Page 761 of 1259 FirstFirst ... 261661711751759760761762763771811861 ... LastLast
Results 15,201 to 15,220 of 25179
  1. #15201
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Subways just kicked up my city's demands ,it's going crazy. It's like 200% rise on commercial alone and god, I don't know what to say about the others. Kinda intimidating but looks like I'm gonna find more space for zoning now.
    Eat fresh.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  2. #15202
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Subways just kicked up my city's demands ,it's going crazy. It's like 200% rise on commercial alone and god, I don't know what to say about the others. Kinda intimidating but looks like I'm gonna find more space for zoning now.
    Subways provide foot traffic. Foot traffic increases commercial demand where vehicular traffic does not. Hence!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    It's been months since I played, but I'm pretty sure capturing those bases is optional.
    Yes, but sometimes you want to be able to drive from point A to point B without the entire Bolivian army on your tail.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    BL2 ? (borderlands 2 ? )

    I only played the first missions of FC3. And I really felt like you... You're playing an asshole turned mass murderer white hero in seconds, in no way can I relate to this guy... I really want to try Far cry 3 open world but I hate the story... so far... does it get better or should I just play Blood Dragon ?
    Yeah, Borderlands 2, where killing people doesn't matter because everybody's a douchebag.

    And how could it possibly get better? The premise itself is unbelievably and offensively dumb.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  3. #15203
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,443
    Gets worse if anything. Utterly mystified why it got GOTY from RPS

  4. #15204
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,313
    I hear a lot about FC3 being this whole "White Man Saves the Day" kind of thing yet I took something completely different from it. Jason is pretty much used by everyone he meets. Certainly by the Rakyat who didn't really need saving - there was no impending doom before Jason and his friends arrived; there was hostile co-existence,not some kind of genocide going on. The Rakyat just saw in him someone young, fit and motivated. Brother in the military means he wouldn't be entirely foreign to warfare, friends captured means he was all-in. And mystical mumbo-jumbo tatau/destiny fills in the gaps. But if he wasn't there, then everything would go on as normal: drug growing and kidnapping from the pirates, guerilla fighting and village life from the natives. There was no 'day' to be saved.

    Jason actually has a pretty good character arc. I disliked him at the start, in fact I think you're meant to. He's played as the sort of asshole who has a fully-funded gap year with a good job to fall into when he gets home; effortlessly fit without needing constant exercise; and could charm the birds out of the trees. And his friends are just as bad, as you see through the cutscenes and when/after rescuing them. Which is why as the game goes on and he changes in a way entirely different to his friends, only then do you start to feel for the character. Not because his situation is relatable, but because the guy gets completely torn between being two different people. This privileged little fucker is now dealing with a problem that I'd wager everyone here has dealt with at some point or will have to deal with - who they are and what they want to be. And that made him relatable. To me, anyway.

    (As for the mass-murdering side of things, I could argue that it adds to the above but mainly it's just a consequence of being a mature FPS in 2012. The game would have been very different without it, like the new Tomb Raider.)

  5. #15205
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    The Rakyat

    Noble Savage


    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    just saw in him someone young, fit and motivated.

    Mighty Whitey
    (What does he have that they don't?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Brother in the military means he wouldn't be entirely foreign to warfare

    Instant Expert
    (I don't think you can go through Boot Camp by osmosis)

    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    friends captured means he was all-in.
    What the fuck do I, as a player, care about his rich douchebag friends?

    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    And mystical mumbo-jumbo tatau/destiny fills in the gaps.

    Magical Native American
    /Asian

    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Jason actually has a pretty good character arc. [...]

    Going Native


    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    I could argue that it adds to the above but mainly it's just a consequence of being a mature FPS in 2012.
    That word. I don't think it means what you think it means.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  6. #15206
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    The Rakyat are not noble. They're kind of assholes in fact.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post

    Mighty Whitey (What does he have that they don't?)
    Different perspective? Not having grown up knowing nothing but the island?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Instant Expert (I don't think you can go through Boot Camp by osmosis)
    Certainly not saying he's proficient or anything like that. Just that he's not entirely unfamiliar. The rest can be filled in with a bit of imagination, especially with a European view of typical American coming-of-age (which I image involves being dumped in the some woods full of bears and communists with only your trusty Colt .44 to save you).

    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    What the fuck do I, as a player, care about his rich douchebag friends?
    You don't need to. You need to understand why he might. For example, I love the film Man On Fire but I don't give much of a crap about Dakota Fanning's. But I understand why Denzel does. And I fucking love that film.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    No complaints here, although at least they have the decency to throw a fucktonne of drugs in there to make things questionable at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Keep playing, then you can properly call the character arc. I'm not promising that it's fantastic or anything. But it's better than an Avatar or Last Samurai, which for games puts it right up there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    That word. I don't think it means what you think it means.
    What else would you call a game featuring death, torture, rape, slavery, and genocide (as a result of your actions)? Fuck me the Disney channel must have changed since I last watched it.

  7. #15207
    Lesser Hivemind Node Wheelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    typical American coming-of-age (which I image involves being dumped in the some woods full of bears and communists with only your trusty Colt .44 to save you).
    Please tell me this is a thing.

    I bought GRID in the recent GamersGate sale, and have managed to play a couple of races. I think the driving feels a lot better in it then it does in Shift/2, though playing through GRID on normal seems like it's probably going to be fairly easy.

    I've also been playing some co-op games with my flatmate: the Battlefield 3 co-op campaign was surprisingly good, though fairly short. I think the sniping level was my favorite, although that's probably because it reminded me a lot of Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory, which is all around brilliant.

    The Left4Dead 2 Versus mode was pretty fun as well, though I imagine it's a lot better when you've got a full 8 people working together all tactically like, rather than 2 people and a bunch of bots.

  8. #15208
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    typical American coming-of-age (which I image involves being dumped in the some woods full of bears and communists with only your trusty Colt .44 to save you).
    Which, honestly, might actually be a better game than the one I'm playing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    You don't need to. You need to understand why he might.
    In order for me to give a shit about the protagonist's emotions and goals, I'd first have to give a shit about the protagonist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Keep playing, then you can properly call the character arc.
    You're beginning to sound like the folks who wanted me to give Tomb Raider a chance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    What else would you call a game featuring death, torture, rape, slavery, and genocide (as a result of your actions)? Fuck me the Disney channel must have changed since I last watched it.
    Shock for the sake of shock. Howard Stern is not a mature MC.

    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    That's an asinine acronym.
    I didn't invent it!
    Last edited by Nalano; 31-05-2013 at 10:59 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  9. #15209
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    That's just it: SR3, JC2 and BL2 are, at the very least, self-aware. FC3 is such an utter throwback it's jarring.

    One day we need to make a game about rich assholes going on an island and ruining your shit.

    Then the entire game is you killing them mercilessly.

  10. #15210
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakir View Post
    One day we need to make a game about rich assholes going on an island and ruining your shit.

    Then the entire game is you killing them mercilessly.
    Fight Club: Project Mayhem: The Game

    Infinite replay value!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  11. #15211
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Fight Club: Project Mayhem: The Game

    Infinite replay value!
    "You are not your fucking grass-skirt!"

  12. #15212
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakir View Post
    "You are not your fucking grass-skirt!"
    "You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world."

    "Yeah, that's how the Yanquis see us already."
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  13. #15213
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    I hear a lot about FC3 being this whole "White Man Saves the Day" kind of thing yet I took something completely different from it. Jason is pretty much used by everyone he meets. Certainly by the Rakyat who didn't really need saving - there was no impending doom before Jason and his friends arrived; there was hostile co-existence,not some kind of genocide going on. The Rakyat just saw in him someone young, fit and motivated. Brother in the military means he wouldn't be entirely foreign to warfare, friends captured means he was all-in. And mystical mumbo-jumbo tatau/destiny fills in the gaps. But if he wasn't there, then everything would go on as normal: drug growing and kidnapping from the pirates, guerilla fighting and village life from the natives. There was no 'day' to be saved.

    Jason actually has a pretty good character arc. I disliked him at the start, in fact I think you're meant to. He's played as the sort of asshole who has a fully-funded gap year with a good job to fall into when he gets home; effortlessly fit without needing constant exercise; and could charm the birds out of the trees. And his friends are just as bad, as you see through the cutscenes and when/after rescuing them. Which is why as the game goes on and he changes in a way entirely different to his friends, only then do you start to feel for the character. Not because his situation is relatable, but because the guy gets completely torn between being two different people. This privileged little fucker is now dealing with a problem that I'd wager everyone here has dealt with at some point or will have to deal with - who they are and what they want to be. And that made him relatable. To me, anyway.

    (As for the mass-murdering side of things, I could argue that it adds to the above but mainly it's just a consequence of being a mature FPS in 2012. The game would have been very different without it, like the new Tomb Raider.)
    Found the article I was referencing , which heads off most of the points you make here.

    To which I will add-any game which has the pretense of saying something interesting or artistic that allows you to kill people without addressing that in some way or other has fallen at the first hurdle, because as an act you're doing something 99% of humanity cannot relate to at all without even trying to examine it anyway.

    Far Cry 3 fails this test for me because murder is presented as a choice, whereas in reality the game simply stops if you don't do it. You can't play it. You're either lethal takedown man, or you don't play. You're not a weapon for the natives at all because you could kill them all if you wanted to, because you're a one man army video game character. The only thing that convinces me it's meant to have any depth is because the author has said loudly that it is meant to be deep.
    Last edited by sonson; 01-06-2013 at 12:16 AM.

  14. #15214
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    The only thing that convinces me it's meant to have any depth is because the author has said loudly that it is meant to be deep.
    Kinda reminds me of directors trying to use Daniel Craig to re-image James Bond as a mature character instead of the obvious adolescent male power fantasy he has always been. The only problem is, without the obvious adolescent male power fantasy, there is no James Bond, leaving the directors pissing in the wind.
    Last edited by Nalano; 01-06-2013 at 12:10 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  15. #15215
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    In order for me to give a shit about the protagonist's emotions and goals, I'd first have to give a shit about the protagonist.
    Which comes as you get further into the game. Kind of a catch-22 that way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    You're beginning to sound like the folks who wanted me to give Tomb Raider a chance.
    Similar to the point above, this is approaching Gillen's Law. Except I'd argue FC3 is easy to give time to because there's a fucktonne of fun going on. Once Dennis has kicked your ass out of the tutorial you can go 10 hours without hitting the story, so 10 hours without getting anything more substantive than a "Eeeeugh" out of Jason. That amount of time is enough to craft some shit so you can have more than one weapon and half a clip of ammo, and also unlock a few weapons so you can have some fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Shock for the sake of shock. Howard Stern is not a mature MC.
    I'd argue it isn't. Shock for the sake of shock implies it is crowbarred into the story/narrative in an awkward manner. Here is fits, in particular it fits with the characters perpetrating said acts whom you have interacted with before hearing of the acts. That is, you aren't particularly surprised at it because there was always something slightly 'off' about that person. But don't confuse a lack of surprise with a lack of shock: it's one thing to think a person is a bit screwy; it's a whole other to see it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    Please tell me this is a thing.
    I hear you just need to get really drunk then jam both Skyrim and Homefront into your dvd drive at the same time...

  16. #15216
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Found the article I was referencing , which heads off most of the points you make here.

    To which I will add-any game which has the pretense of saying something interesting or artistic that allows you to kill people without addressing that in some way or other has fallen at the first hurdle, because as an act you're doing something 99% of humanity cannot relate to at all without even trying to examine it anyway.

    Far Cry 3 fails this test for me because murder is presented as a choice, whereas in reality the game simply stops if you don't do it. You can't play it. You're either lethal takedown man, or you don't play. You're not a weapon for the natives at all because you could kill them all if you wanted to, because you're a one man army video game character. The only thing that convinces me it's meant to have any depth is because the author has said loudly that it is meant to be deep.
    I take issue with all 3 point that guy has.

    Firstly he appears to say the game fails because it is too easy. There's a well-known way of preventing that in video games - the difficulty level. FarCry 2 could be played like Rambo on normal, but crank that thing up to Infamous and you'd get a real experience. Likewise, FarCry 3 on higher difficulties never let you feel safe. While stealthing it would still allow instant-takedowns and a bit of a powertrip, that tactic required time and effort; the amount of which implies the vulnerability of the player.

    Secondly, the point about [SPOILER] killing Buck making everything alright again. Talk to Keith once you've rescued him and then tell me everything is fine. Strong implications are given that the guy is damaged for life, i.e. killing Buck hasn't done a damn thing beyond stop the immediate torture[/SPOILER]

    Finally, [SPOILER] torturing your brother. How else could this have gone? Just have Jason beat the crap into his younger brother without a bye-your-leave, or any reason not for giving him one? Even under surveillance I can't image a situation where Jason could have given some indication and Riley an acknowledgement. And the author is also wrong in thinking that Jason is so obsessed with killing Hoyt that, even when he discovers Riley is alive, he tortures him just to get to Hoyt. He tortures Riley because it is the only path that could lead to his freedom. To present the choice of just supermanning it in there and saving your brother would make the game into what he author is trying to portray it as. Instead the game makes you play things cautiously, not solely to get revenge on Hoyt but to free your brother.[/SPOILER]

    Of course, it's an opinion piece and that's fair. I just think he's trying a bit hard to crap on the game.

  17. #15217
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Kinda reminds me of directors trying to use Daniel Craig to re-image James Bond as a mature character instead of the obvious adolescent male power fantasy he has always been. The only problem is, without the obvious adolescent male power fantasy, there is no James Bond, leaving the directors pissing in the wind.
    Aye. It's perverse really to think that anyone could ever think that a medium in which you a walking gun in which people exist primarily to be shot could ever have anything worthwhile to say. It's great fun and all, and solid entertainment, I love playing them, but it is not a medium remotely suited to express anything serious.

    It's telling that all Blood Dragon is is the Far Cry 3 but jazzed up with comic 80's camp and airbrushed chrome and pruple. What the protagonsist of both games are, what they do, is *exactly* the same. Colt can perma sprint and fall from any height without dying, but the meat of it, the killing stuff, there is nothing mechanically different at all. They're both entirely fantastical beings who posses incomprehensible killing power, except you're told that one of them is a fusion between man and machine who cost 2 billion dollars to construct and another is a chilling parable of the inner demons within us all.

  18. #15218
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    35
    WoT and Red Orchestra

  19. #15219
    Lesser Hivemind Node airtekh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    778
    Finished The Walking Dead, which I have mixed feeling about. The general story and gameplay were good, it's just some of the more technical aspects of the game spoiled my experience.

    I'm not a fan of the episodic style of some games in general; and I definitely didn't like the artificial 'breaks' imposed by the episode framing. If you buy this game as a whole series, I think they should chop out the mention of episodes, so it flows continuously.

    Other stuff like weird facial animations, uneven dialogue pacing and inconsistent voice acting (especially from the guy playing the main character, Lee) all contributed to breaking by immersion on several occasions. I really think this game would benefit from something like LA Noire's facial technology, so you could read character's moods and intentions better; or maybe integrate it more into the gameplay.

    It's a shame because Telltale have nailed their story, it's just the technical hiccups that marred the experience for me.

  20. #15220
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,429
    You thought Lee was badly VA'd? I can't say I thought any of the Voice Acting was bad.

    TellTale don't have the resources to invest in something like Rockstars face tech for LA Noire. It'd be nice, but it'll never happen. Also remember, it's based on a comic book and looks a bit like a living comic book.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •