Page 734 of 1051 FirstFirst ... 234634684724732733734735736744784834 ... LastLast
Results 14,661 to 14,680 of 21008
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    The new heroes seem really underpowered. They're mostly just normal folks with superior training like The Watchmen, and it shows when they're faced with a Galactus-like enemy. I replay the original Freedom Force every year though, and it'll always have a special place in my heart. This series needs to come back!
    I wish for a new freedom force with coop play.

Goddamn the mission design in FFvsTR is bad. It feels like a clear step down from the original. The whole Fortissimo part was awful and felt mostly luck based. Without Tombstone's stupidly overpowered possession ability it would be pretty much impossible. I wonder if I have been missing something there.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    [Quake HD]
    That looks lovely. I'll have to have a go with it tomorrow.

It's crazy how well DOOM holds up in its original form compared to Quake. Load up Chocolate Doom, disable mouse movement, and you're good to go.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I go back to the days of Ascendancy, which I can't actually recommend because the AI is shit (though it was a brilliant game otherwise). Personal favorites in the genre are the original Sword of the Stars, Gal Civ 2, and AI War (which is a borderline case as far as being a 4X game, but then so is Sins). I've dabbled a bit with Distant Worlds and been impressed with what I've seen, but I don't really know how to play it yet so I can't speak for it.

I'm glad to hear Stardrive plans to eventually have MP, it looks like something that would be fun to play with friends. As I said, I'll get it regardless, but my single player backlog is atrocious at the moment!

Cool, those are ones for me to check out, especially Gal Civ 2 which looks pretty great. I like the look of SotS, but rather stupidly was put off by the backlash against the second. It was only fairly recently, that I heard that the first game is supposed to be quite good.
    steam: sketch

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Cool, those are ones for me to check out, especially Gal Civ 2 which looks pretty great. I like the look of SotS, but rather stupidly was put off by the backlash against the second. It was only fairly recently, that I heard that the first game is supposed to be quite good.
    Supposedly, they've patched the sequel up to decency now. They're both in my backlog. As is GalCiv2, which brings me to my question:

Is GalCiv2 basically Alpha Centauri with more graphics, or is there something more to it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Supposedly, they've patched the sequel up to decency now. They're both in my backlog. As is GalCiv2, which brings me to my question:

Is GalCiv2 basically Alpha Centauri with more graphics, or is there something more to it?
    Gal Civ 2 is a space 4X game, so it's nothing like SMAC. Sadly, nothing's anything like SMAC, it's a game that inhabits its own genre. Gal Civ 2 is more similar to MOO, really, with strong AI, greater distinction between factions (every race has its own unique tech tree), and an extraordinarily powerful ship builder.
    Last edited by vinraith; 04-05-2013 at 10:51 PM.

Right, completed the Hard Reset: Extended DLC. That was pretty fun. The final boss was trivially easy, though. Even fighting Atlas was more interesting, but this time it wasn't as frustrating so I don't mind.

Flying Wild Hog may be a few barrels short of a minigun when it comes to making old-school shooters, but GOD DAMN do they have some good physics. Every explosion brings about a ballet performance of debris. Other FPS games can do physics like Hollywood, but only Hard Reset does physics like Mythbusters.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Finished Far Cry: Blood Dragon earlier.

It was fun. Nothing amazing, but fun. The guns never really felt like they had a lot of kick, but I give it massive credit for making sprinting never stop AND cover about as much ground as a car. I just wish it had kept the wingsuit and/or parachute.

As for the "80s Humor". Some stuff made me smirk, but I never really laughed out loud about it. But I do very much appreciate games that don't take themselves too seriously.

Overall, worth the 12 or so bucks.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Currently playing Inversion. Not too bad a port, and there is a story twist that could have been interesting if it were not for all the clichéd crap and non-characters surrounding it.
    "Oh, evolution. It wasn't meant for everyone."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Started and finished The Force Unleashed today. Took me about 8 hours.
    Despite all the graphics and physics it threw at me, I never felt as powerful as in, say, Jedi Academy.
    It has some retarded difficulty spikes but I can forgive that.
    Unforgivable is the lightsabre. It feels like a light-baseball bat. There are many types of melee enemies who can parry it. It's 100% bullshit. The targeting system is also very bad - it's based on the character's position and if there is more than one object in front of him, it will pick the wrong one.

The story and characters, however, are better than everything in the franchise since Return of the Jedi.
    I think I'm going to play the sequel too...

Quote Originally Posted by glimpse fade yelp View Post
    Currently playing Inversion. Not too bad a port, and there is a story twist that could have been interesting if it were not for all the clichéd crap and non-characters surrounding it.
    Play it in 3D if you can, it's stunning.
    Speaking of 3D - some platforming sections in TFU really need it. Sometimes I just couldn't figure out what's a ledge and what's part of the background. Some depth would be welcome in these situatios.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Finished Far Cry: Blood Dragon earlier.
    Coincidentally I started Blood Dragon earlier, I'm enjoying it a lot more than Far Cry 3. It is a shame that you can't fly but I'd gladly take that over Far Cry 3's abominable "story".

Been playing quite a bit of WARFRAME. FRAMEFACE? Anyhow. It's... okay, I guess? Not much strong feelings in any way, it works as expected (with beta quirks as well as F2P quirks), but it's been fun playing co-op with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post

The story and characters, however, are better than everything in the franchise since Return of the Jedi.
    I think I'm going to play the sequel too...

You are quite mad.

Also, the sequel is disappointing story-wise.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    If he was only considering the movies, he may have a point. The Prequel Trilogy was VERY weak.

If he is including the EU (video game, book, or comics), then he must be deranged.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Yep, IMO, Revenge of the Sith is the only prequel film that is any good really. It's not great, I'm not sure I'd even call it good, but there are some decent bits.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I enjoyed quite a lot of Phantom Menace. Whatever the second one was called made me cringe a near record number of times. Revenge of the Sith left me feeling shocked and betrayed that something so bad was even possible.

Really? I thought both the Phantom Menace and AotJ were pretty horrible, with Darth Maul and the music being one of the few positives. And Liam Neeson. But then they have Jar Jar, etc. While RotS has some really horrible dialogue (hold me, like you did by the lake on Naboo) it also had the fight of Mustafa some of which is great, and most likely because Spielberg directed it. That and a few things like the suit sequence were pretty good despite the other stuff. I just thought the cringe factor was toned down less.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    I have a massive list of games yet to be played on steam, yet I'm currently in the middle of playing the Mass Effect series for the 3rd time. I've only played the 3rd game once and I wanted to replay it now that all the DLC is done, but I figured I might as well replay everything. It's interesting playing ME1 and ME2 knowing the ending to ME3. I've only finished ME1 so far, but there are hints that there's something bigger behind the reapers even in that game, so I don't think the ME3 ending is as out of left field as people thought.

Anyhow, I really loved the ME3 ending, so once I finish playing the series I hope to finally sit down and write the comprehensive defense of it I've been meaning to write to once and all prove that the internet is ENTIRELY WRONG!
    Last edited by Juan Carlo; 05-05-2013 at 03:50 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Star Wars is one above-average film, one masterpiece (that couldn't exist without its predecessor), about four good games, and a massive pile of franchising soaked in sewage.

It never quite recovered from the Holiday Special.

Last edited by Anthile; 05-05-2013 at 07:27 AM.
    to wound the autumnal city.