Page 715 of 1167 FirstFirst ... 215615665705713714715716717725765815 ... LastLast
Results 14,281 to 14,300 of 23328
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    @ Fanbuoy

If I was feeling industrious I'd link the "how do I enjoy Grand Strategy games" thread to this post. OK granted, this sort of story is something that seems to be fairly unique to CKII but it's awesome. I might just have to fire it up again, I just haven't given it the time it deserves yet (only 31 hours according to Steam).

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    @ Fanbuoy

If I was feeling industrious I'd link the "how do I enjoy Grand Strategy games" thread to this post. OK granted, this sort of story is something that seems to be fairly unique to CKII but it's awesome. I might just have to fire it up again, I just haven't given it the time it deserves yet (only 31 hours according to Steam).
    Heh. Yeah, it is a role playing gold mine. Do give it another go. It's a handful at first, as you no doubt know, but once you learn it mostly sticks. I hadn't played since June, I think, but I jumped in with no problems, after several new patches and DLC. I've logged 153 hours on Steam and probably another 300 off Steam (Steam doesn't count time if you're not launching it through the client).

I have no idea how to link posts between threads, but you have my blessing if the industrious...ness(?) finds you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Oh I really enjoyed my time with it, alas I just don't have the time to spend on it! I've had to get brutal with games that end up with me finding myself still awake at silly o' clock in the morning (one day I'll have the time to get a bit further in Spacechem!) and just cut myself off and play something less time intensive and oh so distracting!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    So, Spec Ops: The Line was... interesting? I mean in terms of gameplay it was basically your standard on-rails shooter, but the twist was great. Watching your guy's appearence deteriorate to reflect his own psyche, the loading screens gradually getting weirder and more abusive, the moment of deja vu and visions hinting something is not right. I would've loved to have gone into this thing totally blind, but if I had then I would've quit by the third chapter never knowing what it had in store. In fact when the game first came out, I imagine the only gamers who did see the message were the ones big on Call of Duty and such who thought they were buying one thing and instead kinda got another. Wondering what the reaction was there!

Is it just me or is Arkham City's Wonder City supposed to be a full Bioshock reference? Thanks to the unreal engine it even looks almost identical. It's... strange.

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Is it just me or is Arkham City's Wonder City supposed to be a full Bioshock reference? Thanks to the unreal engine it even looks almost identical. It's... strange.
    Its quite abit older in its origins, but yes, there are definitely references, reminded me alot of Bio2's tenements area.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    So, Spec Ops: The Line was... interesting?
    Yeah, I really liked Spec Ops. The gameplay was to the game what the story was to (the film) Equilibrium, i.e. just a vehicle for something completely else, Equilibrium was a carbon copy of Nineteen Eighty-Four - I think it even had John Hurt in it - just so they had a framework for the visuals and some gunplay; Spec Ops was a bog standard shooter and all the effort went elsewhere. Fair enough, I say, and although part of me feels like the 'it's a shit game because it's satirical' was a cop-out, another part does wonder how effective the message would've been had the game had better actual gameplay. Then again, maybe the message would've been that much better if you'd really enjoyed the game as a shooter... I don't know. In any case, a few parts actually really shit me up and it's been a long time since I've played a game that did that.

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade. Fuck Chaos
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Just finished Bioshock Infinite and starting Tomb Raider.

Played some Killing Floor on a LAN party recently. Pretty fun with 6 people, though you probably don't want us when the mutants/zombies arrive... We always start with a solid plan and strict jobs for each role. Then we end up in chaos, get separated, waste ammo or fail to get to the trader... On Normal difficulty... Yeah. Dying's fun too though :)
    Mijn Uitlaatklep - My (Dutch) blog about games, music and more

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just killed the emperor in Avernum. Now I have to make the tough decision to wait until the remake of Avernum 2 comes out (which should be 2015?), or go straight to 4,5,6.

I absolutely loved the game. He captured the essence of exploration, and I highly recommend it to any who are interested. Next time I play I might use cheats to max out cave lore and tool use at level one.

Kronus has now been cleansed from the Chaos scum. Finally.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Just killed the emperor in Avernum. Now I have to make the tough decision to wait until the remake of Avernum 2 comes out (which should be 2015?), or go straight to 4,5,6.

I absolutely loved the game. He captured the essence of exploration, and I highly recommend it to any who are interested. Next time I play I might use cheats to max out cave lore and tool use at level one.
    I have been wondering about these games, I do enjoy those old school RPGs. You had a crack at Avadon: The Black Fortress? I sunk 2 hours in it about 6 months ago,and then stopped playing for some reason, I think I enjoyed it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Playing Serious Sam 1st and 2nd Encounter. The main difference seems to be that the 2nd Encounter does not take great pains to screw you over by spawning monsters for every single item. You'd pick up a flask of health or some ammo, the monsters would spawn, and by the end you'd find not only did you lose what you picked up, but you're actually worse off! This practically forced you into the bizarre strategy of saving before picking up any item to see if the end result was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Playing Serious Sam 1st and 2nd Encounter. The main difference seems to be that the 2nd Encounter does not take great pains to screw you over by spawning monsters for every single item. You'd pick up a flask of health or some ammo, the monsters would spawn, and by the end you'd find not only did you lose what you picked up, but you're actually worse off! This practically forced you into the bizarre strategy of saving before picking up any item to see if the end result was worth it.
    The second encounter is far better in almost every regard, bar the fact the end boss is a wee bit smaller.

Finished Batman: Awesome Cabbage and it was rather fun. Ending I did not predict, kinda shocked me as well. "They... they cant do that!!!" etc... Maybe I'll go back in to finish the Riddler stuff, maybe not. Also have some Catwoman stuff to finish.
    Can see what the fuss over her was now. Before I knew she was slightly over-sexy, but playing her made it all the more silly. Why did she have a visible panty line sewn into the outside of her suit? She has nice breasts, great, now why cant you do your top up? I want to walk over there... NO WALK! Stop wiggling stupidly. I find it kinda odd though as if it were some Japanese Anime / general Japanese "boob armor" type stuff I simply think "It cant be helped", but in Western games? Really irritating for some reason.

Finished Offspring Fling, which was gifted to me by RPS user Stirbelwurm through steamgifts (huge thanks!). It's pretty fun; it requires both puzzle-solving and fast reaction skills and it's quite charming. I thoroughly recommend it if you're a fan of the genre.

I also finally beat the first level of Super Hexagon (60.39 seconds). Took me 3 hours :P.

Playing some more Batman: Asheron's Call. It's... kind of boring, really. The plot is interesting for about thirty minutes, then the Joker takes over and it seems like I'm doing side quests ever since. Then I get to beat up various Batman villains that have no significance to the plot. Strange then counts down the in-game hours between the levels and it feels like the game is deliberately wasting my time.
    The gameplay also suffers from Assassin's Creed syndrome. It's 95% identical to Arkham Asylum but you only get more gadgets and more enemy types. Most of them are fairly useless and if variety in combat didn't give extra XP I think I would never even use anything but the basic combat moves. It's very gimmicky. I shudder at the thought what the next game will bring. Batman will probably breath fire from his mouth and shoot lasers from his eyes.
    The biggest disappointment is probably the Riddler puzzles. I don't like at all what they did with this. It's less of a sidequest and more of a collectathon. It makes the flag collection from the first Assassin's Creed look reasonable. Does every game need to have one of those nowadays?
    to wound the autumnal city.

In Batman: Accentuated Chest I generally find that the riddler puzzles are fun, but if they are annoying you just blank them it wont hold you back at all. It has lots and lots of optional content, and honestly if you feel like you are wasting your time maybe just blitz the main plot and try again in new game plus? There it really raises its game in terms of combat opponents and the need to use variety.

Edit: Catwoman is pretty dull, I wouldn't even bother, she cant even fly whoooosh!

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Whaaat ... and I thought Batman: Anxiety Copulation was the rare case that did collectibles right. I mean, sure, there were a lot of them, but ... most of 'em felt challenging to get, they were mostly well hidden and there was a system in place that helped you to locate them. And about a dozen or so were really challenging.

As opposed to AC's flags which just ... were there.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    Whaaat ... and I thought Batman: Anxiety Copulation was the rare case that did collectibles right.
    Horses for courses I guess.