Page 778 of 1241 FirstFirst ... 278678728768776777778779780788828878 ... LastLast
Results 15,541 to 15,560 of 24802
    I am tempted to start again. I never finished it the first time around and quit while in some dungeon against so witch or other so I doubt I can get out of that fight.
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    What with the new Combat rebalance I’m Tempted to give The Witcher 2 another play through, siding with Iorveth and the Hippies this time round. Might do it on Dark Mode though as unless I’m missing something it sounds like things are going to be a lot easier. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing in a game which is all about the big picture.
    I'm thinking of replaying The Witcher 2 soon as well. I sided against Iorveth and the anarchists (band name?) last time as well, and as far as I hear the game's second half is completely different depending on that decision.

Anyway, what the hell is Dark Mode?
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopig View Post
    I am tempted to start again. I never finished it the first time around and quit while in some dungeon against so witch or other so I doubt I can get out of that fight.
    Dude you should definitely play through the game at least once. It's like Game of Thrones The Game only way more colorful and exotic. Love that Slavic mythology they got going on...
    steam

Yeah I got to act 4 and was enjoying it. Got stuck on a fight so took a break and never went back for ages, by the time I did go back I had forgotten the combat system lol.
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopig View Post
    Probably the Wraith in the old Asylum. You kind of have to cheese it with traps and bombs unless you've levelled up elsewhere first.

That said the new tweaks should make it easier, unless I'm missing something it would appear that they're going to make the game more like the combat as rebalanced in the first game, which was itself inspired by wanting to stick to Witcher lore. The premise is that Witchers are virtually invincible against a few foes but as vulnerable as anyone to back a stab and more prone to it on account of their recklessness and complacency. In keeping with that it looks like you're going to have to worry about manoeuvring a lot less, and focus on just making sure you don't get backed into a corner or surrounded. Whereas beforehand you had to worry about both until you became high level.

@ADO-Game is completely different after making the choice, yes. You play as one or other side in the War. Humans focus more on the political drama, whereas the Elves and Dwarves are more sort of traditional fantasy fare, both are excellent at what they do. Chapter Three branches out somewhat as well depending on choices made in Two, not to the same extent but in a way which would be considered major by almost any other game's standard.

Dark Mode is essentially Dark Souls-esque combat, every enemy requires a methodical approach, anything can kill you in a few goes, even a lowly nekker, you *will* die if you get surrounded as two stabs in the back will finish you, fighting anything without the appropriate Oils will be a struggle and so on.

It also comes with some equipment and lore unqiue to the mode, the former of which makes things easier when you collect it thus rather defeating the point somewhat. It's more of a Game + than anything for that reason.

Wouldn't be inclined to bother usually but as I noted I think the mod is going to make things maybe too simple as far as combat goes and I really enjoyed the combat first time round so am keen for them to play a big part again. Suspect I would find Dark Mode tedious otherwise, especially given how much dodging is required.
    Last edited by sonson; 21-06-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Shit I love Dark Souls so I might give Dark Mode a try. The combat in TW2 is wrongly curved in difficulty, hard at start and easier as you go on. DkS has the same problem but to a much lesser extent; it's more skill based in Dark Souls, you get better but the fights are always tough as nails. I digress...

I'll have to play it soon then. Try out the new combat mod, dark mode and the alternate story path. I really loved the game on 1st play through, although the last chapter was kinda clunky (the Dragon boss was a nightmare of game design).
    steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant god View Post
    Nicolas Winding Refn is thanked in the Hotline Miami Credits. He's the director of Drive, a (wonderful) film by which the game unquestionably is influenced (especially the soundtrack is similarly awesome as HLM's). And yes, the rest are influences from various Tarantinos, noir films or japanese classics.
    Structurally and thematically speaking, HLM and Drive have very little in common. It's the difference between saying "I want a film that looks like this." and "I want a film that plays like this."

I agree. making a game from a movie or the other way around will go horribly wrong, if you don't do the work and have some own, original ideas. They do, however, have in common a certain style, from the music, the presentation of violence to the 80's throwbacks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant god View Post
    They do, however, have in common a certain style, from the music, the presentation of violence to the 80's throwbacks.
    The same could be said of L.A. Noire and Chinatown, but, well...

Anyway, I can't complain about the Drive-spurred synth revival we've been enjoying.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    Shit I love Dark Souls so I might give Dark Mode a try. The combat in TW2 is wrongly curved in difficulty, hard at start and easier as you go on. DkS has the same problem but to a much lesser extent; it's more skill based in Dark Souls, you get better but the fights are always tough as nails. I digress...

I'll have to play it soon then. Try out the new combat mod, dark mode and the alternate story path. I really loved the game on 1st play through, although the last chapter was kinda clunky (the Dragon boss was a nightmare of game design).
    Dark Mode is NOT Dark Souls.

Dark Mode is The Witcher 2's combat but MUCH more brutal and unforgiving. But whereas Dark Souls would counter that with skills and dodging, TW2 counters that by encouraging kiting and using the arena to your advantage. I actually really enjoyed it, but mostly just because it is a "realistic" game in that you have a good chance of winning 1on1 but are completely screwed with even 2on1 or 3on1 without lots of signs and bombs.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Played Rise of Nations for the first time, me and a friend vs two AI. 3 hour game. It's a great, great game, however the instant unit construction sort of ruins it once you get that tech. I think perhaps the default research time could be toned down as we got to the modern military stage far too quickly and ended up only really attacking then. Ah well, lookin forward to playing more.
    All of the pacing (and nearly everything else) is adjustable in the skirmish setup, so that's something you can easily fix. I tend to agree that the default tech speed is a bit fast. RoN is still easily my favorite "pure" RTS, it's just so very good at what it does.

Edit: Oops, missed Giaddon's far more timely reply. Ah well, it's still as good an excuse as any to praise RoN.
    Last edited by vinraith; 21-06-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Apropos of nothing: If you go to the official forums for Company of Heroes 2, you will lose your faith in humanity.

Closet Fourth Reichers, Russian revisionists, people attempting to "balance" the game for their side by winning the forum wars, and the occasional noob wondering why we don't have dogs carrying mines running under tanks.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

That is true for any game with a historical setting. Just look at the forums for the Paradox strategy games or the ones for Red Orchestra/Rising Storm. People will write essays why their preferred faction is too weak, the devs are racists and quote about a thousand wikipedia pages. Too much exposure will always result in a dumbpiphany.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    and the occasional noob wondering why we don't have dogs carrying mines running under tanks.
    And now we know how the dog in CoD:Ghosts is going to horribly die.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Managed to put a space ship in orbit in demo version of KSP. Not my design

next goal is to crash land on the mun.

edit:
    And mission accomplished. sortof by accident.

I shot towards moon but I missed it and 3 days after launch my little spaceship was finally going back towards Earth. During return trip Mun's orbit and my spacecraft trajectory intersected and I managed to crash into dark side of the Mun.

really fun game.
    Last edited by Lukasz; 21-06-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Dark Mode is NOT Dark Souls.

Dark Mode is The Witcher 2's combat but MUCH more brutal and unforgiving. But whereas Dark Souls would counter that with skills and dodging, TW2 counters that by encouraging kiting and using the arena to your advantage. I actually really enjoyed it, but mostly just because it is a "realistic" game in that you have a good chance of winning 1on1 but are completely screwed with even 2on1 or 3on1 without lots of signs and bombs.
    I found my experience with it (up to end of Chapter 1) very similar to playing a thief in Dark Souls, lethal one on one, fragile if in combat for too long, agile, reliant on more than primary weapon, avoid/disperse groups at all costs, focus leveling on maneuverability and criticals. The main difference was that it was getting easier as I progressed.

@Track:

Personally wouldn't recommend Witcher Combat Rebalance mod for a first play through. It's excellenet but makes the game a lot more involved than Vanilla and I reckon unless you're prepared to give it ages you'll either miss too much of the rest of the game or simply find it too intense if you do it first time.

Hi Res tex's here and here if you have a decent machine
    Last edited by sonson; 21-06-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I picked-up DYAD in the Gog sale - I was curious about it but not curious enough to pay $15 - and it's - erm - it's OK.

It's Tempest meets that BrainPipe game - I did the first level with no issues than tried it's "Trophy" incarnation and got nowhere.

So I did Level 2 - again easy - Trophy was a WTF moment

So I did Level 3 - again easy - went back to Level 1 and did the trophy first time - I'm DIALLED IN now

Level 2 Trophy - nope - I've not sussed the 'listen to the music' idea yet, it seems (tho I get close by using other cues)

It's not bad - if you like neon/Minter/psych graphics and trippy tunes it's probably worth the $5 anyway :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I also had one more try of the Rogue Legacy demo - I really want to like it because there's much about it which is smart but a combination of frankly nasty controls (on the 360 pad which MOST people will be using) and some nasty balance/design issues mean I'm giving-up on it.

Biggest gripe?? Every time you die you get to spend the cash you earned before you died - but you must give-up what you don't spend before re-entering the castle. After about 20 deaths, you'll start to find yourself with not enough money to actually buy anything and so you just basically wasted your time - and that's stupid.

They need to either adjust the money drop rate or put-in some cheaper items (pots?) or cap the 'take' when you re-enter the castle (let you keep upto half the cheapest upgrade you have outstanding perhaps?) or get rid of it entirely (my preference).

When I raised this as a possible 'demo limitation' they said it wasn't (I thought they'd maybe capped something in the demo) but their suggestion that I 'look around for money' was akin to telling me to 'grind' - in a Ghosts and Goblins Roguealike.

I also think the random room generation throws up some fucking nasty combinations of enemies sometimes too - add to that the fact a lot of your skills/bonuses etc. are, frankly, useless and

Ah - it's a shame, a lovely idea but it falls some way short in the execution dept.

Maybe they're issues in the demo they'll fix in the full game - none of them are insoluble, it's more a case of "all the elements are there but they need a TONNE of polish applied to make them work together".

If you like nails-hard 2D platformer/combat games - this is definately for you - but it's brutally unfair and it breaks my gaming golden rule 'never waste the players time'.
    Last edited by trjp; 22-06-2013 at 04:20 AM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Personally wouldn't recommend Witcher Combat Rebalance mod for a first play through. It's excellenet but makes the game a lot more involved than Vanilla and I reckon unless you're prepared to give it ages you'll either miss too much of the rest of the game or simply find it too intense if you do it first time.
    Ah, thanks for the tip. I actually thought that the re-balance made the game easier; if it makes it more involved as you said, though, then I'll avoid it.
    Last edited by Track; 22-06-2013 at 04:23 PM.

I tried to install the FCR mod for the Witcher 2 today but it didn't seem to work. I've had the Witcher 2 on my hard drive since I first downloaded it from Direct2Drive (now Gamefly) and through patching, Enhanced-Editioning and modding it seems to have picked up some... quirks. Windows says the game is not actually installed, the launcher doesn't work, and neither does the configuration utility, but I can start and play the game just fine. Only none of the FCR mod's features are actually functional. I guess I better redownload the entire thing...