Page 760 of 1204 FirstFirst ... 260660710750758759760761762770810860 ... LastLast
Results 15,181 to 15,200 of 24071
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Holy crap! I gave it eight hours and regret it. So yeah, the time/cost metric sucks big time. The thing is that it portrays gaming as a means to pass time, not to have fun. A more appropriate metric should take quality into account.
    It seems to be something peculiar to gaming, and it happens on both sides of the fence. Developers expect employees to work long hours because they seem to assume (unlike other industries) that work-per-hour is a constant, while consumers like longer games because they seem to assume (unlike other media) that enjoyment-per-hour is a constant. Of course both are variable, and in both cases (all else being equal) tend to decrease as the number of hours increases.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Only an idiot would use cost/time the way you're describing.
    Unfortunately, there are a lot of idiots.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    Unfortunately, there are a lot of idiots.
    People that want longer games (and I'm generally one of them) aren't remotely suggesting that they'd like the game to be longer at the expense of fun. No one is saying "gee, I wish you'd pad this game out with 50 hours of boring drudge." The argument is and always has been "this game is really fun, I wish there was more fun stuff to do." I've never understood how anyone could disagree with that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Only an idiot would use cost/time the way you're describing. Cost/time is: (cost of game)/(how long you enjoyed playing the game), and it's a very sound metric when used that way. In the case of Space Pirates, then, I got perhaps 2 hours of real enjoyment out of the 20 or so I forced myself to play the stupid thing, and spent $15 on it, so that's $7.50 per hour and marks the game as a bad purchase.

Note that this variant also properly credits short games with high replayability.
    I do believe that money spent divided by time spent (or vice versa) is the common usage of the term. And as Goose says, many (most?) people are idiots. Can't say that I'm a fan of your model either. I'd much rather play a game that's consistently good for five hours than a game that's good for five and bad for fifteen. Hell, I'd probably prefer good for five over good for ten and bad for ten. Time is too scarce to waste on bad/mediocre gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    I do believe that money spent divided by time spent (or vice versa) is the common usage of the term. And as Goose says, many (most?) people are idiots. Can't say that I'm a fan of your model either. I'd much rather play a game that's consistently good for five hours than a game that's good for five and bad for fifteen. Hell, I'd probably prefer good for five over good for ten and bad for ten. Time is too scarce to waste on bad/mediocre gaming.
    None of that's the question, the question is always would you rather play a game that's good for 5 hours then makes you stop, or a game that's good and lets you play until you're tired of it/it ceases to be good. I'll always take the latter. Personally, I'd almost never do what you're describing (play for 15 hours after the game went to pot), the only reason that happened in SPAZ is because certain forum posters who will remain unnamed kept telling me it got better and was worth the slog...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    certain forum posters who will remain unnamed kept telling me it got better and was worth the slog...
    Is that directed at me? I played it on a small galaxy on easy. And I had Afk mining down to an art(small ships ferrying your own with drill turrets near the infinite reserves set to auto fire) and had a good time finishing it.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    None of that's the question, the question is always would you rather play a game that's good for 5 hours then makes you stop, or a game that's good and lets you play until you're tired of it/it ceases to be good. I'll always take the latter.
    That depends on the type of game. If story's an important part, I prefer it to keep to the point and have a solid finish. Sandboxes are on the other end of the spectrum. But different games have different aims. To me, what's important is sort of the average level of enjoyment I get for the money.

Personally, I'd almost never do what you're describing (play for 15 hours after the game went to pot), the only reason that happened in SPAZ is because certain forum posters who will remain unnamed kept telling me it got better and was worth the slog...
    Heh. Been there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    No one is saying "gee, I wish you'd pad this game out with 50 hours of boring drudge."
    So I'm playing Far Cry 3, wandering around, almost getting mauled by a tiger, snatching an old army truck, driving it through the surprisingly small island jungles, discovering a pirate hangout, and wiping it out with equal parts wild automatic fire and aimed automatic fire. Bing! Friendly guys waltz in to secure the joint, thank me for my service and compliment me on my choice in vehicle.

So I go check my map to see what I've accomplished: Apparently I only have to do this about 50 more times, give or take. And the first reaction I have is, "Well, that's a step up from Just Cause 2."

I'm having a hard time enjoying the storyline, which can be described as "a bunch of rich white douchebags get in over their head while on a theme vacation only rich white douchebags can afford." You, a southern Californian douchebag, are adopted in Mighty Whitey style by friendly, scantily-clad natives who immediately induct you into their secret traditions and escalate you into a position of leadership despite your absolute lack of training, skills, experience or common sense.

You then hijack their crusade against EvilCo™ pirates so you can save your rich white douchebag friends who had no reason to be there in the first place and have rightly accomplished nothing but get in the way of everybody they've encountered thus far. The natives respond by letting you stay. Hooray!~

*hurk*
    Last edited by Nalano; 31-05-2013 at 03:56 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Yeah, I've tried FC3 a couple of times now but I bounce off right after the first mission because of the stupidity of the plot (and the lack of being able to save anywhere - few things piss me off more than that in games). And I'm one of the few weird souls that actually really liked FC2.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Is that directed at me? I played it on a small galaxy on easy. And I had Afk mining down to an art(small ships ferrying your own with drill turrets near the infinite reserves set to auto fire) and had a good time finishing it.
    Yes, but it was mostly meant as a friendly ribbing. You had a much better time with that game than I did, obviously, I can hardly get after you for trying to help me enjoy it.

@Nalano

With sandboxes like that it's really all about how much you enjoy inhabiting the world. Morrowind, Fallout 3, F:NV (to a lesser extent) all created places where I wanted to spend hundreds of hours, even if I was just wandering around picking flowers and sightseeing. Conversely, Just Cause 2 was an enormous sandbox full of beautiful, thunderous blandness to my thinking that lasted me all of an hour. I haven't played Far Cry 3, so can't speak to that one.

With sandboxes like that it's really all about how much you enjoy inhabiting the world.
    In Morrowind, you're an AFGNCAAP that got arrested and deported for some undefined crime.
    In Oblivion, you're an AFGNCAAP that got arrested and jailed for some undefined crime.
    In Skyrim, you're an AFGNCAAP that got arrested and transported for some undefined crime. (I'm sensing a pattern here...)
    In Fallout 3, you're a developmentally-challenged teenager with a firearm and daddy issues.
    In Fallout New Vegas, you're an AFGNCAAP who got shot in the head and are surrounded by people who actually believe in destiny.
    In Just Cause 2, you're a fully-cognizant living symbol of American military interventionism in a Southeast Asian soon-to-be hellhole.
    In Far Cry 2, you're a grizzled, hypocritical mercenary in a war-torn African hellhole.
    In Far Cry 3, you're an American douchebag who likes to vacation in stupid places.

There are suspensions of disbelief, and then there are characters I actively hate.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    So I'm playing Far Cry 3, wandering around, almost getting mauled by a tiger, snatching an old army truck, driving it through the surprisingly small island jungles, discovering a pirate hangout, and wiping it out with equal parts wild automatic fire and aimed automatic fire. Bing! Friendly guys waltz in to secure the joint, thank me for my service and compliment me on my choice in vehicle.

So I go check my map to see what I've accomplished: Apparently I only have to do this about 50 more times, give or take. And the first reaction I have is, "Well, that's a step up from Just Cause 2."

I'm having a hard time enjoying the storyline, which can be described as "a bunch of rich white douchebags get in over their head while on a theme vacation only rich white douchebags can afford." You, a southern Californian douchebag, are adopted in Mighty Whitey style by friendly, scantily-clad natives who immediately induct you into their secret traditions and escalate you into a position of leadership despite your absolute lack of training, skills, experience or common sense.

You then hijack their crusade against EvilCo™ pirates so you can save your rich white douchebag friends who had no reason to be there in the first place and have rightly accomplished nothing but get in the way of everybody they've encountered thus far. The natives respond by letting you stay. Hooray!~

*hurk*
    I think it was Brendan Keogh pointed out that Far Cry 3 is a perfect metaphor for Colonialism rather than a satire on it becuase you go to the Island, start out out of place and uncomfortable but then from then on the game is just about doing whatever is needed to bend it to your will. As you level up the threats are removed and the game just becomes about doing whatever the hell you want on the island and shooting/burning anything that you don't like about it.

Just stop playing and get Blood Dragon some day. All of the good stuff about Far Cry 3-the pretty, the hunting, the garrison missions, the superb takedown/gunplay stuff and the amazing sense of movement-with the self aware bombast and stupidity of Saints Row The Third to justify you doing it all, which in turn makes it a whole lotta fun.

@UnderwaterCacty World in Pain probably changes the game the most out of all the mods listed there. It's a great, must have mod in my opinion but it's not subtle, it adds tons of stuff, more or less doubles the amount of NPC's and enemies in the game. Example-in Good Springs, if you do the fight at the start, there's about three times as many participants on both sides, and it's heavily weighted to favour the Good Springians.

I personally felt that NV was too sparse without it so I like it,, but if you're after a primarily core game experience it might not work for you. The random encounters is a good compromise in that it will add more fights and bad guys but only by a set percentage.
    Last edited by sonson; 31-05-2013 at 05:17 PM.

In Morrowind, you're an AFGNCAAP that got arrested and deported for some undefined crime.
    In Oblivion, you're an AFGNCAAP that got arrested and jailed for some undefined crime.
    In Skyrim, you're an AFGNCAAP that got arrested and transported for some undefined crime. (I'm sensing a pattern here...)
    Obviously in the TES world, getting arrested is what puts you in the path to greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Obviously in the TES world, getting arrested is what puts you in the path to greatness.
    Anyone tried that in real life?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderwaterCacty View Post
    Anyone tried that in real life?
    Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Desmond Tutu, Mahatma Ghandi, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Jesus, and more!

In Far Cry 2, you're a grizzled, hypocritical mercenary in a war-torn African hellhole.
    That's an asinine acronym. Also, I truly hate Far Cry 2's narrative. It seems so proud of itself to take away your agency, commit atrocities, and then shove the atrocities in your face.
    Last edited by Internet; 31-05-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just beat Thomas Was Alone. The final chapter was completely unnecessary, and detracted from my enjoyment of the game, but it is still an alright platformer with very good writing.

Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    I think it was Brendan Keogh pointed out that Far Cry 3 is a perfect metaphor for Colonialism rather than a satire on it becuase you go to the Island, start out out of place and uncomfortable but then from then on the game is just about doing whatever is needed to bend it to your will. As you level up the threats are removed and the game just becomes about doing whatever the hell you want on the island and shooting/burning anything that you don't like about it.

Just stop playing and get Blood Dragon some day. All of the good stuff about Far Cry 3-the pretty, the hunting, the garrison missions, the superb takedown/gunplay stuff and the amazing sense of movement-with the self aware bombast and stupidity of Saints Row The Third to justify you doing it all, which in turn makes it a whole lotta fun.
    That's just it: SR3, JC2 and BL2 are, at the very least, self-aware. FC3 is such an utter throwback it's jarring.
    Last edited by Nalano; 31-05-2013 at 05:52 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Subways just kicked up my city's demands ,it's going crazy. It's like 200% rise on commercial alone and god, I don't know what to say about the others. Kinda intimidating but looks like I'm gonna find more space for zoning now.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    It's been months since I played, but I'm pretty sure capturing those bases is optional.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

That's just it: SR3, JC2 and BL2 are, at the very least, self-aware. FC3 is such an utter throwback it's jarring.
    BL2 ? (borderlands 2 ? )

I only played the first missions of FC3. And I really felt like you... You're playing an asshole turned mass murderer white hero in seconds, in no way can I relate to this guy... I really want to try Far cry 3 open world but I hate the story... so far... does it get better or should I just play Blood Dragon ?

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Yeah, I've tried FC3 a couple of times now but I bounce off right after the first mission because of the stupidity of the plot.
    Exactly how I feel when playing Metro games.

Suddenly had an urge to reinstall Septerra Core.

I wish there was a high resolution patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.