Page 745 of 1133 FirstFirst ... 245645695735743744745746747755795845 ... LastLast
Results 14,881 to 14,900 of 22649
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I never played DA2, so don't know how well it fits, but this certainly seems to be a case of "pulling out all the thoughtful bits of the game design so the masses don't hurt their wittle bitty bwains," which is really just insulting to everyone including the people they're trying to pander to.
    The difference between the combat of DA1 and DA2 is not as great as some people make out.
    Maybe Sanctum 2 will grow on you, didn't Sanctum 1 take a while to really appeal? (I say this more to provide succour than actually believing it)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    The difference between the combat of DA1 and DA2 is not as great as some people make out.
    Maybe Sanctum 2 will grow on you, didn't Sanctum 1 take a while to really appeal? (I say this more to provide succour than actually believing it)
    Actually I liked Sanctum 1 pretty much immediately, but I appreciate the effort. 2 is really structured in such a way that it simply can't be the game I enjoyed. Block limits mean maze building isn't a primary focus of the game, and strict turret limits (10 per map) and fewer upgrade levels for them (only 2) minimize the impact of the build phase. Add to that enemies actively chasing you and what you're left with is an FPS where you can set up a couple of defenses and then get them to chase you around them. That's all the strategy there is, and unfortunately all the strategy there can be, and that's a huge letdown after Sanctum 1's massive maze and turret optimization puzzles.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Replaying Metro 2033, on Ranger Easy this time. It's so frustrating sometimes. I must have spent an hour on that stupid Frontlines level. The monsters are awful too.
    I bought the sequel but thanks to 2033's occasional awfulness I sort of lost the will to play it...

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Replaying Metro 2033, on Ranger Easy this time. It's so frustrating sometimes. I must have spent an hour on that stupid Frontlines level. The monsters are awful too.
    I bought the sequel but thanks to 2033's occasional awfulness I sort of lost the will to play it...
    Yeah, parts of 2033 were so lovely that giving up on it broke a little bit of my heart. Fucking gas masks.

I'm currently replaying AssCreed 3. Why, you say? Good question. Connor's such a douche.
    Last edited by Fanbuoy; 17-05-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Actually I liked Sanctum 1 pretty much immediately, but I appreciate the effort. 2 is really structured in such a way that it simply can't be the game I enjoyed. Block limits mean maze building isn't a primary focus of the game, and strict turret limits (10 per map) and fewer upgrade levels for them (only 2) minimize the impact of the build phase. Add to that enemies actively chasing you and what you're left with is an FPS where you can set up a couple of defenses and then get them to chase you around them. That's all the strategy there is, and unfortunately all the strategy there can be, and that's a huge letdown after Sanctum 1's massive maze and turret optimization puzzles.
    Thanks for the warning. That sounds execrable. The shooting elements were a good way to utilize the down-time, not the focus of the game. I felt like the first Orcs Must Die was a little too far on the "action" side as well, so I didn't end up getting the second.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Thanks for the warning. That sounds execrable. The shooting elements were a good way to utilize the down-time, not the focus of the game. I felt like the first Orcs Must Die was a little too far on the "action" side as well, so I didn't end up getting the second.
    You're welcome. I honestly don't mind the preorder as much as I usually would, since I got the original game for a pittance and played it for 60-some hours. It's still a damned shame, though, when a sequel to a great game jettisons everything that made the original great.

I thought OMD2 struck a pretty good action/planning balance, but it's definitely "actionier" than the original Sanctum (and markedly "plannier" than Sanctum 2, unfortunately).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Orcs Must Die 2 went further down the shootey side, and combined with it's terribly grindy upgrade model is a significantly worse game.

Network Hub
    Decided to (finally) finish the plot of Fallout New Vegas, and I just finished the last (I believe) Wild Card quest. I also just got a ballistic fist off of a Legion trooper, and although I hadn't specced my character for melee combat, it really is quite fun to punch robots to death.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Orcs Must Die 2 went further down the shootey side, and combined with it's terribly grindy upgrade model is a significantly worse game.
    You are playing it wrong. ^_^

If you are shooting, you aren't getting combo kills, if you aren't getting combo(raises by one for every unique effect involved in the orcs death, 8 is a good peak target) kills you are stifling your income. Meaning that you need to shoot more in the later waves, generally I don't shoot at all, save for the odd charm spell/wind belt. Some levels demand more shooting/swording however.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Combo'ing traps is the way to go. It stops you from just putting down nothing but arrow walls and tar pits.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    I had to look up a walkthrough for the Front Lines level not realising you had to circumvent the whole..well, front lines bit. I managed to kill everyone before no man's land but thereafter just got shot to pieces by the Nazis. Likewise there's a level a few before that where you have to make your way through a base to infiltrate a friend, and there's the smallest, tiniest hint that someone might help you but no indication given as to how that will work out, what form it will take. Basically if you just sneak through he knifes people for you as your make way to the end of the level and things are pretty straight forward, but without any indication that this was going to happen I ended up in a few firefights which trips the alarms, and the level becomes an FPS Hotline Miami but with checkpoints twenty minutes of fighting and variable AI Behaviour apart.
    It just struck me as a game which the designers had no real distance from. They held the game’s truths to be self-evident but they were actually very opaque and poorly communicated, which is such a shame as it could have been one of the modern greats otherwise.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    I had to look up a walkthrough for the Front Lines level not realising you had to circumvent the whole..well, front lines bit. I managed to kill everyone before no man's land but thereafter just got shot to pieces by the Nazis. Likewise there's a level a few before that where you have to make your way through a base to infiltrate a friend, and there's the smallest, tiniest hint that someone might help you but no indication given as to how that will work out, what form it will take. Basically if you just sneak through he knifes people for you as your make way to the end of the level and things are pretty straight forward, but without any indication that this was going to happen I ended up in a few firefights which trips the alarms, and the level becomes an FPS Hotline Miami but with checkpoints twenty minutes of fighting and variable AI Behaviour apart.
    It just struck me as a game which the designers had no real distance from. They held the game’s truths to be self-evident but they were actually very opaque and poorly communicated, which is such a shame as it could have been one of the modern greats otherwise.
    If I remember correctly, a lot of the areas with human enemies can be sneaked through without killing (almost) anyone. In most levels there are side-routes that take you around enemies or above/below them. Also throwing knives are your friend, but it's quite difficult to aim properly with them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kataras View Post
    If I remember correctly, a lot of the areas with human enemies can be sneaked through without killing (almost) anyone. In most levels there are side-routes that take you around enemies or above/below them. Also throwing knives are your friend, but it's quite difficult to aim properly with them.
    Yeah I "worked that out" by reading a walkthrough. Maybe I was just being dumb but I personally felt that in a linear game this experimental element/approach could maybe have been better communicated is all. Also in a game where the narrative is at pains to emphasises the lethality of your environment and the safety of numbers, sneaking off down a side tunnel felt off message to me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    tried out shift 2 (nfs) and holy mother everyone rams at you lol,its like mario cart.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Yeah I "worked that out" by reading a walkthrough. Maybe I was just being dumb but I personally felt that in a linear game this experimental element/approach could maybe have been better communicated is all. Also in a game where the narrative is at pains to emphasises the lethality of your environment and the safety of numbers, sneaking off down a side tunnel felt off message to me.
    Yeah I guess you are right about that. It's funny though cause it's a game that rewards exploration but without saying much about it. I remember being stuck on one of the first levels with many human enemies ( I think the first communist level you come accross). You spawn mid-way through a tunnel with lots of enemies waiting for you in front. I died many times there.

At some point I realised that the tunnel went further back from where I spawned and decided to check it out only to find NVG goggles in some stash, which made the sneaking more easy. After that I decided I should check out every nook and cranny in the levels before advancing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    The only real difference is that to get to the next hostile in Dragon Age 2, you'd have to perform a twisting double somersault followed by five aerial cartwheels, each more unnecessary than the last. In Dragon Age Origins, you just jogged.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    DA2 was easier to play in real time than DA1 because they redid most of the attacks to be based on a target rather than any location based stuff. Playing a rogue in DA2 was like playing one in WoW, you end up with a rotation. Not complaining mind. I liked the combat in DA1 more but the combat in DA2 wasn't terrible by any means and it was impressive to look at.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    tried out shift 2 (nfs) and holy mother everyone rams at you lol,its like mario cart.
    The AI is absolutely rage-worthy at times; I got the impression that drivers even deviate from the racing line just to hunt you down ... The dynamic helmet cam is one of the best things ever happened to racing games, though.

The only real difference is that to get to the next hostile in Dragon Age 2, you'd have to perform a twisting double somersault followed by five aerial cartwheels, each more unnecessary than the last. In Dragon Age Origins, you just jogged.
    Would be fun if you got a disoriented debuff at the end of the move.

I am one of the only people who actually liked (the ideas behind) Dragon Age 2. Execution was poor. It's also the only game who made me play the main character as a mage...

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    The AI is absolutely rage-worthy at times; I got the impression that drivers even deviate from the racing line just to hunt you down ... The dynamic helmet cam is one of the best things ever happened to racing games, though.
    I found it refreshing that the AI was playing the same game as me. But the Blue Shell seemed to be contrary to the games sim lineage.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/