Page 710 of 1162 FirstFirst ... 210610660700708709710711712720760810 ... LastLast
Results 14,181 to 14,200 of 23222
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    This was exactly my impression from watching TB's videos on the game, where they basically had a trio of newbies go up against everything the DM could (and did) throw at them. From that, I gathered that the point of the game wasn't that the wizard and heroes compete against each other, but that the wizard creates a reasonable challenge for the heroes and is basically filling the role of L4D's AI director. The theme park setting is no coincidence. Is that how you're playing it, too?
    Well, we were newbies all, and the DM played to win, however the DM's chances to piss into heroes' cheerios depends very much on the hand of cards he draws, so sometimes it's just some annoying mobs to smash into pieces and other times it's bunch of clevelry placed traps and spells in combination with nasties.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    Can you tell me if they are as horrible and seem to fixate on the one dude with swords wearing white?
    AC2 is excellent, and while there are still beggars some of those who bother you for money are minstrels. And who doesn't like punching minstrels?

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    I didn't have need for one during BG1 as Jaheria provided me with all healing i needed. The further I get tough, more painful lack of certain spells (like protection from evil radius. mage protection from evil sucks as it is just one creature) becomes. It is too late to change anything tough...
    Made a mistake, should have kept Aerie and ditched Nalia after her quest.
    Should have taken Viconia. She kicks all kinds of ass.
    And, although you've probably figured this out by now, when someone gives you a time limit for a mission in the Underdark, you pay attention to that time limit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    After a couple of rounds of Dungeon Hearts I always feel like I need a lie down. It's such a cleverly designed game, but I wish it wasn't so constantly frantic. Later fights, in particular, have you constantly on the defensive, never able to put together some sweet combos. It's a fascinating, very enoyable, frustrating game for not much monies. Looks and sounds fantastic.

Getting back into Mark of the Ninja, which is better now that I've made myself stop worrying about playing it any particular way on the first run through and dealing with each challenge as I feel like it. I have this nagging feeling that I'm not maximising score, or something, and it needs banished, or possibly stabbed and dragged into a vent.

Making some headway into Icewind Dale. Not encountered its reputed difficulty yet, but it's early days. We'll see how far I get into it before I get distracted by... oo, shiny! Party is Fighter, Fighter/Cleric, Fighter/Illusionist, Thief, Druid and Enchanter. Very fightery.

Took the 20 minutes i needed to finish Limbo. The ending was like the game: minimalist.
    Still playing Persona 4 golden. I am in august and we stopped this guy who's supposed to be the killer. I guess he's just a pretender.

Killed Seath and stole his sword in Dark souls. I still have two lord's souls to go.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Finished Fall of the Samurai (hard/Imperial/Tosa) and was impressed. I loved the fact that they finally made the navy play a crucial role. In previous TW games, I've never really seen the appeal of a navy focused strategy, since it was basically just an invasion defence/blitz attack option. In FotS, Shugunal naval supremacy nearly crushed my dreams of uniting Japan under Imperial rule, and later turned the tables in my favour when I got the upper hand. The navy has become an offensive tool in its own right, and I love it! Btw, are modern units totally OP or is the autoresolve option broken? As a rule, I went to battle with a slightly inferior force numerically, and the result would be around 200 losses and 3000+ kills. That doesn't seem right.

Everything was all pink clouds and rainbows until I got the message from hell: Realm Divide. Were it not for Realm Divide, I'd put FotS up there with Rome and Empire, but that mechanic really rubs me the wrong way. I understand the wish for adding a new challenge once the player gets too powerful, but "Hey, let's throw diplomacy out the window and make everyone hate him!" doesn't strike me as the way to do it. One of the main improvements of the Shogun 2 games was that they finally made diplomacy work. Why just ignore that? I don't want to play TW games as pure army control games, I want to run a faction. By all means, increase the territorial expansion "debuff" or what have you, but don't make diplomacy irrelevant.

While on the subject of diplomacy, they got it working - and working quite well - but it's lacking some features I'd like. Most notably, I'd like to see a peace broker option. A "Stop this foolishness and make peace with clan X" function. I realize that it might require multiple party negotiations in order to be credible, but that shouldn't be impossible (and should be awesome).

It's a great game that could be better, but which game couldn't?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The Witch Doctor is fucking hilarious. So, Diablo 3.
    While waiting for 1.0.8 I decided to level up my second character, a male WD. He's pimped with gems and items from my Barbarian playthroughs, so he's incredibly powerful and levels up very fast.

To my surprise, an overpowered WD is very satisfying to use, while an overpowered Barbarian is a snorefest. WD's attacks keep their oomph even when they kill elites in one second, but the Barbarian feels like it's fighting against confetti and loses all sense of weight and impact.

The skills and general behaviour of the WD are hilarious and very creative. The game feels fresh again. Some runes are obviously half-assed, but it doesn't bother me. Diablo 3 has hundreds of different skill variants, some things are bound to be half-assed. That's what the Blizzard decade-long support is for.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    It took me the better part of my Humanity reserves, all of my patience (I was literally shouting obscenities and I almost threw my controller a few times) and the kindly assistance of a guy called Captain Dendro, but I beat that utter, complete bastard Super Ornstein. As a token of appreciation, I will be naming my firstborn Captain Dendro.

I've never actually been physically exhausted by a video game before. I need to go lie down.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    This weekend has been formed mainly out of logo turn based strategy in the forms of Dominions 3 and Solium Infernum, add in a couples of cyanide's bloodbowl matches and lots of dice and terrain, so far.

Thanks to the "games to play while host for terrible parasite" thread I returned to The Binding of Issac, after I got the first boss down the heaven room gave me "Dead dove", game, set & match, a few gambling machines/cups game later (I was Cain) I have double digits in red hearts and grey hearts, keys, bombs, and money.

Walked it.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Been playing a lot of Crusader Kings 2 lately, have nearly finished a full game.

I've also modded Skyrim, so I might actually power through and beat that this time.

It took me the better part of my Humanity reserves, all of my patience (I was literally shouting obscenities and I almost threw my controller a few times) and the kindly assistance of a guy called Captain Dendro
    I am pretty sure it's the guy who helped me defeat Ornstein and Smough with Super Ornstein.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Finished Fall of the Samurai (hard/Imperial/Tosa) and was impressed. I loved the fact that they finally made the navy play a crucial role. In previous TW games, I've never really seen the appeal of a navy focused strategy, since it was basically just an invasion defence/blitz attack option.
    Hmm. I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I felt like they succeeded in making navies realistically crucial in Empire, where growth depended on having a strong navy to protect both ports and thousands of miles of trade lanes.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    It took me the better part of my Humanity reserves, all of my patience (I was literally shouting obscenities and I almost threw my controller a few times) and the kindly assistance of a guy called Captain Dendro, but I beat that utter, complete bastard Super Ornstein. As a token of appreciation, I will be naming my firstborn Captain Dendro.

I've never actually been physically exhausted by a video game before. I need to go lie down.
    I too have just beaten those two. Took me 3-4 hours of pure frustration to nail them. I liked how the first time you killed one and your like, yes one down one to go, shouldn't be too hard now and then he gets a fucking upgrade. I'm in the painting now and its a nice change of pace from the horrors in Ador Londo thats for sure.

Just finished the second episode of The Walking Dead. So much for sleep tonight.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    In friday i started The Chronicles of Riddick but game keep shutting down,i mean entire computer was shutting down after 10 min of gameplay..Once i managed to play game hour and half but then it happened again,i googled it and couldn't found the issuse so i unistalled the game. Shame because it was really good (2004 one).

Now i installed Bioshock 2,hope i'll like it because i didn't liked first one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    In friday i started The Chronicles of Riddick but game keep shutting down
    Which "version" where did you buy it? If you buy the more complete version (which removed quick saving) it has terrible DRM which causes a lot of people bother, unless you get it from gog.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiphat View Post
    I too have just beaten those two. Took me 3-4 hours of pure frustration to nail them. I liked how the first time you killed one and your like, yes one down one to go, shouldn't be too hard now and then he gets a fucking upgrade. I'm in the painting now and its a nice change of pace from the horrors in Ador Londo thats for sure.
    It's really not all that bad. The fight would be fucking fine if both of Super Ornstein and Super Smough didn't have that bullshit one-hit kill lightning ass slam thing... The key for me was to always wait for him to whiff an attack before I started, otherwise I'd run in after the ass slam (the only real threat!) and he'd do just do it again. And again. Other than that, and Solaire getting him stuck in a corner which completely screwed me over once, the only thing that really killed me was getting run down when I was trying to estus (which I had to do every time I had less than full health, lest I get fucking one-shot again!)

On second thought, that does sound pretty bad. I don't think it's going to be nearly as awful the next time I have to do it, though (knock on wood.)

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Now i installed Bioshock 2,hope i'll like it because i didn't liked first one.
    #1 Bored me to tears apart from its environments, why am i picking up booze, why was there ammo in that bin, why does everyone resist me even they know by now I am death on legs? Why can't I just get into a lifeboat and leave this forsaken place, why is Andrew Ryan so fucking stupid... And then Atlas too.

Bioshock 2 made me care, and I averted the dumpster diving by focuing on a summoner/mindcontrol/melee/stealth/water regeneration build that the game fully supported... until the very final area where I needed a gun to smash a thingum. CREDITS ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    why is Andrew Ryan so fucking stupid
    Well, the answer to that one is fairly obvious.

Crap writers?

Quote Originally Posted by Oak View Post
    Hmm. I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I felt like they succeeded in making navies realistically crucial in Empire, where growth depended on having a strong navy to protect both ports and thousands of miles of trade lanes.
    Well, yes and no. In my playthroughs of Empire, the navy always either came as an afterthought or had to be pushed down the priority list. It is my experience that the costs of supporting a strong navy tend to outweigh the benefits. Ships cost a fortune to build and keep, while ports can often be kept under sufficient control by having a unit nearby running into them. Losses to piracy don't seem large enough to motivate a big fleet and other nations tend to take care of that anyway.

These factors have made me base my naval strategy around small fleets, mainly for troop transport but also for harassing ports. I always end up building an armada near the end, when I have more money than I can spend, but having lots of ships roaming the seas is just a hassle. A lot of money and effort protecting trade routes and trade posts, fighting enemy fleets, etc. that doesn't seem to benefit the empire all that much. And no matter how large a fleet you have, a single vessel can still slip past and land an invasion force in your domain.

The bombardment mechanic adds so much value to the navy, as it can both assist land forces in battle and devastate the enemy's economy. One could perhaps argue that it's made the navy a bit OP, but to me it's a welcome change that adds a new layer of strategy to the game.