Page 749 of 1167 FirstFirst ... 249649699739747748749750751759799849 ... LastLast
Results 14,961 to 14,980 of 23338
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    The Eldar were always a bit overpowered, at least in the first Dawn of War (I haven't done enough MP in the second to know for sure). Mainly because the approach Relic chose was to make them powerful, but specialized. So a player (or AI :p) who is good at micromanagement can cause serious damage. And... well... it is an RTS. Everyone who cares enough to get good is great at micromanagement :p
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    The Eldar were always a bit overpowered, at least in the first Dawn of War (I haven't done enough MP in the second to know for sure). Mainly because the approach Relic chose was to make them powerful, but specialized. So a player (or AI :p) who is good at micromanagement can cause serious damage. And... well... it is an RTS. Everyone who cares enough to get good is great at micromanagement :p
    Yeah, but they drop like flies when I rolled Deldars. Mandrakes, man. Best harrasment units I've ever used. Though, it's still odd that the IGs managed to outnumber and overpower deldars but get their asses kicked by Tau. Of course, I'm talking about Soulstorm's rubbish 'balancing', here. Not DC.

I'm getting used to the Tau like the IG, spamming droids and kroots for melee while the warriors and skyranges cover them. Works so long as the melee units are distracted. I very much want to do the Mon't ka build but I ended up doing a Kauyon. Hounds are so superbly effective, it's not funny. I could cheat it by doing it first before replacing it with Kauyon. Looks like I'm gonna experiment on that.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Well I guess Action-Rpg's just aren't for me... Just tried Path of Exile and it bored me. Torchlight 2 and 1 bored me. Titan Quest bored me. Diablo 2 bored me.
    I just can't understand why people find the random loot so addictive. I just find it a drag, I'd much rather have a progression like in Dark Souls. I mean you could as well not have any loot and your character's look would progress by the level and it would be the same thing since older things are worthless anyway, why not just get rid of it. The reason why i got bored of Skyrim also, the Unique weapons were just scaled according to your level and didn't progress. And if you use crafting then they will just be OP, another reason why Skyrim bored me.
    Maybe I'm just crazy or something.

Rising Storm (Beta): Considering Red Orchestra 2 released in such a messy state, this ain't bad.
    Despite being a Japanophile not really enjoying the tone though. RO in the Russian theater seemed more "War is really bloody horrible" while Rising Storm seems to be a lot more flowery and "Die for Japan" in its tone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Reus.

The perfect game to play while listening to podcasts.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderwaterCacty View Post
    Well I guess Action-Rpg's just aren't for me... Just tried Path of Exile and it bored me. Torchlight 2 and 1 bored me. Titan Quest bored me. Diablo 2 bored me.
    I just can't understand why people find the random loot so addictive. I just find it a drag, I'd much rather have a progression like in Dark Souls. I mean you could as well not have any loot and your character's look would progress by the level and it would be the same thing since older things are worthless anyway, why not just get rid of it. The reason why i got bored of Skyrim also, the Unique weapons were just scaled according to your level and didn't progress. And if you use crafting then they will just be OP, another reason why Skyrim bored me.
    There's progression in ARPGS too. They all have talent trees, skills, specs. The joys I get from are from building characters and leveling them to try make them as good as I can. I also have fun playing the different styles of them. Sometimes I have fun just playing through Diablo 2 as a brand new character, same build, just because it's fun.

There's something satisfying about crafting my character and seeing how well they do.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by UnderwaterCacty View Post
    I also tend to bounce off ARPGs, although I find I regularly go back to the Torchlights for a burst of fun.

If you really want to give the genre another shot, check out Din's Curse. Mechanically it isn't the greatest in terms of progression and varied combat, but the metagame is spectacular. Each dungeon is only a few floors deep and corresponds to a town. You are there to save the town or let them all die trying. And with the right difficulty settings, you WILL fail. A lot. And it is great. Makes for quick-ish dungeons full of side quests where it actually feels like you are making a difference.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Yeah, some ARPGs have deeper metagames than others. I couldn't get into Din's, but what I like about PoE is the slow improvements you get while leveling and creating your build, until you get to a point where it flourishes and everything just feels right. Of course, it helps that I do, somewhat ashamedly, enjoy the loot lottery even though my rational brain screams at me for it.

PoE's main drawback is that the first initial levels are indeed boring. You have few skills, and your build probably won't work the way you want to until at least level 30 or so. That being said, rolling new characters after the first one becomes markedly easier, since you'll have the items and skill gems from your previous characters and can start messing with that stuff as soon as you get to the first town.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    If you really want to give the genre another shot, check out Din's Curse. Mechanically it isn't the greatest
    You aren't kidding, it's horrible. You get stuck behind things, your combat is boring. But the idea? Someone has to steal that idea, maybe a torchlight sequel or something which isn't actually painful to play.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Still playing through Sanctum 2 with a friend, still finding that it gets better as you go. Bigger levels, more bases (so more mazing), greater variety, but it's still no Sanctum 1.

In single player, started playing Kingdoms of Amalur. I love the feel of combat in this game, but am experiencing "new RPG character indecision syndrome" (NRCIS?) due to not knowing the system or, really, anything about the game. Based on old habits I find myself going the rogue route, putting points towards stealth, detect hidden, lockpicking and the like. I'd like to mix in some casting as well, but don't know how unwise pursuing multiple paths is in this context (it's clear it's possible, but in some games where it's possible it still gimps you horribly). Any advice welcome, but obviously lay off the spoilers!

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Still playing through Sanctum 2 with a friend, still finding that it gets better as you go. Bigger levels, more bases (so more mazing), greater variety, but it's still no Sanctum 1.

In single player, started playing Kingdoms of Amalur. I love the feel of combat in this game, but am experiencing "new RPG character indecision syndrome" (NRCIS?) due to not knowing the system or, really, anything about the game. Based on old habits I find myself going the rogue route, putting points towards stealth, detect hidden, lockpicking and the like. I'd like to mix in some casting as well, but don't know how unwise pursuing multiple paths is in this context (it's clear it's possible, but in some games where it's possible it still gimps you horribly). Any advice welcome, but obviously lay off the spoilers!
    I didn't get too far in KoA (Just got to the deserty area if memory serves), but it is pretty good about letting you swap your build quickly (in fact, you will want to do so to make full use of training).

That being said, I loved the rogue combat but didn't really see much point to stealth. I just leapt into combat and daggered the crap out of stuff. And then put a few points into chakrams for ranged combat.

Swapping your build is just a matter of paying some cash (which, like all recent RPGs, is insanely plentiful) and then grabbing new gear, which you can either buy (I never found anything really worth buying), craft (crafting gave me much better gear than I ever found) or just grab from storage from stuff you previously found/used.

Thanks for the info gundato. So is everything capable of being respec'd? So far from my (very limited) play, I've seen skills (the alchemy, detect hidden, lockpicking etc list), abilities (the traditional ARPG trees), and the card/class choice thing. Is there anything I can't take back, or am I free to experiment and then redesign as needed (at some cost)?

Everything can be swapped around with no issues. In fact, once you start having enough money to train it is a good practice to save up, reset your build, go buy every available training, reset, and then build whatever you want. That way you maximize skillpoints and don't have to worry about putting a rank into Alchemy before you get the training you can only grab at rank 0.

It is actually a very nice system and I greatly prefer it to the one used in Dragon's Dogma (came out around the same time, very similar concept, etc). Although, I do wish there were lasting bonuses you could get from having used certain builds/styles of gameplay.

Everything can be swapped around with no issues. In fact, once you start having enough money to train it is a good practice to save up, reset your build, go buy every available training, reset, and then build whatever you want. That way you maximize skillpoints and don't have to worry about putting a rank into Alchemy before you get the training you can only grab at rank 0.
    OK, that takes the pressure off significantly (though it seems like it would also murder the replay value, no?).

OK, that takes the pressure off significantly (though it seems like it would also murder the replay value, no?).
    Yeah, that is basically the problem. There is no sense of inertia or investment into any particular character since all that matters is the XP total.

Yeah, that is basically the problem. There is no sense of inertia or investment into any particular character since all that matters is the XP total.
    OK, one last (probably painfully ignorant) question: aside from the obvious massive difficulty disparity, is Dark Souls anything like KoA?

OK, one last (probably painfully ignorant) question: aside from the obvious massive difficulty disparity, is Dark Souls anything like KoA?
    No :p

KoA has more in common with spectacle fighters than Dark Souls. It plays like what I imagine Dragon Age 2 would have played like with a controller and is very ARPG-esque in terms of just running up and spamming attack or special abilities while chugging potions.

No :p

KoA has more in common with spectacle fighters than Dark Souls. It plays like what I imagine Dragon Age 2 would have played like with a controller and is very ARPG-esque in terms of just running up and spamming attack or special abilities while chugging potions.
    So it lacks that KoA sense of mobility, then? Pity. Thanks for all the answers, though!

So it lacks that KoA sense of mobility, then? Pity. Thanks for all the answers, though!

Oh.

Dark Souls is definitely not a super mobile game, but if you spec yourself out right you can dodge most attacks. And it is a very methodical game in terms of combat.

I would suggest youtubing a video of a Smough and Ornstein boss fight for Dark Souls. That should basically show you the game at its very finest without spoiling anything othe than there being two assholes you fight in a big hall :p

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I imagine Dark Souls playing like a game made entirely of awesome hack'n'slash boss fights, but for adults. Accurate?

Actually I should probably just play it...