Page 774 of 1136 FirstFirst ... 274674724764772773774775776784824874 ... LastLast
Results 15,461 to 15,480 of 22712
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopig View Post
    Risen :) (well I liked it anyway)
    I liked it quite a bit for the first 20 hours. It never did match up to Gothic II. I've heard that the second one doesn't either.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    I'm replaying Dragon Age Origins with all the DLC and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it, I thought it would get stale quickly, but no. Granted, I'm making it as easy as possible since I'm just interested in seeing new stories and lore, but still - once you start to dig deeper, you can see how Bioware did attempt to make a complex and interesting world.

Looking forward to playing Awakening and even the much-maligned DA2 - haven't played either.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    @Faldrath.

Deep roads. FUCKING deep roads. The whole dwarf city part was stupid imo

Re. Drox Operative, I enjoyed the demo to the extent that it's on my "buy" list. I did find it a bit of a pity that the random enemies you kill in basic missions don't have any character or motivation, given that the rest of the races have lives of their own whether you choose to intervene or not. It's only a minor quibble - the game is pretty neat.

Re. Total War, maybe if someone gifted it to you it'd show up in your account, and you could buy them something of equal value? You're probably better off doing this with someone who isn't paying crazy European prices - it's showing as 30 euro for me.

Edit - if the versions other vendors sell are Steam keys, that sounds like a much better option.
    Last edited by Pertusaria; 17-06-2013 at 07:39 PM.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    I'm replaying Dragon Age Origins with all the DLC and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it, I thought it would get stale quickly, but no. Granted, I'm making it as easy as possible since I'm just interested in seeing new stories and lore, but still - once you start to dig deeper, you can see how Bioware did attempt to make a complex and interesting world.

Looking forward to playing Awakening and even the much-maligned DA2 - haven't played either.
    For when the time comes, know that using the Skip The Fade mod is nothing to be ashamed of. In fact it increases my enjoyment of DA:O immeasurably.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Yeah, I know that people usually hate the Deep Roads and the Fade, but I honestly don't have bad memories of them (nor good memories, though - I really don't quite remember them). But, as I said, I'm playing on easy, using all the DLC overpowered items... I'm not playing this for any gameplay challenge, just to see the story unfold and discover things I missed earlier. If anything gets annoying, I'll just turn god mode on or something.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I liked the Fade. It was not unlike some of the dungeons of Mask of the Betrayer, but, y'know, with a far better GUI.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    The Fade was pretty good I thought. The Deep Roads, it's not as bad as some people make out but until you start getting to some of the ruins it's pretty unremarkable and samey.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    While deep roads pissed me greatly (especially as I decided to take that stupid dwarf with me.) the fade was pretty fun. didn't know people hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    The Fade was pretty good I thought. The Deep Roads, it's not as bad as some people make out but until you start getting to some of the ruins it's pretty unremarkable and samey.
    that's the problem. DR were fairly long quest (no idea how long but it felt like it took ages) full of boring and samish.
    and the storyline during that quest is the same. it was really a chore to go through the whole section even the ruins.
    Last edited by Lukasz; 17-06-2013 at 08:15 PM.

The reason why people hate the Fade is because it's only really fun the first time around. Then again, I'm the only person in the world who liked the Deep Roads.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    The reason why people hate the Fade is because it's only really fun the first time around. Then again, I'm the only person in the world who liked the Deep Roads.
    I liked pretty much all of Dragon Age and certainly didn't hate any part of it. Maybe the Deep Roads were interesting to me because I'm partial to dwarves.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    @Faldrath.

Deep roads. FUCKING deep roads. The whole dwarf city part was stupid imo
    My favourite part. Orzammar really felt like this once great Imperial city wasted and isolated by a massive subterannean war, The Deep Roads themselves felt enormous and swarming with Dark Spawn and suitably deep. Poor Ruck : (

Granted, the illusion was spoiled on account of me being a godlike being incapable of being harmed by any of them but as far as lore and design went they remain excellent. Obviously a Mines of Moria Rip Off, but they really felt like the Mines of Moria which is a damn fine achivement.

The Fade was great first time round but once you know the tricks it's a bit of a bore. A lot of the intial appeal comes from the WTF element of it all, it nicley ties in with the narrative and is generally disorientating and interesting to work out, but second time round it's just "The Fade bit", a chore to be completed as quickly as possible.

My least favourite part is the mountain fortress before Andraste's Ashes. Takes so long without much pay off. Also the drakes there make it irritating if you're not up to a decent level.

The Bracillian Forest, Tower, Redcliffe, Orzammar and bit before the Landsmeet are top notch RPGing in my opinion though.
    Last edited by sonson; 17-06-2013 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I liked it quite a bit for the first 20 hours. It never did match up to Gothic II. I've heard that the second one doesn't either.

The second one doesn't match up to the first. It was enjoyable if you tried not to think of it as a sequel, because as a sequel it made no sense, but on it's own it aint too bad.

I only played about an hour or two of Gothic 3, I keep restarting it then going onto other games.
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopig View Post
    The second one doesn't match up to the first. It was enjoyable if you tried not to think of it as a sequel, because as a sequel it made no sense, but on it's own it aint too bad.

I only played about an hour or two of Gothic 3, I keep restarting it then going onto other games.
    The second one has more options, the same intricate terrain creation, and lots of nice little touches. What don't you like about it? The third one really messed up combat. If you play it again, just cheat and give yourself the level five spells. Those are fun. Some, like time stop, look really, really cool.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Been delving into the last Humble Bundle. Thoughts below.

Thomas Was Alone: Was what I bought the bundle for. Really enjoyed its four or so hours. Not without its flaws; the controls/clipping were a little finicky on occasion (this was a minor issue that only cause annoyance on a couple of occasions), bits with mechanics other games had done a bit tighter (hello VVVVVV) had me wondering why they were there and the pacing was slightly off with most of the particularly satisfying puzzles (the ones where you say "a-ha!") being concentrated in the middle part of the game with the start being a bit too easy and the very last section feeling a bit like it had run out of ideas and was really on padding out the mechanics and hoping charm would see it through. Fortunately charm is what the game has in abundance. The writing is great, managing to imbue simple shapes with distinct characters and the narrative's simplicity won me over. It would have been all too easy to pull a Braid and try and make some grand statement that perhaps the narrative wasn't quite capable of holding up, but keeping things straightforward was definitely a strength here rather than a weakness. Worth the price of admission and would definitely recommend it.

Little Inferno - Err, the art is cure I guess. I'm sure it has something to say and it might do it well but the fact that I liked World of Goo isn't enough to see me drudge through the turgid experience of chucking things in the fire, buying more stuff etc. It's the gradual upgrade thing that Porpentine was having a go at in the free indie games column this weekend and while I have nothing particularly against it I need something a bit more engaging to keep me interested.

English Country Tune - In terms of mechanics it's the best thing in the bundle but by far lacks the character of the two previously mentioned games, coming off as rather sterile in comparison. Doesn't matter though, the puzzles are excellent. I sense it's a game that is going to get too difficult for me sooner rather than later, but for now I'm enjoying the constant drip feed of making me feel clever and it's quite relaxing having a go at a few puzzles, leaving it for a while when stuck and coming back to it a few days later. Can certainly see me playing this on and off for a while and even if I do hit the difficulty ceiling it'll still have been well worth playing.

Capzised - Hated it. Found it an awkward bastard to control. In the interests of positivity, the art is rather pretty.

Intrusion 2 -- Seems I don't like arcade platform shooters with mouse aim. Easy enough to control this time, just found it boring.

Still to try the other things in there, there's a couple that I'm not interested in at all but I am intrigued about Dear Esther after how divided opinions on it have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    The second one has more options, the same intricate terrain creation, and lots of nice little touches. What don't you like about it? The third one really messed up combat. If you play it again, just cheat and give yourself the level five spells. Those are fun. Some, like time stop, look really, really cool.
    Sorry, I meant Risen. lol
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I liked the Fade. It was not unlike some of the dungeons of Mask of the Betrayer, but, y'know, with a far better GUI.
    Similar to the Coven bits; but where MotB made them full of detail and story elements, DA:O just has this slog through a boring dungeon with shapeshift elements. Although at least the latter didn't have a goddamn Mastermind game involving devils, demons and levels of hell. Becuase fuck that guy Obsidian.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Similar to the Coven bits; but where MotB made them full of detail and story elements, DA:O just has this slog through a boring dungeon with shapeshift elements. Although at least the latter didn't have a goddamn Mastermind game involving devils, demons and levels of hell. Becuase fuck that guy Obsidian.
    To be fair, though, there were a lot of tips to even the score with that game. Straight from the programmer's notes:

*** Notes on number of posssibilities ***
    Normal MasterMind has 6^4 = 1296 possibilities, and 10 guesses
    Hells has 9^4 = 6561 possibilities.

Notes: The player can learn some additional info about what things the demon will pick:
    - he never chooses Avernus, the first plane of hell - 8^4 = 4096 possibilities
    - he never chooses a duplicate in his combination - 9P4 = 3024 possibilities
    - he will always choose Nessus, the last plane of hell, first - 9^3 = 729 possibilities

With all info this becomes 7P3 = 210 possibilities
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The main problem with the Fade section is, like most things in Dragon Age, it's a bit long. Most parts of the game went on just a little bit too long. Not by much, but enough to notice.

I can't remember having a strong opinion on the Deep Roads, apart from when you get near the end where it had good atmosphere. I was surprised by how hated it was. But then, I think I enjoyed playing the game more than most.

Orzammar is potentially interesting. The dwarf culture is rather interesting. It is fairly easy to miss, though, if you don't like dwarfs much in video games, like me. But playing the two dwarf origins made me more interested and I was impressed with the ideas.
    Last edited by NathanH; 18-06-2013 at 12:04 AM.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I can't remember having a strong opinion on the Deep Roads, apart from when you get near the end where it had good atmosphere. I was surprised by how hated it was.
    I mostly remember that I kept getting lost and I couldn't figure out how it was possible for me to get lost, what with the map and all.
    I should replay it. I rather enjoyed it, except I played it during a period of time where I couldn't concentrate for very long. More focus would probably make it even more enjoyable.

Thirty hours into my S.P.A.Z. replay. I don't feel quite ready for the inner core, but most of the outer systems are pushovers now, so it's starting to feel kind of grindy.