Page 743 of 1206 FirstFirst ... 243643693733741742743744745753793843 ... LastLast
Results 14,841 to 14,860 of 24102
    I felt almost exactly like how you felt at first. Grindy, gratituosly tough bossfights, almost no motivation to actually advance the game other than fighting new monsters so you can wear their skin as hats, etc. Having no story is actually a part of the game as whatever you do in this game is a job. But a fun/brutal (cancel whichever appropriate) job in which you spend time hunting down things that are tougher than you. So long as you think of it that way, story doesn't matter. The really fun part of Monster Hunter is when you band up with some friends or strangers online to hunt down monsters together, so if you're not playing it multiplayer you're really missing out. Also, the third installment of the game makes weapon handling soooooooo good compared to Unite, especially the dual swords.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Shitman Absolution was a waste of 5 dollars. Trying to be stealthy is clumsy and unsatisfying. I tried to Jason Bourne my way through the levels but that also doesn't work. It seems I can't even methodically kill everyone because reinforcements keep coming.
    The story, writing and direction are putrid.
    All they had to do was Blood Money with better shooting if they wanted to Hollywood it up.

The Heroes of Might & Magic 6 campaign. On easy difficulty, I fall asleep after 10 minutes. On medium difficulty, the AI drowns me in a flood of units obtained via cheating. There's no middle ground. Which is a shame, because the game is enjoyable, all difficulty quirks aside.

Obscure Node
    Mostly loads of dota2, just finished Bioshock Infinite and I think I'm going to give Dishonoured a try, it has been in my bookshelf for a while and havent even installed it yet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Shitman Absolution
    Only played the sniper mission addon thing so far but i found that a hoot, have you tried the contracts mode?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    This is a bit heretical, but does anyone have thoughts or knowledge on the '360 game Lost Odyssey? It's been on my to-play list for ages, even though I did try it a couple years back, and I could do with a couch game right now. Couple of hours in again and my main worries are the usual JRPG ones:

Will the main character ever stop being an angsty twatbadger?
    Will I be expected to grind to any large degree?
    Will the supporting characters actually have character arcs?
    Will there be a brattish little kid character introduced at some point whose face is a magnet for beatings?
    Will the game have any assholeish puzzle dungeons which involve constant backtracking in a random encounter environment in the name of molesting pushable blocks or switches?

Any feedback would be great, otherwise it'll get 5 hours to prove itself. Which is reasonable for a normal game; but some require longer and the payoff can be worth it.

Ta!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Couple of hours in again and my main worries are the usual JRPG ones:

Will there be a brattish little kid character introduced at some point whose face is a magnet for beatings?
    Will the game have any assholeish puzzle dungeons which involve constant backtracking in a random encounter environment in the name of molesting pushable blocks or switches?
    This should be a questionnaire pinned in the conference room of every games developer ever.

Also, I want to see a Penny Arcade comic starring the Twatbadger, but I suspect it'll generate at least as much controversy as their Dickwolves comic.

Alternatively, we might be able to do a western vidja gaem version:

Will my protagonist be a faceless everyman, provided that "everyman" means a white male short-haired taciturn twenty-something weightlifter?
    Will I be expected to shoot war crime levels of vaguely-defined enemy combatants using modern military hardware?
    Will the supporting characters be color-palette versions of me with homoerotic overtones?
    Will there be a buxom woman with half as much armor as I have and a propensity for slathering every word in unresolved sexual tension?
    Will the game require me to backtrack through a warehouse I just cleared of enemy mooks with three new waves of the exact same enemy mooks?
    Last edited by Nalano; 14-05-2013 at 09:42 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    This is a bit heretical, but does anyone have thoughts or knowledge on the '360 game Lost Odyssey?
    Disclaimer, I haven't played it in AGES but I'll answer to the best of my skills.

Takes some time, but I did feel like he started dropping the angst banner and got both somewhat more cheerful (within the limitations of the drama going on in the game) and more focused.

As long as you don't try to go for extra/post game content, if you don't skip battles you should be fine or require only small amounts of grindage.

The immortals will, the puny mortals not so much.

2 kids, but only one is such a magnet. The other kid is the one delivering the aforementioned beatings, kind of.

I can't for my life remember, but that also mean I am unable to recall any particularly horrible dungeon. So that's a potential "no".

Any feedback would be great, otherwise it'll get 5 hours to prove itself. Which is reasonable for a normal game; but some require longer and the payoff can be worth it.
    I don't remember if that's enough to unlock the first tale of the 1000 Years Of Memories, but for the love of god, unlock at least a handful of those. Manly tears were shed.

Personally, it's one of my favourite games for the 360. Then again I also grew up in a mixed PC/console environment and played quite a nice amount of jRPGs, so I may not be the most objective judge.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    This is a bit heretical, but does anyone have thoughts or knowledge on the '360 game Lost Odyssey? It's been on my to-play list for ages, even though I did try it a couple years back, and I could do with a couch game right now. Couple of hours in again and my main worries are the usual JRPG ones:

Ta!
    While I've not completed it and there could certainly be some typical JRPG stuff later on, so far it's been fairly refreshing. The main character is quiet, but I wouldn't say angsty (he's immortal and been alive for hundreds of years so his quiet sort of stems from that rather than just being a moaner)

Really, it's worth doing for the dreams, which I thought were pretty amazing in places. Very well written. There is a kid later on, but I'm not sure if he's overly bratty.

Either way I think the writing is probably a bit better than most JRPGS in the end and if you've put up with a JRPG before you should be alright with this one.

edit: Rauten did a better job than me. You can unlock the first 1000 Years of Memories about 30 or so minutes in I think.
    steam: sketch

Picked up the Tom Clancy bundle on a whim at gamersgate when it was on offer.

Having a pop at Rainbow six Vegas which seems to be an OK shooter. The greatest annoyance is generally from your teammates being either completely pathetic or way over efficient. The cover mode is also slightly frustrating so I've been avoiding it. Apart from the occasionally frustrating enemy spawns, these are the two things that seem to get me killed in equal measure.
    Still not a patch on the earlier Rainbow games but at least I read up on it first, so i knew what I was letting myself in for.

Also installed Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and so far it hasn't gripped me. I only ever played the first game (which I still have in quite a nice looking box around somewhere) and I remember enjoying that immensely at the time.
    For some reason Chaos Theory hasn't clicked although I've heard several opinions stating it's the best in the series. I've just got to the bank level so I think it's early days yet, I'll give it some time.

The other games in the bundle don't appeal to me apart from Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter which is the real reason I bought this lot. I think I'll save it till last.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Disclaimer, I haven't played it in AGES but I'll answer to the best of my skills.

...MANY USEFUL THINGS...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    While I've not completed it and there could certainly be some typical JRPG stuff later on, so far it's been fairly refreshing. The main character is quiet, but I wouldn't say angsty (he's immortal and been alive for hundreds of years so his quiet sort of stems from that rather than just being a moaner)

Really, it's worth doing for the dreams, which I thought were pretty amazing in places. Very well written. There is a kid later on, but I'm not sure if he's overly bratty.

Either way I think the writing is probably a bit better than most JRPGS in the end and if you've put up with a JRPG before you should be alright with this one.

edit: Rauten did a better job than me. You can unlock the first 1000 Years of Memories about 30 or so minutes in I think.
    Thanks guys, that intervention was actually pretty timely and will make me stick with it for a while longer. I say timely because I just did another hour of it and fuck everything about those teams of magic pebbles/rocks. They aren't hard - the rocks die to a Wind spell in the first round. But then I'm left slowly twatting away at the three pebbles for several minutes. They can't hit back, I can only damage them for ~10 per round (damned if I waste MP on them) so it's just the most ridiculous excercise.

Unlocked quite a few of the Dreams and they make for decent reading so far. Kind of like more family friendly versions of the weapon stories from Drakengard and Nier. Everyone still dies in the end though.

Not liking the sound of a kid character though. I'm hoping I'll be suitably invested to ignore it if I make it that far.
    And who knows if that will happen. I also think of myself as a fan of JRPGs then realise I've barely played any: loved Grandia 2 and The Last Remnant; have a soft spot for Eternal Sonata; never played a Final Fantasy (beyond a bit of X which just annoyed me after a while); Skies of Arcadia (on DC) looked promising but constant random encounters put me off; and a bit of Cthulu Saves The World (although that doesn't really count). Yet I also have Enchanted Arms lying around (starring the world's campest character it seems) and keep meaning to pick up Resonance of Fate.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I got sucked into Neverwinter but the ever-longer queues for anything, the fact it's at best at '5 man' game and the amount of cheating and "pay for this or else" content means I have to stop playing it soon and go back to Rift (which is going F2P in less than a month too!)

I rolled a Cleric on the RPS server but it's just not a social game is it? There's NOTHING for more than 5 people to do at any given time - and the game is packed with identikit characters, AFKers, cheaters and beggars.

I mistook a player for my Guardian Companion (pet) last night - they were IDENTICAL in every respect - as I said in another thread, one of the pleasures of social games is showing-off your gear but all Neverwinter offers are ways of showing-off your cash (very large quantities thereof).

Shame really but I want more from a game than it's offering. I do wonder how good it would have been if they weren't blatantly demanding huge sums from the players tho!? It IS fun when it's working - more fun that most ARPGs have been for eons.
    Last edited by trjp; 14-05-2013 at 11:10 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Game Dev Tycoon Managed to move to my second office with cool 75M in my account. Failed four times before because game 'wisely' told me not to hire everyone at the same time, as soon as I moved into my first office

that is bollocks. You need to hire four people as soon as possible otherwise your games will suck. I am having issue tough with my workforce not being skilled enough as i lack research points. hopefully i can rectify that or will need to lay off everyone and hire new skilled guys.

This discussion makes me wish there was a version of Drakengard that didn't suck. Years ago I bought a PS2 just for this game and while I wouldn't say I was disappointed, the gameplay simply is terrible. In a way it's the JRPG/fantasy equivalent of Spec Ops: The Line. It's not a good game but it makes you think.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

[QUOTE=Anthile;302505]pushable blocks or switches?
    I can't for my life remember, but that also mean I am unable to recall any particularly horrible dungeon. So that's a potential "no".
    QUOTE]

Oh I remember one. It made me quit the game... some mansion with a Witch in it... I hate the pace of this game. I found it interesting but random encounters is so 90ties it hurts me...

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pigeon View Post
    Picked up the Tom Clancy bundle
    What else was in it? Endwar is quite good, sure it lives in the shadow of World in Conflict's mushroom cloud but it's very much it's own thing.

Rainbow six Vegas which seems to be an OK shooter. [...] Still not a patch on the earlier Rainbow games but at least I read up on it first,
    Yeah, honestly it feels so completely divorced from the older games but play it in coop and you'll be too busy dropping smoke grenades and reviving your team mates to care. Also BULLETPROOF RIOT SHIELDS

Also installed Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and so far it hasn't gripped me.[...] I'll give it some time.
    It's mainly the same game, but the level design is excellent, these are believable places with, the game avoids all "scripted stealth failure" if Sam gets caught it's you that screwed up. Be sure to pop your head of not the coop and competitive multilayer, it's like 3 whole games in one.

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter which is the real reason I bought this lot. I think I'll save it till last.
    Looks kinda like a linear (to the point of practically being on rails) shooter with the limited time I put into it. But I dunno.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I had a fuckload of surplus funds in SC4 and I was like

Then, I spent it all on three(!) Solar power plants and a small international airport and I went bankrupt for a while. Managed to get back on my feet after that as demand for Hi-tech skyrocketed thanks to that and my city's science geeks poping out of the Unis and Colleges I built.

I got a military base and a missle silo built in the edges of my city too, how fucked am I?
    Art blog here.

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    I got a military base and a missle silo built in the edges of my city too, how fucked am I?
    Not at all. Just buy a small police precinct and reduce its coverage to just the base and missile silo. Poof, free money.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

So, no 'accidents' at all? Awesome.

I probably have to get rid of those solar panels later for a hydroelectric plant later. It's just too much money going to the the utilities, there.
    Art blog here.

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    So, no 'accidents' at all? Awesome.

I probably have to get rid of those solar panels later for a hydroelectric plant later. It's just too much money going to the the utilities, there.
    Missile silos very very occasionally fire off missiles. Those missiles very very occasionally come back down again. Otherwise it's just a small increase in local crime as all those soldiers go on leave.

SC4 doesn't have hydroelectric. They have cold fusion, tho.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl