Page 720 of 1264 FirstFirst ... 2206206707107187197207217227307708201220 ... LastLast
Results 14,381 to 14,400 of 25280
    I just started playing Severance: Blade of Darkness. It. Is. Awesome. Dodging feels a little sticky, but it's worth it to chop off enemy limbs and then beat their comrades to death with them.

Knifing my way through Dunwall in the new Dishonored DLC. It keeps everything that made the base game great. Daud's Blink with an added timestop is amazing. You can jump, hit Blink when highest, stop time, turn in any direction and climb onto a roof all at once. Makes for very cinematic movement sequences.

Would buy again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm also playing Dishonored but something is bothering me about it and I'm wondering if it's just my crappy PC

Graphics are peachy, controls are peachy, city is amazing, characters are - erm - OK - but the sound, the sound is a problem.

In a stealth game, sound is important (see also shooters etc.) but Dishonored's sound is odd. Some things are just too loud and directionality is not great. The guard 2 rooms away often sound like he's stood right behind you - and then there's that tendency for the 'soundtrack' to add booming klaxons and other stuff just to stop your heart at the wrong times.

It's bugging me more than I care to admit - it's actually spoiling the game.

I'm using crappy onboard sound and a pair of stereo headphones (Portapros for teh curious) so I'm not expecting amazing immersion - but I've never played a game which actively distracted me with sound which lack direction and/or have crazy volume issues...

Anyone else noticed this - is there some magic tickbox somewhere??

Update: AHA! I had sound set to 'automatic' which seems to trigger 5.1 but as I'm using headphones that's not good - switched to 'stereo' it's better, it's still a bit odd in places but it's better.

Now if I could just get the game to stop throwing 90000000 books at me...
    Last edited by trjp; 23-04-2013 at 03:02 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    and then there's that tendency for the 'soundtrack' to add booming klaxons and other stuff just to stop your heart at the wrong times.
    So many games make me nuke the music, especially multiplayer ones or more atmospheric first person games, shut up music, I'm listening to the rain.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Obscure Node
    Terraria. After two days of messing around I finally got a persistent server set up on my Linux web host so friends can join any time :)

Also Arma 2, Kerbal Space Program

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    More Company of Heroes 2 beta.

AAR: 596 Germans killed, 545 Russians lost in an orgy of murder, explosions and murder. Decisive victory!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Freespace 1 and 2 are entirely story driven. And by that I mean story driven in that you are just another cog in the war machine. You are and always will be just another pilot. Its very different to modern day gaming's need to have a heavily personalised avatar.
    Funnily enough Starlancer (another space game) is one of the few other games to pull this sort of thing off (even when you overhaul one of the other characters kill counts and actually rescue him at one stage he still gets all the plaudits!).

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post

I need to try the Blitzkrieg Mod, whats the gist of it?
    essentially it has :

-Lots more Vehicles and Infantry and Buildings (f.e. Möbelwagen,Sd.Kfz. 251/9,82th Airborne,slit Trenches for all Sides,Mortar bunkers)
    -higher Damage and Range for most Weapons.
    -added more Perks,for some Sides almost twice as much now...
    -several Gameplay tweaks (f.e. All Infantry can sprint for a limited Time,many can cloak when near Cover)
    -Different Kinds of Ammunition

Cons:

-Multiplayer is mostly dead
    -Damn Brits are even more useless now.
    Great Search Engine for Game bargains:
    http://isthereanydeal.com/?by=price:asc

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    More Company of Heroes 2 beta.

AAR: 596 Germans killed, 545 Russians lost in an orgy of murder, explosions and murder. Decisive victory!
    I must say that I'm already bored of the CoH 2 beta, I just do not enjoy it as much as I used to like the first game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Choca View Post
    I must say that I'm already bored of the CoH 2 beta, I just do not enjoy it as much as I used to like the first game.
    Same. It feels a bit more staid and less passionate than the first somehow, I can't really describe it. It doesn't "feel" right to me though is all I know.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I can't remember if I'm bound to an NDA or how anal they are about it but, long story short and without giving any details, I think the issues are caused largely by balancing - both within factions as well as between factions - and that with some tweaking more dynamic fights can and will occur with the options available.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Currently playing Miasmata, which is very interesting, and also difficult to describe. It's an open world, first-person flower collecting sim with survival elements. That may not sound amazing, but it's quite unlike anything I've played before.

Basically you have to synthesize various medicines by collecting flowers and using lab equipment discover their properties and combine them; with the ultimate goal being to synthesize a cure from the disease you've apparently contracted. The survival elements involve making sure you drink enough water (and don't run out of it in the middle of nowhere) and taking medicine whenever you require it (apparently your character has the weakest immune system known to man). No hunting/collecting food though, which feels odd.

The main draw for me though is the exploration, which is brilliant. By and large, you have to make your own map; which you do by spotting nearby landmarks and triangulating your location based on them. You can also add distant landmarks to your map by using triangulation too. Since the map doesn't have a player indicator, it's very easy to become lost - a feeling I've only had in very few games.

Couple of gripes about it though. I haven't met it yet, but apparently you eventually become stalked by a creature known as 'the Beast', which shows up now and again, which you have to hide or run from. I'm no stranger to a bit of horror in games (in fact I love stuff like Amnesia and Stalker) but it kind of seems a bit out of place in a game like this.

The other major problem I have is with your character's movement, which I can only describe as trying to pilot a shopping trolley full of bricks around an ice-skating rink. Too often I'm wrestling with the controls trying to turn, or worse, gathering too much momentum and going sailing off a nearby cliff.

Super Hexagon is quite good. I beat the 'Hexagon' difficulty after about an hour or so. Once you get into a rhythm, it becomes a lot easier to continue. I can't imagine playing this game without the music enabled, it seems to help me focus.

The other difficulties seem a bit insane, but I imagine they'd be conquerable after a bit of practice.

Finally managed to get Planetside 2 working without any major crashes and have been checking it out with the RPS group.

The scale of this game is ludicrous. It has everything from small scale firefights to massive tank battles. Definitely will be playing this for a while.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Reinstalled Wolverine. It's better than the Arkhams. Raven was on fire between this, Wolfenstein and Singularity.

Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    The other major problem I have is with your character's movement, which I can only describe as trying to pilot a shopping trolley full of bricks around an ice-skating rink. Too often I'm wrestling with the controls trying to turn, or worse, gathering too much momentum and going sailing off a nearby cliff.
    I like that because it forces me to pay attention and read the environment. Climbing a hill becomes a puzzle.
    One of the highlights of the year was when I had to decide if it's worth swimming across a small gulf in Miasmata. I almost drowned but I made it to the safe house.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Finished replaying Mirror's Edge, after playing it on and off for a while. The ending is kind of half baked, with a lot of loose ends. Lovely game in any case. Originality is a rare treat nowadays. Was a sequel announced recently or was that just speculations? It sure does need one.

I've also been trying out a republic in Crusader Kings 2. I can't really say that I'm too impressed. Placing trade posts has a nice chess-like feeling to it, but you reach the limit in no time and it's kind of a grindfest from there. It's all about growing the number of adult male family members, while killing off those of rival families. I can see why they had to implement the limit, since revenue streams would becomemore or less infinite otherwise, but seeing as there's not much else to do, it becomes a slog. Also, I have no idea how the inheritance system works, but it probably makes sense somehow. It seems a bit random is all, and I haven't found any information in-game. I like the idea of republics, and like them being there, but I don't think playing as one is my cup of tea.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Mirror's Edge // Was a sequel announced recently or was that just speculations? It sure does need one.
    "We might do something with some ideas we have oh let's put in the words Mirror's Edge somewhere to elicit attention." Unfortunately.

So, I've spent the last day not actually playing, but merely deciding if I want to continue Brutal Legend. My brain is telling me no. So is my heart. I've spent enough time deciding it is simply not a good game. What is likeable about it is nowhere near good enough to pull it through. I might start Deus Ex: Human Revolution shortly as a result.