Page 759 of 1239 FirstFirst ... 259659709749757758759760761769809859 ... LastLast
Results 15,161 to 15,180 of 24778
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Avish View Post
    After Mark of the ninja I accidentally started Hotline Miami...

At first I thought it was one of those game that are difficult for the sake of difficulty (like Meatboy or VVVVV), that I personally find frustrating. But after less than an hour I realized that it's not difficult but clever and, till now, didn't feel frustrated (like in the games I mentioned above), even after getting killed a dozen times.
    The police station will change your mind. But you sound pretty hooked already.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Way to go, RAGE!

"You, get in the buggy!"
    "Yeah, just a sec, let me have a look what's up that ..."

MISSION FAILED

Uhm, alright, "Reload from checkpoint", then ... ... ... which in id land obviously is another way to say "Restart the bloody game from the very beginning and sit through the unskippable cutscene again!"

Worst first impression in the history of gaming. Screw you, id!

Angry-Edit: Holy Effing Shit, what is wrong with this game?

Now I'm sitting in said buggy when the game freezes completely for solid 5 seconds ... and back to smooth 60 fps ... nope, freezes again ... arghh ...

It also seems that the graphic options give you the choice between "Super-ugly textures" and "A-bit-less-ugly textures but with added micro-stutters" ...
    Last edited by TechnoJellyfish; 30-05-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Personally I didn't have any technical problems with Rage other than the slow-loading textures (that tech might work for on-rails shooters, not so much in games where turning around is a thing that people do) yanking you out of any possible immersion, I would've picked consistently lower res textures than that streaming mess.

I'm playing X3: Albion Prelude. I sort of accidentally left it running all night after I thought 'hey, if I let it run while I eat dinner I might earn a few tens of thousands through my sector traders!' then watched Django Unchained and went to bed, forgetting I'd left the game running. I came back today approximately 32 million credits more wealthy than the 3 and a bit million I had before I left. Totally not complaining.

Why, Capsized. Why would you give me a gravity gun without a put-down button. And pressure plates that I have to use it for. Why.
    Last edited by LTK; 31-05-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Why, Capsized. Why would you give me a gravity gun without a put-down button. And pressure plates that I have to use it for. Why.
    Because there is no put-down problem that can't be made better by launching that motherfucker into the ionosphere and cackling as it accidentally smacks into some alien thing.
    Seriously? Just aim to put it down near the pressure plate and use your air blast to knock it in the general direction. It is kind of annoying and a control oversight though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    You are wrong, it has a release button, I cant remember what it was and i played on a pad.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    *sigh*

Ah, RAGE, I really want to like you ... Why are you making this sooo hard?

The freezing issue seems to be completely gone. I only experienced this in my initial play session, so maybe the game was creating some cache files or something. Okay.

But there are so many other quirks. Texture quality up close is abysmal, no matter what. Usually not something I would criticize, but in this case it's clashing with the overall quality and detail of the world in a very distracting manner. The FOV is extremely narrow. Again, not something I usually have issues with but here even half an hour of gameplay is really tiresome.

Savegame slots are limited to a generous 15 for no apparent reason. This is even more of a joke because early on the game encourages you to "save early and often" in a tooltip. Then there are these pop-up messages whenever the game introduces new gameplay elements. The first two occurrences I could close with a click on "Accept", the third one didn't even bother to show a mouse pointer and I could only close it by hitting Enter. And the game changes this behavior on a case-to-case basis.

It's really hard to believe that this the work of one of PC gaming's pioneers. And a damn shame, too. Because I really, really dig the art style and character of the world. Maybe I'm gonna try to "enjoy" it in some smaller doses, then.

This year I am trying to work on my backlog... Since january 1 I finished Xcom EU, persona 4 Golden, Sleeping Dogs, Darksiders, Dishonored, Limbo, Dark souls, The Darkness 2, Spec Ops the Line, Max Payne 3, Legend of Grimrock, Mars War Logs...

But I did this without any logic... I still have so many games to play, so I started another list, with some games I know I'll want to finish at some point (sometimes I remove a game from my backlog because I know I won't finish it... like Hard reset lately... Kane and Lynch 2 might disappear too...)

So here is some games I already installed on my hard drive.

Playing= Iron Brigade 7 h tower def

Space marin 10 h action
    LA Noire 25h adventure
    Trine 2 10h puzzle/action
    Psychonauts 15h Adventure
    Borderlands 2 30h Shooter rpgish
    Mark of the ninja 10h Action/puzzle
    Darksiders 2 25h Action/adventure

The list lacks a good shooter... maybe Metro 2033... and there isn't any RPG, strangely...

Now I don't really know how to proceed, smaller games first ? By genre ? mixing everything, by name ?

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Lesser Hivemind Node
    In what universe is Borderlands 2 not a good shooter? :)

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    :P
    I should have said, one more good shooter, or another good shooter :P

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

For a burning satire of 'social' games, Little Inferno does a good job of being entertaining. It's probably because setting things on fire is inherently fascinating. The fire looks and acts really good too, they must have put a lot of work into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    You are wrong, it has a release button, I cant remember what it was and i played on a pad.
    Tell that to the game's mouse and keyboard controls.

Can anyone show me some mods that are good for Fallout New Vegas, but don't modify anything too much? I read of a realism mod made by a creator of the game or something like that, which make F:NV hardcore mode better?
    I just want some simple stuff that make gameplay/questing better, the more complicated they are the more bugs they will have so i don't want to put too many mods (for example project nevada is too complicated).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Any reality in which responsive, non-grindy combat is considered a plus, I guess.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderwaterCacty View Post
    Can anyone show me some mods that are good for Fallout New Vegas, but don't modify anything too much? I read of a realism mod made by a creator of the game or something like that, which make F:NV hardcore mode better?
    I just want some simple stuff that make gameplay/questing better, the more complicated they are the more bugs they will have so i don't want to put too many mods (for example project nevada is too complicated).
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...ighlight=vegas

My guide there. They all work together, or separately. The Mod you're talking about is the JP Sawyer mod, there' s a link in that thread.

Worth saying though that if you don't want to run the gauntlet of bugs and crashes you are playing the wrong game. Probably the best game I've ever played, so that's not a dig, but it will die on you at least every other session because that's what New Vegas does, with or without mods, it's just inherently a crasher.

Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...ighlight=vegas

My guide there. They all work together, or separately. The Mod you're talking about is the JP Sawyer mod, there' s a link in that thread.

Worth saying though that if you don't want to run the gauntlet of bugs and crashes you are playing the wrong game. Probably the best game I've ever played, so that's not a dig, but it will die on you at least every other session because that's what New Vegas does, with or without mods, it's just inherently a crasher.
    I played it before and barely had crashes, i usually don't have any on all of the bethesda games. Unless i have 30-40 mods or tweak ugrids. And i play 3-4 hours before quiting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderwaterCacty View Post
    I played it before and barely had crashes, i usually don't have any on all of the bethesda games. Unless i have 30-40 mods or tweak ugrids. And i play 3-4 hours before quiting.
    I get crashes around every 4 hours, hardly ever less, most people I've met/spoken to on forums encounter frequent crashes after the 4 hour mark though. I mean when you can get back into the thing in 20 seconds it's barley a hardship but the majority of games I've played for the past few years simply don't crash, or if they do it's once in 20 hours, so given that NV is comparably very unstable I'd say.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    I'm going to write a more long-form musing on this somewhere, but it took me 80 hours to finish Space Pirates and Zombies. While I enjoyed the game, the time-consumingness of its gameplay was not one of its virtues, which once again calls into question the meaningfulness of a $-per-hour metric of value.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    I get crashes around every 4 hours, hardly ever less, most people I've met/spoken to on forums encounter frequent crashes after the 4 hour mark though. I mean when you can get back into the thing in 20 seconds it's barley a hardship but the majority of games I've played for the past few years simply don't crash, or if they do it's once in 20 hours, so given that NV is comparably very unstable I'd say.
    My laptop ran it fine (crash-wise), but it crashes all the time on my gaming rig. I've managed to make it somewhat less frequent, but it still happens often enough to seriously reduce my enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    I'm going to write a more long-form musing on this somewhere, but it took me 80 hours to finish Space Pirates and Zombies. While I enjoyed the game, the time-consumingness of its gameplay was not one of its virtues, which once again calls into question the meaningfulness of a $-per-hour metric of value.
    Holy crap! I gave it eight hours and regret it. So yeah, the time/cost metric sucks big time. The thing is that it portrays gaming as a means to pass time, not to have fun. A more appropriate metric should take quality into account.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Holy crap! I gave it eight hours and regret it. So yeah, the time/cost metric sucks big time. The thing is that it portrays gaming as a means to pass time, not to have fun. A more appropriate metric should take quality into account.
    Only an idiot would use cost/time the way you're describing. Cost/time is: (cost of game)/(how long you enjoyed playing the game), and it's a very sound metric when used that way. In the case of Space Pirates, then, I got perhaps 2 hours of real enjoyment out of the 20 or so I forced myself to play the stupid thing, and spent $15 on it, so that's $7.50 per hour and marks the game as a bad purchase.

Note that this variant also properly credits short games with high replayability.

I looked at your guide a little bit, but i don't like them all, some change too much about the game IMO.
    But i did like the performance mods and A World of Pain(this is completely my thing), bottlecaps have weight if i won't use JPSawyer mod and just use the default hardcore, Companion sandbox, EVE and enhanced blood textures, Flora overhaul(though i think it changes the feeling of a wasteland a bit too much, but not sure). Also the bounty mods look very interesting.