Page 767 of 1162 FirstFirst ... 267667717757765766767768769777817867 ... LastLast
Results 15,321 to 15,340 of 23225
    Obscure Node
    Been playing Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes, (Man i hate typing that name out) and I am loving it. Its scratched the rpg/turn based strategy itch that has been left unsatisfied far too long.

One question though.. is expansion through creating new cities encouraged in this game? All the AI seem to be kicking my butt when it comes to expansion.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattsanta View Post
    Been playing Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes, (Man i hate typing that name out) and I am loving it. Its scratched the rpg/turn based strategy itch that has been left unsatisfied far too long.

One question though.. is expansion through creating new cities encouraged in this game? All the AI seem to be kicking my butt when it comes to expansion.
    Broadly speaking, expansion seems to be a good idea. But you need to manage it reasonably. Every new city appears to give a global unrest bonus (I think 3% in all cities apart from your capital), so reckless expansion before your cities have clerics and bell towers is probably dangerous. You can sometimes observe the AI expand faster than it can deal with the unrest and suffer for it (on difficulties where it doesn't cheat like mad). With this in mind, there's a limit to how many cities it's worth building, but except on huge maps I imagine this limit is smaller than the number of acceptable city sites available to you.

Also bear in mind that expansion requires spending population to build pioneers now, so you need to choose the correct city to build your pioneer. Typically this should be a city that doesn't have enough food to reach its next level anyway right now.

Aggressively building a few cities very quickly seems to be a good idea: the unrest penalty is not a problem for your first few cities, and you typically don't have enough food to get many of your cities to level 3 at this point so the "lost" population isn't really lost.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Avish View Post
    Gave Warlock: Master of the arcane, another chance. And after a couple of hours it just feels like a poor man's, fantasy themed and unfinished civilization clone.

I don't know why, but it's just not as fun or addicting as Civ5 (I only played 5 and 2, some 20 years ago. I think).
    Don't think of it as a 4x game (it isn't). Think of it as more like a HoMM or Disciples game with a few 4x-elements.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Just finisehd The Walking Dead. Need more of it. Also, I'm REALLY glad I managed to avoid spoilers. Great story, and great decision illusion. Overall, I think it's one of the best games I've played lately.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Broadly speaking, expansion seems to be a good idea. But you need to manage it reasonably. Every new city appears to give a global unrest bonus (I think 3% in all cities apart from your capital), so reckless expansion before your cities have clerics and bell towers is probably dangerous. You can sometimes observe the AI expand faster than it can deal with the unrest and suffer for it (on difficulties where it doesn't cheat like mad). With this in mind, there's a limit to how many cities it's worth building, but except on huge maps I imagine this limit is smaller than the number of acceptable city sites available to you.

Also bear in mind that expansion requires spending population to build pioneers now, so you need to choose the correct city to build your pioneer. Typically this should be a city that doesn't have enough food to reach its next level anyway right now.

Aggressively building a few cities very quickly seems to be a good idea: the unrest penalty is not a problem for your first few cities, and you typically don't have enough food to get many of your cities to level 3 at this point so the "lost" population isn't really lost.

Thank you very much! This will give me some things to think about in the starting of my next game, the tutorial seems to not explain a whole lot, this is my first time to the series.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattsanta View Post
    Thank you very much! This will give me some things to think about in the starting of my next game, the tutorial seems to not explain a whole lot, this is my first time to the series.
    I should mention that everything I've said is based on experience as an Empire. I haven't played as a Kingdom in Legendary Heroes yet. I believe my post applies to Kingdoms too but I can't be certain.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    i got burned by HOMM3 so no more.

i hear to the moon is a short game so i think ill beat it tomorrow.

I had the English Country Tune demo for a while but I was never able to finish it. I'm faring much, much better in the full game. The game's not unlike navigating a maze; if you identify enough dead ends, you'll eventually find the only possible exit. Despite being one puzzle:one solution I quite like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    i hear to the moon is a short game so i think ill beat it tomorrow.
    Yes, do it!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Playing Sword and Swordcery on my mobile from the Android Humble Bundle I got ages ago for waking mars. It'd probably be better on a tablet thingum but I don't own one of them. Only finished session one but I can see me plugging away at it I need to remember to pack headphones for longer bus journeys.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Anyone want to CO-op in Saints Row the Third? I posted in the sociability thread but it looks lonely. I am Stanley St. FUNeral if you do. On Steam, I mean. That's my name.

Gone back to 7 Grand Steps now that it's not in beta anymore. I haven't got far enough in to see how interesting the consequences of your actions are, but it's very good at sucking me in. It feels like a casual game in terms of effort expended each turn, but it has, or seems to have, more depth to it. Also, the art is nice.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Anyone want to CO-op in Saints Row the Third? I posted in the sociability thread but it looks lonely. I am Stanley St. FUNeral if you do. On Steam, I mean. That's my name.
    Sure, hit me up.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Sure, hit me up.
    Sorry, ending up calling Juarez instead and missed this, some other time hopefully?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Sorry, ending up calling Juarez instead and missed this, some other time hopefully?
    Ended up playing Company of Heroes 2 and forgot I even offered, so it's all good.

Consequently, Steam just advertised Saints Row 4 to me, complete with the "'Merica Weapon," which looks like about eighteen weapons strapped together.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I placed a couple of seaports nearby the Industrial zone since nobody's smart enough to transport goods to frieght trains even when I placed it just accross the road. It's good that this have reduced frieght trips and, thankfully enough, gave a huge boost to the commercial sectors of my city but not without the expense of having even the Hi-Tech industrials to produce high amounts of pollution. Compared to the ones I zoned near the city limits, this zone has been puffing out sick green smoke like nobody's business.

Also, I managed to get BF:BC2 working on my shiny new laptop. Framerate's crap on this and it's running slower than on a console, even on low settings. The sound mixing and the destruction mechanics is just brill, tho
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I need to admit i started enjoying GTA4 again,played in at least 5-6 hours this week.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    So, Stardrive traits. Don't even show up to the party if you haven't picked Huge Homeworld. High population planets are the best resource in the game, especially when you research tech like production and credit boosts per colonist.

I picked the negative trait Ponderous which has a -3 cost (gives me 3 more positive points to spend). All fighters take 25% more damage than normal. But... I also took skilled engineers for a +2 cost which gives all my ships 20% more hitpoints. So basically I cheated the negative trait and got a free point out of it, more or less entirely negating the extra damage I would've taken from Ponderous, plus giving a 20% health bonus to any ship that's not a fighter. This almost feels like an exploit, but I'll take any advantage I can get.

In my new game I've been left to my own devices and had the best randomly generated luck so far - three very close systems, each with a high population world with decent food and production. This is the first time I've gotten around to building a fleet before being wiped out by the robot things.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Tried the Gunpoint demo last night. Quite fun, but I'll wait for a better sale/the inevitable bundle. I had fun, but I don't really see it getting much deeper, just much broader.

Been playing Divinity 2 in anticipation of Original Sin and Dragon Commander. Not the greatest game, but enjoyable. And on a related note: I always thought Larian disowned Beyond Divinity. Didn't realize it was actually part of the official timeline.

On console front: Probably gonna start up Armored Core 4 again. I positively loved the first two Armored Core serieses (1 and 2), but kept bouncing off of 3. 4 is quite fun from previous experience, I just hate the controls. A mixture of limitations of the PS3 controller and the layout means I keep turning off my targeting system when I most need it (while circle strafing an enemy core).

On a related note: God damn it, the first two serieses need to get put on the PSN. I want to go after Hustler One and Leos Klein again.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    Humble Bundle 8 related gaming:

Played, completed, mostly-loved Thomas Was Alone (although it's one of those games where I'm not sure if I loved the game or the music/narration/etc).
    Bounced completely off Hotline Miami (music great, but I really strongly disliked the twitch gameplay)
    Currently enjoying working through English Country Tune (for some reason, the "larva" levels took some time for my brain to be happy with, but the later non-larva levels are all going pretty well and enjoyably. I should play more puzzle games.).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by aoanla View Post
    Humble Bundle 8 related gaming:

Played, completed, mostly-loved Thomas Was Alone (although it's one of those games where I'm not sure if I loved the game or the music/narration/etc).
    Bounced completely off Hotline Miami (music great, but I really strongly disliked the twitch gameplay)
    Currently enjoying working through English Country Tune (for some reason, the "larva" levels took some time for my brain to be happy with, but the later non-larva levels are all going pretty well and enjoyably. I should play more puzzle games.).
    I enjoyed whale so much more than larva. I have one left. Also, I thought the final level of Thomas was Alone was entirely superfluous.
    Last edited by Internet; 09-06-2013 at 05:07 AM.