Page 762 of 1155 FirstFirst ... 262662712752760761762763764772812862 ... LastLast
Results 15,221 to 15,240 of 23089
    Finished The Walking Dead, which I have mixed feeling about. The general story and gameplay were good, it's just some of the more technical aspects of the game spoiled my experience.

I'm not a fan of the episodic style of some games in general; and I definitely didn't like the artificial 'breaks' imposed by the episode framing. If you buy this game as a whole series, I think they should chop out the mention of episodes, so it flows continuously.

Other stuff like weird facial animations, uneven dialogue pacing and inconsistent voice acting (especially from the guy playing the main character, Lee) all contributed to breaking by immersion on several occasions. I really think this game would benefit from something like LA Noire's facial technology, so you could read character's moods and intentions better; or maybe integrate it more into the gameplay.

It's a shame because Telltale have nailed their story, it's just the technical hiccups that marred the experience for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    You thought Lee was badly VA'd? I can't say I thought any of the Voice Acting was bad.

TellTale don't have the resources to invest in something like Rockstars face tech for LA Noire. It'd be nice, but it'll never happen. Also remember, it's based on a comic book and looks a bit like a living comic book.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Aye. It's perverse really to think that anyone could ever think that a medium in which you a walking gun in which people exist primarily to be shot could ever have anything worthwhile to say. It's great fun and all, and solid entertainment, I love playing them, but it is not a medium remotely suited to express anything serious.
    Yes, except that's a form, not a medium. Games are a bit weird because the distinction between form and genre gets a bit blurred, but in any case, it's a subset of the medium.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Started Divinity 2, forgot about the lack of a "highlight stuff to pick up" button, so taking a pause. Although, it does look like the GoG Developer's Cut doesn't include the "DLC" on Steam (a bunch of armor and weapons that are rendered pointless by the time you can use them :p)

So instead, I am playing the DLC of AC3 and having fun killing bluecoats and planning to murderate George Washington. I am only partway through the first chapter (I got sidetracked grabbing chests), but so far the tea powers seem like it is going to make things a hybrid of Dishonored and Assassin's Creed. The mobility and fluid combat of the latter with the tactical powers of the former. So I like.

I don't like having just Boring McBoring Pants. I really hope Desmond's consciousness surfaces for the other chapters. Or that I find out this is all Altair's/Ezio's acid trip and I am actually back in Jerusalem/Italy.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    You thought Lee was badly VA'd? I can't say I thought any of the Voice Acting was bad.
    Neither did I. Sure, there's always room for improvement but in terms of video game standards I'd consider the VA top notch. I played the whole thing over the course of a week and I sure didn't notice any remarkable inconsistencies.

I also thought the episodic structure to work quite well in this case, probably because it resembles the narration style of your typical tv mini series so closely. There are cliffhangers at the end of each episodes and sometimes huge gaps in the narration which the player has to fill in her-/himself. That's also the reason why I think it wouldn't work all that well to merge it into one big story arc (and that's also why I advised people not to play more than one episode a day/evening).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    I'm not a fan of the episodic style of some games in general; and I definitely didn't like the artificial 'breaks' imposed by the episode framing. If you buy this game as a whole series, I think they should chop out the mention of episodes, so it flows continuously.
    Everyone buys it as a whole series; it's just that not all episodes are released at one time.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

I played it the very same way Techno. I allowed myself at most to play one chapter of it a night. It really helps drive home some of the stuff that happens in every episode and made me go "ooooohh shiiiiiiit" more than once.

I've started X-Com: EU since it was only a tenner on Amazon during their May sale and so far I like it. But that doctor scientist lady? I would have words with that bitch. I'm putting my men on the line and she has the balls to try tell me not to use a grenade to take out a group of three Thin Men and two sectoids because I might destroy the guns they carry that get destroyed anyway!?

And a great man died trying to stun the stupid energy alien so you could have a date, you dare give out to me for killing it after that man died with a rock solid grip around the only stun gun!?

God I hate her.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Completed Mas Payne 3

Not bad but has numerous little niggles (Over use of cliches by Max, indistinct characters and plotting, too many cutscene breaking up the actioN).

I would recommend it for the price it goes on sale for these days though.

Anyone playing ​War Thunder?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Call to Power 2. Bought it ages ago, never played. Wanted some civ game but didn't feel like playing core CivIV (don't own V) as I wanted something with more futuristic techs. like kraken, space planes, cities on sea...

but games has many issues. the biggest tough, something which makes no sense whatsoever.
    limit on how many cities you can have.
    As a tyrant you can have only 10 cities, as a ruler of most advanced system only 60. Previous system Technocracy gives you only 45 before people become unhappy. I conquered five extra cities and people started to rebel like crazy. which happened in 1992 (aka 300 turns before the end of the game) now in 2072 and some idiot declared war on me (cause I dropped all my nukes on Russians before getting a Wonder which stops all the nukes from working) Sitting on 54 cities...

I am playing on gigantic map so i could see all the techs before beating everyone. That resulted in hundreds of cities on planet.
    I can take bigger unhappiness penalty now but i hope the limit will be lifted one way or another with some futuristic techs otherwise it is one of the biggest idiotic features in any 4x games.
    Some idiot thought that limiting expansion in game like civ is a good design.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Continuing Grand Theft Auto IV. I know, I know, not really a PC game, but it runs better on my cheapish current tech that I ever remember it running on the PS3. The city is incredible and the characters hugely entertaining, along with the contemporary setting, it hits so many buttons that other games just don't.

Activated Node
    I just started playing GTA 4 again because of the dude above mine post.

The mood strikes me to dip into Brogue once in a while. I'm starting to keep a mental tally of how many positive versus negative potion effects I've discovered to predict whether I should drink an unknown one, and when I do drink it, keep a bloodwort near. I've also just discovered what anti-magic does. It's not only useful to cripple mages, but also toads, centipedes, and to my surprise, bats. I stood on the edge of a chasm and read an unknown scroll, which turned out to be anti-magic, and the vampire bat that was chasing a spectral blade of mine in the middle of a giant pit promptly drops out of the air, and onto a lower level of the dungeon. This game is hilarious sometimes.

There was also the surprising effect of a wand of polymorphing, which turned a toad into a dragon. Luckily it then turned the dragon into a goblin. Close call.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Started playing Assassin's Creed II. So far so good, the controls feel very similar to what I remember from the first Assasin's Creed I played years ago. The protagonist has just gotten his suit and sword, so that's nice. I'm also very appreciative of Ubisoft's decision to include the Italian voice acting.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Just tried out Sonic Generations, it mostly feels like how my rose tinted memories of Sonic 2 and 3 felt, I'm not sure if its as pretty as & Knuckles though. The "new sonic" and the unlock stuff is all weird to me, but I'll try it out for now, its not offensive to me.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Started playing Assassin's Creed II. So far so good, the controls feel very similar to what I remember from the first Assasin's Creed I played years ago. The protagonist has just gotten his suit and sword, so that's nice. I'm also very appreciative of Ubisoft's decision to include the Italian voice acting.
    You know, I tried Assassin's Creed I and it just didn't grab me. Although I did like the feel that I could roam about, my limited abilities and its stray from historical accuracy just drew me away.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    Finished The Walking Dead, which I have mixed feeling about. The general story and gameplay were good, it's just some of the more technical aspects of the game spoiled my experience.

Other stuff like weird facial animations, uneven dialogue pacing and inconsistent voice acting (especially from the guy playing the main character, Lee) all contributed to breaking by immersion on several occasions. I really think this game would benefit from something like LA Noire's facial technology, so you could read character's moods and intentions better; or maybe integrate it more into the gameplay.

It's a shame because Telltale have nailed their story, it's just the technical hiccups that marred the experience for me.
    I know exactly what you mean. Im in the middle of Walking Dead also, and now I might not pick it back up to play. I hate how the play dissolve into "just getting to that next checkpoint" mentality. Episodic as you say.

I like minsweeper.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Which comes as you get further into the game. Kind of a catch-22 that way.
    No, it's called terrible storytelling. And there is no saving this douchebag.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Started Sleeping dogs and so far (after 4 hours) I find it to be a rather satisfying open world game. The open world stuff (collectibles, side missions) not only don't get in the way of the main story (in most open world games these activities tend to ruin the pacing), but they feel like they are part of it.

I hope it won't disappoint me later on, but from what I've read so far (in this forum, mostly) I think this won't be the case.

Sleeping Dogs remains pretty much the same throughout the game. The combat and driving is the same, but you get cool new moves to perform and combo together against bigger groups of enemies and newer types.

The story just gets better. Apart from some characters who are totally pointless it's got good characters and a good story. The DLC story packs are worth a look. They're nothing to do with the story, but rather just put the main character in a different type of movie.

In the main game, you're in a cop action movie. In the DLCs the movie types are horror, kung fu and spy.

Steam ID