Page 746 of 1136 FirstFirst ... 246646696736744745746747748756796846 ... LastLast
Results 14,901 to 14,920 of 22715
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    [Sanctum] 2 is really structured in such a way that it simply can't be the game I enjoyed. Block limits mean maze building isn't a primary focus of the game, and strict turret limits (10 per map) and fewer upgrade levels for them (only 2) minimize the impact of the build phase. Add to that enemies actively chasing you and what you're left with is an FPS where you can set up a couple of defenses and then get them to chase you around them. That's all the strategy there is, and unfortunately all the strategy there can be, and that's a huge letdown after Sanctum 1's massive maze and turret optimization puzzles.
    That sounds terrible. Thanks for the warning. I had been waiting until the weekend to buy Sanctum 2, but it seems that won't be necessary. I suppose the Sanctum 1 map packs will get some renewed attention instead.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    The dynamic helmet cam is one of the best things ever happened to racing games, though.
    I found that to be highly disorienting! I could not get used to the camera panning towards the apex of the corner while the car was still going straight, and as a result, I mucked up pretty much every corner. It also led to a dozen more spins than usual as I had nothing but the canned sound and FFB effects to judge the balance of the car.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    I found that to be highly disorienting! I could not get used to the camera panning towards the apex of the corner while the car was still going straight, and as a result, I mucked up pretty much every corner.
    Come to think of it, I didn't use the default helmet cam. There are at least 2-3 presets and I think one of them had less accentuated head movement.

Granted, it takes a bit of getting used to, but I was immediately put off by the absolutely static helmet cam in other racing games after having played Shift 2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Actually I liked Sanctum 1 pretty much immediately, but I appreciate the effort. 2 is really structured in such a way that it simply can't be the game I enjoyed. Block limits mean maze building isn't a primary focus of the game, and strict turret limits (10 per map) and fewer upgrade levels for them (only 2) minimize the impact of the build phase. Add to that enemies actively chasing you and what you're left with is an FPS where you can set up a couple of defenses and then get them to chase you around them. That's all the strategy there is, and unfortunately all the strategy there can be, and that's a huge letdown after Sanctum 1's massive maze and turret optimization puzzles.
    So I've pushed on a bit (out of sheer stubbornness) with Sanctum 2 and should amend this a bit. The levels open up as you progress, and blocks become more plentiful, so you begin to get some maze building again. Also, while the towers are strictly limited as described, it should be noted that they're considerably more powerful than in the original game, and when used properly still account for 80% of my damage output. The fact that partial tower upgrades (that is, pouring money into a tower that doesn't get it to the next upgrade tier) now add to the damage/range/etc of the tower is also a really nice touch.

That said, I still have quite a few problems with it. I'm slowly coming to terms with enjoying it for the game it is, but it's hard to move past the game it should have been. No televators, no walking atop the walls, no weapon upgrading, only two weapons at a time (one predefined by your character choice), an unbelievably slow and obnoxious unlock system, the aforementioned 10 tower limit, the fact that blocks are a separate resource so the level strictly controls mazing (albeit the game at least becomes more generous as you go on this point), a general lack of useful feedback (no personal health bar, no turret statistics in game), the bizarre and pointless need to physically pick up resources between levels, no shared resources in coop, periodic (and seemingly random) timed build phases, there are just so many bad decisions here.
    Last edited by vinraith; 17-05-2013 at 01:07 PM.

I started another playthrough of System Shock 2.
    Despite having played it already I was scared all the time. I played about half an hour and then I got so nervous that I had to stop.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    Would be fun if you got a disoriented debuff at the end of the move.

I am one of the only people who actually liked (the ideas behind) Dragon Age 2. Execution was poor. It's also the only game who made me play the main character as a mage...
    My biggest issue with the combat in DA2 was the lack of overhead view. Really removed the tactical layer that DA:O's combat had. That being said, I'm one of the few people who preferred DA2 to DA:O, so maybe my opinions are weird on this.

Interesting. Found out that better buildings are being developed in zones when I placed recreational facilities. Parks and all that. Works when I placed some clinics and schools too. The commute and employment things are still a mystery to me, though. Looked around the internet about it and they say it relates to how far their workplace is but even when I zoned a lot of commercials and industry nearby there's still a neighbourhood with a lot of unemployment going on there. The weird thing about it is that traffic's going smoothly between the zones.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    The way you get high tech industry is from having industry zones next to parks and recreational and away from low tech and dirty industry. The idea is that the parks raise the value of the area.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    The way you get high tech industry is from having industry zones next to parks and recreational and away from low tech and dirty industry. The idea is that the parks raise the value of the area.
    I figured that the lack of pollution, wealthy citizens and high ed helps but parks and recreation too? I didn't know that even affects industrial zones
    Art blog here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Lots of Sanctum 2 stuff
    These new patch notes might make you a little bit happy:

Major changes due to player feedback include:

*Tower Cap has been changed to 15
    *Tower Resources now drop for all players in a co-op game! (other parts of the game have been re-balanced to accommodate this)
    *More tower-bases now drop in earlier waves

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post

*Tower Resources now drop for all players in a co-op game! (other parts of the game have been re-balanced to accommodate this)
    Thanks for posting that. I was hoping they'd make some positive changes in response to their fans. Coffee Stain are a good bunch, they just went the wrong way out of the gate on this one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Just finished FarCry 3 Blood Dragon.

10/10 would play again*

*Score being drastically affected by nostalgia for bad 80s stuff and sugar.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

I have a strange craving to play Soulstorm now and, while I know it's terrible compared to Dark Crusade, the pull of the Dark Eldar Kabals are too strong for me to resist. Man, I miss playing them. I know I scoffed at the idea of playing them once because they're Eldar but then, I discovered invisible Mandrakes with poisoned blades. Most fun, most challenging and the most rewarding faction I've ever played since the Imperial Guard. Hard as balls to beat too. Goddamn AI's good
    Art blog here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    Come to think of it, I didn't use the default helmet cam. There are at least 2-3 presets and I think one of them had less accentuated head movement.
    Interesting, I hadn't really looked into it. Might give it another go!

Meanwhile I've been having excellent fun in netKar Pro. Compared to Shift 2 it's very barren, but the feeling of the cars is great. It perhaps even does the fast formula cars slightly better than Live for Speed, which seemed to have reached the limits of its physics model with the BMW F1 car.

I'm also doing not too terrible in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, though I did lose four or five countries from the council. The combat is getting a bit repetitive at this point, but I want to see how far I can get this time around after having turned the difficulty down to Normal.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

My brother bought Sanctum 2 so i played it too and i am kinda underwhelmed by it also. What i find annoying the most is:
    1. Tower Limit, maze limit at the beginnig.
    2. I don't think that bosses scale to SP so they are harder to defeat. Also for example on a 2 way map i put more turrets on one side and defended the other which had less turrets, but when the boss came he went from the side with most turrets, but since i wasn't there he destroyed all the turrets so too many enemies came and i lost. Not really fair for single-player play.
    3. There are HUGE stretches of the maps where you can't build anything and it's right next to the core. C'MON!.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    I've just got into the Card Hunter beta, finished the tutorial and a couple of low level "adventures" so far, and it does seem to be a pretty interesting mix between card collecting, RPG leveling and turn-based battles. It's also pretty enough for a browser game.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet, although I do fear that it might be a little too much "pay to win". Hopefully I'm wrong, since I haven't investigated how the in-game money you can buy with real money affects it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I finished a miserable playthrough of Metro 2033 on Ranger Easy.
    Starting The Depository without filters was one hell of an adrenaline rush. No time to stare at Librarians and almost no ammo.

Now I'm playing Last Light. On Normal. I like the weapon tweaks. Killing feels better and stealth doesn't seem broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post

That definitely did help, based on my co-op session tonight. A few (dozen) more iterative improvements like that and we'll be in business. Still, at this points it's decidedly playable and reasonably entertaining, it's just no Sanctum 1.

GAME OVER. BEGIN. GAME OVER. BEGIN. GAME OVER. BEGIN. GAME OVER. BEGIN. GAME OVER. BEGIN. GAME OVER. BEGIN. GAME OVER. BEGIN. GAME OVER. BEGIN. GAME OVER. BEGIN. GAME OVER. BEGIN. GAME OVER. BEGIN.

.....that went on for an hour. All while listening to catchy gameboy chiptunes
    Last edited by Voon; 18-05-2013 at 05:54 AM.
    Art blog here.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Dear Diary, today I got stuck in a LEGO game. Maybe it is time to quit gaming altogether ...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Which one Techno?

I find the Lego games are underestimated in puzzle and map design.

I remember a very fond moment on finding a secret room on an enemy ship in Lego Star Wars 2. It took some searching and hero swapping but utterly worth it. The Lego series is very goos at rewarding players. I wish more games followed its example.
    Last edited by khaz; 18-05-2013 at 11:58 AM.