Page 733 of 1167 FirstFirst ... 233633683723731732733734735743783833 ... LastLast
Results 14,641 to 14,660 of 23338
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Personally I'm not aware of any turn-based Vietnam games on platoon-squad-individual level, but The Operational Art of War III has plenty of (user-made and vanilla) scenarios set in Vietnam. Most of them are on regimental level, though (maddest conceptions take place over the entire map of both South and North Vietnam, with battalion-level units).
    Thanks for the tip! However, I've never tried any of The Operational Art of War titles. Are they any good? Are they tough to get into? I'd say the closest I can come to similar titles is Arsenal of Democracy, Hearts of Iron III and the classic Steel Panthers. Love'em all!

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Hey! I found The Countess in the Forgotten Tower! And she died after... two... hits... Okay. Quest complete, then! Either the Brady Games guide lied to me how tough she was or a level 10 Paladin with Throns on is just too much for her to handle. On the other hand, I got a real good deal when I gambit for a unidentified crystal sword. "Bitter (something)" it's called and the sell value was about 5000 and the attacks are very fast. Gonna try this one out later
    Depending on how many of the optional dungeons you clear, you shouldn't have much problems in normal, apart from the act bosses.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    I've reinstalled Age of Empires 2: The Conquerors for the first time in nearly seven years. The game's still as great as I remembered, unfortunately my playing skill isn't. I couldn't even beat the Joan d'Arc campaign on Standard. Time to look at some Internet tutorials, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by jonasinlimbo View Post
    Thanks for the tip! However, I've never tried any of The Operational Art of War titles. Are they any good? Are they tough to get into? I'd say the closest I can come to similar titles is Arsenal of Democracy, Hearts of Iron III and the classic Steel Panthers. Love'em all!
    AoD, HoI3 and Steel Panthers are nothing like TOAW3. TOAW is a turn-based strategy on a hex map, often in a massive scale. Looks like this:

Personally I find TOAW3 to be the absolute zenith of turn-based hex strategy, but YMMV.

Also, TOAW3 is the modernized version, which includes pretty much everything from all previous versions, and it's made far more accessible and works on modern systems. No need to even take a look at TOAW1 or 2 (I have those too, but that's because I got them back in late '90s).
    Last edited by Velko; 04-05-2013 at 02:12 PM.

I finished Miasmata, which I really enjoyed. It's so refreshing to play a game from a first person perspective which doesn't involve combat; I felt I was really taking in my surroundings and appreciating the atmosphere more.

The cartography mechanic was the main attraction for me. I spent most of the game just walking along the coastline, mapping it as I went. I love how you can be completely lost, and then stumble across a few landmarks on the horizon and be able to pinpoint your loction. It gives a real purpose to your map and compass, which most games just include by default and don't give any further thought to.

The movement system is also interesting, but I feel that your character falls over far too often for my liking; sometimes it even happened to me when I was running on a flat surface. It's especially annoying if you accidentally take a tumble in the middle of nowhere, catch a fever, and then have to hike all the way to a lab to create an emergency batch of medicine.

Also, I still think that the monster in this game feels totally out of place. Most of the time I wasn't scared by its presence, but more annoyed that my peaceful cartography of the island had been interrupted.

Overall though, it's a very impressive game, especially for a two-man studio.

Monaco continues to be my latest addiction - it's a lovely mix of stealth and pure chaos. I like that the game caters for two different styles of players: those who want to just beat the missions, and those who want to collect all the loot.

The challenge level really ramps up on some of the levels where you want to grab all the loot; makes you put a bit of thought into which abilities from the characters would be more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    AoD, HoI3 and Steel Panthers are nothing like TOAW3. TOAW is a turn-based strategy on a hex map, often in a massive scale. Looks like this:

Personally I find TOAW3 to be the absolute zenith of turn-based hex strategy, but YMMV.

Also, TOAW3 is the modernized version, which includes pretty much everything from all previous versions, and it's made far more accessible and works on modern systems. No need to even take a look at TOAW1 or 2 (I have those too, but that's because I got them back in late '90s).
    OK. From reading about it, it sounds like a daunting task to get into TOAW, much like it was to get to know the HOI games. Maybe I'll try it when I have some serious time on my hands... Thanks again!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    After bouncing off the Great Weapons Warrior in Neverwinter - and still highly skeptical of it's instanced and 'gamble for loot' nature - I tried a Control Wizard in the same game.

I've written more in teh Neverwinter forum here - suffice it to say I've never felt more like Darth Vader even in games where I probably played Darth Vader...

Mind you - the first player I saw was called "Death Frodospock" so I guess I'm in the right game...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I've been playing Sins: Rebellion and I must say, they've finally produced an iteration of this franchise I enjoy. I still think the pacing's off, but I think that's down to not having found the right settings for my tastes. In general it's been a fun experience, now that they've added some interesting victory conditions, some more faction variety, and have fixed many of the little things that always bugged me about Sins. Plus, it's damned pretty, but then Sins always was.

I would like to figure out how to produce a more 4X-feeling setup, though. It's always going to be more RTS than 4X, of course, but there's got to be a way to thread the needle between 2 hour RTS skirmishes and expansive 10 hour games that only serve to highlight how limited the tech tree and ship options really are.
    Last edited by vinraith; 04-05-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    still theme hospital. Got farther today than i did 15 years ago....
    So many memories. great game.

modern version could have so much potential. Indie tough. no aaa like SC2013. No fancy graphic. maybe built in unity engine or even with 2d graphics. It would be awesome. It doesn't need to be anything different. just improvement on what it is already.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Vinraith, Stardrive may scratch your itch. I've been playing it a lot recently and it's certainly more 4x-feeling than Sins, but still has the nice RTS style combat. Requires more thinking though, you can't just build a lot of ships and send them somewhere like you can in Sins (mostly)
    steam: sketch

Playing Quake, but I'm stuck on the final boss. I think I missed some spawn triggers, because I'm walking around an empty arena with nowhere to go and nothing to do but to empty my ammo reserves on the indestructible prop in the middle that is the final boss. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Vinraith, Stardrive may scratch your itch. I've been playing it a lot recently and it's certainly more 4x-feeling than Sins, but still has the nice RTS style combat. Requires more thinking though, you can't just build a lot of ships and send them somewhere like you can in Sins (mostly)
    Yeah, Stardrive looks pretty great, but I'm remembering correctly that it has no MP, right? I generally play comp-stomps in Sins with friends, more than I play it solo. I'll pick it up eventually anyway, of course, but I've got a lot more single player 4X games on my plate than I have MP options on that front.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Nope, no multiplayer at the moment, but apparently something that will be added after release. Out of interest what 4x games do you play? I sadly, struggle to break into most 4x games but Sins was a entry point for me, with Stardrive sort of being a step up from that in complexity.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    Is there a floating mcguffin you can teleport to using a portal door? You need to telefrag the final boss. Or is that quake 2.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Nah, Quake 2 was much more straightforward. Big boss, big guns, shoot him. I tried to shoot that floating thing, I wouldn't have thought of teleporting to it.

Edit: Oh wait, the location of that thing is where you teleport to. Shows how clever I am. It makes the ending rather anticlimactic, though, but at least I can cross it off the list now.

I'll tell you one thing: they don't make 'em like that anymore.
    Last edited by LTK; 04-05-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich. It's great fun even though everyone seems to have have taken a trip to the elemental plane of ham between games. Yes, even for Silver Age comics there is such a thing as too much ham.
    Otherwise it's almost exactly like the first game I played many years ago. Some new heroes, some that didn't make the cut. Tombstone is great but where's my beloved Supercollider?
    I wish there was more games like this. There's really nothing like it. At least, not anymore.
    It's a shame there's probably never going to be another Freedom Force especially since Irrational are busy with these other games. Something with Bio. I believe it was Bio Menace, has to be. It will never catch on.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    I'll tell you one thing: they don't make 'em like that anymore.
    Did you end up using any mods? I gave it a go a few months ago but the thing is so damn dark I didn't make it very far.

Indeed I did! It took a lot of tweaking, first of all to make it actually utilise the GPU and then to get it running at a smooth 60FPS. It can make your rig collapse in a heap of molten slag if you jack it all the way up to max. But when it's properly configured you've got yourself an exceptionally well textured and lighted game. The only probem I had was that sometimes the fog will or won't show up, which means you load a save and suddenly everything's covered in a red mist. Otherwise, not a hitch.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich. It's great fun even though everyone seems to have have taken a trip to the elemental plane of ham between games. Yes, even for Silver Age comics there is such a thing as too much ham.
    Otherwise it's almost exactly like the first game I played many years ago. Some new heroes, some that didn't make the cut. Tombstone is great but where's my beloved Supercollider?
    I wish there was more games like this. There's really nothing like it. At least, not anymore.
    It's a shame there's probably never going to be another Freedom Force especially since Irrational are busy with these other games. Something with Bio. I believe it was Bio Menace, has to be. It will never catch on.
    The new heroes seem really underpowered. They're mostly just normal folks with superior training like The Watchmen, and it shows when they're faced with a Galactus-like enemy. I replay the original Freedom Force every year though, and it'll always have a special place in my heart. This series needs to come back!

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Nope, no multiplayer at the moment, but apparently something that will be added after release. Out of interest what 4x games do you play? I sadly, struggle to break into most 4x games but Sins was a entry point for me, with Stardrive sort of being a step up from that in complexity.
    I go back to the days of Ascendancy, which I can't actually recommend because the AI is shit (though it was a brilliant game otherwise). Personal favorites in the genre are the original Sword of the Stars, Gal Civ 2, and AI War (which is a borderline case as far as being a 4X game, but then so is Sins). I've dabbled a bit with Distant Worlds and been impressed with what I've seen, but I don't really know how to play it yet so I can't speak for it.

I'm glad to hear Stardrive plans to eventually have MP, it looks like something that would be fun to play with friends. As I said, I'll get it regardless, but my single player backlog is atrocious at the moment!