Page 725 of 1051 FirstFirst ... 225625675715723724725726727735775825 ... LastLast
Results 14,481 to 14,500 of 21017
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    I just put 3 hours into portal 2. On chapter five (just destroyed neurotoxin) I am playing singleplayer.

So far. Funny and a bit interesting... yet what a shitty game that is. Just one long corridor. "Puzzles" if you can call them are darn easy to do and I spent more than five min only on those three lasers. No freedom whatsoever. The charm of Portal 1 where you could experiment, do puzzles your way is simply gone.
    I know people hyped co-op but SP is pretty rubbish. Only reason I am playing is to see what happens next.... yet even glados is annoying, with her constant whining.

Network Hub
    I Finished up two games this week, this first; Richard and Alice, was brilliant AGS game about 2 people in a post apocalyptic (not with a bang but a whimper scenario) prison sharing stories. The game element was minimal, puzzles being usually used to change the scene within the narrative. But the story was brilliant, the majority of the game played as a mother trying to defend her child in a hostile world (think the road), and it really hits the emotional nail on the head. Although you could see the plot twist a mile off (maybe you were supposed to) it didn’t leave the obvious conclusion any less powerful. Graphics are a bit shite, but if you can cope with that I recommend it.

The second was Avadon: The Black Fortress. Finally. I’m not sure those 80 odd hours were well spent. I loved the politicking and the questing, but the game could have been a quarter of the size! I know Spiderweb prides itself in Vast RPGs but it simply didn’t work with such a focused and linear path through the game. I spent most of the game wondering around loose ends, which thankfully did all come to a brilliant climax, but I was still left with the feeling, not of grand hero, but of a soldier way out of their depth in a world full of NPCs who knew exactly what they were doing and the best way to manipulate me. If that’s what Jeff was going for, Bravo! If not I feel I could have been more invested in Avadon or the nations of the pact if I had been given a reason to be there in the first place.

Saying that from what I’ve read Avadon wasn’t the best game in Spiderwebs Portfolio, and to be fair it kept me hooked right up till the end despite my gripes, so I’m going to give Avernum: Escape from the pit a bash.

Also I’ve just played a few rounds of the best door welding simulator around, Killing Floor with RPS folk, which was stupid, stupid fun, if a bit slow in the run and gun department.

Bought Hotline Miami, to see what all the fuss was about. Now I know. Please excuse me whilst I go and do all the cocaine in the world.

Doing a nostalgia replay of both Jagged Alliance 2 and Silent Storm. Cool beans.

Picked up Master of Orion 2 on GOG at the same time. Oh, the the customization! I have a doomsday ship design for every day of the week. I love how, unlike in GalCiv 2, you can bombard planets to rubble without having to get tied down in an invasion. Nothing beats warping in to an enemy home system and dropping All The Bombs on their vermin-infested planets and then zipping home in time for tea.

Activated Node
    Just spent a few hours playing Warlock Master of the Arcane in the Impossible difficulty setting. There's a lot of fun to be had in this game, despite a few shortcomings and bugs, but the AI is no challenge at all. Such a shame.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cptgone View Post
    Just spent a few hours playing Warlock Master of the Arcane in the Impossible difficulty setting. There's a lot of fun to be had in this game, despite a few shortcomings and bugs, but the AI is no challenge at all. Such a shame.
    Try Armageddon mode on Impossible. No, the AI doesn't put up a challenge tactically but damn is the game tough.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    I just put 3 hours into portal 2. On chapter five (just destroyed neurotoxin) I am playing singleplayer.

So far. Funny and a bit interesting... yet what a shitty game that is. Just one long corridor. "Puzzles" if you can call them are darn easy to do and I spent more than five min only on those three lasers. No freedom whatsoever. The charm of Portal 1 where you could experiment, do puzzles your way is simply gone.
    I know people hyped co-op but SP is pretty rubbish. Only reason I am playing is to see what happens next.... yet even glados is annoying, with her constant whining.
    Had similar feelings towards it. Got about 3h in and just realised I had no motivation to continue. Maybe one day I will, but whatever charm Portal 1 had seems to have been lost over the years in between games and the hundreds of shitty internet memes it inspired.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Had similar feelings towards it. Got about 3h in and just realised I had no motivation to continue. Maybe one day I will, but whatever charm Portal 1 had seems to have been lost over the years in between games and the hundreds of shitty internet memes it inspired.
    I didn't think it was shitty, but I definitely thought it lacked the concision and tight puzzles of the first.

Do you feel like a hero of might and magic yet?
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    The co-op really is massively better, if you can find someone to play it with.

Network Hub
    I didn't know that so many people disliked Portal 2's single player. I never touched co-op and I thought that it was one of the best games of the last several years.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    The co-op really is massively better, if you can find someone to play it with.
    Then Portal 2 is prime example how attaching MP to a SP has a possibility of ruining the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    Then Portal 2 is prime example how attaching MP to a SP has a possibility of ruining the game.
    You know, Portal 2 was actually designed to be more of a multiplayer co-op game than singleplayer. They even try to put in another Chell-like character but then they decided that two frail humans would ruin the momentum and halts progress when one of them dies and replaced them with robots, but I digress. Portal 2 was initially multiplayer only, iirc
    Art blog here.

Stuffed with pokemon doodles. And arse. Enter at your own risk.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Portal 2's normal singleplayer campaign is somewhat lacking, but there's a lot of great custom maps to make up for it. I'd recommend visiting Portal 2 Maps and downloading a few of the top-rated ones. Almost all of them are worth a look.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post

Do you feel like a hero of might and magic yet?
    Which HoMM is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Try Armageddon mode on Impossible. No, the AI doesn't put up a challenge tactically but damn is the game tough.
    Armageddon mode, huh. I googled it, seems to be a challenge expansion of sorts. I got halfway through my first game which I ran on Impossible and crippled my mage as much as possible with start picks ( I had heard it was too easy). I was pretty much just playing to see what new cool units/spells I could unlock. Past the first few dozen turns the difficultly is non-existent. I'm not too sure about paying more money for a challenge level that should have been in the base game. I would be a bit upset about it if I hadn't been told clearly that the game was too easy before I bought it. My own fault.

Activated Node
    thanks for the tip. i now added that DLC to my wishlist. apparantly, there's another €10 worth of DLC released since i bought the game bundled with the first DLC. it seems the marketing dept does know how to make a killing.

BRAINPIPE: A Plunge to Unhumanity is a really fun endurance runner. Unlike other ones I've played it has an ebb and flow of speed and difficulty. It doesn't go faster, faster, all the time, until you die; rather, after you complete a level it slows down again and the immediate area is cleared of obstacles, and then they slowly start to increase again, but more and faster. I haven't managed to complete all ten levels yet.

I'm much less entertained by FastForward. It's too fast-paced and erratic to be of any interest.

Quote Originally Posted by cptgone View Post
    thanks for the tip. i now added that DLC to my wishlist. apparantly, there's another €10 worth of DLC released since i bought the game bundled with the first DLC. it seems the marketing dept does know how to make a killing.
    I think Armageddon is the only DLC that brings significant gameplay changes with it. The others are just more units and more buildings, which didn't seem particularly interesting. Maybe the Artifacts DLC makes more of a difference, but artifacts and heroes were patched in post-release, so the DLC is only useful for letting you craft them, which gives you another way or acquiring them aside from looting or trading.

I really wish Warlock had a campaign mode of sorts. Skirmishes on randomly generated worlds aren't nearly as interesting to me. Even a map editor would go a long way to making interesting scenarios.
    Last edited by LTK; 28-04-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Sleeping Dogs, first impression: Judging from the first couple of hours, it definitely looks solid. Graphical fidelity, good facial animations, decent voice acting, everything's in place. SD doesn't bring anything new to the table other than that the combat is highly focused on melee. It's a bit of a poor man's Batman game but it doesn't feel too bad; it just lacks the near-perfect tightness of Rocksteady's series.

OTOH, the camera and especially the vehicle controls are a bit wonky at best. Even when using an analog stick for input it feels like the game only acknowledges 3 levels of steering, with a huge deadzone set up. Definitely doable but not feeling particularly natural and probably the worst aspect of an otherwise enjoyable experience.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    I really wish Warlock had a campaign mode of sorts. Skirmishes on randomly generated worlds aren't nearly as interesting to me. Even a map editor would go a long way to making interesting scenarios.
    There's always multiplayer. I haven't tried it myself but it might be worth a go.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    There's always multiplayer. I haven't tried it myself but it might be worth a go.
    It's not built well. You can't do anything while waiting for others to take their turns. It really ought to be PBEM, but as it stands it's just too much waiting for too little game.