during the latter stages of the Wrath of the Lich King and Cataclysm expansions, periods of almost a year without noteworthy content updates. One thing I've noticed is that the drop-off after updates is starting sooner than in the past. People tend to get back into the game after significant updates such as expansions, play for a week or two - but quit and actually cancel far quicker than before. I think it was last year, after Blizzard announced yet another big drop in subscription-numbers that they described they had more former than current subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I've found most of the people who stay the longest seem to have come in around TBC. It's actually be an interesting graphical to see what players are staying the longest and from what point of entry. I know so many vanilla players that gave up at TBC and just spent the next three years moaning about the game they no longer play.
    I've found this to be generally true, as well. Most people I regularly interact with started during TBC or early Wrath of the Lich King. Almost none during Cataclysm, which can't be a coincidence given the generally negative assessment of that expansion. Considering a lot of time and effort was spent revamping the old world and lower levels for Cataclysm, this has to have been a source of much concern at Blizzard. This, after all, was the time where subscription numbers started going down - fast. Most of the people I played with during the initial WoW have indeed quit, the most cited reason being the dislike of the 'new levels = (gear) progression reset' aspect of the expansions.

If there's one thing I don't understand about Blizzard and their development of WoW it's their obsessive focus on high-end raiding content, which has been shown time and time again to only attract a minuscule percentage of the player-base.
    Last edited by Tritagonist; 03-04-2013 at 05:09 PM.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Network Hub
    So what I thought was the beginning of Assassins Creed 2's endgame was actually just the halfway point. Now, though I believe that I'm actually nearing the end of the title. The third act so far hasn't been that great compared to the first two (like AC1 it's putting a lot of focus on combat, which isn't exactly the series' strong suit), but hey, any chance to run around renaissance Italy is fine by me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Whilst there's definately a focus on high-end raiding in WoW - I think they've consistently given us the most amazing places to explore in the PvE game too.

I've not seen MoP or Cataclysm's "new" content but I loved TBC and WOTLK had some amazing content (but was the start of the over-gamification which drove me into losing interest).

Daily Quests were part of the killer for me - I went from doing a few things and making a fortune to having a full-time-job in-game!!

Despite that, at one point I had 7 toons at max level - raided with 3. I levelled one toon almost entirely in pick-up instances (as a swappable tank/healer, neither of which I'd done before). I then spent 3 months in Alterac Valley grinding rep and so on.

I even did all but the last part of the Alliance Onyxia quest (original) by hook/crook/cheating/social engineering - that was fun! :)

I did all the daft stuff - taking low level Orc Hunter to tame a white tiger in the Dwarf starting area, tracking down all the rare beasts to tame and so on.

There's always plenty to do without focussing on Tier 16 content - honest :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Uh, which quest was that? Did you propose to Triss and everything?
    The House of Ill Repute; "Blue eyes" (the vampire one). The only way I could see to proceed to gather evidence was to sleep with her. I couldn't think of any other way. I was hoping that if you could talk in the right way to the right people with a combined knowledge from books I'd picked up would be sufficient, but either I did something wrong or it's not possible without sleeping with her. I was a bit bummed because aside from faction specific quests (neutrality, ho!) I only failed to complete one other quest (back in act 1, you had to go into a cave and kill archeospores hahahah no).

And yes, I did. I gave her a ring and got a sex card (...) and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    No, really.. Why?
    I'm sure there are still plenty of servers for BF2/142. I have to agree. Why???

Whilst there's definately a focus on high-end raiding in WoW - I think they've consistently given us the most amazing places to explore in the PvE game too.
    I think I lost it as it was on my old PC, but there was a picture I had of my dwarf sitting on my silver talbuk on a cliff overlooking the sea in Azshara. It's a shame that and Winterspring were not properly developed during my time playing (I came on some way through the first expansion and finally quit for good after the last content patch of Lich King). It was an enjoyable world to explore and some zones were incredibly well designed. Part of what eventually drove me away from the game is that I began noticing the dissonance between my enjoyment of the terrain and my dislike of the actually game-play. In the end, I realised I wasn't enjoying the game and I just stopped dead.

The problem I ultimately had with WoW was that I only really enjoyed it when I was progressing. The end-game grind was dull and PvP was poorly balanced. I will still remember discovering Ulduar (the one in The Storm Peaks, and man that entire zone was fantastic). Of course, the one time I made it with my raid group to Yogg, I was one of the lucky few who got the bug where I was standing in open space, but to everyone else I was standing in the clouds that were summoning more mobs. I was getting frustrated at the fact I was clearly fine, but no-one believed me. So I sat out at the entrance of the room and there wasn't enough group DPS. That really sullied my experience with the game.

I almost feel that if WoW was a single player game, I'd enjoy it a hell of a lot more. Get rid of the filler, get to explore on your own and level up and know that if you can beat the boss, you can do it and know that your reliance on other people won't get you killed.