Page 775 of 1239 FirstFirst ... 275675725765773774775776777785825875 ... LastLast
Results 15,481 to 15,500 of 24766
  1. #15481
    Lesser Hivemind Node Drayk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Europe's capital
    Posts
    591
    I am hooked by Mark of the Ninja... First time a stealth game makes me want to be a ruthless bastard... I am killing everyone on sight. I finished chapter 6 last night (the castle with the catacombs) and I took a morbid pleasure of killing guards and make them run screaming like little girls, killing each other...

    I made a pretty good score too, even if I wasn't really looking for it.

    I think I might even play a ghost playtrough once I am finished with the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

  2. #15482
    Lesser Hivemind Node Oshada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Lonely Mountain
    Posts
    702
    I have to agree with the Orzammar fans, that remains my favourite city (but I also like the ruins in the Ashes of Andraste questline). I hope the Inquisition lets us go around Thedas a bit more, even outside Ferelden.

  3. #15483
    Lesser Hivemind Node Leopig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Bridgend, Wales
    Posts
    684
    After dipping my toe into Dota with Awesomenaughts, going to dive in and try League of Legends after failing miserably at Infinite Crisis.
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

  4. #15484
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,336
    Loved Orzammar. Most of the other places were very traditional, but there aren't too many games that not only throw you down into a living breathing Dwarven hold, but immerse you in their society too.

    There's this interesting subplot for the Dwarven noble where the person you slept with at the beginning of the game (or one of the two, dwarven constitution is legendary after all) tells you she's pregnant and curses you for being exiled because she can no longer benefit from your title. From then on you can either tell her to piss off, say you're resigned to your fate with the wardens, or swear you'll get your position back.

    Unfortunately I chose the middle option, not realising that I could in fact get my position back. When my lineage was restored, I came back to tell her but she was stuck on what I said to her earlier.

  5. #15485
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    2,000

    this one. got DS modded for Tyranids and I'm both confused and amazed on how the Tyranids play. Glorious, glorious gaunt/warrior spam with a bit of genestealers. I hated the sound effects, though. That seems to be the weakest point of this race mod
    Art blog here.

    Doodles poodles sheboodles

    Watch me fail as Nobunaga

  6. #15486
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    369
    So I finished Fallout: New Vegas finally. I chose the independent ending, which actually turned out better than expected. Great game. After that I felt like playing something else, but I didn't necessarily feel like starting something too in depth, so I started Dear Esther and finished it in one sitting. Man that game is short. I still don't know how I feel about it; I know that I enjoyed it (and the caves chapter was probably the prettiest thing that I've ever seen in a video game), but I have reservations. Still worth the hour-or-so that I put into it.

    Now, looking at my backlog, I've got Grand Theft Auto IV and The Witcher. I'm considering going with The Witcher because it doesn't have GFWL tied in to it, though the time commitment seems kind of huge. Any advice from people that have played both of them?

  7. #15487
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,574
    I think the Deep Roads were so hated because Orzammar was so good. You go through this amazing atmosphere, and then it's just an incredibly long linear dungeon run with the same enemies over and over and two obnoxious bosses. Branka was a completely unnecessary boss after the darkspawn hive.

    On a separate note, I don't know how EA expects Dragon Age to be a long-running series. It just doesn't have the content in its lore. It barely had the content for DA:O. Eventually people are going to be tired of fighting revenants, darkspawn, spiders, and demons.
    Last edited by Internet; 18-06-2013 at 04:53 PM.

  8. #15488
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,397
    I thought the bosses where fine, the issue was the rest of the deep roads being filled with so many little fights that were as someone said earlier, just tedious because you were (at least I was) an unkillable god to most darkspawn. I liked Deep Roads for it's history and the idea it presented, but disliked the amount of encounters in it.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  9. #15489
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    So I finished Fallout: New Vegas finally. I chose the independent ending, which actually turned out better than expected. Great game. After that I felt like playing something else, but I didn't necessarily feel like starting something too in depth, so I started Dear Esther and finished it in one sitting. Man that game is short. I still don't know how I feel about it; I know that I enjoyed it (and the caves chapter was probably the prettiest thing that I've ever seen in a video game), but I have reservations. Still worth the hour-or-so that I put into it.

    Now, looking at my backlog, I've got Grand Theft Auto IV and The Witcher. I'm considering going with The Witcher because it doesn't have GFWL tied in to it, though the time commitment seems kind of huge. Any advice from people that have played both of them?
    Both require a huge amount of time, excpet the Witcher is good and doesn't require that you spend some of that time shopping, bowling and playing pool. The sequel s better so I'd play that first if you haven't. The Witcher is excellent as well but it's pretty unfriendly and requires investment. You won't enjoy it unless you really commit to that, and it's a lot to commit too. But if you have the time and inclination, which I suspect you probably do given you've finished New Vegas, I highly recommend it.

    GTA IV is an absolute marvel to observe as a clockwork city but the game itself is completely throw away and very confused.

    RE Dragon Age-coming back to Orzammar as an exiled noble was an incredible moment in gaming for me, and I think added a lot to that region. Beating my usurping sibling in the Proving Grounds was a genuinely epic moment, and discovering lost Thaigs and the remnants of "my" civilization was very powerful and sobering. There was a real sense of shared memory and history cultivated between the dwarfs and you as a player if you played the Dwarven Noble origin. The feeling of civilization and stability you get from exploring Orzammar before being thrown "out there" into the no-man's land of the Deep Roads really helped to create a strong narrative from the outset that explored the better themes of DA in a way that the other origins missed. It tied you into the fate and history of the world as a whole from the outset rather than just being a basically personal matter as was the case with the other options.
    Last edited by sonson; 18-06-2013 at 05:30 PM.

  10. #15490
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    On a separate note, I don't know how EA expects Dragon Age to be a long-running series. It just doesn't have the content in its lore. It barely had the content for DA:O. Eventually people are going to be tired of fighting revenants, darkspawn, spiders, and demons.
    I imagine the main stumbling block for the number of enemy types is not the lore but technical considerations. I imagine if they could magically include 100 different types of enemy, with proper animations and sound, you'd see the lore easily expanded to fit such things in. Given the constraints, what they should look to do is retire some old enemies and bring some new ones in every game. You can see this approach be effective in series such as Elder Scrolls and Mass Effect.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  11. #15491
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I think the Deep Roads were so hated because Orzammar was so good. You go through this amazing atmosphere, and then it's just an incredibly long linear dungeon run with the same enemies over and over and two obnoxious bosses. Branka was a completely unnecessary boss after the darkspawn hive.

    On a separate note, I don't know how EA expects Dragon Age to be a long-running series. It just doesn't have the content in its lore. It barely had the content for DA:O. Eventually people are going to be tired of fighting revenants, darkspawn, spiders, and demons.
    Funny, I always felt Orzammar was an extremely weak area of the game. Not that any other location was much better. It looked as if it were made out of plastic, without any sense of scale. Its size and empty streets didn't help. Honestly, I never did get why DAO receives so much praise. The combat is tedious, the writing isn't amazing, and aesthetically it looks terrible. Generic lore can only carry a game so far.

  12. #15492
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,574
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I imagine the main stumbling block for the number of enemy types is not the lore but technical considerations. I imagine if they could magically include 100 different types of enemy, with proper animations and sound, you'd see the lore easily expanded to fit such things in. Given the constraints, what they should look to do is retire some old enemies and bring some new ones in every game. You can see this approach be effective in series such as Elder Scrolls and Mass Effect.
    It's just that at a basic level the archetypes of enemies seems deficient too.
    DA has darkspawn (genlocks, hurlocks, ogres, shrieks, ghouls and broodmothers);
    Undead (Revenants, corpses, skeletons);
    Natural creatures (Wolves, Spiders, Bears, Brontos, Deepstalkers, Dogs);
    Demons (Pride, Desire, Rage, Sloth, Hunger) and abominations (Sylvan, Wisp, all the undead);
    Dragons(youngling to spirit);
    Sentients (Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Qunari, (werewolves?))
    Constructs (Varteral and Golems).

    Of those categories only Darkspawn, natural creatures, and demons have room to easily and substantially grow within the lore. Darkspawn can grow, but the aesthetic is already dated. Demons are hard to differentiate past their archetype. Natural creatures offer the greatest room for growth, but that comes at the cost of giving up familiar areas.

    But the real problem is that out of seven archetypes either all or most of Dragons, Undead, Sentients, Constructs, and Natural creatures are really retread fantasy, and every player of Dragon Age is intimately familiar with Darkspawn by now. They have no way of setting up new archetypes, other than an invasion from a strange land, and the universe isn't really set up that way. Mass Effect can always introduce new aliens. Bethesda can keep on making weird shit, hell they have 13 different varieties of sentient cat. Dragon Age is relatively stuck saying "it came from the fade," and eventually that gets old.
    Last edited by Internet; 18-06-2013 at 08:14 PM.

  13. #15493
    Moderator Anthile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    People's Republic of Germany
    Posts
    2,678
    Continuing MGS2, I just beat Vamp the non-lethal way which turned out to be incredibly frustrating. A shame the game never seems to acknowledge it when you take out bosses non-lethally which is understandable but it makes the whole ordeal seem kinda hollow.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

    to wound the autumnal city.

  14. #15494
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    To be fair, though, there were a lot of tips to even the score with that game. Straight from the programmer's notes
    Oh aye, it wasn't any real bother to do. I just resented having to dig out a pen and paper to start scrawling notes. Especially in a MP game where two assholes are heckling you the entire time and will never let you hear the end of it if you lose a game.

  15. #15495
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Oh aye, it wasn't any real bother to do. I just resented having to dig out a pen and paper to start scrawling notes. Especially in a MP game where two assholes are heckling you the entire time and will never let you hear the end of it if you lose a game.
    You know what sport could do with more heckling?

    Golf.

    I'd pay to see a pro golf tourney where the audience is filled with Scottish and Aussie drunks telling the guy in the funky looking pants to FUCKING SWING ALREADY
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  16. #15496
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,452
    To be fair, pretty much anything would liven up golf.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  17. #15497
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    To be fair, pretty much anything would liven up golf.
    You should hear my plan to turn it into a contact sport.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  18. #15498
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,313
    I always thought golf could provide justification for the existence of landmines.

  19. #15499
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,806
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

  20. #15500
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus c-Row's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anus Mundi, Germany
    Posts
    1,284
    Started Remember Me this evening... I really love the look of Neo Paris and all the ideas they have put into it, but for God's sake, let me play the game! I don't need another dramatic camera movement every 5 seconds! The most offending part so far was taking away the possibility to walk back from where I just came from after getting close to my contact person but before triggering the dialogue. Why would you do that? I knew there was another collectible in this area, but the end of the cutscene I can't avoid anymore puts me on the opposite side of a door which I apparently can't open from the inside, nor are there any other checkpoints I can go back to other than the one the game has just set.

    The combo system is alright - maybe Alec is just an old bum whose short term memory isn't the best anymore, but I had no problem recreating the combos I just edited seconds ago. Actually, his whole review was so full of snark (compared to your usual RPS article) that I felt he didn't really want to like the game at all.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •